Thread: Using famous people in socionics

Creepy-Cyclops

Default Using famous people in socionics

I think there is little point in using famous people as examples of psychological types in most cases. These people are famous because they aren't like most people in the first place. Whether they are great actors, musicians, writers, revolutionaries, politicians etc., they reached that stage because they are special and so different from the ordinary person that using them as typical examples for types behaviours in type descriptions or socionic discussions, comparisons, examples of types and quadra behaviour etc. becomes almost redundant as it is not really a true reflection of your ordinary man and woman and your typical 16types that you spend all or most of your life interacting with.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't necessarily think celebrities are THAT different from everyone. The only thing special about them is they got noticed doing something and made it work for them... and in some cases worked harder than everyone else to hone their skills on whatever they do... whether that's playing basketball or the saxophone.
    They still go to starbucks, they still have children, they still go to the stores, and hang out on the beach. They probably went to school just like everyone else...etc. An example, If Rick's meetup's started happening on a large scale and for some reason he started speaking in front of crowds of thousands of people all across the world, this might in fact make him a type of celebrity... now, would you say that he's THAT different than you or anyone else here?

I think the point of using celebrities as examples of different types is mainly due to the fact that EVERYONE does know them, and if they don't... there's tons of info they can find to "get to know them." It's just easier to make a benchmark of people that lots of people know that to take a person's word on what so-and-so person is like and everyone just having to agree based on one person's view of them. Now, will celebs be perfect examples of each type, of course not... just like none of us are.
    Last edited by cracka; 12-26-2008 at 07:18 PM.

Landlord of the Dog and Duck Subteigh's Avatar
    TIM
    EII-Ne Sp/So
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

The good thing about using famous people is that a larger sample of people will know who these people are, obviously. They can be used as mnemonics to allow a general impression of each type to be made. If they are exaggerated overblown examples of their type, then this could perhaps be a good thing. Unless you have someone like Paris Hilton for example. Each 'benchmark' should be well considered, of course.

cunnilingus epilepsy inducer
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    I think there is little point in using famous people as examples of psychological types in most cases. These people are famous because they aren't like most people in the first place. Whether they are great actors, musicians, writers, revolutionaries, politicians etc., they reached that stage because they are special and so different from the ordinary person that using them as typical examples for types behaviours in type descriptions or socionic discussions, comparisons, examples of types and quadra behaviour etc. becomes almost redundant as it is not really a true reflection of your ordinary man and woman and your typical 16types that you spend all or most of your life interacting with.
    This is Ricks arguement against the age old claim:

http://socionics.us/practice/famous.shtml

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From the viewpoint if celebrities are usefull for typing, there are pro's and con's.

In the end the best thing to get to know the types is to know the types of your friends etc. You know those people better then you know celebrities.

But celebrities might be a nice begin to start with or good addition/variety to expand your database.

Personally I make very little use of celebrities.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Celebrities usually have some outstanding characteristic, but I don't think that, by any measure, it's necessarily related to type. I think using celebrities is actually a good way of setting benchmarks for people to get the general idea of what different people of the same type can be like.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...