Results 1 to 35 of 35

Thread: Gammas: your impressions and opinions of other people

  1. #1
    Creepy-

    Default Gammas: your impressions and opinions of other people

    I have some questions for the Gammas here:

    How important are first impressions to you?

    Do you tend to form an opinion of someone the first time you meet them, or does it take a lot longer?

    Once your impression of a person is set, is it concrete/unchangeable, or are you likely to revise it as time goes on?

  2. #2
    Slippery when wet Simon Ssmall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    ✈ ↺
    Posts
    2,231
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default



    Looking for an Archnemesis. Willing applicants contact via PM.

    ENFp - Fi 7w6 sp/sx
    The Ineffable IEI
    The Einstein ENTp

    johari nohari
    http://www.mypersonality.info/ssmall/

  3. #3
    Creepy-

    Default

    Haha, maybe - but hopefully not at this distance....

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by songofsappho View Post
    How important are first impressions to you?
    Not important at all. It's unrealistic to assume that first impression tells much about the person. Often the first impression is a total facade.

    People who are going to deny this, just never have gone beyond that to see that they are wrong, and probably about a lot of people.

    Do you tend to form an opinion of someone the first time you meet them, or does it take a lot longer?
    It takes long. I try to have as accurate view on the person as possible (well about all things in general), and it takes a lot of time to accumulate that information.

    Once your impression of a person is set, is it concrete/unchangeable, or are you likely to revise it as time goes on?
    It changes based on the information I have gathered. If I gain new more reliable information about anything, I just change my views.
    ...the human race will disappear. Other races will appear and disappear in turn. The sky will become icy and void, pierced by the feeble light of half-dead stars. Which will also disappear. Everything will disappear. And what human beings do is just as free of sense as the free motion of elementary particles. Good, evil, morality, feelings? Pure 'Victorian fictions'.

    INTp

  5. #5
    ILE - ENTp 1981slater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Spain
    TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Posts
    4,866
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    90% of Gammas hate alphas, betas and gammas.
    90% of Gammas do judge people.
    90% of Gammas are jealous.
    90% of Gammas are hateful.
    ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

    To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

  6. #6
    Slippery when wet Simon Ssmall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    ✈ ↺
    Posts
    2,231
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1981slater View Post
    90% of Gammas hate alphas, betas and gammas.
    90% of Gammas do judge people.
    90% of Gammas are jealous.
    90% of Gammas are hateful.
    You seem to be fond of them. Well at least they like Deltas...
    Looking for an Archnemesis. Willing applicants contact via PM.

    ENFp - Fi 7w6 sp/sx
    The Ineffable IEI
    The Einstein ENTp

    johari nohari
    http://www.mypersonality.info/ssmall/

  7. #7
    ILE - ENTp 1981slater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Spain
    TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Posts
    4,866
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ssmall View Post
    You seem to be fond of them.

    The gammas I know in person search for complicated ways of finding reasons for criticizing me, they do anything but admitting that they are jealous of me. I'm sure these may be related to nationality, but I've noticed gammas around here seem to be nice people after all.
    ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

    To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

  8. #8
    Hot Message FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Freiburg im Breisgau
    TIM
    ENTj
    Posts
    15,624
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by songofsappho View Post
    How important are first impressions to you?
    Not important. There are too many variables that could influence the behavior of a person for the amount of time I can interact with them during a frist impression, so it's not very realistic or useful to try to understand a person from such a small amount of information.

    Do you tend to form an opinion of someone the first time you meet them, or does it take a lot longer?
    I do form an opinion, but it's only a very weak one, and gets stronger the more I get to know the person.

    Once your impression of a person is set, is it concrete/unchangeable, or are you likely to revise it as time goes on?
    I think that up to a point, I can revise it. Basically: whenever I have not considered yet if I like or dislike the person, then I can easily change my opinion. However, if I have gone as far as understainding my liking or lack thereof, it's harder to change my mind.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

  9. #9
    ILE - ENTp 1981slater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Spain
    TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Posts
    4,866
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default x

    FDG, you must be the nicest (and perhaps the only one) gamma in the world
    ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

    To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

  10. #10
    calenwen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Cardiff
    TIM
    ISXj
    Posts
    949
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Eh, first impressions aren't that important. I might get a "feeling" for someone when first meeting them, but outwardly I'm very neutral towards people until I've spent a fair amount of time with them.
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.
    John Muir

  11. #11
    Grand Inquisitor Bardia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    TIM
    ESI
    Posts
    1,258
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by songofsappho View Post
    I have some questions for the Gammas here:

    How important are first impressions to you?
    Not terribly important but they aren't useless either. Sometimes they give accurate representations of what a person is like.

    Quote Originally Posted by songofsappho View Post
    Do you tend to form an opinion of someone the first time you meet them, or does it take a lot longer?
    I do form an opinion but usually not a strong one. Every once in a while I do meet someone that I think is really cool or a complete ass.

    Quote Originally Posted by songofsappho View Post
    Once your impression of a person is set, is it concrete/unchangeable, or are you likely to revise it as time goes on?
    Once of I have an impression of a person it is usually somewhat difficult to change. Not impossible but difficult. It usually doesn't take me too long to figure out if I like or dislike someone, if I want to be friends with them or not.
    “No psychologist should pretend to understand what he does not understand... Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand nothing.” -Anton Chekhov

    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Bardia0
    http://kevan.org/nohari?name=Bardia0

  12. #12
    Khamelion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    U.S.
    TIM
    SEE-Fi 6w7 sx/so
    Posts
    3,828
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    i take my time forming opinions....i over analyze everything they do or say and why they are doing it.

    first impressions can be important, but its foolish to form conclusions from them. very shallow.
    SEE Unknown Subtype
    6w7 sx/so



    [21:29] hitta: idealism is just the gap between the thought of death
    [21:29] hitta: and not dying
    .

  13. #13
    07490's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    there
    Posts
    3,047
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    Hmm, I don't really focus on what they're doing or why. It's just not important to me. I'll meet someone for the first time and pay hardly any attention to what they're doing, tbh. Usually people say the wrong things or look awkward at first because they're nervous, shy, or just not open to me yet—I'm not going to analyze the things they say. It just isn't of much significance to me.

    However, I do tend to gather impressions of people when I first meet them, but it's by observing something else. I suppose you could call it a person's undertone? Like if you meet some girl who acts extroverted and bubbly, it's not hard for me to look past that and see one general face to her—a more solid, internal, static thing that serves as a core despite her outward expressions. I guess it's like spotting depression in someone even if they act like they're on top of the world. And yeah, if I do meet someone that looks like they're acting against who they are, it feels obvious to me. That sort of impression tends to last too, and I'll wonder if they'll ever start showing who [I think] they are. And even though I'm not going to really judge them for it, I still can't get over the sense of internal friction they give off, and I feel like I can't get close to people like that.

    I do trust my impressions, though. How I feel about them can and probably will change over time, but who I think they are pretty much stays the same.
    you are social instinct last?
    (D)IEE~FI-(C)SLE~Ni E-5w4(Sp/Sx)/7w8(So/Sp)/9w1(sp/sx)

    Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    1)
    A girl who I want to date, asks me: well first tell me how tall you are?
    My reply: well I will answer that, if you first tell me how much you weigh!

    2)
    A girl I was dating said she was oh so great at sex etc, but she didn't do blowjobs.
    My reply: Oh I'm really romantic etc, I just will never take you out to dinner.

  14. #14
    strrrng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    TIM
    Ni-IEI 4w3 sx/so
    Posts
    8,781
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by khamelion
    i take my time forming opinions....i over analyze everything they do or say and why they are doing it.
    Fe intentionality at it's finest.

    edit: I do this as well, except it doesn't feel like over-analyzing, because it happens very naturally and I'm very confident in the ability (as opposed to, say, over-indulging in Ti to establish some kind of competence in it, due to being more uncertain). 'People communicate everything, whether they want to or not'—basically sums up my view on said act. It's difficult online, easier through audio/video communication, but at its most optimal in person. Every little nuance in their face, every intonation, the slightest movement of their arm, etc.—all these discrete actions connote intentions, feelings, etc., which compile into a more coherent sequence... which eventually can be synthesized to understand the more prominent principles and facets of the the behaviors' meaning, etc. Such is the nature of Ti/Fe, in a nutshell. Fe with Ni makes for a focus on the person's latent behavioral trends; extracting internal sequences is attendant to noticing and distilling the central process behind the person/behavior. Then the patterns become more general processes, which can be applied in other contexts.

    I could care less about any "essential makeup" of a relation between me and another person. Fi seems to see that... to sort of find the person's core, from the vantage point of their own, and synthesize the two to get a gestalt sense of the nature of the connection that exists between them (distance, polarity). While interesting, this process would feel limiting to me, among other things.

    Yeah. I know this was about gammas, but differing viewpoints have already been presented, and digression is part of the decorum here, lol.

    edit again: kelly, it doesn't surprise me that you engage in said behavior at a higher frequency than me; it illustrates the contrast between Ni and Fe subtypes well IMO. Where the former uses Fe as a sort of tool to support Ni, the latter is naturally situated in that realm, rendering those internal sequences the prominent style of information that one processes.
    Last edited by strrrng; 01-08-2009 at 02:43 PM.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

  15. #15
    strrrng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    TIM
    Ni-IEI 4w3 sx/so
    Posts
    8,781
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mpiazza000 View Post
    you are social instinct last?
    How is that relevant?
    4w3-5w6-8w7

  16. #16
    calenwen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Cardiff
    TIM
    ISXj
    Posts
    949
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coolguy89 View Post
    Once of I have an impression of a person it is usually somewhat difficult to change. Not impossible but difficult. It usually doesn't take me too long to figure out if I like or dislike someone, if I want to be friends with them or not.
    likewise

    Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    Hmm, I don't really focus on what they're doing or why. It's just not important to me. I'll meet someone for the first time and pay hardly any attention to what they're doing, tbh. Usually people say the wrong things or look awkward at first because they're nervous, shy, or just not open to me yet—I'm not going to analyze the things they say. It just isn't of much significance to me.

    However, I do tend to gather impressions of people when I first meet them, but it's by observing something else. I suppose you could call it a person's undertone? Like if you meet some girl who acts extroverted and bubbly, it's not hard for me to look past that and see one general face to her—a more solid, internal, static thing that serves as a core despite her outward expressions. I guess it's like spotting depression in someone even if they act like they're on top of the world. And yeah, if I do meet someone that looks like they're acting against who they are, it feels obvious to me. That sort of impression tends to last too, and I'll wonder if they'll ever start showing who [I think] they are. And even though I'm not going to really judge them for it, I still can't get over the sense of internal friction they give off, and I feel like I can't get close to people like that.

    I do trust my impressions, though. How I feel about them can and probably will change over time, but who I think they are pretty much stays the same.
    I relate to pretty much all of this. I never over analyze the things that people say or do - I feel like people's intentions are always very clear to me.

    I strongly agree with the last part about people "acting against who they are" (which is a very eloquent way of putting it, I usually just say "fake" or something, haha) it really puts me off someone and I most likely won't pursue a relationship with them.
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.
    John Muir

  17. #17
    Khamelion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    U.S.
    TIM
    SEE-Fi 6w7 sx/so
    Posts
    3,828
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    . 'People communicate everything, whether they want to or not'—basically sums up my view on said act. It's difficult online, easier through audio/video communication, but at its most optimal in person. Every little nuance in their face, every intonation, the slightest movement of their arm, etc.—all these discrete actions connote intentions, feelings, etc., which compile into a more coherent sequence... which eventually can be synthesized to understand the more prominent principles and facets of the the behaviors' meaning, etc. Such is the nature of Ti/Fe, in a nutshell. Fe with Ni makes for a focus on the person's latent behavioral trends; extracting internal sequences is attendant to noticing and distilling the central process behind the person/behavior. Then the patterns become more general processes, which can be applied in other contexts.

    exactly...heh


    however i can relate with this too:

    Like if you meet some girl who acts extroverted and bubbly, it's not hard for me to look past that and see one general face to her—a more solid, internal, static thing that serves as a core despite her outward expressions. I guess it's like spotting depression in someone even if they act like they're on top of the world. And yeah, if I do meet someone that looks like they're acting against who they are, it feels obvious to me. That sort of impression tends to last too, and I'll wonder if they'll ever start showing who [I think] they are. And even though I'm not going to really judge them for it, I still can't get over the sense of internal friction they give off, and I feel like I can't get close to people like that.
    except that, i sort of try to fight this off. if i indulge in it I start to feel bad about it for some reason. but fighting it feels even worse...and i always want to go back to functioning this way....
    Last edited by Khamelion; 01-08-2009 at 04:13 PM.
    SEE Unknown Subtype
    6w7 sx/so



    [21:29] hitta: idealism is just the gap between the thought of death
    [21:29] hitta: and not dying
    .

  18. #18
    strrrng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    TIM
    Ni-IEI 4w3 sx/so
    Posts
    8,781
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Khamelion View Post
    exactly...heh
    yay for identicals

    however i can relate with this too:



    except that, i sort of try to fight this off. if i indulge in it I start to feel bad about it for some reason. but fighting it feels even worse...and i always want to go back to functioning this way....
    Right. Well, anyone can be perceptive about another person; the manner in which they go about doing it is what shows the functions. With Fi people, once that core makeup is established, the distance/connection between the two of them is set—and it's integral, so they are sort of compelled to behave in accordance with it. Whereas with Fe people, even if they induce the pattern in a person's behavior, they can continue to behave in the same/different way, because the perceptions are 'separate' from them (object-oriented). Plus, Fi peoples' assessments of others and relations tend to have a 'finished' quality to them; not only that, but they are immune to any externalizing/objectifying, aside from general trends perceived through Te which serve as beacons for potential shifts in the distance already established. Whereas Fe peoples' assessments, while finding recurring solidification from Ti connections and principles, are never really 'finished', because new trends and sequences continually manifest.

    But as far as character judgment goes, anyone with intelligence, self-respect and awareness should be fine.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

  19. #19
    07490's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    there
    Posts
    3,047
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by strrrng View Post
    How is that relevant?
    I think SX/SP stacking is by far the most complciated, emotionally instable and usually bring out the most interesting of characters. I think SO being last brings out an uncertainty in how to behave in society, SX being first ususally have strong energy but it conflicts with the inner withdrawn Sp which complaicate things worse. I definity can see that in Allie and Ashton, they can be really extrovert then very introvert too. BTW, be honest allie, do you see depressing within me?
    (D)IEE~FI-(C)SLE~Ni E-5w4(Sp/Sx)/7w8(So/Sp)/9w1(sp/sx)

    Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    1)
    A girl who I want to date, asks me: well first tell me how tall you are?
    My reply: well I will answer that, if you first tell me how much you weigh!

    2)
    A girl I was dating said she was oh so great at sex etc, but she didn't do blowjobs.
    My reply: Oh I'm really romantic etc, I just will never take you out to dinner.

  20. #20
    Haikus
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    MI
    TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Posts
    10,060
    Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    The problem with 'accurate information' though is how do you know if somebody is telling the truth or not?

    For example, one of my professors- I first saw him and pretty much had him pegged as the faggy professor type that lives too much in his head, means well, but lacks a spine, and is overly institutionalized. I didn't mean to be this harsh, but everything he was saying was annoying me.

    But then later on he kept talking about sports. And I had no idea if he was doing it just to fit in with the frat boys (that he probably masturbated over with on the internet), or if he was truly interested. Now, granted, he could have more depth than meets the eye and I was being a judgemental asshole. Or I was correct, and he was just lying so not to appear as a total dork. But how do you know for sure? I've always felt uncomfortable in social situations because I see past the veil so well. This has also led society to sometimes treat me as a predator. =/

  21. #21
    Haikus
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    MI
    TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Posts
    10,060
    Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Evidence has to be purely objective, not word-of-mouth (heresay) or something you simply write. The proof is in the pudding, as they say. Ideals are dangerous things, after all. So therefore, while this is interesting social stimulation, it lacks raw fact. Not that I mind, Te-ness is supposedly my polr after all. But just a consideration.

    So in that situation, over time- I would know if he was telling the truth or not, but I dropped out before I really could know. Sucks to be me I guess. I just sometimes have this creepy urge to go one on one with people and be all 'Come on, did you really mean what you said or did you just not want other people to treat you poorly?' Most humans are deeply sensitive and easily hurt, as we humans are, and fitting in is too important to us.

    Besides I've lied to the world lots of times, and other people have surely lied to me. For information to truly be accurate, I have to really see it. That is why it's so intriguing, but also frustrating, to find out 'who somebody is really like' and you can literally write eternal soap operas exploring said topics.

  22. #22
    strrrng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    TIM
    Ni-IEI 4w3 sx/so
    Posts
    8,781
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mpiazza000 View Post
    I think SX/SP stacking is by far the most complciated, emotionally instable and usually bring out the most interesting of characters. I think SO being last brings out an uncertainty in how to behave in society, SX being first ususally have strong energy but it conflicts with the inner withdrawn Sp which complaicate things worse. I definity can see that in Allie and Ashton, they can be really extrovert then very introvert too. BTW, be honest allie, do you see depressing within me?
    I agree that sx/sp is the most conflicted stacking. The drive for intimate connection is sometimes either confined by, or misguidedly applied through, environmental pressure points; and the dormant so instinct makes for a pretty insular attitude—one which entails a search for strong connection, while never concerning one's self with expanding to find a place in the larger context.

    I just wondered how it was relevant to the topic at hand—getting impressions of, and making judgments on, people.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

  23. #23
    07490's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    there
    Posts
    3,047
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by strrrng View Post
    I agree that sx/sp is the most conflicted stacking. The drive for intimate connection is sometimes either confined by, or misguidedly applied through, environmental pressure points; and the dormant so instinct makes for a pretty insular attitude—one which entails a search for strong connection, while never concerning one's self with expanding to find a place in the larger context.

    I just wondered how it was relevant to the topic at hand—getting impressions of, and making judgments on, people.
    no it doesn't have anything to do with it actually.
    (D)IEE~FI-(C)SLE~Ni E-5w4(Sp/Sx)/7w8(So/Sp)/9w1(sp/sx)

    Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    1)
    A girl who I want to date, asks me: well first tell me how tall you are?
    My reply: well I will answer that, if you first tell me how much you weigh!

    2)
    A girl I was dating said she was oh so great at sex etc, but she didn't do blowjobs.
    My reply: Oh I'm really romantic etc, I just will never take you out to dinner.

  24. #24
    strrrng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    TIM
    Ni-IEI 4w3 sx/so
    Posts
    8,781
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mpiazza000 View Post
    no it doesn't have anything to do with it actually.
    Oh lol. cool. yay for instincts.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

  25. #25
    strrrng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    TIM
    Ni-IEI 4w3 sx/so
    Posts
    8,781
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    lol
    4w3-5w6-8w7

  26. #26
    strrrng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    TIM
    Ni-IEI 4w3 sx/so
    Posts
    8,781
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Allie
    However, I do tend to gather impressions of people when I first meet them, but it's by observing something else. I suppose you could call it a person's undertone? Like if you meet some girl who acts extroverted and bubbly, it's not hard for me to look past that and see one general face to her—a more solid, internal, static thing that serves as a core despite her outward expressions. I guess it's like spotting depression in someone even if they act like they're on top of the world. And yeah, if I do meet someone that looks like they're acting against who they are, it feels obvious to me. That sort of impression tends to last too, and I'll wonder if they'll ever start showing who [I think] they are. And even though I'm not going to really judge them for it, I still can't get over the sense of internal friction they give off, and I feel like I can't get close to people like that.
    One similarity and difference to be noted here, is the nature of Fi vs. Ni. They both focus on 'essences' of sorts, being internal field functions (distillation), but go about finding said things in different ways, and in different realms. I felt it was relevant because, reflecting back on the posts in this thread, I felt a certain overlap in perceptions of people.

    As far as my impressions of people go, I've already mentioned that they aren't static. What Fi does, is find the essential components that constitute the person, in relation to the subject. Like finding a self-contained state of energy, and feeling exactly how it resonates with you (tereg gave a great metaphor of one of those static electricity globes a while ago). And it stays self-contained. But then, you have Ni, which is more about a contextual kind of essence. It's not about a latent core or connection, but about a central process governing a given thing. How this manifests... when I gather impressions of people, it's always done in a "this is where they've been and this is where they're going" kind of way; I look at their 'movement' as it pertains to various contexts. It's sort of like a fluid gleaning. And once I see what it is, it takes the form of "this is who they've always been and who they always will be," because the theme has been distilled. Fi may take a similar stance, as far as seeing their internal makeup, but Ni will be much more malleable; more patterns may evince themselves, but it will all revolve around that theme. Where Fi seems to disregard more information, as it is deemed irrelevant to the core components (static).

    So, when taken in light of the different field pairings in quadras, these similarities and differences sort of shed light on the respectively varying attitudes.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

  27. #27
    calenwen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Cardiff
    TIM
    ISXj
    Posts
    949
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by strrrng View Post
    One similarity and difference to be noted here, is the nature of Fi vs. Ni. They both focus on 'essences' of sorts, being internal field functions (distillation), but go about finding said things in different ways, and in different realms. I felt it was relevant because, reflecting back on the posts in this thread, I felt a certain overlap in perceptions of people.

    As far as my impressions of people go, I've already mentioned that they aren't static. What Fi does, is find the essential components that constitute the person, in relation to the subject. Like finding a self-contained state of energy, and feeling exactly how it resonates with you (tereg gave a great metaphor of one of those static electricity globes a while ago). And it stays self-contained. But then, you have Ni, which is more about a contextual kind of essence. It's not about a latent core or connection, but about a central process governing a given thing. How this manifests... when I gather impressions of people, it's always done in a "this is where they've been and this is where they're going" kind of way; I look at their 'movement' as it pertains to various contexts. It's sort of like a fluid gleaning. And once I see what it is, it takes the form of "this is who they've always been and who they always will be," because the theme has been distilled. Fi may take a similar stance, as far as seeing their internal makeup, but Ni will be much more malleable; more patterns may evince themselves, but it will all revolve around that theme. Where Fi seems to disregard more information, as it is deemed irrelevant to the core components (static).

    So, when taken in light of the different field pairings in quadras, these similarities and differences sort of shed light on the respectively varying attitudes.
    Hm, very interesting. Thank you for posting.
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.
    John Muir

  28. #28
    strrrng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    TIM
    Ni-IEI 4w3 sx/so
    Posts
    8,781
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by calenwen View Post
    Hm, very interesting. Thank you for posting.
    No problem
    4w3-5w6-8w7

  29. #29

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    TIM
    ILI
    Posts
    2,916
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by songofsappho View Post
    I have some questions for the Gammas here:

    How important are first impressions to you?
    not very important i think.

    Quote Originally Posted by songofsappho View Post
    Do you tend to form an opinion of someone the first time you meet them, or does it take a lot longer?
    nope. it usually takes awhile to form an opinion of someone.

    Quote Originally Posted by songofsappho View Post
    Once your impression of a person is set, is it concrete/unchangeable, or are you likely to revise it as time goes on?
    it wouldn't change easily.
    INTp
    sx/sp

  30. #30
    crazedrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    moon
    Posts
    4,885
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    since when is khamelion not SEE-Fi?
    INTp

  31. #31
    strrrng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    TIM
    Ni-IEI 4w3 sx/so
    Posts
    8,781
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crazedrat View Post
    since when is khamelion not SEE-Fi?
    Since she constantly exhibits Fe-INFp behaviors and ways of interpreting things. Look no further than her posts in this thread for an illustration of the Fe preference.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

  32. #32
    Khamelion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    U.S.
    TIM
    SEE-Fi 6w7 sx/so
    Posts
    3,828
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default





    i honestly know nothing

    i go through 2 phases.

    phase 1, gamma feels righht, beta is clearly wrong

    phase 2, beta starts to excite me and make sense, gamma gets put on back burner.



    then the feeling instability and alienation at the end of phase 2 starts. making me question everything alllllllllll over again.
    SEE Unknown Subtype
    6w7 sx/so



    [21:29] hitta: idealism is just the gap between the thought of death
    [21:29] hitta: and not dying
    .

  33. #33
    crazedrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    moon
    Posts
    4,885
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Just read the function descriptions and decide which dominant function you have. how hard is it? You've been on the forum long enough to determine your dominant function. ..
    well, if you're INFp-Fe then that would make your dad your dual. Do you have dual relations with him?
    INTp

  34. #34
    Khamelion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    U.S.
    TIM
    SEE-Fi 6w7 sx/so
    Posts
    3,828
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crazedrat View Post
    Just read the function descriptions and decide which dominant function you have. how hard is it? You've been on the forum long enough to determine your dominant function. ..
    well, if you're INFp-Fe then that would make your dad your dual. Do you have dual relations with him?

    I can tell the things I value, but it is harder for me to figure out what functions I use the most....

    ....I think I make it a point to act differently around different people. Use different ones to make interactions easy most of the time. Easier for me anyway....heh. Another tactic that is easy for me is to not act like anything and see how people respond to you.

    And Im not sure I have dual relations with my dad.....probably not....
    SEE Unknown Subtype
    6w7 sx/so



    [21:29] hitta: idealism is just the gap between the thought of death
    [21:29] hitta: and not dying
    .

  35. #35
    jessica129's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,122
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Khamelion View Post




    i honestly know nothing

    i go through 2 phases.

    phase 1, gamma feels righht, beta is clearly wrong

    phase 2, beta starts to excite me and make sense, gamma gets put on back burner.



    then the feeling instability and alienation at the end of phase 2 starts. making me question everything alllllllllll over again.
    ha, that's exactly how I feel when people mention Beta to me. For whatever it's worth, you've always came off SEE to me. Don't run from SEE, they're great

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •