Thread: Textbooks

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Textbooks

Is it just me, or are textbooks a Ti > Te medium? My reasons are: stuff is usually presented categorically/causally and with a slant toward a certain opinion, even though both are often not really true and subject to debate/interpretation. I always use my textbooks as frisbees because I think the info in them is BS. Like, is that really true according to present research? I bet every other line that is said definitively is actually a topic of controversy.
    I prefer primary sources and Wikipedia.

For VI purposes:
    EII; E6(w5)

i am flakey

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Is it just me, or are textbooks a Ti > Te medium? My reasons are: stuff is usually presented categorically/causally and with a slant toward a certain opinion, even though both are often not really true and subject to debate/interpretation. I always use my textbooks as frisbees because I think the info in them is BS. Like, is that really true according to present research? I bet every other line that is said definitively is actually a topic of controversy.

For VI purposes:
    i haven't read a textbook in years. i like to read a WIDE variety of resources and then make my own mind up about what makes sense to me and my intuition.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Lol.

I dunno, textbooks aren't that bad (depending on the subject and individual authors). Generally speaking it's probably a bad idea to take anyone's word as set in stone. They're good for quickly gaining the basic understanding, and from there you can look stuff up on your own. I also like finding them for ridiculously cheap prices at the used bookstore. That's one good way to learn new subjects.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    Holy mud-wrestling bipolar donkeys, Batman!

Retired from posting and drawing Social Security. E-mail or PM to contact.

I pity your souls

Landlord of the Dog and Duck Subteigh's Avatar
    TIM
    EII-Ne Sp/So
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I think with some subject areas, such as History, the interpretations of a subject can be very biased and varied from author to author. This is unlikely to be the case with geology.

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol, what about eBooks?
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Board philosopher or bored philosopher? jason_m's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With a Ti approach, I don't care if the information comes from a textbook, Wikipedia, or someone else's mouth. I only care that the source gives the reasons as to why a particular position should be considered true or false, and that those reasons make sense to me. In other words, claims behind which I do not understand the underlying logic are not interesting to me, even if those claims are considered to be facts.

It also doesn't matter to me if the claims are categorical. In my opinion, it would be foolish to expect almost any claim to be unquestionably true, so I can tolerate claims that could be wrong, as long as the reasoning behind them makes decent sense.

Jason
    LII