View Poll Results: How hours of sleep do you average, and is it enough?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 to 4, not enough

2 4.08%
  • 5 to 7, not enough

12 24.49%
  • 5 to 7, enough

9 18.37%
  • 8 to 10, enough

16 32.65%
  • 8 to 10, too much

4 8.16%
  • other

6 12.24%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much sleep do you get?

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How much sleep do you get?

And is it enough?
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

About 9 to 11 hours a day. If it wasn't enough, I'd just do more sleeping.

Creepy-bg

0-20 hours per day

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bionicgoat View Post
    0-20 hours per day
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7396356.stm

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh dear
    SEE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subterranean View Post
    So they named them the "sloth" based on the fact that they're not as active in captivity? What were they expecting?
    SEE

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    So they named them the "sloth" based on the fact that they're not as active in captivity? What were they expecting?
    I think it was named based on its slow speed rather than simply on how long it slept for.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right now I average about 4-5 and it's obviously not enough but I could sleep 10 hrs and it'd never be enough. I wake up many, many times throughout the night.

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I chose 'other' because there are weeks when I will sleep 8 hours a night, eat right and exercise; and others where I will stay up for two days, eat little, exercise more, and end up sleeping 5-7 hours later on. It all depends on the impulse
    4w3-5w6-8w7

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think i need 8-10 hours a night to feel good.
    that said, if i'm depressed and/or not getting enough sunlight (so, like, sleeping during the day) i could sleep for 15 hours and still be incredibly tired.
    EII; E6(w5)

i am flakey

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not enough.
    ILE
    7w8 so/sp

Very busy with work. Only kind of around.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i remember one time i have gone 3 days without sleep, and that equals out to 72 hours of no sleep. then it was 5pm when i finally went to bed after the three day, and when i woke up my alarm clock said 8pm. so I have gone hibernated for 27 hours stright.
    Last edited by 07490; 11-21-2008 at 11:35 PM. Reason: x
    (D)IEE~FI-(C)SLE~Ni E-5w4(Sp/Sx)/7w8(So/Sp)/9w1(sp/sx)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    1)
    A girl who I want to date, asks me: well first tell me how tall you are?
    My reply: well I will answer that, if you first tell me how much you weigh!

2)
    A girl I was dating said she was oh so great at sex etc, but she didn't do blowjobs.
    My reply: Oh I'm really romantic etc, I just will never take you out to dinner.

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mpiazza000 View Post
    i remember one time i have gone 3 days without sleep, and that equals out to 60 hours of no sleep. then it was 5pm when i finally went to bed after the three day, and when i woke up my alarm clock said 8pm. so I have gone hibernated for 27 hours stright.
    Wouldn't it be 72 hours?
    4w3-5w6-8w7

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I sleep ridiculous, varying amounts. For instance I can stay up for about two days straight, easily, without any sort of chemical assistance, but I can also easily sleep for 15 hours straight, with a normal day of sleep preceding that day. My sleeping patterns are atrocious and really fuck with my sense of balance, but it's hard for me to get them back into place. Like my friend said in response to the statement that I'm addicted to sleeping: "you're only addicted to sleeping when you're addicted to awake."
    "To become is just like falling asleep. You never know exactly when it happens, the transition, the magic, and you think, if you could only recall that exact moment of crossing the line then you would understand everything; you would see it all"

"Angels dancing on the head of a pin dissolve into nothingness at the bedside of a dying child."

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I usually get (and need) 8 hours per night. and it's enough. And I never wake in the night. I don't hear the kids or my husband (he's a light sleeper and sometimes gets up if he's having a hard time sleeping but I never hear him). Occasionally I'll stay up late with a friend and end up with 5 or 6 hours that night and I can survive as long as I go back to my regular schedule the next night. Two nights or more in a row of that though, and I'm toast.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

7-8 hours and it's perfect.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    7-8 hours and it's perfect.
    I wish I could maintain healthy discipline the way you do. But that would probably detract from the impulses Oh well.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i sleep for 3-4 hours at a time at random points when i feel tired and bored, usually twice a day, then sometimes ill sleep for 12 hours from something like 7 am to 7 pm and wake up to my grandmother telling me im going to die early. if im busy doing something, though, usually i deprive myself of sleep

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crazedrat View Post
    i sleep for 3-4 hours at a time at random points when i feel tired and bored, usually twice a day, then sometimes ill sleep for 12 hours from something like 7 am to 7 pm and wake up to my grandmother telling me im going to die early. if im busy doing something, though, usually i deprive myself of sleep
    lmao...classic
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by strrrng View Post
    I wish I could maintain healthy discipline the way you do. But that would probably detract from the impulses Oh well.
    Yeah I don't think it's very good if you don't do it naturally. I am naturally a "morning person" so it's easier for me.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look, here I am, not getting enough sleep, EVEN THOUGH I TOOK SLEEPING DRUGS!
    ILE
    7w8 so/sp

Very busy with work. Only kind of around.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those who have a hard time getting to sleep should meditate... learning to clear your mind and progressively relax your body goes a LONG way toward curing insomnia.

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    Right now I average about 4-5 and it's obviously not enough but I could sleep 10 hrs and it'd never be enough. I wake up many, many times throughout the night.
    Yeah, I used to be like that, too.
    SEE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I average about 4-6. Ordinarily it probably wouldn't be enough, but there seem to be mitigating circumstances. Is it possible to feel so constantly tired that it becomes the baseline for your experience?

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Errant View Post
    I average about 4-6. Ordinarily it probably wouldn't be enough, but there seem to be mitigating circumstances. Is it possible to feel so constantly tired that it becomes the baseline for your experience?
    Yes.
    SEE

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went to bed at 10:30 last night and woke up at 9:10 this morning. I feel awesome. I'm signing up for the NBA draft.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol

I think everyone needs to get tons of sleep one night every once in a while.
    SEE

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    I went to bed at 10:30 last night and woke up at 9:10 this morning. I feel awesome. I'm signing up for the NBA draft.
    Me too and it did feel great. I think that was the first time I slept the entire night thru. I could get used to that.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Infants- 16 hours per day

Toddlers - 12-13 hours per day

School aged - 10 - 11 hours per day

Adolescence - 9.5 hours per day

Adults 7-8 Hours per day

I went to sleep right on 12:00 last night and woke up once at 5:00 and once about 7:20. I seem to be getting on average about 7 hours and it seems to be enough. I have an exam today so thats prob why i woke up.

You should be sleeping less the older you get really and more awakenings are normal.
    ENFp (Unsure of Subtype)

"And the day came when the risk it took to remain closed in a bud became more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anaïs Nin

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by meatburger View Post
    Infants- 16 hours per day

Toddlers - 12-13 hours per day

School aged - 10 - 11 hours per day

Adolescence - 9.5 hours per day

Adults 7-8 Hours per day

I went to sleep right on 12:00 last night and woke up once at 5:00 and once about 7:20. I seem to be getting on average about 7 hours and it seems to be enough. I have an exam today so thats prob why i woke up.

You should be sleeping less the older you get really and more awakenings are normal.
    all of this does not take individual differences into account. yes, they are things to START with but if i told my oldest child when he was an infant to sleep 16 hrs a day, id have one neurotic boy on my hands right now. he needed more sleep than that and now at 12 he sleeps 12hrs, mostly because he is growing literally inches within a couple of months time.

ive never scheduled my children's sleeping or feeding. i listen to their inner rhythms and facilitate what they are telling me...

btw, i learned this from research and then implemented it, but it does match what is close to my heart and inner knowing.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dbmmama View Post
    all of this does not take individual differences into account. yes, they are things to START with but if i told my oldest child when he was an infant to sleep 16 hrs a day, id have one neurotic boy on my hands right now. he needed more sleep than that and now at 12 he sleeps 12hrs, mostly because he is growing literally inches within a couple of months time.

ive never scheduled my children's sleeping or feeding. i listen to their inner rhythms and facilitate what they are telling me...

btw, i learned this from research and then implemented it, but it does match what is close to my heart and inner knowing.
    I dont deny this at all. The 16 hours of sleep for infants was over the whole day, in 4 or 5 sleep periods. I was just writing it out because my exam in a few hours has a few sleep questions.
    ENFp (Unsure of Subtype)

"And the day came when the risk it took to remain closed in a bud became more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anaïs Nin

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by meatburger View Post
    I dont deny this at all. The 16 hours of sleep for infants was over the whole day, in 4 or 5 sleep periods. I was just writing it out because my exam in a few hours has a few sleep questions.
    haha. i was hoping i didnt offend... yes, ive taken those classes and had to memorize those things too. it's nice to take them into my subconscious so i can naturally refer to them with my own kids...that's why i studied child development and such so much. and now, use that info as background to my intuitive timing.

i hope you did well on your exam.

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My sleeping patterns are so sporadic that I can really only speculate as to how much sleep I get a night.

I know that when I was in college, I probably got anywhere from 3-5 hours of sleep a night and operated just fine under those conditions. After college, I've been able to get a little bit more, I think. I don't really like staying up as late and as often as I did when I was in college and even immediately after college. So, I find myself going to sleep anywhere between midnight and 1:00am or so fairly frequently. I wake up around 6:30am or so on weekdays, give or take.

There are times when I feel exhausted around 8:00pm to 10:00pm for no reason really. That doesn't happen too often. I suppose on the weekends I get a little more sleep, maybe 6-7 hours or so I guess.

So, eh, probably not enough still in the long run. I really do think there were some aspects during my college years that really burned me out and had rather long-term affects on me (due to frequent spans of time with lack of sleep).
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tereg View Post
    My sleeping patterns are so sporadic that I can really only speculate as to how much sleep I get a night.

I know that when I was in college, I probably got anywhere from 3-5 hours of sleep a night and operated just fine under those conditions. After college, I've been able to get a little bit more, I think. I don't really like staying up as late and as often as I did when I was in college and even immediately after college. So, I find myself going to sleep anywhere between midnight and 1:00am or so fairly frequently. I wake up around 6:30am or so on weekdays, give or take.

There are times when I feel exhausted around 8:00pm to 10:00pm for no reason really. That doesn't happen too often. I suppose on the weekends I get a little more sleep, maybe 6-7 hours or so I guess.

So, eh, probably not enough still in the long run. I really do think there were some aspects during my college years that really burned me out and had rather long-term affects on me (due to frequent spans of time with lack of sleep).
    I have very strange sleeping times too, I am nocturnal, I sleep in the day and I am awake in the night...

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder how many times a night the average person wakes up? I usually wake up at least 3 times I think. And I talk (and occasionally walk, yell, and laugh) in my sleep. Lol, it's a wonder I ever feel rested when I wake up.
    SEE

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster_Ferret View Post
    I have very strange sleeping times too, I am nocturnal, I sleep in the day and I am awake in the night...
    I did the sleep during the day awake at night thing for maybe a half of a year or so. It was immediately after I finished college. That sort of threw me off a bit as well.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can see unusual time schedules, but I have no idea how people function on 3-5 hours of sleep consistently... I have trouble if I only get 6-7 for a long period of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    Holy mud-wrestling bipolar donkeys, Batman!

Retired from posting and drawing Social Security. E-mail or PM to contact.

I pity your souls

On work days, I get by on 7 hours, which is somewhat bearable, ideally I prefer to get 9 hours to feel fully refreshed and awake.
    ENFp

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get lots of sleep and I love it. I worry about how things will be when the baby is here. As I recall, sleep was hard to come by last time I had a baby in the house.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elro View Post
    I can see unusual time schedules, but I have no idea how people function on 3-5 hours of sleep consistently... I have trouble if I only get 6-7 for a long period of time.
    Same. Consistently speaking, I need at least 7 hours, preferably 8+. Right now I get different amounts per night depending on the day of the week.
    Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I try to get about 5 hours on work nights and on my days off I may go as long as 7 hours. Very rarely any more than that though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast