Hybrid View

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Change

I was wondering about rationals and irrationals and change. But thought I'd open it up to all types to respond.

What is your self assessment with change in the workplace?

Say, you found out about a position being eliminated that would affect you, or maybe removal of a system that you use regularly. What about just hearing about a big change that doesn't affect you directly?

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Changes happen in my workplace on a near monthly basis and it doesn't bother me at all. I pick things up extremely quickly and don't stress about anything. The general attitude is "MEH, WHO CARES". But then again, I guess for my answer to be valid, I should care a little about my job before answering this question...

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uncontrollable change is evil.
    “No psychologist should pretend to understand what he does not understand... Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand nothing.” -Anton Chekhov

http://kevan.org/johari?name=Bardia0
    http://kevan.org/nohari?name=Bardia0

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Carla View Post
    Lol, that's what I was thinking.
    was thinking whether this was worth responding to, but i see there could be genuine confusion about it. I meant, "you don't have to think about it in terms of whether you're rational or irrational (although you can include this dichotomy in your response)."

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i dislike it if the company were to decide on a change, and not inform their staff till the very last minute.
    if there was gonna be change that would affect me, i'd prefer to know about it before hand (not last minute), and the details.
    the details of what is to be changed is important information to me.

given the example above, if the notice of the change was given in advance, and there's information on what is gonna replace the old system, i don't think i'd be bothered that much.

i remember interning at IBM and the person in-charge would just tell me on the day itself that there was to be a change of plans and move me to different projects each time. it irritated me that i had already settled on an idea of doing something, and he then tells me last minute to go somewhere else, and not tell me what i was gonna be doing there. he would tell me nothing of the job scope. and when i asked him, he himself was not even sure.
    INTp
    sx/sp

***el X Mercenary
    TIM
    Te-ISTp
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I much prefer routine and stability.

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    I dislike when things are changing around me that I have no control over, but I'm fine with initiating change myself. I just really hate when you don't have control/influence over the things affecting you. Bleh.
    Yes, to this.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kioshi View Post
    Change management and leadership is the essence of what I do.

I'm at my best in environments where change is ever present and uncertainty is at its highest. Environments where survival depends on constant development and relationships have to be continually re-evaluated.
    Sounds like Hell to me. What type are you again?
    “No psychologist should pretend to understand what he does not understand... Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand nothing.” -Anton Chekhov

http://kevan.org/johari?name=Bardia0
    http://kevan.org/nohari?name=Bardia0

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I change clothes twice a day. I change my position in the chair when it gets uncomfortable. I change what I eat from day to day. I change moods depending on the weather. I change my mind when necessary. I don't think anything else needs changed.

or maybe removal of a system that you use regularly.
    Ouch. I'd by helpless. I'd write an essay. (That's what I do when I'm mad.) I'd tell the boss exactly why he's a total idiot for allowing that system to be removed. I'd explain how my performance will inevitably decline without that system; I'd go from extremely useful to practically useless.

(This sorta happened at a theatre rehearsal. I set my script down, and somebody moved it. I knew all my lines, but I was frantic. I was in the habit of checking my script constantly backstage. We had a rotating set, and I'd written in my script which way to rotate it and when. I had been dictating the set rotations. Now I couldn't even help; I might mess up!)

Say, you found out about a position being eliminated that would affect you,
    Depends. If I deemed it a useless position, even if it were mine, I wouldn't mind. Otherwise, I'd write an essay.

What about just hearing about a big change that doesn't affect you directly?
    I'd be annoyed and would voice my opinion rather openly, but nothing more.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unless they're firing me or requesting me to work longer hours at the same pay, I am not bothered by change.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    ILE 8w9
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    I dislike when things are changing around me that I have no control over, but I'm fine with initiating change myself. I just really hate when you don't have control/influence over the things affecting you.
    Also, I agree with this statement. I would much rather have control over the situation than be controlled by it.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
    --Theodore Roosevelt

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    -- Mark Twain

"Man who stand on hill with mouth open will wait long time for roast duck to drop in."
    -- Confucius