Thread: Love in the time of cholera

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Love in the time of cholera

i just finished this book and think of the types this way:

Florentino Ariza - INFp, perhaps a different Ni type

Fermina Daza - a good example of an Se type, perhaps istj or isfj.

Dr. Juvenal Urbino - a Te type i believe. entj or estj.

Spoilers, possibly:

I think fermina could be beta given that at the end of book even though she has created a highly successful life she wonders if there was any meaning, or love in it. Florentino is the only character who can provide meaning in her life at this time, and in a very insightful Ni way. The doctor is also an interesting character due to his antics and well-intentions. I like him because he defies his class in his character and attitude towards others, and think the most tell description of him is courtesy of Florentino or somebody i can't remember when they say he talks and goes on because if he didn't he wouldn't have anything to think about. This doesn't strike me as Ne, but could be, my reasoning for Te rather than Ne is that all of his business is practical. he loves to make things happen, definitely a characteristic of an EJ type(although we must realize that his fortune and position in society gives him the ability to create these situations and doesn't imply that all EJs are capable of such feats, just ones blessed with the means). In fact, he could even be an ESFj.
    asd

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can tenuously endorse your types for florentino and fermina, but from the movie. I watched about 45 minutes of it before I was bored out my freakin mind. I don't recall any other characters other than the above two I didn't particularly care for at all.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    I can tenuously endorse your types for florentino and fermina, but from the movie. I watched about 45 minutes of it before I was bored out my freakin mind. I don't recall any other characters other than the above two I didn't particularly care for at all.
    ah, yes, the film- i haven't watched it but it has generally recieved negative press. as for the tedium- it is not uncommon of the novel either. The entire novel is told without dialouge, and relies on description of dialouge. It is incredibly slow but very rewarding and insightful. I think Marquez is definitely an Ni type- intp or even infp. he writes beautifully, but it has a spirit of something past in it.
    asd

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've watched the movie and from what I remember both the man (the doctor played by Edward Norton) and the woman (Naomi Watts) were introverted. I'd say the former was probably INTj and the latter INTp
    INFp-Ni

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by misutii View Post
    I've watched the movie and from what I remember both the man (the doctor played by Edward Norton) and the woman (Naomi Watts) were introverted. I'd say the former was probably INTj and the latter INTp
    You're thinking the Painted Veil.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    You're thinking the Painted Veil.
    lol that's what it was! now that I think about it there wasn't even any cholera in the movie, rather good ol Ebola, lol, thanks. "The Painted Veil" and "Love at the Time of Cholera" are both novels written by the same author right? Marquez I think it was.
    INFp-Ni

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by misutii View Post
    lol that's what it was! now that I think about it there wasn't even any cholera in the movie, rather good ol Ebola, lol, thanks. "The Painted Veil" and "Love at the Time of Cholera" are both novels written by the same author right? Marquez I think it was.
    I'm unfamiliar with any Gael Garcia Marquez relation to the painted veil. I think it's sort of its own thing. Could be wrong though.