Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: MacGyver series

  1. #1
    Let's go to fairyland Minde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Amongst the stars
    TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Posts
    4,078
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default MacGyver series

    While I've been working, I've been sneaking in episodes of MacGyver. How many of you haven't watched or at least heard of him? I remember watching it as a kid... Anyway, I thought he might be a good candidate for some forum typing.

    Here are some rather disjointed thoughts of mine on the matter.

    Te or Ti? It perhaps could be argued that he uses scientific knowledge in a Ne + Ti kind of way, fitting together principles in novel ways. But it seems more like exploiting a variety of facts as opposed to going in new theoretical directions, which is something I generally associate with Alpha Ti.

    Ne? Si? He's always seeing possibilities in things. In people as well as in terms of solving problems.

    Fe or Fi? A lot of the time he demonstrates attachment to other characters, in a personal way.

    Anti-violence, low-key, friendly. He seems less about making impressions on people than... well, connecting with them. Very loyal. Once he makes a friend he'll risk his life for them. He also seems to focus a lot on how much individuals mean to him.

    EP? The way he's always all over the place, not settled into or stuck in one spot. He likes new places, new people, new problems. He's very open with himself, too, sharing (as opposed to closed and private).

    "Friendship is something I don't take lightly. It's too hard to come by." Although, I would disagree with his last sentence. He seems to have friends all over the place and to make them easily with his selfless kindness.

    If I had to guess at his type it would be ENFp, perhaps leaning more toward Ne. I'm pretty sure he's Ne-Si over Ni-Se. So, Alpha or Delta. Temperament seems irrational and extraverted - so EP maybe. I'm less sure on the judging function, though.

    He could also be EJ, maybe? Probably not IJ. But, hm... What do you think?



    This is how MacGyver fights:


    Lol, How to Use a Map. Typical.


    Personally, I can have a similar approach to solving problems - i.e. try whatever works using whatever I see in front of me without regard for convention - especially when I'm in a new situation. I can't remember things as well as he does, though, or figure out an end result of a solution. As in, I have a harder time predicting or following cause and effect relationships. And I'm not as free with supplies as he is. I hesitate to take apart things - it's too much like breaking, to me.
    INFj / EII / FiNe
    ()


    "Fairy Tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten." - G.K. Chesterton

    "Have courage and be kind." - Cinderella's mom

  2. #2
    Elro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Not here
    Posts
    2,796
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Hmm, I need to watch that show sometime - I've heard it's one of the best things ever created, essentially.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    Holy mud-wrestling bipolar donkeys, Batman!

    Retired from posting and drawing Social Security. E-mail or PM to contact.


    I pity your souls

  3. #3

    Default

    I'd say ENTj with delta values
    ...the human race will disappear. Other races will appear and disappear in turn. The sky will become icy and void, pierced by the feeble light of half-dead stars. Which will also disappear. Everything will disappear. And what human beings do is just as free of sense as the free motion of elementary particles. Good, evil, morality, feelings? Pure 'Victorian fictions'.

    INTp

  4. #4

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,101
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elro View Post
    Hmm, I need to watch that show sometime - I've heard it's one of the best things ever created, essentially.
    Everything I know about life, I learned from MacGyver. So yes, I'd say it's an awesome show.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cracka View Post
    Everything I know about life, I learned from MacGyver. So yes, I'd say it's an awesome show.
    I had mullet because of McGyver, that's how dedicated I am
    ...the human race will disappear. Other races will appear and disappear in turn. The sky will become icy and void, pierced by the feeble light of half-dead stars. Which will also disappear. Everything will disappear. And what human beings do is just as free of sense as the free motion of elementary particles. Good, evil, morality, feelings? Pure 'Victorian fictions'.

    INTp

  6. #6
    Let's go to fairyland Minde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Amongst the stars
    TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Posts
    4,078
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quotes:

    "Mostly I like to see how the world works. Meet people. Learn how they're different - and the same." - MacGyver, on why he moves around so much (The Gauntlet)

    "I've found from past experiences that the tighter your plan, the more likely you are to run into something unpredictable." - MacGyver (The Heist)

    "I had this contract with Pete Thornton's outfit that says I take only those jobs I wanna take. Now, you'd think I'd say 'no' once in a while." - MacGyver (Countdown)

    "This man's idea of black tie is a dirty shoelace. Definitely not into formality." Bannister, about - MacGyver (The Enemy Within)

    "I'll tell you what's simple. Me! For gettin' into that first conversation with Penny Parker . . . But what else could I do? I mean, a guy just can't be . . . rude." Mac, realizing why one should not talk to strangers (Every Time She Smiles)

    "One of the problems of flying a jet is that you don't have a lot of time to admire the scenery." - MacGyver (To Be a Man)

    "Everybody makes mistakes once in a while. The trick is learning to live with it." - MacGyver (Ugly Duckling)

    "Another day, a whole 'nother set of fresh possibilities . . . I'm a sucker for mornings." - MacGyver (Slow Death)

    "Maybe it's about time I expanded the realm of possibilities around here." - MacGyver (The Escape)

    "Pete, we're friends. If you got troubles, I got troubles." - MacGyver (A Prisoner of Conscience)

    "We're all gonna die. The trick is not to rush it." - MacGyver (The Assassin)

    "I learned something a long time ago: never laugh at what you don't know." - MacGyver (Silent World)

    "A good relationship is alot like a car. If you want it to work smoothly, you gotta put alot of work into it, and have the right tools." - MacGyver (Three for the Road)

    "If you don't have the right equipment for the job, you just have to make it yourself." - MacGyver (Out in the Cold)

    "When I was a kid, my grandfather used to say to me that . . . a fellow's life wasn't worth mentioning if he hadn't shared it with some folks along the way." - MacGyver (Friends)

    "One of my biggest problems is I can never leave a puzzle alone." - MacGyver (Ghost Ship)

    A man once said, "When you make a friend, you take on a responsibility." - MacGyver (Fire and Ice)

    "We've got a pretty good planet here, as planets go. The trouble is, we're lettin' it go down the drain in too many places." - MacGyver (The Spoilers)

    "It's occurred to me that some friendships are like a good game of hockey. The right balance of teamwork and smooth skating generally adds up to a winning combination." MacGyver (Easy Target)

    "You know, this may come as a shock to you, Jack, but most people go out and work for a living, instead of dragging their friends from one disaster to another." MacGyver (Unfinished Business)

    "Never thought I'd owe my life to a traditional English breakfast." - MacGyver (The Legend of the Holy Rose, Part II)

    "You know, MacGyver, that's why you're so hard to beat. Nobody knows what you're going to do next. Including you." - Murdoc (Halloween Knights)

    "What is it with you people? Why are you so afraid of going after the truth?" - MacGyver (Rush to Judgement)

    "I do something nice for you, you do something nice for me - like not kill me." - MacGyver (Humanity)

    "I'm not trying to be mysterious about it, it's just that what I do is tough to explain." - MacGyver (Jerico Games)

    "I think you're like a lot of people. You can’t see the trees because you’re too busy cuttin’ down the forest." - MacGyver (The Wasteland)

    "Only a fool is sure of anything, a wise man keeps on guessing." - MacGyver quoting Harry (The Stringer)

    "My mother used to make fried chicken. I really loved that fried chicken. Now I'm startin' to feel real sympathetic towards them chickens." –- MacGyver (The Golden Triangle)

    "You can tell a lot about someone by the things he keeps on his desk – provided you can get to his desk," –- MacGyver (The Eraser)
    INFj / EII / FiNe
    ()


    "Fairy Tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten." - G.K. Chesterton

    "Have courage and be kind." - Cinderella's mom

  7. #7
    Let's go to fairyland Minde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Amongst the stars
    TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Posts
    4,078
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elro View Post
    Hmm, I need to watch that show sometime - I've heard it's one of the best things ever created, essentially.
    Yes, you should try it. You might enjoy it. It's perhaps a bit unrealistic at times (I think you'd have to have quite a bit of luck on your side to accomplish some of the things he does), but interesting and supposedly based on what you could really do in those kinds of situations.

    Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    I'd say ENTj with delta values
    Why do you say that?
    INFj / EII / FiNe
    ()


    "Fairy Tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten." - G.K. Chesterton

    "Have courage and be kind." - Cinderella's mom

  8. #8
    Kristiina's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Estonia, Tartu
    Posts
    4,021
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I would have said ESTj/ISTp. He was nice, and I really loved the show, but he was too "good" IMO. He should have just killed Murdoch and be done with it. I really like the Riddick (vin Diesel) sort of good guys - the semi-evil good guys who get shit done.
    EIE, ENFj, intuitive subtype.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

    Cool ILI hubbys are better than LSIs any time!

    Old blog: http://firsttimeinusa.blogspot.com/
    New blog: http://having-a-kid.blogspot.com/

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Minde View Post
    Why do you say that?
    Because that's how it is

    How he solves the problems (essentially what makes MacGyver MacGyver), how he's generally like, and how he behaves in relation to other people especially towards the women, makes him ENTj. What he values based on what the episodes are about, and what problem he tries to solve (in sense of topic of the episode), especially in the later episodes, are delta-values.

    He's not a real person, you see
    ...the human race will disappear. Other races will appear and disappear in turn. The sky will become icy and void, pierced by the feeble light of half-dead stars. Which will also disappear. Everything will disappear. And what human beings do is just as free of sense as the free motion of elementary particles. Good, evil, morality, feelings? Pure 'Victorian fictions'.

    INTp

  10. #10
    JRiddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Indian Territory
    TIM
    Ne-ENTp 7w8 sx/so
    Posts
    838
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    MacGyver seems like a badass handyman to me. Kinda reserved guy who goes around finding practical engineering solutions to military problems. Frankly, he seems like an uber-ISTp.

    JRiddy
    —————King of Socionics—————

    Ne-ENTp 7w8 sx/so

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JRiddy View Post
    MacGyver seems like a badass handyman to me. Kinda reserved guy who goes around finding practical engineering solutions to military problems. Frankly, he seems like an uber-ISTp.
    Not really since he actually isn't that handy. His solutions are usually quite shabby and ad hoc, he doesn't care about the actual quality of his work or about it's aesthetics. Also the way he estimates the materials, isn't si-based. He usually draws the information from previous theoretic knowledge about the items he uses, rather than what's apparent from physical qualities of the objects itself. Also his solutions are intuitive and unconventional. Someone with weak Ne wouldn't come up with as opportunistic solutions as MacGyver does.

    MacGyver isn't the guy to call to fix your car. MacGyver is the guy to call when there's no convetional way to fix your car left, and you still need to get it running for a while somehow.
    ...the human race will disappear. Other races will appear and disappear in turn. The sky will become icy and void, pierced by the feeble light of half-dead stars. Which will also disappear. Everything will disappear. And what human beings do is just as free of sense as the free motion of elementary particles. Good, evil, morality, feelings? Pure 'Victorian fictions'.

    INTp

  12. #12
    Let's go to fairyland Minde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Amongst the stars
    TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Posts
    4,078
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    Because that's how it is

    How he solves the problems (essentially what makes MacGyver MacGyver), how he's generally like, and how he behaves in relation to other people especially towards the women, makes him ENTj. What he values based on what the episodes are about, and what problem he tries to solve (in sense of topic of the episode), especially in the later episodes, are delta-values.

    He's not a real person, you see
    Yeah, I know he isn't. I wasn't necessarily doubting that you could be right, more asking for your reasoning so I could see it for myself. I want to know what you and others think. Sometimes it helps to have an explanation of the opinion in addition to the opinion by itself.

    Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    Not really since he actually isn't that handy. His solutions are usually quite shabby and ad hoc, he doesn't care about the actual quality of his work or about it's aesthetics. Also the way he estimates the materials, isn't si-based. He usually draws the information from previous theoretic knowledge about the items he uses, rather than what's apparent from physical qualities of the objects itself. Also his solutions are intuitive and unconventional. Someone with weak Ne wouldn't come up with as opportunistic solutions as MacGyver does.

    MacGyver isn't the guy to call to fix your car. MacGyver is the guy to call when there's no convetional way to fix your car left, and you still need to get it running for a while somehow.
    Good points, especially that last one. I can accept that his intuition is in general stronger than his sensing.

    Why would you put him as ENTj over ENFp (or ENTp)? Perhaps you could expand upon what you mean by "how he behaves in relation to other people"?
    INFj / EII / FiNe
    ()


    "Fairy Tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten." - G.K. Chesterton

    "Have courage and be kind." - Cinderella's mom

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Minde View Post
    Yeah, I know he isn't. I wasn't necessarily doubting that you could be right, more asking for your reasoning so I could see it for myself. I want to know what you and others think. Sometimes it helps to have an explanation of the opinion in addition to the opinion by itself.
    haha yeah sorry about that, I was taking my laziness on you. Because I like to just say intuitively stuff, and not bother to explain. It kinda feels like I'm wasting my time.

    Generally the problem with typing fictional characters is that, you can create unrealistic combinations, that still seem as plausible. And that people fill in more to the characters than actually is presented. So I don't see typing fictional characters important.

    The show was more Gamma at first. The first episode even had a time running all the time on the screen, to show how much time was left, that's techy.

    Why would you put him as ENTj over ENFp (or ENTp)?
    Against ENFp: It's because on what he focuses on, he focuses on facts and solving problems, more than people, their relationships, feelings and psychology. He just seems obvious thinking type. Also he doesn't seem as warm (or whatever) like ENFp.

    Against ENTp: He seems more of Te-type than Ti-type, because he focuses on useful facts and how they can be used to solve the problem at hand, instead of focusing more on systems, rules or how things work. Also his overall personality is more serious than goofy. And he seems more rational than irrational. Also he seems like fi-valuer.

    Perhaps you could expand upon what you mean by "how he behaves in relation to other people"?
    That was more intuitive than anything. He seems like a victim when acting towards women. He doesn't really hit on them or anything. Some kind of familiarity in his behaviour that I can relate to, except that he's lot more social, and seems to know lot of all kinds of people from his past.
    ...the human race will disappear. Other races will appear and disappear in turn. The sky will become icy and void, pierced by the feeble light of half-dead stars. Which will also disappear. Everything will disappear. And what human beings do is just as free of sense as the free motion of elementary particles. Good, evil, morality, feelings? Pure 'Victorian fictions'.

    INTp

  14. #14
    UDP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    East Coast West Coast Dirty South
    TIM
    LSE
    Posts
    14,826
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kristiina View Post
    I would have said ESTj/ISTp. He was nice, and I really loved the show, but he was too "good" IMO. He should have just killed Murdoch and be done with it. I really like the Riddick (vin Diesel) sort of good guys - the semi-evil good guys who get shit done.
    Byronic Heroes?
    Pre-2013 post are written with incomplete understanding.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    USA.
    TIM
    INTj
    Posts
    4,497
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    badass handyman <3

    (no mullets though)

  16. #16
    Twist-Tie Spider iAnnAu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Knoxhell TN
    Posts
    987
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    MacGuyver LOLcat
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Bukowski
    We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.
    SLI

  17. #17
    kensi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Edmonton, Ab, Canada
    Posts
    567
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    I'd say ENTj with delta values
    clever
    ENTP:wink:ALPHA

  18. #18
    kensi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Edmonton, Ab, Canada
    Posts
    567
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    wow....there's someone interesting to type.

    ...loved the 80s shows as a kid.

    dunno....assuming 16 types.......mellow ENTp (not exactly a posterboy fit anywhere)
    ENTP:wink:ALPHA

  19. #19
    Smilingeyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,228
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    One vote for ENTj-Te
    First eliminate every possible source of error. Thence success is inevitable.

  20. #20
    Let's go to fairyland Minde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Amongst the stars
    TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Posts
    4,078
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    haha yeah sorry about that, I was taking my laziness on you. Because I like to just say intuitively stuff, and not bother to explain. It kinda feels like I'm wasting my time.

    Generally the problem with typing fictional characters is that, you can create unrealistic combinations, that still seem as plausible. And that people fill in more to the characters than actually is presented. So I don't see typing fictional characters important.

    The show was more Gamma at first. The first episode even had a time running all the time on the screen, to show how much time was left, that's techy.



    Against ENFp: It's because on what he focuses on, he focuses on facts and solving problems, more than people, their relationships, feelings and psychology. He just seems obvious thinking type. Also he doesn't seem as warm (or whatever) like ENFp.

    Against ENTp: He seems more of Te-type than Ti-type, because he focuses on useful facts and how they can be used to solve the problem at hand, instead of focusing more on systems, rules or how things work. Also his overall personality is more serious than goofy. And he seems more rational than irrational. Also he seems like fi-valuer.



    That was more intuitive than anything. He seems like a victim when acting towards women. He doesn't really hit on them or anything. Some kind of familiarity in his behaviour that I can relate to, except that he's lot more social, and seems to know lot of all kinds of people from his past.
    Thanks, warlord.

    Yes, typing fictional characters has its pitfalls, especially if you have different people contributing to the construction and presentation, but it can still be fun. So thanks for taking the time to explain your thoughts to me.

    Quote Originally Posted by kensi View Post
    wow....there's someone interesting to type.

    ...loved the 80s shows as a kid.

    dunno....assuming 16 types.......mellow ENTp (not exactly a posterboy fit anywhere)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smilingeyes View Post
    One vote for ENTj-Te
    Would you two mind explaining how you get to those conclusions? I would be interested to know.
    INFj / EII / FiNe
    ()


    "Fairy Tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten." - G.K. Chesterton

    "Have courage and be kind." - Cinderella's mom

  21. #21
    ILE - ENTp 1981slater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Spain
    TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Posts
    4,866
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default x

    Since MacGyver is a fictional character, he's difficult to type because he conveys traits of several p-types. Anyway, I'm against MacGyver as Delta ST: Delta ST's don't like to travel but they feel at ease when they have an stable workplace whereas Mac values "adventure and uncertainty". He has ego-boosts when he has to find quick solutions to unexpected problems, which makes him an ENTp IMO
    ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

    To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

  22. #22
    JRiddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Indian Territory
    TIM
    Ne-ENTp 7w8 sx/so
    Posts
    838
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    Not really since he actually isn't that handy. His solutions are usually quite shabby and ad hoc, he doesn't care about the actual quality of his work or about it's aesthetics. Also the way he estimates the materials, isn't si-based. He usually draws the information from previous theoretic knowledge about the items he uses, rather than what's apparent from physical qualities of the objects itself. Also his solutions are intuitive and unconventional. Someone with weak Ne wouldn't come up with as opportunistic solutions as MacGyver does.

    MacGyver isn't the guy to call to fix your car. MacGyver is the guy to call when there's no convetional way to fix your car left, and you still need to get it running for a while somehow.
    I understand what you are suggesting with the weak Ne idea, but I think it's a bit limiting to suggest implicitly that those with "weak" Ne in the Model A sense are inadvertently tied to convention. Certainly there are other kinds of opportunism than what is traditionally associated with Ne. In fact I would associate ISTps in many cases with the kind of people who can fix your cars when you don't really have the necessary parts, because they can fabricate or come up with work-arounds. Their resourcefulness has a practical quality to it, rather than the more analytic or conceptual resourcefulness of Gamma NTs.

    I actually have found ISTps to be one of the more interesting "inventor" types in many cases. I think a really good historical contrast of an Alpha and Delta approach to this (I know this doesn't help with Gamma, but I'll get there) is the War of the Currents between Thomas Edison (Te-ISTp, some people have him as ESTj, close enough to work with) and Nikola Tesla (Ti-ENTp). Essentially Tesla cared about the theoretical possibilities of electricity and other such things, and Edison cared about practical applications. Though Edison was probably aware of "opportunities" and was nothing if not resourceful, he was firmly grounded in creating products and solving practical problems. I see this same pattern with MacGyver, whose resourcefulness is tied to a Te-Si approach, which essentially works by allowing to see what parts of his environment he can manipulate in order to accomplish some tactical goal. I would expect a Gamma to be more broadly conceptual and strategic about this.

    Additionally, I really can't see the MacGyver character as being an EJ type at all. He's far too laid back and reacts too smoothly to situations for that. He doesn't come across as particularly social or energetic either, and seems to be a somewhat quiet individual speaking when he needs to, and otherwise just doing his job.

    Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    haha yeah sorry about that, I was taking my laziness on you. Because I like to just say intuitively stuff, and not bother to explain. It kinda feels like I'm wasting my time.

    Generally the problem with typing fictional characters is that, you can create unrealistic combinations, that still seem as plausible. And that people fill in more to the characters than actually is presented. So I don't see typing fictional characters important.
    That's a very good point, I think. I will admit that I have typed Richard Dean Anderson as Te-ISTp, and that certainly influences my thinking here. However, it isn't necessarily a bad thing to use an actor's type to type a character, especially when the actor either a) was selected for the role based on what are essentially sociotypical criteria, or b) had significant input and discretion in developing the character. My understanding is that (b) is certainly true for Richard Dean Anderson and MacGyver.

    Quote Originally Posted by 1981slater View Post
    Since MacGyver is a fictional character, he's difficult to type because he conveys traits of several p-types. Anyway, I'm against MacGyver as Delta ST: Delta ST's don't like to travel but they feel at ease when they have an stable workplace whereas Mac values "adventure and uncertainty". He has ego-boosts when he has to find quick solutions to unexpected problems, which makes him an ENTp IMO
    So there are no Delta ST movie stars? No touring musicians? While I've certainly seen Delta STs that value stability in the sense I think you are describing, I don't see why there cannot be an adventurousness about them as well. MacGyver seems far too serious and grounded to be an ENTp, and while he is certainly adventurous, he doesn't seem...exploratory, especially not conceptually.

    JRiddy
    —————King of Socionics—————

    Ne-ENTp 7w8 sx/so

  23. #23
    kensi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Edmonton, Ab, Canada
    Posts
    567
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Minde View Post
    Thanks, warlord.


    Would you two mind explaining how you get to those conclusions? I would be interested to know.

    I dont have a problem with ENTj....he reminds me of a guy named Doug Flutie who i believe is an ENTj with delta values. I just have a real hard time seeing ENTjs like this as i have known plenty ENTjs that are radically different from him (unbearably different).......maybe he is an ENTp that uses the j/p dichotomy differntly from traditional models and comes around giving off an ENTj feel or vice versa.....hence more j/p controversy.

    edit: perhaps MacG uses both Ne and Te as in his Dominant and Creative functions....hence that feel. I have for a long time suspected Model A to be too limitative to the true nature of man.(woman too...i think and not in that order,haha)....this is just all speculation though based on previous conceptions about him...honestly havn't seen a t.v shot or vid of him in probably over a decade now.
    ENTP:wink:ALPHA

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •