Thread: question on Si

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default question on Si

I have a question for leading/creative Si types:

my gf asked me yesterday: "can you experience a flavor by just thinking about it?" (i.e. without eating or drinking).

I admitted I can't, and she claims she can (note that she doesn't know about Socionics).

Do leading/creative Si types have this possibility?
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm, I can sometimes, but I doubt I'm Si. (And obviously, it isn't nearly as strong as when I'm actually eating or drinking... It's more of a memory.) I think it's easier to do with things I've had often.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    Holy mud-wrestling bipolar donkeys, Batman!

Retired from posting and drawing Social Security. E-mail or PM to contact.

I pity your souls

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can think of how good the food I was having was, and maybe get into the mindset of actually eating slightly, but I definitely cannot experience food in that way.
    D-SEI 9w1

This is me and my dual being scientific together

Creepy-Diana

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diana View Post
    I just tried this and imagined eating chocolate cake, tuna, orange juice, grape soda, and my answer is yeah, but the taste doesn't remain after you stop thinking about it, and it's more the texture and temperature than the taste anyway, because I hardly taste my food when I'm eating for real. I kind of just wolf it down.

Perhaps I just have a good imagination for that kind of thing.
    haha. i wolf my food down too. ive called it that since i was a kid. but, if it doesnt taste good (which most foods dont to me), i wont eat it.

the only thing i can think of about the original topic is when someone else mentions a certain food, a strong tasting food, like citrus or salsa, my mouth waters. otherwise, i dont care about food very much.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Operant conditioning
    Elro salsa
    Elro citrus
    Elro salsa citrus
    Elro citrus salsa
    Elro salsa citrus citrus salsa Elro salsa
    salsa Elro
    Elro
    citrus
    Elro salsa
    salsa Elro
    citrus Elro
    Elro citrus salsa Elro
    salsa citrus salsa citrus Elro salsa Elro Elro

I pity your souls

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elro View Post
    Operant conditioning
    Elro salsa
    Elro citrus
    Elro salsa citrus
    Elro citrus salsa
    Elro salsa citrus citrus salsa Elro salsa
    salsa Elro
    Elro
    citrus
    Elro salsa
    salsa Elro
    citrus Elro
    Elro citrus salsa Elro
    salsa citrus salsa citrus Elro salsa Elro Elro
    Elro.......mouth waters.........lol

now that's silly.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Elro

Elro citrus

Elro Elro

Elro

salsa citrus salsa Elro
    Last edited by Elro; 11-30-2008 at 04:20 AM. Reason: formatting

I pity your souls

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sorry Elro, but Elmo on fire is what is already conditioned in there for me.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OMG! that is great! i'm much more a visual person. that dancing is HOT.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dbmmama View Post
    OMG! that is great! i'm much more a visual person. that dancing is HOT.
    You know what else is hot? Salsa. And Elro. And Elro with salsa.

/hyper thread derail

I pity your souls

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know what else is hot? Salsa. And Elro. And Elro with salsa.

/hyper thread derail
    show me a picture of you dancing with salsa smeared all over you.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uh, sorry, no.

I pity your souls

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uh, sorry, no.
    i didnt think so.

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

uh? when you imagine sucking a lemon you produce neutralizers dont you? I think that is the experience of the real deal

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by consentingadult View Post

my gf asked me yesterday: "can you experience a flavor by just thinking about it?" (i.e. without eating or drinking).

I admitted I can't, and she claims she can (note that she doesn't know about Socionics).

not claiming Si, but i can usually visualize things in my head. as weird as it sounds, i feel like i have a "third eye" or something. that is, i can sort of sit back and imagine what a lot of situations might be like. regarding sensations, i can certainly imagine what it feels like to, i don´t know, eat a lemon, chocolate cake, whatever. i can usually identify these things pretty well as well. but i also can´t really "substitute" things like some pèople can. like imagining a chocolate cake in front of me or having some chocolate cake substitute is never, ever, ever, ever as satisfying as actually eating a chocolate cake.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by implied View Post
    not claiming Si, but i can usually visualize things in my head. as weird as it sounds, i feel like i have a "third eye" or something. that is, i can sort of sit back and imagine what a lot of situations might be like. regarding sensations, i can certainly imagine what it feels like to, i don´t know, eat a lemon, chocolate cake, whatever. i can usually identify these things pretty well as well. but i also can´t really "substitute" things like some pèople can. like imagining a chocolate cake in front of me or having some chocolate cake substitute is never, ever, ever, ever as satisfying as actually eating a chocolate cake.
    my third eye experiences can be *better* than the "actual" thing. it has been a bit frustrating my whole life when the "actual" doesnt measure up.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do. It's one of the things I do very naturally, probably because I remember tastes/smells/images/sounds very vividly. I often imagine tastes before I mix certain foods together or when I decide what I want to drink after/during a meal. I also experiment with food a lot, always trying out different combinations etc...
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I imagine tastes correctly, but it's nothing like experiencing them.
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I asked my gf last night: "So if you can experience the flavors, why bother eating at all?" She said that the real thing is more intense, and also leaves an aftertaste (is that an English word?).

My sensations don't go beyond strong cravings, alas (ETA: meaning: a void that needs to be filled up). But when I do eat, I do enjoy it intensely, no wolfing away for me. In fact, it is since this gf that I notice I 'silently' enjoy food and drink, because I constantly go like "hmmmm" and "yummmmm" all the time, which amuses her to no end.
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

Creepy-Diana

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diana View Post
    yes, it's a word. It's what I meant when I said you stop tasting it when you stop thinking about it. There's no residual flavor left behind. But the reason I'd give for eating is that imagination doesn't fill your stomach.
    Not an unimportant aspect of eating indeed!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah, I remember what foods taste like as well as I remember what they look like. How can you not conjure up what various foods would taste like? How could you cook otherwise if you couldn't know what different seasonings, etc. would taste like together?

This is making me wonder what other things I assume everyone does...I know I always assumed everyone saw silly images floating in their mind before falling asleep, but I've recently heard that most people don't. Do you guys see images (like dreams while you're awake) before falling asleep?
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can, but there are people better at it. For example, I can taste something I have already tasted, but I cannot predict how a mixture will taste. My ISTp friend can do it, and he's pretty good at creating new mixes. I have an ENTj friend that sometimes tries to create new mixes, and they consistently taste horribly, lol (I'm sure mine would taste just as bad).
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jewels View Post
    This is making me wonder what other things I assume everyone does...I know I always assumed everyone saw silly images floating in their mind before falling asleep, but I've recently heard that most people don't. Do you guys see images (like dreams while you're awake) before falling asleep?
    ah, no. but once when I was on a morphine drip, I did. it was creepy and I thought I was losing my mind. most unpleasant.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do. Maybe that's because I have trouble completely clearing my mind of what I've been thinking of. Recently when I've remembered my dreams, I realized that I'm processing old emotions and the people involved will pop up in various scenes. I remember a lot of my dreams in general, too. There have been times that I've been dreaming, and I actually know that I'm dreaming and tell myself to wake up.
    IEE

Creepy-Diana

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tiny_dancer View Post
    I do. Maybe that's because I have trouble completely clearing my mind of what I've been thinking of. Recently when I've remembered my dreams, I realized that I'm processing old emotions and the people involved will pop up in various scenes. I remember a lot of my dreams in general, too. There have been times that I've been dreaming, and I actually know that I'm dreaming and tell myself to wake up.
    me too. I once died in a freefalling elevator in my dream. But I knew it was a dream and that I died so I just woke up then.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jewels View Post
    yeah, I remember what foods taste like as well as I remember what they look like. How can you not conjure up what various foods would taste like? How could you cook otherwise if you couldn't know what different seasonings, etc. would taste like together?

my sis can taste foods like you describe and was also surprised when i told her i couldnt. everyone raves over her food, which she never uses recipes to make. not only do i not taste foods in my mind, but i dont like most foods anyway, so, i guess it doesnt matter.

i do see images very clearly though. very. im very visual, both in the physical and in my mind. my awake and sleeping dreams have always been important things in my life. mostly giving me inspiration and visions for what i want to manifest in physical reality. and usually the answer on how to do it comes along with it, so, i do.

hubby is a big movie buff and he likened it to alfred hitchcock who could visualize a whole movie in his head and then would go about making it, but hating the making it part because it never "measured up" to his vision. it's like he already made it, why do it all over again? that's similar to how it is for me. someone else similar is stephen king. he's hubby's fav author on many levels. stephen "channels" the story "through" him, he allows the story to write itself, he says in a book he wrote on writing. that is how i am when creating, allowing "whatever" to flow through me. that is me at my "best."

back to the subject...tastebuds? dont really care much....

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I can imagine the texture, but not the flavor, unless I can smell it.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can bring the memory of sensations back, but they don't have the same impact as reality. I can remember taste, texture, temperature, sound, smell, etc. but luckily enough when I think about old injuries I never re-experience the pain. Not sure if that's Si or just styles of memory-imprinting.

I have a hard time concocting combinations in my mind. Like I'll know how the separate things taste but not how they'll complement each other in an untried combination. But I've also read that the taste buds can only discern a limited number of tastes in any one bite, and I don't seem to have that limitation - I can taste sour at the same time as sweet at the same time as salty, etc., and several of my friends can, too. So, for example, if I eat a hot pepper, my mouth doesn't stop burning by sprinkling sugar on my tongue. Does that work for other people, though?

I've also read about how certain sensations tend to cancel out other sensations, and this doesn't seem to work for me either. If I'm cold and something starts itching, I'm cold AND I itch. If I'm hungry on top of it, it just keeps getting harder to ignore any of the states. With growing maturity, I can impose a patient demeanor over my discomfort, but it doesn't blunt it internally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Bukowski
    We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.
    SLI

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    My ISTp friend can do it, and he's pretty good at creating new mixes.
    Ok, this is consistent with how I am. Not that I haven't done any bad mixtures... I 've done (or tried doing) all sorts of different, unconventional, strange, from odd to "wtf" mixes and something passes and something doesn't. But I 've never stopped experimenting and trying out new ways of dong things (not just with food of course), which is one of the things that keep my unsettled spirit alive.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tiny_dancer View Post
    I don't know if the images I see are silly, I would rather say 'random'.anyway, I like it. Especially the stuff that pops up in the 'twilight zone'. I even tried to rain myself to stay in the twilight zone, but never succeeded.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dbmmama View Post
    which she never uses recipes to make
    My gf calls it 'cooking from the wrist'

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My gf calls it 'cooking from the wrist'
    I wish I could cook from the wrist. hmph.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Creepy-Cyclops

I'm hungry

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    I'm hungry
    is that a call to action, or just letting us know?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remembered a great example of unsuccessful mental mixing: the veggie BLT with guacamole. I have learned to like Morningstar Farm's veggie bacon, and making BLTs is a great comfort food. So even though it's not the real thing, I love to make VBLTs. Well, I like guacamole, too, so I thought it'd be a great combination.

Unfortunately, I must report that the GBLT is kinda nasty. And I don't think using real bacon would save it. Chef Fail!
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Bukowski
    We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.
    SLI

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by iAnnAu View Post
    I remembered a great example of unsuccessful mental mixing: the veggie BLT with guacamole. I have learned to like Morningstar Farm's veggie bacon, and making BLTs is a great comfort food. So even though it's not the real thing, I love to make VBLTs. Well, I like guacamole, too, so I thought it'd be a great combination.

Unfortunately, I must report that the GBLT is kinda nasty. And I don't think using real bacon would save it. Chef Fail!
    One should aways make sure you have bread in the freezer and a jar of peanut butter on the shelf, just in case.

Anyone ever seen Kitchen Chemistry with Heston Blumenthal?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can reproduce lots of sensations this way, but I prefer not to, because it makes me want to taste it/feel it/hear it/etc again.
    "Those who make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities..."

- Voltaire

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast