Results 1 to 27 of 27

Thread: everything a projection?

  1. #1
    dbmmama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,831
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default everything a projection?

    what type believes everything is a projection of themselves or of others?

  2. #2
    Creepy-Diana

    Default

    .

  3. #3
    dbmmama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,831
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Diana View Post
    Slightly unbalanced Fe egos seem to do that most often around here. But, I don't see how anyone could believe that everything is a projection of something. Even those who think most things are must see some things as solid, as just being? Don't they? I imagine that would be a very hard way to live, seeing projections everywhere.
    it was, especially as a child. we're talking SUPER self conscious, anger and low self esteem. i've learned many ways to deal with it into it being a cool way of handling things to make the physical world around me one that i desire instead of fear.

    it's not that i dont perceive solid, i do, but, it's still in context of it being a projection.

  4. #4
    dbmmama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,831
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Diana View Post
    Slightly unbalanced Fe egos seem to do that most often around here. But, I don't see how anyone could believe that everything is a projection of something. Even those who think most things are must see some things as solid, as just being? Don't they? I imagine that would be a very hard way to live, seeing projections everywhere.
    and i thought the projection would have to do with Ni not Fe? because i've been leaning toward Fi lately. my sense of like/dislike is very strong compared to my sense of mood/atmosphere. i'm really sucky irl at maintaining or controlling mood/atmosphere. ask my sis. i tend to be a "joykill" because i'm so serious. lol i only get a little silly with people i am VERY comfortable with and trust or online.

  5. #5
    Joy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    TIM
    SEE-Se
    Posts
    24,501
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dbmmama View Post
    what type believes everything is a projection of themselves or of others?
    Betas, especially Beta NF's, seem to be the most fond of telling people that they're projecting any time that person criticizes someone. But I'm guessing that saying "you're just projecting" in an argument probably isn't what you're talking about.

    We all see the world through our own eyes and process it with our own mind. A cheater will always suspect others of cheating, a liar will always worry (s)he's being lied to, a confrontational/reactive person will always think that people are trying to pick fights with him/her, etc. This is one of the ways in which our outer circumstances are a reflection of our inner state. I think a strong awareness of this sort of underlying connection might be related to Ni.
    SEE-Se, 852 sx/so

    Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

  6. #6
    Creepy-Diana

    Default

    .

  7. #7
    dbmmama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,831
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    We all see the world through our own eyes and process it with our own mind. A cheater will always suspect others of cheating, a liar will always worry (s)he's being lied to, a confrontational/reactive person will always think that people are trying to pick fights with him/her, etc. This is one of the ways in which our outer circumstances are a reflection of our inner state. I think a strong awareness of this sort of underlying connection might be related to Ni.
    yes

  8. #8
    dbmmama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,831
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Diana View Post
    As a kid, I knew exactly who I was, and was proud to be me and not anyone else. And if someone said something that wasn't true about me, it made me mad because they were wrong, and were saying something false, not because I believed them. I still react the same way.

    I get hurt by what people say, not because I think there's any truth to it, but because they could believe something so clearly false about me. "How could you think that about me?" is what goes through my head if I care about their opinion.
    as a kid i didn't know who i was, not as a physical human anyway. this world was very scary. the only way i've dealt with those fears is by strengthening my inner knowing of everything AS a projection. then, others cant hurt me anymore. or at least i am not letting them. while still keeping an open mind to what they are saying if there is truth in it for me or not.

  9. #9
    Creepy-Diana

    Default

    .

  10. #10
    misutii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    1,234
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    Betas, especially Beta NF's, seem to be the most fond of telling people that they're projecting any time that person criticizes someone. But I'm guessing that saying "you're just projecting" in an argument probably isn't what you're talking about.
    I've found that certain types actually "project" insults upon others more than others though. usually they're SLEs and LSIs lol. Seriously though, logical sensory types are very often clueless as to what's going on inside my head and thus assume for pragmatic reasons, usually in arguments, that I'm like them. It's ironic some of the insults I've received in the past, "you're selfish, you're an asshole, you're this, you're that etc." what's ironic is that the person saying it also has admitted that they are "this" or they are "that" in the past. Furthermore the insult is purely superficial and when challenged on it they always give in.

    For the record I've only ever experienced this in interactions with logical types.
    INFp-Ni

  11. #11
    I've been waiting for you Satan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Behind you
    TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Posts
    4,956
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)

    Default

    You're projecting!

  12. #12
    I've been waiting for you Satan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Behind you
    TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Posts
    4,956
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by misutii View Post
    I've found that certain types actually "project" insults upon others more than others though. usually they're SLEs and LSIs lol. Seriously though, logical sensory types are very often clueless as to what's going on inside my head and thus assume for pragmatic reasons, usually in arguments, that I'm like them. It's ironic some of the insults I've received in the past, "you're selfish, you're an asshole, you're this, you're that etc." what's ironic is that the person saying it also has admitted that they are "this" or they are "that" in the past. Furthermore the insult is purely superficial and when challenged on it they always give in.

    For the record I've only ever experienced this in interactions with logical types.
    How selfish of you to consider such things.

  13. #13
    Trevor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,860
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by misutii View Post
    Seriously though, logical sensory types are very often clueless as to what's going on inside my head and thus assume for pragmatic reasons, usually in arguments, that I'm like them.
    I know two SLEs who are doing this often.

  14. #14
    Haikus
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    MI
    TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Posts
    10,060
    Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    It takes a long time to really, truly know who somebody is. Not who you wish they were, or who you don't want them to be.

    I remember this one shrink I had assumed a lot of things about me just because I was quiet. It was annoying. She'd project a bunch of other things, that sounded like they make good sense but were ultimately false. (That I was a good chessplayer for one.)

    Seeing things for what they really are is a true gift. I think we all kind of debate/talk things over until that consensus is reached.

    Projections are still necessary though, as that is the learning process. You just can't ultimately come into knowing what somebody is in their full essence, as where is the fun in that?

    What types have accurate assessments over people? I'm not sure I do. I have a very strong intuitive sense of what is going to happen next, but not really what somebody truly likes. I honestly get surprised over this. I don't know what to believe, if things and people go against stereotypes. I tend to think they're just trying to cover up the stereotype in order to appear tough, when they're really not like that- they're really my perception. But I'm most likely being wrong and arrogant, just like my shrink was.

  15. #15
    Creepy-Cyclops

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dbmmama View Post
    what type believes everything is a projection of themselves or of others?
    This is a personality issue, not a psychological type issue.

  16. #16
    dbmmama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,831
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    the way most here are defining projection is not what i meant.

    for instance, when this weekend an annoying salesman kept trying to hand me a sample when i had politely told him "no thank you," and he said condescendingly "oh, i thought you might change your mind." i *almost* went off on him to the point hubby thought i was gonna "duke it out" with him. i *almost* said "i'll change my mind alright and stick that sample up your ass." hubby is the one who pulls me back and asks me "is he worth it?" i've never got into an actual fight, physical anyway. but, i've definitely gotten into it with others who treat me that way when i've already told them NO, THANK YOU, among other things.

    my point: when i look at situations that happen like that, i see how i was actually mad at *myself* when i might act condescending that way to anyone. it helps me see when i might be acting that way and it helps me to stop and be more self aware to not do that to others. it also helps me to pull myself back without having to have hubby to do it for me.

    for me, all of my actions are in some way "things" that teach me how i am seeing the world and how i want to change what i am seeing in my perspective so my world is in line with my desires, not my human gut reactions that only give me heartache in the end.

    this has been a learning process but one that has helped me not be an ass. when i see everything this way, it helps me to *chill out* and not be so judgmental and a hardass about people's and my own behaviors. then, i can relax and be silly and goofy and not "worry" about what others think of me because i'm not worrying about what others are doing either. if i see others behaviors as projections too, i dont have to judge them as "right" or "wrong" they just ARE.

    from the book "Loving What Is," THAT has helped me tons in my life.

  17. #17
    dbmmama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,831
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ifmd95 View Post
    if you try to see food instead of buying groceries, you will die.
    why not work on both?

  18. #18
    I've been waiting for you Satan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Behind you
    TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Posts
    4,956
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ifmd95 View Post
    if you try to see food instead of buying groceries, you will die.
    The trick is, when you see food to eat it. Try it, you may find the experience quite enjoyable. And then you'll stop seeing groceries.

  19. #19
    dbmmama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,831
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ifmd95 View Post
    you may, but in one case you are more certainly working on something that "is."
    i want it all.

  20. #20
    Waddlesworth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,159
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Projection is real and it is done by everyone all of the time. When you are aware of projection as being real and ever-present you will be supplied with a great tool and power.

  21. #21
    Ritella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    at your feet
    Posts
    2,092
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Waddlesworth View Post
    Projection is real and it is done by everyone all of the time. When you are aware of projection as being real and ever-present you will be supplied with a great tool and power.
    I agree with this. The simple fact is, that the only resource we have to understand other people is ourselves, so everything is going to be subject to our own individual "lens" or projection. How much someone projects, however, is IMO related to awareness of this and the fact that other people are not exactly like him/her, coupled with experience and exposure to different people/POVs.
    Basically, I think, people think "green is green" until they realize that someone else is describing it as red.
    EII; E6(w5)

    i am flakey

  22. #22
    implied's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    7,750
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    then what type projects things/traits/motivations onto other people that don't necessarily exist?
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

  23. #23
    Jarno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    TIM
    ILI-Te
    Posts
    5,375
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dbmmama View Post
    what type believes everything is a projection of themselves or of others?
    Could you clarify this?

    What do you mean with projection.

  24. #24
    Currently God Brilliand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Nevada
    TIM
    LII
    Posts
    4,246
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Your perspective determines reality - while there may be something there, just what it is is lost among your perceptions. All that you can really know is what your perceptions are...

    ^That's what I think "everything is a projection" means.



    LII-Ne

    "Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

    Johari

  25. #25
    Jarno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    TIM
    ILI-Te
    Posts
    5,375
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brilliand View Post
    Your perspective determines reality - while there may be something there, just what it is is lost among your perceptions. All that you can really know is what your perceptions are...

    ^That's what I think "everything is a projection" means.
    If that is what it means, I would say it's a perspective often encountered in people with rationalism as a philosophy. Which is mostly associated with Ti leading function.

  26. #26
    Waddlesworth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,159
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Here is an interesting quote:

    Quote Originally Posted by quote
    "...so we see them and they remind us of how we can't be that way. We avoid expressing our jealousy and instead use words to describe the person. The less true we are about why we dislike them[and the more emotional the situation], the more the words describe ourselves."
    There is an overarching tendency for people to draw their conclusions about their surrounding world from subconscious pools of self-relevant information.

    From my observations this tendency is most pronounced in extroverts, who spend less time thinking about what they say.

    People have little awareness of how much the 'self' determines the judgement of what is seen in the external perception. Personal limitations will determine the limitations of those around them, for example.

    Some examples:

    A "butch" woman will point out the "butchness" in her competition, an adolescent with latent homosexual tendencies(caused by masturbation) will spend a disproportionate amount of time accusing peers of being homosexual.

    A person with a learning disability or an insecurity related to their intelligence will accuse others of being stupid.

    Often a person will target someone with the same weaknesses as their own, but which are more pronounced. When this occurs it will be like seeing the person staring into a mirror and yelling at themselves.

    So some words of advice: Don't let the words of another guide how you feel about yourself. Do not internalize the criticisms of others. Instead look upon those who hurl insults and judgements with pity and care. Only saints and angels earn the right to judge others.

  27. #27
    UDP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    East Coast West Coast Dirty South
    TIM
    LSE
    Posts
    14,826
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    every time I see this threads title I think of one of my favorite FDG quotes:

    something like.....



    "When you say everyone is acting so stupid, it's because you're PrOjEcTiNg!"
    Pre-2013 post are written with incomplete understanding.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •