Thread: Fi vs Fe

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Fi vs Fe

Let's start this one too to explore the commonalities, differences and interaction of Fi and Fe. I feel like I'm having trouble using them together successfully.

This is the way I understand it atm...

Fi is basically a sensor or detector of feelings and emotional "vibes" in yourself as well as in others.

Fe is more like a tool which can be used to apply emotional "pressure" to others. In positive sense this means things like encouraging and taking care of others. In negative sense this means manipulating emotions for personal gain.

You need Fi to understand when and how Fe should be applied. You need Fe to apply Fi to your environment. Fi works as a sensor and an ethical controller. Fe works as an effector. Fi without Fe is "useless". Fe without Fi is dangerous.

Am I confusing the roles of Fe and Fi or is this pretty much how it is supposed to work?

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Extremely important topic, perhaps the most important of all. Interpersonal motives have a great deal to do with this.
    Well I am back. How's everyone? Don't have as much time now, but glad to see some of the old gang are still here.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Fi vs Fe

Quote Originally Posted by Herzblut
    Quote Originally Posted by XoX
    Fe is more like a tool which can be used to apply emotional "pressure" to others. (...) In negative sense this means manipulating emotions for personal gain.
    I'd say that's .

Fi is basically a sensor or detector of feelings and emotional "vibes" in yourself as well as in others.
    I'd say that's .

Don't quote me on this, though. I'm not exactly strong in this area.
    That was one of the meanings of this thread. To help me understand which way they are...somehow I can't understand which is which...It makes sense that Fe would be the "sensor"...it also makes sense that Fe would be the "effector" in a way. I read somewhere that ENFjs are good at sensing "vibes" which means your interpretation would be right. Then again I thought Fi is more an "analyzing" function (like Ti) and Fe is something you can use to cause effects (like Te).

Hmm..I'm not sure if any of this makes sense really Some NF should come here and explain this I guess...Thanks for the comment anyways. I hope we get the conversation going.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ti:Logic:Emotions

They both observe and evaluate these things, and take them into consideration when making decisions.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Fi is basically a sensor or detector of feelings and emotional "vibes" in yourself as well as in others.

Fe is more like a tool which can be used to apply emotional "pressure" to others. In positive sense this means things like encouraging and taking care of others. In negative sense this means manipulating emotions for personal gain."

I actually agree with this. What you have defined here deals with the natures of introversion and extraversion. I've made the distinction that Fe relates to the expression of emotion. This produces passion in Fe types (to be used, like you have already said, for whatever purpose) and can create a certain tendency toward dramaticism (whether the issue in question be intellectual or emotional in nature). Fi, on the other hand, tends to the interpretation of emotion, producing the focus on ethics and the morally correct behavior observable in types influenced by this function.
    Lyricist

"Supposing the entity of the poet to be represented by the number 10, it is certain that a chemist, on analyzing it, would find it to be composed of one part interest and nine parts vanity." (Victor Hugo)

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quoted from my Introduction into Socionics at www.socioniko.net :

AS THE FIRST FUNCTION:

Extraverted ethic is also called Emotional Ethic.

This function reflects person's own emotions, his/her emotional, highly personal and passionate reaction to what is going on around. Types with this dominant functions are eloquent, often smiling, artistic, charming (but somewhat “fussy” and “too artistic”), can speak and persuade others, but they perceive situations too emotionally, too personally, and sometimes they “sink” in their own emotions, cannot calm down for long time.

Examples: Georgi Dimitrov, Leon Trotsky, Fidel Castro, Yasser Arafat, Mylene Farmer, Louis de Funes, Annette Bening, Juliette Binoche, Emir Kusturica, George Clooney, Liza Minnelli.

Ethical-intuitive extravert (The Mentor): http://www.socioniko.net/en/1.1.types/et.html

Ethical-sensory extravert (The Bonvivant): http://www.socioniko.net/en/1.1.types/es.html

Introverted ethic is also called Ethic of Relations.

This function is inertial; many emotions are inside such a person, but they do not go outwards, and rather stay “conserved”. Such people are very passionate in evaluating other people, but from outside they seem to be “emotionless”, smiling just as much as etiquette requires. They are good spectators of relations: in a small collective, they very quickly feel who has which relations with whom. They can work with people – as lawyers, pedagogues, etc. However, being so attentive to people's relations, they do not like, even more, they are afraid of “intellectual initiative”, do not like arguing, because it can “break” or just significantly change relations with other people.

Examples: Jeremy Irons, John Travolta, Michelle Pfeiffer, Susan Sarandon, Julianne Moore, Leonardo Di Caprio, Elisabeth II, Leonid Brezhnev, Jacqueline Kennedy, Marilyn Monroe.

Ethical-intuitive introvert (The Humanist): http://www.socioniko.net/en/1.1.types/ri.html

Ethical-sensory introvert (The Guardian): http://www.socioniko.net/en/1.1.types/rf.html

AS THE SECOND FUNCTION:

Secondary introverted ethic (the types Psychologist and Politician, XXX-ethical extraverts)

They may be misperceived for the quasi-identical types (Mentor and Bonvivant with the dominant extraverted ethic), because they are active, ever-smiling, often among people. However, their emotionality is quite different than that of rational extraverted ethic types. Both Psychologist and Politician do not like excessive emotions and try to negotiate rather than to awake excitement.

Secondary extraverted ethic (the types Lyricist and Mediator, XXX-ethical introverts)

They may be misperceived for the quasi-identical types (Humanist and Conservator with the dominant introverted ethic) for their strive for good relations with other people, very mild and comfortable manner of communication. However, there is a difference: both Lyricist and Mediator are emotionally active and even often try to awake emotions in other people. By contrast, Humanist and Conservator rather strive to suppress excessive emotions, to release other people from redundant, unnecessary emotions.
    www.socioniko.net is no longer my site.