Thread: Deltas and taking life too seriously

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Deltas and taking life too seriously

It seems that the Delta quadra as a whole kinda takes life a bit too seriously most of the time. Like, they're always so worried about being productive/useful members of society. Even if they're not active about it, they put a bit too much thought into making sure they're conscientious or something.

Is this perception more or less accurate?

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think if I honestly answered that question that I do take things in life too seriously.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

It's okay. I wasn't criticizing anybody btw just an observation I've noticed.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    It's okay. I wasn't criticizing anybody btw just an observation I've noticed.
    By nature of the way you phrased your opening post ("the Delta quadra as a whole kinda takes life a bit too seriously"), what you said was a criticism, regardless of the initial intent.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've always been told I take life too seriously but I think I'm a lot more easygoing these days.

Creepy-Cyclops

It seems that the Delta quadra as a whole kinda takes life a bit too seriously most of the time. Like, they're always so worried about being productive/useful members of society. Even if they're not active about it, they put a bit too much thought into making sure they're conscientious or something.

It just looks that way because you don't see Fe (and we don't value it)

Just different types of fun, but it's what we enjoy as an indiviual, or a quadra in this instance.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I guess the Fe/Fi thing makes sense. I admit, Fi stuff just zones me out/bores me.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess the Fe/Fi thing makes sense. I admit, Fi stuff just zones me out/bores me.
    Sort of like how Beta-ness offends me. Goes both ways...I don't think either are intentionally trying to offend/bore the other. Just different mindsets.

TIM
    EII 6w5
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not necessarily... Sometimes when someone supposedly "takes life too seriously" it can be not focusing on the positive side of things, or just being grumpy all the time. But I would be guilty as charged if taking life too seriously is worrying about being productive and useful, especially if my environment isn't. I tend to joke around and loosen up to people who are serious about these things. It's like a trust thing.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The amount of stereo-typy-ness in this thread is killing my erection.
    "Those who make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities..."

- Voltaire

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I used to take life seriously, then I let God do it for me and was relaxed for quite a while. Now I'm taking afterlife seriously.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't take anything seriously.

- Voltaire

TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    It just looks that way because you don't see Fe (and we don't value it)

Just different types of fun, but it's what we enjoy as an indiviual, or a quadra in this instance.
    Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    Sort of like how Beta-ness offends me. Goes both ways...I don't think either are intentionally trying to offend/bore the other. Just different mindsets.
    Exactly.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't think that I take life too seriously...I'd say I look at life with a relative ease compared to my friends/family/people I know. One thing that sets me apart is that I don't get caught up in everyday problems. Jobs, paychecks, weather, place where you live...all of it can change any minute and I wouldn't be bothered, most likely would even welcome it as it would be a good chance for a change. So I'm not sure how that constitutes into taking life too seriously.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ssmall View Post
    One thing that sets me apart is that I don't get caught up in everyday problems. Jobs, paychecks, weather, place where you live...all of it can change any minute and I wouldn't be bothered, most likely would even welcome it as it would be a good chance for a change.
    I wish I had the ability to not obess about those areas of my life but those are usually the biggest stressors I have.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always think I don't take life seriously enough. I don't have a career plan. I don't know what I'll be doing in five years. I'll go to back to school when I feel like it. I don't know if I'll be married or have kids or even be dating someone by then. I consider those possibilities, but I am never sure what to commit to or if it will make me happy. Mostly I doubt that anything will ever make me happy.

But I'm sure I look overly serious to Fe types.
    IEE

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mimosa Pudica View Post
    You're taking this FAAAR to seriously!

Do you really want me in beta that badly?

- Voltaire

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish I had the ability to not obess about those areas of my life but those are usually the biggest stressors I have.
    I'm not sure if I can give any advice to you...to most people that is actually the source of most problems. Usually the source of my problems are of different kind, to some probably they look silly or to some it might seem as braging rather than stating problems.

A few days ago I met an old lady who flew to Chicago, we met on the plane (from Lithuania to Frankfurt) and just talked and talked for like 4 hours non stop until she had to board the plane. Well one thing that was common for us is that we looked at job as something that can be temporary. She works various jobs for a year or two and then she just takes her time off...for like a year/half a year and just spends/travels until she needs to work again. For me it is a bit different, I work and earn quite a lot and I do not plan on taking a year or half a year off. However my company is having some problems (more or less our managers want more money which might lead to my company to collapse altogether) and for now my plan is to travel for a month in Western Europe and just stay at the country I will like. Now would you actually like to leave everything and go do something like this? For most people I know it sounds good on paper but would not do it themselves, would you? Heck that probably seems so offtopic, I seriously considered should I post that .

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mimosa Pudica View Post
    Do you really feel offended by good Fe?
    In what way?
    I don't claim to know anything about Fe but the general vibe I get from Betas is that they offer their opinion on everything whether you like it or not and i find it very offensive and invading at times. It's like there's no filter between their thoughts and their mouth and it feels like a personal attack whether it was meant to be one or not. I just feel very on-edge around people with strong opinions and strong personalities and that's how I view Beta's. Don't get me wrong, I've had some very enjoyable experiences with them but overall, it's just a feeling of....hmm...uneasiness. It just feels very invasive to me. I didn't mean this to offend you guys, everyone has good and bad qualities...who am i to judge...I'm just offering up my personal view on the matter.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure if I can give any advice to you...to most people that is actually the source of most problems. Usually the source of my problems are of different kind, to some probably they look silly or to some it might seem as braging rather than stating problems.

A few days ago I met an old lady who flew to Chicago, we met on the plane (from Lithuania to Frankfurt) and just talked and talked for like 4 hours non stop until she had to board the plane. Well one thing that was common for us is that we looked at job as something that can be temporary. She works various jobs for a year or two and then she just takes her time off...for like a year/half a year and just spends/travels until she needs to work again. For me it is a bit different, I work and earn quite a lot and I do not plan on taking a year or half a year off. However my company is having some problems (more or less our managers want more money which might lead to my company to collapse altogether) and for now my plan is to travel for a month in Western Europe and just stay at the country I will like. Now would you actually like to leave everything and go do something like this? For most people I know it sounds good on paper but would not do it themselves, would you? Heck that probably seems so offtopic, I seriously considered should I post that .
    Yeah, on paper that idea sounds fantastic but I am a slave to reality and figuring out how every last thing will pay for itself and what not. It's a curse being that responsible, I tell ya

erm, I'm not implying you're being unrealistic or irresponsible...just saying I'm very skeptical about my own abilities in that area.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not Delta, but I take life too seriously sometimes. But I don't seem to care about being a productive/useful member of society, or being conscientious. In this way, I can represent the worst of both worlds.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, on paper that idea sounds fantastic but I am a slave to reality and figuring out how every last thing will pay for itself and what not. It's a curse being that responsible, I tell ya

erm, I'm not implying you're being unrealistic or irresponsible...just saying I'm very skeptical about my own abilities in that area.
    I think that would change a lot if you would find a job/occupation you would really enjoy. I used to be a sort of a slave to reality, but one day I took a leap and never looked back from then. Maybe that day will come to your life too, you never know. Sometimes you just have to take some risks and see how it will roll.

And I AM irresponsible and sometimes I am unrealistic (and i'm not really offended by that either), however if something doesn't work out it takes me little to no time to try something else until I hit the jackpot. Life was good to me, I consider myself very lucky.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Well, is my demonstrative function so I didn't mean that I was strongly against it I just don't like um put so much emphasis on it. I still like it and use it, but I have a very blase attitude about it. When there's too much of it... I kinda want to just simmer it down, put it more in the background. (Which of course also explains how that covers up the polr in SLEs)

And Jessica no worries about your opinion of Betas. But the reason why I do that (invade people so strongly with my opinions), is because it gets draining to me when people talk about realistic problems. Like I can understand them, but I feel by having strong feelings about topics will cheer people up, not invade them. I am naturally more idealistic/magical than practical anyway, and I've been doing this my entire life.

Like I get excited if my parents or family members talk about politics/personal ideals rather than their bills/jobs for a change. (And on the rare occasion I talk about more realistic problems, that also excites them)

I've noticed most people get angry at my like, 'whatever' attitude to physical reality sometimes, and my yearning to just talk/process things all day and build up relationships that way. But in turn what they are doing is also equally useless to me.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Now would you actually like to leave everything and go do something like this?
    I do this all the time. You're freerer than you think! It might take a little/nudge room, but it's great. I just like randomly took a trip to Canada just now actually.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Being in Alpha... I always hear the opposite towars Alphas "You need to take life more seriously." lol.
    As far as the parts of life that I feel need to be taken seriously, I take them almost too seriously most of the time... Serious parts of life to me are: Work, Bills, Having fun. Yes, I said that... I'm very serious about enjoying my life. Probably more serious about enjoying my life than I am worried about paying my bills. And of course, that's lead to a problem or two I had to stress about... but that's a different story...lol.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do this all the time. You're freerer than you think! It might take a little/nudge room, but it's great. I just like randomly took a trip to Canada just now actually.
    I'm taking a random trip to Seattle tomorrow for 4 days... during which it may end up randomly in Vancouver, BC for a night or two... depending on how random myself and my friends decide to be...lol.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

You gotta have a sense of adventure sometimes that's for sure. =D

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fo sure!

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...they're always so worried about being productive/useful members of society...
    Are you sure you aren't talking about Betas here

No really, Deltas imho are to self-centered to be thinking of themselves as parts of this abstract entity called society. They might use such words, but I don't believe they feel it that way.
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Not every critical observation of the human race is a projection ya know! ;D No I wasn't talking about myself.

I obviously was generalizing. Ie 'this is true more often then the time.' Which can be offensive of course if it's not true to you, but if there is a rule (what I was trying to decide on in my brain) then you're just the exception. ;D

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I take life too seriously, but that's only the case because my accomplishments never match the seriousness. It seems too overblown.

The flip side ends up biting me in the ass, too. When I slack off and match how much I care to what I'm achieving, I get accused of being apathetic and what-have-you.
    SLI/ISTp -- Te subtype

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not every critical observation of the human race is a projection ya know! ;D No I wasn't talking about myself.

I obviously was generalizing. Ie 'this is true more often then the time.' Which can be offensive of course if it's not true to you, but if there is a rule (what I was trying to decide on in my brain) then you're just the exception. ;D
    I doubt he is an exception though, the IEE's I know and myself are rather individualistic and rarely care about fitting in the society in the true sense of the word. I guess it can seem like we care about it since there can talk about how one can't find a job/place he likes, how every job is not for him, how one diches work and afterwards feels guilty about it, how one can't fit into the working enviroment or society, how one does not live up to the standards he sets or things he wants to achieve. It's more for show though, just venting in general, there is not ACTUAL trying to fit in, even if there is it usually ends up as a frustrating thing. If I would compare them to most of the population they are quite different and prefer it that way, working from 9 to 17 isn't really that most of them do (I do but my job has certain other perks). My friend for instance didn't go to work today...cos she didn't feel like it and she really isn't bothered that she might get fired, she thinks of leaving work anyway and she was responsible enough to do all the work she was supposed to do the day before.

At the end of the day we (me and IEE's I know) are worried about finding our own path, be it spiritual, lifestyle or work related. Not really about fitting into the society, that's quite secondary (i'm not sure if it's actually something we care at all at the end of the day) and usually comes out as a frustration on how our life is set up and puts certain borders on a person. Talking about not fitting in does not equal trying to fit in.

At least that's my take on it, I'm not sure that the way other Delta people feel about this. Well, maybe you had something different in mind altogether though? Why do you say we take life too seriously, could you provide an example?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not surprised. I find you to be intensely Fe-orientated.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dunno if this is true. ENFp's certainly don't seem to be the type who takes life too seriously. I am generally a pretty serious person but I know betas who take things very seriously also. It seems like ESTj's and INFjs are more likely to take life seriously than ENFp's and ISTps, but i know that's probably a stereotype. I guess it all depends on what you mean by "taking life seriously." I think that worrying about being productive/useful members of society probably has more to do with individual characteristics rather than personality type, but that's just my opinion.

~INFj

TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I doubt he is an exception though, the IEE's I know and myself are rather individualistic and rarely care about fitting in the society in the true sense of the word. I guess it can seem like we care about it since there can talk about how one can't find a job/place he likes, how every job is not for him, how one diches work and afterwards feels guilty about it, how one can't fit into the working enviroment or society, how one does not live up to the standards he sets or things he wants to achieve. It's more for show though, just venting in general, there is not ACTUAL trying to fit in, even if there is it usually ends up as a frustrating thing. If I would compare them to most of the population they are quite different and prefer it that way, working from 9 to 17 isn't really that most of them do (I do but my job has certain other perks). My friend for instance didn't go to work today...cos she didn't feel like it and she really isn't bothered that she might get fired, she thinks of leaving work anyway and she was responsible enough to do all the work she was supposed to do the day before.

At the end of the day we (me and IEE's I know) are worried about finding our own path, be it spiritual, lifestyle or work related. Not really about fitting into the society, that's quite secondary (i'm not sure if it's actually something we care at all at the end of the day) and usually comes out as a frustration on how our life is set up and puts certain borders on a person. Talking about not fitting in does not equal trying to fit in.

At least that's my take on it, I'm not sure that the way other Delta people feel about this. Well, maybe you had something different in mind altogether though? Why do you say we take life too seriously, could you provide an example?
    Very well put Simon! I totally relate...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sirena View Post
    Very well put Simon! I totally relate...
    Me too. But I have to about working 9 to 17! I had to think about that for a minute. In the States we say 9 to 5.

Topaz
    The artifact which is the source of my power will not be kept on the Mountain of Despair beyond the River of Fire guarded by the Dragons of Eternity. It will be in my safe-deposit box. The same applies to the object which is my one weakness.

TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
    Me too. But I have to about working 9 to 17! I had to think about that for a minute. In the States we say 9 to 5.
    LOL Me too! Simon's thrown a few curveballs like that at me before though, so I'm used to it. hehe

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
    I am aware, I am also aware nobody says that, just try to rhime into something "working from nine to seventeen" . I usually start work at 7 so it does not fit me in any sense any way .

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm.....I guess I take life seriously because you only have one chance in most things you do.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eunice View Post
    Hmmm.....I guess I take life seriously because you only have one chance in most things you do.
    Like? Apart from marriage or finishing school.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast