Thread: ESTjs who are scientists, artists, or musicians

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default ESTjs who are scientists, artists, or musicians

How many of you know LSE who are scientists, artists, or musicians?

And I don't mean celeberaties, but friends or colleagues etc.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a good question. I'm an art major right now but I don't know if there are any LSE in any of my classes. I'd have to think about it. There is a friend Ive had for some time who is LSE and he enjoys painting and his technique is good. He is not making a living as an artist though. Right now I think he sales pilates equipment or something.

Topaz
    The artifact which is the source of my power will not be kept on the Mountain of Despair beyond the River of Fire guarded by the Dragons of Eternity. It will be in my safe-deposit box. The same applies to the object which is my one weakness.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are 8 professors in my field in my semi-local area of whose types I have a clear idea. 2 of those people are ESTj.
    Of my personal long-time ESTj friends 3 are doctors, two of them do research, one of them has a pHD and the other one is getting hers soon. Another ESTj friend is doing research on the atmosphere of Mars.
    So at least a science background is relatively easy to find with ESTjs.
    First eliminate every possible source of error. Thence success is inevitable.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smilingeyes View Post
    There are 8 professors in my field in my semi-local area of whose types I have a clear idea. 2 of those people are ESTj.
    Of my personal long-time ESTj friends 3 are doctors, two of them do research, one of them has a pHD and the other one is getting hers soon. Another ESTj friend is doing research on the atmosphere of Mars.
    So at least a science background is relatively easy to find with ESTjs.
    Are they really good at what they do though, or does there personality type hinder them somewhat (from what you can see)...as say an INTj might not be hindered ...in the field of science ?
    ENTP:wink:ALPHA

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oke thanks for the answers.

I read somewhere something about LSE sometimes doing these professions.

I had a bit of a hard time believing it. But I guess you'll see them everywhere.

I'm probably biased having an office job with they most common type being LSE and LSI

(1 in 6 is LSE)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nope. LSEs that I know: businessman, professor of science (doing more legal organizing than science), doctor, doctor, doctor, lab technician (doing more lab meintenence than science), IT guy.
    EIE, ENFj, intuitive subtype.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Cool ILI hubbys are better than LSIs any time!

Old blog: http://firsttimeinusa.blogspot.com/
    New blog: http://having-a-kid.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    I'm probably biased having an office job with they most common type being LSE and LSI

(1 in 6 is LSE)
    you have my condolences.
    EIE, ENFj, intuitive subtype.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Cool ILI hubbys are better than LSIs any time!

Old blog: http://firsttimeinusa.blogspot.com/
    New blog: http://having-a-kid.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One LSE I know started in art school and studied pottery, but he decided he couldn't make a living at it and is selling real estate. The other two are a doctor and engineer.
    IEE

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kensi View Post
    Are they really good at what they do though, or does there personality type hinder them somewhat (from what you can see)...as say an INTj might not be hindered ...in the field of science ?
    The 6 others are
    ENTj
    INTj
    ESTp x2
    INTp
    ISFp.

My personal approximation of their professional ability and status would be as follows:

INTj - best at science, excellent lecturer, sucks at organization management, writes the text books on the subject
    ENTj - interesting projects, good group management, interesting lectures on timely subjects, but a bit shallow on content, still young, room to develop
    ESTp1 - kind of average in every way
    ESTp2 - the benefactor of the one above, the grand old man who used to rule the whole field with an iron fist and still makes plenty of decisions from his place of retirement
    INTp - a walking text book, timely and profound knowledge of everything in the field, impressive lecturing, bad at organization management
    ISFp - master of some particularly difficult technical areas in the field, takes no part of the machinations and maneuvers of the others, doesn't really use his professorship
    ESTj1 - great rising star of his generation, had the best scientific cv but was ultimately screwed completely by ESTp2 (and to a lesser degree the INTp) and had his career develop into a bit of a dead-end.
    ESTj2 - a low profile career, good organizational skills, decent scientific skills, decent teaching skills, ok, but nothing spectacular in any particular aspect, still young, room to develop

I was introduced to one more today. She was ISTj, but she's old, before my time. I can't give a decent approximation of her.

But anyway, the community of professors a few decades ago was decidedly alpha-beta around here, the new generation are mainly gamma-delta. What was an advantageous socionic type here before, is now not so advantageous and vice versa.

Though the INTx types of the professors I know, are the ones with the most grand scientific careers, introverts are actually a slight minority in this small sample and they do not have the leadership skills that the job description also entails. The professor is also a manager of a department and has substantial duties relating to economic decions. Professors are also chosen to their posts partially for their interpersonal skills and even clinical abilities (in a medical field), so there are many paths to becoming a respected scientist.

My mars research friend is very young but has great potential. Many ESTj are excellent at maths and any science that has an engineering or physics component is a promising field for the type.

----

Another point on the original subject of the thread. Artists. I have close personal knowledge of two ESTjs who write and direct drama, and have gained at least some minor acclaim in their particular genres. So, not an impossibility, though obviously a minority.
    First eliminate every possible source of error. Thence success is inevitable.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the economics department of my university there are 2 ESTjs and an EJ-Te which seems to be equal on the Si and Ni departments. In my opinion, they're quite good at their job, extremely productive and especially good at fully developing ideas that are in a somewhat embryonal form and/or need some refinement (It may be argued that INTps are better at the latter type of job, yet sometimes the IP temperament reduces their productivity).
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i knew an estj medical student.

my coworker's ex sounds like an estj, also a med student.

i think there are tons of celebs that are artists though.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tiny_dancer View Post
    One LSE I know started in art school and studied pottery, but he decided he couldn't make a living at it and is selling real estate. The other two are a doctor and engineer.
    Potter....or....Real Estate

hmmmmmmm.................
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UDP View Post

IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The one LSE I'm really good friends with is a med student. At the moment he's doing his honours year so that involves scientific research. I think he has mixed feelings about it... he doesn't like not knowing whether an experiment will turn out well (the stuff he's doing involves testing animals so there is quite a lag between the actual work done and obtaining the results).

I have another friend who is a Delta ST, not sure if he's LSE though, he's also a med student.

And finally a guy who I now play in a band with, LSE-Si (very nearly an ESE) - he's an engineer now, but also an extremely good guitarist/general musician/singer.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know one person who quit his manager job with a fat paycheck at the bank to become a florist.

context is king
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

....or....

ἀταραξία

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of the two LSEs I know, one has made a career in the administrative field, eventually rising to the upper echelons of management in her area of expertise. The other worked as an executive assistant for a while. Both tend to have some issues with the people they worked with, particularly anything they perceived as office politics. Last I heard, this led the second LSE to leave her job to work in a bar.

There is possibly a third LSE I know who is retired and now pretty much exclusively raises horses. Before retirement he worked in an unknown capacity for the Department of Labor, I think.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend