Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 50

Thread: Difficulty understanding Quasi-Identical in writing

  1. #1
    Cat Lady aixelsyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    488
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Difficulty understanding Quasi-Identical in writing

    .
    Life's a bitch and she's got me pussy whipped.

  2. #2
    from toronto with love ScarlettLux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Posts
    3,401
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hostage_Child View Post
    It's said that Quasis have a very hard time naturally understanding each other. Is it normal for most any type to have to re-read what their Quasi has written and is it usually an unpleasant process in reading and examining their writings?

    I honestly cannot stand to read works written by LIIs. I can barely understand it and I want to fall asleep. I don't know if it's just an intertype relation thing or if it's just that they write in a way that is so difficult to maintain focus on what is being said. I doubt this is a beneficiary thing more so than being related to QIs.

    Do other types find they have to strain to understand their Quasi Identical or just find what they say to be mind-numbing?
    Yes, I relate to this, most definitely with IEEs and EIIs as well in fact. It's that glazed eye feeling when you're skimming over their words -- everything they write seems to be incredibly drawn out and unnecessary, imo. It's just like a jumble of boring words that doesn't get anywhere - lack of I suppose and way too much focus for me... delves too deeply that I want to say, WHERE IS THE FORCE??? Force as in the emphasis, the real meat of what you're getting at. Hmm, hard to describe. Also the ... lawd....


    Dress pretty, play dirty ღ
    Johari
    Nohari

  3. #3
    redbaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    9,321
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ScarlettLux View Post
    Yes, I relate to this, most definitely with IEEs and EIIs as well in fact. It's that glazed eye feeling when you're skimming over their words -- everything they write seems to be incredibly drawn out and unnecessary, imo. It's just like a jumble of boring words that doesn't get anywhere - lack of I suppose and way too much focus for me... delves too deeply that I want to say, WHERE IS THE FORCE??? Force as in the emphasis, the real meat of what you're getting at. Hmm, hard to describe. Also the ... lawd....
    Yes, this is true for me with my mother, who is EII. And even when we're talking, sometimes I just sit there waiting for her to get to the point already. Too much verbage. I figured it was just because she's wordy or something but I guess it could be type related. lol
    IEI-Fe 4w3

  4. #4
    unefille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    841
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Same with me and IEEs, much less so than with EIIs. Even incredibly intelligent IEEs tend to sort of speak in broken fragments; they sort of 'pad' their way toward the point they're making and they seem to have this weird habit of interrupting themselves.

    'You see it's like this....or maybe like this? Hmm, wait, let me think about it...ok, so if A is thus and B is thus, but then again, A is never really thus, is it? So...what I'm trying to say IS...'
    ()
    3w4-1w2-5w4 sx/sp

  5. #5
    Ritella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    at your feet
    Posts
    2,092
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by unefille View Post
    Same with me and IEEs, much less so than with EIIs. Even incredibly intelligent IEEs tend to sort of speak in broken fragments; they sort of 'pad' their way toward the point they're making and they seem to have this weird habit of interrupting themselves.

    'You see it's like this....or maybe like this? Hmm, wait, let me think about it...ok, so if A is thus and B is thus, but then again, A is never really thus, is it? So...what I'm trying to say IS...'
    The funny thing is that Ni-types tend to see me as really weirdly spacey. My mom thinks I look autistic or something. I never think Ne-types seem spacey or fragmented. Ni-types, otoh, always seem really spacey, out of it, and slightly strange to me.
    EII; E6(w5)

    i am flakey

  6. #6
    redbaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    9,321
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    The funny thing is that Ni-types tend to see me as really weirdly spacey. My mom thinks I look autistic or something. I never think Ne-types seem spacey or fragmented. Ni-types, otoh, always seem really spacey, out of it, and slightly strange to me.
    ROTFL That's because I AM really spacey and out of it. Yeah, my mom probably thinks the same thing about me.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

  7. #7
    Ritella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    at your feet
    Posts
    2,092
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    ROTFL That's because I AM really spacey and out of it. Yeah, my mom probably thinks the same thing about me.
    LOL. Well I am SUPER spacey. (I chronically have bruises on my legs and I have no clue what I bumped into.)
    The thing is that it seems like Ne-types perceive Ne-spaciness as normal and Ni-spaciness as "offbeat," and vice versa.
    EII; E6(w5)

    i am flakey

  8. #8
    redbaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    9,321
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    LOL. Well I am SUPER spacey. (I chronically have bruises on my legs and I have no clue what I bumped into.)
    The thing is that it seems like Ne-types perceive Ne-spaciness as normal and Ni-spaciness as "offbeat," and vice versa.
    Yeah that is odd. I know a male IEE who always seems very spacey. Worse than any EIIs I know.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

  9. #9
    I've been waiting for you Satan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Behind you
    TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Posts
    4,956
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)

    Default

    tereg seems spacy to me

  10. #10
    unefille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    841
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    The funny thing is that Ni-types tend to see me as really weirdly spacey. My mom thinks I look autistic or something. I never think Ne-types seem spacey or fragmented. Ni-types, otoh, always seem really spacey, out of it, and slightly strange to me.
    I think of Ne-types as scattered and Ni-types as space-cadets. I have a tendency to tune out entirely of the environment I am in, or to operate from a strange, pulled-back internal place. When I'm reading a book, I operate in the book world -- nothing seems particularly real and I can see/hear/smell without actually seeing/hearing/smelling anything. Ne-egos on the other hand seem more diffuse in their spaciness, as though their attention is constantly shifting and drifting, their thoughts roving/jumping rathering than um, drilling inward as mine do.

    One of my EII friends describes me as a bit of a machine when I'm reading/writing (we studied together during our thesis year this year) -- I become dead to the world with my earphones in. She really liked creeping up next to me and staring at me and scaring the shit out of me -- I'm one of those jumpy heart-attack people. She'd never seen anyone tune out so entirely.
    ()
    3w4-1w2-5w4 sx/sp

  11. #11
    07490's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    there
    Posts
    3,047
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by unefille View Post
    I think of Ne-types as scattered and Ni-types as space-cadets. I have a tendency to tune out entirely of the environment I am in, or to operate from a strange, pulled-back internal place. When I'm reading a book, I operate in the book world -- nothing seems particularly real and I can see/hear/smell without actually seeing/hearing/smelling anything. Ne-egos on the other hand seem more diffuse in their spaciness, as though their attention is constantly shifting and drifting, their thoughts roving/jumping rathering than um, drilling inward as mine do.

    One of my EII friends describes me as a bit of a machine when I'm reading/writing (we studied together during our thesis year this year) -- I become dead to the world with my earphones in. She really liked creeping up next to me and staring at me and scaring the shit out of me -- I'm one of those jumpy heart-attack people. She'd never seen anyone tune out so entirely.

    Unefille this is why NI domiant people usually end up in the mental hosiptal. You put it in a very good and concise way though.
    Last edited by 07490; 11-02-2008 at 08:05 AM. Reason: X
    (D)IEE~FI-(C)SLE~Ni E-5w4(Sp/Sx)/7w8(So/Sp)/9w1(sp/sx)

    Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    1)
    A girl who I want to date, asks me: well first tell me how tall you are?
    My reply: well I will answer that, if you first tell me how much you weigh!

    2)
    A girl I was dating said she was oh so great at sex etc, but she didn't do blowjobs.
    My reply: Oh I'm really romantic etc, I just will never take you out to dinner.

  12. #12
    Haikus Sirena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    GAH, US
    TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Posts
    2,549
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by unefille View Post
    Same with me and IEEs, much less so than with EIIs. Even incredibly intelligent IEEs tend to sort of speak in broken fragments; they sort of 'pad' their way toward the point they're making and they seem to have this weird habit of interrupting themselves.

    'You see it's like this....or maybe like this? Hmm, wait, let me think about it...ok, so if A is thus and B is thus, but then again, A is never really thus, is it? So...what I'm trying to say IS...'
    LOL. This made me laugh because I realize this is exactly how I talk. I was actually thinking about it yesterday after getting off the phone with someone, thinking to myself "God, I probably sound like an idiot!" (no pun intended re: "God" if this person is reading this ). I think some people get annoyed by it since it is pretty obvious that I seem to lack focus when trying to explain myself. I don't know what it is (Ne I suppose), but I can't seem to help it. It's like my mind is going in a hundred different directions. I'm able to organize it much better in writing, but anyone who has actually spoken to me can vouch for my scatterness when talking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    LOL. Well I am SUPER spacey. (I chronically have bruises on my legs and I have no clue what I bumped into.)
    The thing is that it seems like Ne-types perceive Ne-spaciness as normal and Ni-spaciness as "offbeat," and vice versa.
    Yeah, this makes sense. I think what unefille was describing is more related to scatterness than spaciness though and it seems to have to do with Ti PoLR/Role and Ne ego, although I suspect it would be more pronounced in IEEs given Ti PoLR and Ne leading (and a pinch of irrationality to finish it up).

  13. #13
    Ritella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    at your feet
    Posts
    2,092
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    @unefille: I really liked your latest description about Ni vs. Ne. The one thing i would add is that I look very "in my head," as well. But, yeah, the difference is that I look more scattered and oblivious to physical reality, whereas Ni types look like they're existing on some imaginary planet in their own head. It's odd because I feel like Ni spaciness looks similar to mine when it's blocked with Te. For example, people are always commenting that my ILI dad and I have similar expressions. Ni blocked with Fe is really strange looking to me. It doesn't look "dorky," it looks....ODD. When Ni is blocked with Te, it's like the person is snapping into different trains of thought. When it's blocked with Fe, it's like the person is slipping into different PERSONAS, like they're acting or something. So so odd to me.

    @sirena: Don't worry about the spaciness. Tbh, I used to be self conscious about mine but now I just think it's funny. This is probably spoken like a true Ne-valuer, heh, but I think that scatterdness is a sign of intelligence. When people assume I'm a moron because I'm so scattered I just think "ah you're so closed minded. you must just base things on image." I mean, even stupid people can "sound smart" if they tried. Please.........
    EII; E6(w5)

    i am flakey

  14. #14
    Haikus Sirena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    GAH, US
    TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Posts
    2,549
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    @unefille: I really liked your latest description about Ni vs. Ne. The one thing i would add is that I look very "in my head," as well. But, yeah, the difference is that I look more scattered and oblivious to physical reality, whereas Ni types look like they're existing on some imaginary planet in their own head. It's odd because I feel like Ni spaciness looks similar to mine when it's blocked with Te. For example, people are always commenting that my ILI dad and I have similar expressions. Ni blocked with Fe is really strange looking to me. It doesn't look "dorky," it looks....ODD. When Ni is blocked with Te, it's like the person is snapping into different trains of thought. When it's blocked with Fe, it's like the person is slipping into different PERSONAS, like they're acting or something. So so odd to me.
    This is also how I see it.
    @sirena: Don't worry about the spaciness. Tbh, I used to be self conscious about mine but now I just think it's funny. This is probably spoken like a true Ne-valuer, heh, but I think that scatterdness is a sign of intelligence. When people assume I'm a moron because I'm so scattered I just think "ah you're so closed minded. you must just base things on image." I mean, even stupid people can "sound smart" if they tried. Please.........
    <3 You're right. I like the way SLIs seem to always be looking to pin my scattered thoughts down for me. Like I'll be going on about something in 10 different directions and they'll just sit there and listen patiently all the while trying to pin down what the heck it is I'm trying to say. Sometimes they have this uncanny ability to state exactly what I was trying to say concisely, in a sentence or two. Sometimes I still end up leaving them confused as hell though.

  15. #15
    Creepy-Diana

    Default

    .

  16. #16
    I've been waiting for you Satan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Behind you
    TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Posts
    4,956
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    @unefille: I really liked your latest description about Ni vs. Ne. The one thing i would add is that I look very "in my head," as well. But, yeah, the difference is that I look more scattered and oblivious to physical reality, whereas Ni types look like they're existing on some imaginary planet in their own head. It's odd because I feel like Ni spaciness looks similar to mine when it's blocked with Te. For example, people are always commenting that my ILI dad and I have similar expressions. Ni blocked with Fe is really strange looking to me. It doesn't look "dorky," it looks....ODD. When Ni is blocked with Te, it's like the person is snapping into different trains of thought. When it's blocked with Fe, it's like the person is slipping into different PERSONAS, like they're acting or something. So so odd to me.

    @sirena: Don't worry about the spaciness. Tbh, I used to be self conscious about mine but now I just think it's funny. This is probably spoken like a true Ne-valuer, heh, but I think that scatterdness is a sign of intelligence. When people assume I'm a moron because I'm so scattered I just think "ah you're so closed minded. you must just base things on image." I mean, even stupid people can "sound smart" if they tried. Please.........
    Isn't being close-minded a good thing.

  17. #17
    Twist-Tie Spider iAnnAu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Knoxhell TN
    Posts
    987
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Diana View Post
    Ne subtypes are the hardest for me to read. The organization present in Fi and Ti subtype Ne-egos makes them much easier for me to follow. But, Ne subtypes like imo mune or tereg or jriddy or some others aren't easy for me to read. Heavy Ni subtypes can have that same effect actually. Like reyn can take some effort to understand, it feels less. . . anchored to anything I guess. I never have that issue with SEIs.
    That's very interesting to hear, because mune's, tereg's & jriddy's posts are some of the most enjoyable for me to read. I do have to make some effort to understand reyn's like you do, but I also find it worth the effort.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Bukowski
    We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.
    SLI

  18. #18
    tereg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    TIM
    EII/INFj
    Posts
    4,684
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Yes, I can be rather long-winded.

    Understatement of the year.
    INFj

    9w1 sp/sx

  19. #19
    tereg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    TIM
    EII/INFj
    Posts
    4,684
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Now as far as ENFj's go, I don't particularly have a problem understanding them with regards to written or spoken language. They are rather forthright and succinct in what they say which leaves little room for misinterpretation.

    I suppose the misunderstanding is on a more... human level. I understand what it is that they do, maybe even why they do it. But I don't feel like I can connect with them in those regards. There's a human disconnect that seems to happen that I can't quite explain. So, I feel like I'm talking a different "language", that I can palpably sense when I'm not being understood (maybe with my motivations as an example) or that I'm not quite understanding them and their motivations.
    INFj

    9w1 sp/sx

  20. #20

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    USA.
    TIM
    INTj
    Posts
    4,497
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think it depends on the INTp.. I think the Ni ones are harder for me to understand. I actually have trouble paying attention for a long period of time, and tend to skim posts from many people of many types. But in general, i think what hinders understanding for me is feeling that the climate of the conversation is not welcoming.

  21. #21
    Darn Socks Director Abbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Southwest USA
    TIM
    LSE
    Posts
    6,724
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    My 10-year-old brother is an SLE. I understand him now that he has a good reason to act the way he does. My INTj brother is interresting to talk to, and my ISFp brother is a pushover. But the youngest has always been annoying because he's so stubborn...and so am I. He easily gets on my nerves, and threats don't work on him. The only way to get him to do what I want is to use a heap of logic or to bribe him. I ususlly don't have enough logic available, so I use the latter method. The problem is-he only accepts things that we both like, so I end up loosing something in the deal. Hostage Child mentioned writing, so I'd also like to comment that the only difference between my quasi brother's handwriting and mine is the direction we tilt our Ls.

    ESTj
    1w2 sp/so 1-2-6
    Brilliand's Younger Sister
    Squishy's Older Sister

    Johari Nohari

    Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

  22. #22

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,834
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I understand ENFjs writing and speaking, but it's the motivation for why they're saying or doing what they are doing that usually confuses me. We tend to misinterpret bad motives on each other a lot.

    The only time I zone out is the Ni historical discussion...like how something has progressed over time throughout history (they sound very intelligent, but I zone out at that point).

    The big problem I notice between ENFp and ENFj is this...when ENFjs get all wound up and Fe excited about something they kind of get lost in their own intense emotional world, and sometimes forget to consider the rest of the group. It's innocent from their perspective, and they usually apologize (a lot) later if they upset the group. But this can come across as selfish to the ENFp and the apology is just annoying, because we're forced to accept it, even if we don't want to. I figure, just don't do things that will upset others and there won't be a reason to apologize.

    I knew an ENFj who forecefully insisted on leading a whole group of single girls into a male gay bar because she wanted to try it (she was the only one who wasn't out hunting for guys because she already had a BF). She didn't notice that NO one else wanted to go to this bar. Then she enjoyed talking to strangers (what did she care if they were gay? it was fun for her and she had a BF already) while we all looked at our watches and glared. When we suggested that we leave, she nodded, but stayed there for another 30 minutes before I finally got everyone to drag her out of there.

    Not all ENFjs are that oblivious, but they can sometimes feel that they are right, and others should just agree with them, instead of first finding out the opinions of others. I think that's the biggest problem I have in communication with them.

    Then I call them on this and get very frustrated, they get hurt that I'm criticizing and start to attack me. I get hurt at the attack, and it then escalates into ugliness. Not such a good relation in my opinion.
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

  23. #23
    I've been waiting for you Satan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Behind you
    TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Posts
    4,956
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jewels View Post
    I understand ENFjs writing and speaking, but it's the motivation for why they're saying or doing what they are doing that usually confuses me. We tend to misinterpret bad motives on each other a lot.

    The only time I zone out is the Ni historical discussion...like how something has progressed over time throughout history (they sound very intelligent, but I zone out at that point).

    The big problem I notice between ENFp and ENFj is this...when ENFjs get all wound up and Fe excited about something they kind of get lost in their own intense emotional world, and sometimes forget to consider the rest of the group. It's innocent from their perspective, and they usually apologize (a lot) later if they upset the group. But this can come across as selfish to the ENFp and the apology is just annoying, because we're forced to accept it, even if we don't want to. I figure, just don't do things that will upset others and there won't be a reason to apologize.

    I knew an ENFj who forecefully insisted on leading a whole group of single girls into a male gay bar because she wanted to try it (she was the only one who wasn't out hunting for guys because she already had a BF). She didn't notice that NO one else wanted to go to this bar. Then she enjoyed talking to strangers (what did she care if they were gay? it was fun for her and she had a BF already) while we all looked at our watches and glared. When we suggested that we leave, she nodded, but stayed there for another 30 minutes before I finally got everyone to drag her out of there.

    Not all ENFjs are that oblivious, but they can sometimes feel that they are right, and others should just agree with them, instead of first finding out the opinions of others. I think that's the biggest problem I have in communication with them.

    Then I call them on this and get very frustrated, they get hurt that I'm criticizing and start to attack me. I get hurt at the attack, and it then escalates into ugliness. Not such a good relation in my opinion.
    Why did you follow her into a gay bar?

    Anyway, considering you KNEW the situation, and YOU went with it, that shows that you ACCEPTED the situation, even though it was GOING AGAINST what you felt was right.

    What I think you need to do is shorten the time between things GOING AGAINST what you feel is right, and doing actions to change this situation.

    Now, one thing I want to ask you. Is have you ever been conned, by a con artist.

  24. #24

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,834
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mercutio View Post
    Why did you follow her into a gay bar?

    Anyway, considering you KNEW the situation, and YOU went with it, that shows that you ACCEPTED the situation, even though it was GOING AGAINST what you felt was right.

    What I think you need to do is shorten the time between things GOING AGAINST what you feel is right, and doing actions to change this situation.

    Now, one thing I want to ask you. Is have you ever been conned, by a con artist.
    I'm not sure how me going along with going to bar I didn't want to says anything about how ENFjs and ENFps relate? Also, I haven't been conned by a con artist -- still unsure how that related to anything in this discussion.

    You're right that I did go in the gay bar, despite not wanting to. Sure, I could have turned and walked away and wandered home late at night by myself, but it was safer to stick w/ the group. I figured we'd only stay for a few minutes -- since no one wanted to be there except for the ENFj. I waited a period of time to be polite, but I was the one who then insisted we leave.

    Even if I "shorten the time between things GOING AGAINST what you feel is right, and doing actions to change this situation" it wouldn't change the fact that ENFjs and I don't get along. When I've reacted more quickly (instead of controlling myself) ENFjs tend to blow up at me, and me back at them. Just a bad relation in general.

    So, I'm not really sure of your point.
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

  25. #25
    I've been waiting for you Satan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Behind you
    TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Posts
    4,956
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jewels View Post
    I'm not sure how me going along with going to bar I didn't want to says anything about how ENFjs and ENFps relate? Also, I haven't been conned by a con artist -- still unsure how that related to anything in this discussion.
    Well, you said there were many others - let's say six - who didn't want to go, but the ENFj wants to go .. where you then "expected" that it wouldn't happen for long .. like you were rationalising things going in a different direction than you wanted them to do .. giving away your personal power ..

    It's the game a lot of con artists seem to play; they'll play people along, and try to make it out as if the other person wanted to go in that direction .. until they've been conned - and then the con artist is off onto the next target. And the person who has been conned will come to distrust other people more, because they've been conned before.

    You're right that I did go in the gay bar, despite not wanting to. Sure, I could have turned and walked away and wandered home late at night by myself, but it was safer to stick w/ the group. I figured we'd only stay for a few minutes -- since no one wanted to be there except for the ENFj. I waited a period of time to be polite, but I was the one who then insisted we leave.
    So you're saying that everyone else wanted to go along. And that you'd be socially excluding yourself by commiting to a different path. So pretty much you're saying that the ENFJ had a lot more social influence than you, and your "friends" would abandon you, if you didn't want to do what the ENFJ wanted to do, and yet that very thing no-one else wanted to do. DOES THIS SOUND AS STUPID TO YOU, AS IT DOES TO ME?

    Even if I "shorten the time between things GOING AGAINST what you feel is right, and doing actions to change this situation" it wouldn't change the fact that ENFjs and I don't get along. When I've reacted more quickly (instead of controlling myself) ENFjs tend to blow up at me, and me back at them. Just a bad relation in general.
    Yeah, I know you said that you don't get along. I'm just trying to "simplify" things... so that ENFJs can be less problematic for you.

    Lots of people tend to blow up at me. I get used to it myself. Like some people will blow up at me because I'm "arrogant" when I haven't actually done anything. Like I'm giving off an arrogant vibe. But like when that's happened before, I've found than in time, sometimes people can kind of come around, and be more "normal" again, and "apologise" for their reactiveness, and then they can talk about other people that they've acted negatively/harshly against, and how it's not really my problem, and it's about them .. and if I'm not careful it can get long....

    So, I'm not really sure of your point.
    Well my point is, you're saying on a forum about something that's offended you, and I thought that it was like you were waiting too long to act, as if somehow the world would magically change without you doing anything. And then it's like you're venting your frustration at things not working out the way you wanted them to, whilst you delayed your reaction. And so I'm thinking that you should have taken action earlier, so that you woludn't have had as much frustration-buildup, and then things would be fine.

    At the same time, I'm not sure why you're so concerned about the ENFJ blowing up. They like to blow up. They're emotionally unstable. And it's their reaction, you shouldn't let that control you.

  26. #26
    unefille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    841
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jewels View Post
    I'm not sure how me going along with going to bar I didn't want to says anything about how ENFjs and ENFps relate?

    ...

    When I've reacted more quickly (instead of controlling myself) ENFjs tend to blow up at me, and me back at them. Just a bad relation in general.

    So, I'm not really sure of your point.
    Aside from THIS:

    Quote Originally Posted by mercutio View Post
    I'm not sure why you're so concerned about the ENFJ blowing up. They like to blow up. They're emotionally unstable.
    to which I say , everything Merky wrote makes sense to me.

    I don't actually see 'not expressing what I want until later, thus pointing out that the EIE has made me do something I never wanted to in the first place' as self-control, I see it as passive, illogical and a major guilt-trip. That's probably why the EIE is blowing up at you. Not because you're 'dousing her fun' so to speak, but because you, ambivalently equivocated and let her lead you into a gay bar -- which, unless she held a gun to your head, was NOT an act of coercion, you could have just said NO -- and then pointed out that she was (essentially) being selfish and inconsiderate of everyone else. That's a MAJOR ouch for the EIE.

    See, from my perspective, if I don't want to go somewhere, I don't go somewhere. Especially since you seem so certain that everyone else felt the same way: just hold your ground. If everyone sides with you, the EIE has to give in. She'll pout and grouse about how you guys are no fun, but who cares? She'll get over it. I mean, I'm all about making the group of people I'm with HAPPY, but I also like to get my way. If you make it clear to her (without any character digs - like the whole 'you have a BF and you're being selfish about what we single girls want' -- because them are fighting words to me) that you guys have a different idea of fun, she'll just adapt her will. Unless she's deranged. If she's deranged, why are you friends?

    Ergh, these things are so hard to manage. When I go out, if the group is equivocating and indecisive, I just take over. It would hurt me so much if everyone just nodded and went along with everything I said, or at least, didn't resist, then went away and was like 'OMG, she's SO INCONSIDERATE.' If everyone is like NO (strongly and with meaning, as in, not moving to follow her) and she throws a temper tantrum, then um, that's not an EIE v IEE relation thing, that's SHE CRAZY.
    ()
    3w4-1w2-5w4 sx/sp

  27. #27

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    70
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    why on earth is my best friend IEI, while i am EII ??
    we don't always understand each other but at least, we trust each other and are willing to sit and listen as long as it takes.
    we often have a similar feeling of inadequacy that brought us together in the 1st place.
    He's the most tolerant person i've ever met. i can come with any of my "spacey" EII things, he'll never frown at me. Or i may not be EII ? makes me wonder !

    i share values with any NF anyway. The quadra difference comes into play in social easiness. The only one who'll me me laugh effortlessly is the IEE. i just have to watch them speak and smile, and i feel good.

    and mercutio, even though you're supposed to be my conflictor, i have to admit that you are right : if we don't speak out loud, we can't expect everyone to understand.
    I call it the " dead mass tactic" : you think that if you play the inert body, the carrier will get tired before reaching his goal.
    But remember, a group has a will on its own. It just takes a slight impulse and a little slope for the package to be soon unstoppable.

  28. #28

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    USA.
    TIM
    INTj
    Posts
    4,497
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Linalee View Post
    why on earth is my best friend IEI, while i am EII ??
    we don't always understand each other but at least, we trust each other and are willing to sit and listen as long as it takes.
    we often have a similar feeling of inadequacy that brought us together in the 1st place.
    He's the most tolerant person i've ever met. i can come with any of my "spacey" EII things, he'll never frown at me. Or i may not be EII ? makes me wonder !

    i share values with any NF anyway. The quadra difference comes into play in social easiness. The only one who'll me me laugh effortlessly is the IEE. i just have to watch them speak and smile, and i feel good.

    and mercutio, even though you're supposed to be my conflictor, i have to admit that you are right : if we don't speak out loud, we can't expect everyone to understand.
    I call it the " dead mass tactic" : you think that if you play the inert body, the carrier will get tired before reaching his goal.
    But remember, a group has a will on its own. It just takes a slight impulse and a little slope for the package to be soon unstoppable.
    There are many reasons why such friendships can happen. for me, I am very interested in my quasis and often felt that i could relate to their weaknesses too very much, and that was part of why I am drawn to them. But i seem to be drawn to their strengths more to their weaknesses.

  29. #29
    reyn_til_runa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    1,009
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iAnnAu View Post
    That's very interesting to hear, because mune's, tereg's & jriddy's posts are some of the most enjoyable for me to read. I do have to make some effort to understand reyn's like you do, but I also find it worth the effort.
    i could have claimed ESL, but it's a little late for that. fwiw, in communication with others, i actually make an effort to use simple analogies to represent concepts. the idea is that, overall, the gist of the idea, no matter how complicated, will come across. if nothing else, what is important about expressing an idea is that the general relationships which are at work underneath the surface are brought to light. this way, it seems that whatever is universally able to be experienced can be grasped by each person and used as a tool for understanding something different. perhaps this style of communication and understanding is Ni, i don't know. i think the use of analogies confuses some people's thinking, whereas it clarifies my own. nonetheless, it may be better left inside.
    whenever the dog and i see each other we both stop where we are. we regard each other with a mixture of sadness and suspicion and then we feign indifference.

    Jerry, The Zoo Story by Edward Albee

  30. #30
    Twist-Tie Spider iAnnAu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Knoxhell TN
    Posts
    987
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reyn_til_runa View Post
    i could have claimed ESL, but it's a little late for that. fwiw, in communication with others, i actually make an effort to use simple analogies to represent concepts. the idea is that, overall, the gist of the idea, no matter how complicated, will come across. if nothing else, what is important about expressing an idea is that the general relationships which are at work underneath the surface are brought to light. this way, it seems that whatever is universally able to be experienced can be grasped by each person and used as a tool for understanding something different. perhaps this style of communication and understanding is Ni, i don't know. i think the use of analogies confuses some people's thinking, whereas it clarifies my own. nonetheless, it may be better left inside.
    Um, don't miss the part where I said it's worth the effort . Maybe I just haven't yet grown used to your writing style.
    I certainly don't want to discourage you from expressing your ideas!
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Bukowski
    We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.
    SLI

  31. #31
    reyn_til_runa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    1,009
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iAnnAu View Post
    Um, don't miss the part where I said it's worth the effort . Maybe I just haven't yet grown used to your writing style.
    I certainly don't want to discourage you from expressing your ideas!
    no need to encourage. i was not upset.
    whenever the dog and i see each other we both stop where we are. we regard each other with a mixture of sadness and suspicion and then we feign indifference.

    Jerry, The Zoo Story by Edward Albee

  32. #32
    I had words here once, but I didn't feed them Khola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    TIM
    ESE
    Posts
    3,535
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by unefille View Post
    I think of Ne-types as scattered and Ni-types as space-cadetsWhen I'm reading a book, I operate in the book world -- nothing seems particularly real and I can see/hear/smell without actually seeing/hearing/smelling anything.
    I do this. I figured it was Si? Another thing to add to the Ni list, I suppose.
    Hello, my name is Bee. Pleased to meet you .



  33. #33
    Creepy-Diana

    Default

    .

  34. #34
    unefille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    841
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bee View Post
    I do this. I figured it was Si? Another thing to add to the Ni list, I suppose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diana View Post
    Naw, I do it too. It's called "an ability to focus". You just tune into one thing, and tune out the rest.
    I actually think it's the the inability to focus on one's physical circumstances. I don't mean that I have awesome skills of concentration - or I do, but these awesome skills only apply to the intangible. When I'm thinking about an idea/concept/book/thing in my head, I have no capacity to do anything else. I'm a walking zombie. For the whatever period of time I am reading a particular book, I walk and talk as though I'm in that book world, my eyes have a strange glazed quality. For the time that my mind is occupied, I am lost to the world; when working on a project, I am actually not allowed to drive because I am likely to kill myself. I constantly need to be brought 'back to earth' and the bare reality which my senses can perceive simply cannot hold my attention. The world inside my head is just as, if not more, REAL and PRESENT to me as the world around me (but not in the weird way that would make me crazy and/or a fantasist.
    ()
    3w4-1w2-5w4 sx/sp

  35. #35
    I had words here once, but I didn't feed them Khola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    TIM
    ESE
    Posts
    3,535
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Ah. I completely connect with that. Like when you're walking down the street just thinking, no, living something within your own head and you suddenly realise you've crossed about three roads without looking first?

    I do that fairly often. Perhaps Ni will be weeded out by Darwinian processes one day
    Hello, my name is Bee. Pleased to meet you .



  36. #36
    I had words here once, but I didn't feed them Khola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    TIM
    ESE
    Posts
    3,535
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    This brings me forward into something else actually- I really deeply connect with music- most of the times that things such as the above occur I will be listening to some really inspiring song, but for me, it's the lyrics and the composition of another world or a memory brought back to life within that music that sends me into a trance. Does that make sense? Like, I will connect to the inner story or meaning behind those lyrics and how they are pertinent to my own life, or how I can relate them to someone I know, sometimes even just as they are. And suddenly I am there, in this world of imagination. And then suddenly, A CAR!

    And I go "Oh, that's right, I'm walking city blocks on my way to work. Huh. Can I go back to my world now? It's much more emotionally vivid. Sigh. Reality."

    Am I mistaking that for Si, or am I mistaking that for Ni?

    Actually, I'm going to include some of the music that is currently transporting me.

    A few examples:

    http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=VEZ-m61dBKY
    http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=bDuSnrOUfw0
    http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=8x3QYkPAssQ
    http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=8teT_9_nqnw

    Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Khola; 11-11-2008 at 09:16 AM.
    Hello, my name is Bee. Pleased to meet you .



  37. #37

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,687
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    nothing helpful, but I love that first song... its magical

  38. #38
    I had words here once, but I didn't feed them Khola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    TIM
    ESE
    Posts
    3,535
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I know, I adore it.

    It describes to me the purest of loves- innocent, vulnerable, open.

    Pure surrender, beyond the risk of social self destruction.
    Hello, my name is Bee. Pleased to meet you .



  39. #39
    Creepy-Diana

    Default

    .

  40. #40
    I've been waiting for you Satan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Behind you
    TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Posts
    4,956
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)

    Default walking down the street

    ii find it interesting to notice the way different peopel walk down the street, in pairs, or in groups.

    i've noticed with myself it can vary a bit. like with some people we'll walk close together, then skip apart when navigating through people. and then come together again. with some groups, i'll stand ahead, or behind, or slight to the side. although sometimes with groups of three i'll kind of stand in the middle or there'll be alternating positions.

    the thing is i pay attention to a degree, but sometimes i don't pay that much attention.

    i remember when i was young, sometimes people would get all worked up as i kind of went through the middle of them, didn't hold doors open, went sideways through closing doors rather than open them more, jumped. made sudden changes in speed/momentum etc.

    i also used to do things, like i'd move really fst and really quickly, then i'd suddenly slam my foot into the ground beside them. some people would kind of jump, and some would find it kind of amusing.

    the thing is to a degree i can still act that way a bit just in a lighter more moderate way, but now days i'm starting to notice how little attention i can pay.

    likewhen i was young, i remember things like some girl would wave at me, i wouldn't pay attention, focused on something else, they'll react negatively, someone would "inform" me that i had created such a reaction. i'd then be like "i don't have time", "i didn't notice" etc.

    anyway, that whole thing about how it hurts others was told to me, and i had the cocky attitude of "if it hurts so much don't do it" - at the same time i often was "friendly" towards people who didn't respond well, and i could be like, if you want to be nice be nice, if you want to be friendly, be friendly, if you don't give a shit, don't pretend you do.

    anyway, that kind of bit me in the ass because then you get "nice" situations like someone saying he doesn't give a shit about you to the other person.

    so anyway, i tried being nice and friendly to lots of people. and then i found this other thing out - if you're nice to someone, and then you stop, they can think thatthey hvae done something to piss you off.

    so, i learnt to be indifferent, to kind of be "equal" in my interactions. so like if i was "nice" to one girl, i'd suddenly be nice to multiple other grils at the same time etc.

    then i'd get "nice" things like, "he's nice to everyone", "you're not special".

    lah lah .. anyway.. i was goingsomewhere withthis.. oh yeah.. my main problem with consistent attention is with hot girls. they can screw around my "general" attention thing. it's like however much I tired to hide to, people that knew me would be like "you're being weird", and then i'd be like how am i being weird, and i didn't seem to be able to get much better of answer then "you're not saying much", "there's a silence that surrounds you", "i don't feel like i'm that important to you right now" or other kind of mediocre responses.

    anyway so i often kind of "broke" connections with other people when there was some girl i liked or something, and i'd "find myself" in a conversation with her, not quite sure how i got into it. and then i'd start to wonder how it was going, and then she'd seem to get kind of anxious or something, and so i'd find something external/neutral to divert towards.

    anyway, i've always found girls can completely fuck up my attention at times. sometimes so much, that i get these strange idea of getting other people to track things for me because i'm struggling to keep up.

    then i'd find all those "strange" things that seem to happen way more when i like a girl, like suddenly people will kind of want to "help" me, andbe really nice, show that they know me, relate to me more etc.

    anyway, it screws with my awareness of attention.

    the other thing that screws with it is when i get obsessed with something else. and sometimes it's like people complain about me being unreachable, distant, preoccupied etc.

    and i can kind of sya what's on my mind but (most) people not only won't want to listen but they'll try and make what i wsay out to be different than what it is.

    anyway, i as going somewhere with this. i often seem to notice things like when people move out of my way, when people slow down their movement, speed up their movement etc.

    but i get lost on a few things - like i used to kind of go up to someone who was "busy" doing something, and it's like their attention would "flip" and someoneelse would remind me that they were busy, and wouldn't want to impose on others etc.

    and it's like with people whowere busy, occupied etc, it's like i'd often just kind of act as if was no big deal.

    although some people would get *really* pissed off, and those people i learnt were often the selfish ones, who would always be busy looking out for themselves.

    so i'd play all these silly games like, i'd go and interrupt someone for a minor reason to see how they'd react..

    so anyway from all of these games, i got good at being able to find who it'd be easy to ask for things, and how easy.

    then on top of that i'd go and start "balancing", and if someone was bitter over small things then i'd just kind of cut them out. and if they reacted adversely then i'd tell other people that i'd kill them if they were friendly towards this other person. although in reality i'd usually just put my hand on their shoulder orsomething.

    so i'd create this "light" path of "easy" and then i could keep things going through me, and other people didn't have to risk rejection as much and so forth.

    now days it's nothinglike that but hey.

    now i just kind of don't pay attention to most, but pay attention to a few.

    and that includes walkingdown the street. hell i hardly even remember peoples names.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •