Thread: Attraction in Supervision relations and getting along reasonably well

Hybrid View

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Attraction in Supervision relations and getting along reasonably well

If your polr is your "supervisors" dominant function, why do you two get on reasonably well? There is hardly any pain for you.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know if it's a coincidence or whatever, but none of the ISTps I kno/ew ever hit my PoLR that I can remember. The types most likely to do that, in my personal experience, are ISFps, ISTjs, ESFps and ESTps.

I'm not sure how I came across to the INFp I knew before I discovered socionics.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    I don't know if it's a coincidence or whatever, but none of the ISTps I kno/ew ever hit my PoLR that I can remember. The types most likely to do that, in my personal experience, are ISFps, ISTjs, ESFps and ESTps.

Same here. The ISTps I know don't really give a damn about how other people are dressed and stuff like that.

ESFps are very bitchy about that, instead.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Supervision v dual?

Socionic advocates a dial relationship as being ideal. But looking at my friends and family, I see it no where. Everyone I know is in supervision relationships. it seems that indeed there is one more powerful person in the relationship, perhaps parent and child. But I'm finding that the supervisor seems to love this relationship too, they need it quite a bit too. If I swapped people around and put them into dual relations, I find it unlikely that they would work, too different; whereas the supervisor offers a common ground. Thoughts?
    ENTp... love it

3w2

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think your definitions of supervision and duality are way off, or your typings of those people aren't right.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EllaC View Post
    Socionic advocates a dial relationship as being ideal. But looking at my friends and family, I see it no where. Everyone I know is in supervision relationships. it seems that indeed there is one more powerful person in the relationship, perhaps parent and child. But I'm finding that the supervisor seems to love this relationship too, they need it quite a bit too. If I swapped people around and put them into dual relations, I find it unlikely that they would work, too different; whereas the supervisor offers a common ground. Thoughts?
    *sigh* supervision can work for awhile. And it can be okay between parent and child (worker and boss) But when you try to get close such as in a marriage, over time the leading function of the supervisor grates on the supervisee (hits the polr), causing them to eventually retaliate, which is then painful for the supervisor. But this can take years to manifest. Of course you can love each other! It just takes a lot of energy to deal with one another the further along the relationship goes. You start to realize that you can't count on the other person, (even though they may be objectively "trustworthy") because they don't share your psychological values and that you see life in very different ways. Sometimes too different to make staying together worth your while.

I've been married to my supervisee for 16 years and this is how it's played out for us. I also know other supervisory marriages and they go the same. Many of the couples stay together anyway but it's very draining and disappointing, depending on what your view of marriage is. What ends up happening is that the supervisor gets tired of the retaliation of the supervisee and ends up finding happiness in friendships and other interests outside the marriage. Both partners begin to feel the need to escape even while still trying to stay together. That's no way to live!

Supervisory relationships can be good at first. One's leading function is the same as the other's creative, which can be enjoyable. It's only over time that things go south.

Finding it "unlikely that a dual relationship would work" is naive, especially if you've never experienced a dual relationship. That's all I'll say on that topic.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry, wasn't amazingly clear on my above post (wrote it on my phone).

I'm interested in your account, Redbaron, and pray that this will not be the case for those that I know.

Perhaps I didn't quite make it clear: dual relationships seem harder to get into I have found? Supervisor-Supervisee relations, well I've found there is something you can relate to, something, that I've found, for example, 'ahhh perhaps now I am understood'. A dual relationship (of any kind), has seemed to be wonderful, tho lacking that 'ahh I get you...', but I don't think that the S-S relationship is better - perhaps, to begin with, and throughout easier? Hmm, I don't know?
    ENTp... love it

3w2

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dual relationships seem harder to get into I have found?
    yes.

but they are way better then supervision.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps I didn't quite make it clear: dual relationships seem harder to get into I have found?
    yes, they're way more difficult to get into initially. I agree with that for sure. It's easy to overlook your dual and even when you don't, you might not see his/her value at first since you appear so different.

Supervisor-Supervisee relations, well I've found there is something you can relate to, something, that I've found, for example, 'ahhh perhaps now I am understood'. A dual relationship (of any kind), has seemed to be wonderful, tho lacking that 'ahh I get you...', but I don't think that the S-S relationship is better - perhaps, to begin with, and throughout easier? Hmm, I don't know?
    I think initially this is the case, yeah. but over time, other things happen in the supervisory relationship and it's not healthy.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    over time the leading function of the supervisor grates on the supervisee (hits the polr), causing them to eventually retaliate, which is then painful for the supervisor
    Or the supervisor just gets tired of the supervisee.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

"Information without energy is useless" Nowisthetime's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been married to my supervisee for 16 years and this is how it's played out for us..
    Are you still married? How are things going? I was together with a LSE girl for 1 year when I was younger. Never been attracted to anyone as much as to her. There is something devilish about supervision, they get under your skin and alter you, that's my experience with LSE. It happened today when I was talking to an LSE. I always try to prove something, be like her etc.

A relative of mine (LSI) was married to ILE for decades. She got severe depression, that took a long time to cure. Now they are divorced since many years. She seems happier than ever. Of course there can be other reasons, but I can't help to think that supervision might have been a factor.

Still, I often find LSE women to be very attractive.

EDIT: Descripions of supervision relations, and discovering that my supervisor is LSE, was one of the things that made me realize that Socionics is to be taken seriously. I've seen it so much in real life, and it's amazing that this theory can describe it.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will PM you on that...

TIM
    LII-IEI
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Socionic advocates a dial relationship as being ideal. But looking at my friends and family, I see it no where. Everyone I know is in supervision relationships.
    It makes a big difference if the supervisor is rational or irrational. 0100 (ENTp - INFj for example) is the relation David Keirsey recommends, not 0010 which is also called supervision in socionics.

Are your friends in 0100 or 0010 relations?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDo View Post
    It makes a big difference if the supervisor is rational or irrational. 0100 (ENTp - INFj for example) is the relation David Keirsey recommends, not 0010 which is also called supervision in socionics.

Interesting as yes they're all like ESTJ ISFP, ESTP, ISFJ, INFJ ENTP...

that maybe explains something.

And I agree dual relations are very good...
    ENTp... love it

3w2

TIM
    Ne-LII
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You did NOT just try to cross the Keirsey Temperament Sorter with Socionics. That's akin to using the Law of Universal Gravitation to explain wealth distribution in the Third World; it looks fine from a distance, but it's utterly flimsy methodology. That, and we must address the fact that Keirsey was working with entirely different types and type descriptions when he made his chart of "ideal" relationships. Merely because both typologies thought it would be a good idea to copy MBTI and occasionally use a 4-letter code to express their type, it does NOT mean their matrices of 16 types correlate.

That, and this is the "General Discussion - Model A" forum, not "Alternative Socionics Theories" or "Other personality typologies." Keirsey simply wasn't writing about Model A, and it would be intellectually dishonest to read his works as if he were.

TIM
    LII-IEI
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewZ View Post
    That, and we must address the fact that Keirsey was working with entirely different types and type descriptions when he made his chart of "ideal" relationships. Merely because both typologies thought it would be a good idea to copy MBTI and occasionally use a 4-letter code to express their type, it does NOT mean their matrices of 16 types correlate.
    I disagree. KTS and socionics try to describe exactly the same phenomenon, using exactly the same 4 dichotomies as foundation. If Augusta and Keirsey were asked to type 100 persons they would certainly type some people differently. But even socionists like Sergei Ganin and Rick DeLong often disagree. Do you really think Keirsey would have a significantly lower correlation? I doubt it...

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I disagree. KTS and socionics try to describe exactly the same phenomenon, using exactly the same 4 dichotomies as foundation. If Augusta and Keirsey were asked to type 100 persons they would certainly type some people differently. But even socionists like Sergei Ganin and Rick DeLong often disagree. Do you really think Keirsey would have a significantly lower correlation? I doubt it...
    There are still some that swear upon being INTJ/INTp or INTP/INTj or the like, but I'm confident that if they reexamine the descriptions on something as clear as personalitypage, they will discover what MBTI type they really were. Socionics is not necessarily a phenomenon that was Made Up ; It could easily have been a phenomenon that was Discovered.
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

TIM
    Ne-LII
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, he would have a significantly lower correlation. Ignoring the obvious fact that Keirsey didn't start his work with the four Jungian dichotomies but instead constructed his own and later correlated his types with MBTI using a DIFFERENT set of dichotomies, his typings do, in fact, differ greatly with mainstream Socionics. To illustrate this point, I shall quote Keirsey's website on his list of famous "Masterminds (INTJ)," which allegedly correlates with LII:
    Alan Greenspan, Ben Bernanke, Dwight D. Eisenhower, General Ulysses S. Grant, Frideriche Nietzsche, Niels Bohr, Peter the Great, Stephen Hawking, John Maynard Keynes, Lise Meitner, Ayn Rand and Sir Isaac Newton are examples of Rational Masterminds.
    (source: http://keirsey.com/handler.aspx?s=ke...5&c=mastermind)

If that's not enough, let's try the "Composer (ISFP)," supposedly correlating with SEI:
    Bob Dylan, Jackie Kennedy Onassis, Cher, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Mel Brooks, Steven Spielberg, and Neil Simon are examples of a Composer Artisans.
    (source: http://keirsey.com/handler.aspx?s=ke...b=4&c=Composer)

"Inspector (ISTJ)," supposedly LSI:
    Queen Elizabeth II, Harry S. Truman, Warren Buffet, Queen Victoria, James K. Polk, and J.D. Rockefeller are examples of Inspector Guardians.
    (source: http://keirsey.com/handler.aspx?s=ke...=2&c=inspector)

Need I go on?

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah supervisors seem to get together. IMO when people reach adulthood they're emotionally dead and incapable of forming meaningful relationships, usually. So they end up with a superficial relationship like supervisor.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crazedrat360 View Post
    yeah supervisors seem to get together. IMO when people reach adulthood they're emotionally dead and incapable of forming meaningful relationships, usually. So they end up with a superficial relationship like supervisor.
    that's the perfect descriptor for a supervisory relation.

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

That's also true for benefit relations.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    That's also true for benefit relations.
    Or mirror.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

You are right and this is why I have a lot of Supervisory relations with SEE in my life and Benefit, activity, and ESE/Illusionary. Duals just have to learn to accept each other, listen to each other, do as they are told to do intheir area of strength and expertise, and have lots of physical fun.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Creepy-male

Sigh.... Look into how duality works and try to find examples of this mechanism in action, then note how the outward characteristics of the relationship are derived from this, and you'll understand the nature of duality.

It's kind of like this effortless thing where your both inspiring each other in a way.

It's not always about romance, its about psychological compatibility. The source of strength in the bond of dual relationships isn't likeness.... both people's temparment and club are different, very different... it's not a relationship in which you feel the same, it's one in which the others differences are respected because they strangely work through you to inspire you being you and that in turn does the same back to them... so its psychologically symbiotic.

Imho, that doesn't make duality better than any other relationship... but it does have this effortless symbiotic nature. Two different pieces fit seamlessly together without any effort.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's weird. I see countless dual couples among my friends, actually I basically don't know anyone that doesn't at least have an activity boyfriend / girlfriend (I know personally 7 dual couples). Anyway, in supervision pairs, excepting every functional analysis, J / P (or rationality / irrationality, as you wish) is the biggest source of conflict, in my experience. I would say it's sufficiently good for friendship, though, especially if there's a semi-dual which mediates between supervisor and supervisee (I'm thinking about my own type, where INFj is the activity partner of my supervisor, yet also my semi-dual, so highly compatible with both).
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default attraction between supervisors

seems like people are often attracted in supervision, especially supervisees are attracted to their supervisors. is this the case for others here, too, or is it just random observations on my part?

and myabe if its true then acting like ones own benefactor, dual's supervisor, is a good way to attract a dual :wink:

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seems to be a pattern.

Supervision and benefit rings are characterized by mostly one-directional information flow. Your supervisor's ego is evaluatory information for you, one you care about. Supervisee's ego, on the other hand, is situational to supervisor, they don't feel strongly about this type of information. This gives the supervisor an obvious advantage, as they're less affected by the supervisee. Kind of asymmetrical priority-option situation.

Any side-effect like attraction is entirely dependent on the participants though - an arrogant or impatient supervisor might set supervisee against themselves, or at least put them off. It's by no means impossible for supervisee to actively criticize or fight their supervisor; they still react strongly to them, positively or negatively, but this tends to have little effect on said supervisor.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aiss View Post
    It seems to be a pattern.

Supervision and benefit rings are characterized by mostly one-directional information flow. Your supervisor's ego is evaluatory information for you, one you care about. Supervisee's ego, on the other hand, is situational to supervisor, they don't feel strongly about this type of information. This gives the supervisor an obvious advantage, as they're less affected by the supervisee. Kind of asymmetrical priority-option situation.

Any side-effect like attraction is entirely dependent on the participants though - an arrogant or impatient supervisor might set supervisee against themselves, or at least put them off. It's by no means impossible for supervisee to actively criticize or fight their supervisor; they still react strongly to them, positively or negatively, but this tends to have little effect on said supervisor.
    supervisee uses their creative function to attack the supervisor's role function. these can be quite unpleasant and retaliatory for the supervisor.

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Your supervisor's ego is evaluatory information for you, one you care about. Supervisee's ego, on the other hand, is situational to supervisor, they don't feel strongly about this type of information.
    I think you have this backwards. The supervisee doesn't care what the supervisor is saying, it's just new/foreign information period. The rhythmic flow between conversations is off. But yes you are right when you say:

This gives the supervisor an obvious advantage, as they're less affected by the supervisee.
    Yes, exactly. But I think the reason why is the other way around. The supervisor has the upper hand because they care where the supervisee doesn't. But I think we're overcomplicating it some. It's mostly a "I"m better than you" feel because the supervisor has the supervisee's main weakness, as their strength -- as well as the supervisee's main strength, as their own strength! And the weaknesses the supervisor has, are functions you tend to really not care about, making backfiring against them all the more difficult. You don't often hear an infp making 'Si-ish' criticisms to people, for example.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SEE's fascinate me to say the least, I feel rather at aw when I see what they're capable of like they're a pretty, sparkly, thing that both draws me in and confuses me simultaneously. But to answer your question, I do find some SEE men rather enduring from afar.
    My relationships have leaned more on the superficial-amiable side of contact thus far, so I can't say I relate to, and really understand, feeling the burn of inferiority from Supervision on my part

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
    supervisee uses their creative function to attack the supervisor's role function. these can be quite unpleasant and retaliatory for the supervisor.
    I don't remember if I've been made to feel uncomfortable by Ti hits from ILE's, from what I recall I just become defensive or needy of Te in those situations, like asking a lot of questions as to where and whom they got their information from

The only time I really get threatened by ILE's is when they use their role which kind of mimics SLE to me briefly
    EII INFj
    Forum status: retired

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ladyinred View Post
    seems like people are often attracted in supervision, especially supervisees are attracted to their supervisors. is this the case for others here, too, or is it just random observations on my part?
    Definitely seems to be the case. I know SO MANY supervision couples it's ridiculous. It might even be the most common relationship after dual. From what I've heard the Russians think the "better" relationships are more common, but IMO it's really the extro/intro combination that makes a relationship tick. Hence Dual, Supervision, Mirror, and even Conflict are common but Activation, Identity, Benefit, etc. are not.

and myabe if its true then acting like ones own benefactor, dual's supervisor, is a good way to attract a dual :wink:
    ಠ_ಠ

Or just, like, act like yourself.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush View Post
    It might even be the most common relationship after dual.
    From my experience, beneficiary is the second-most common.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.