Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Can you type this?

  1. #1
    Snomunegot munenori2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kansas
    TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Posts
    7,739
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Can you type this?

    I asked a friend of mine if she could write something down to describe what kind of person she thought I was about a month back. She sent it to me earlier today so I figured I'd post it and see if you guys can get something out of it.

    Most of the time he doesn't speak at all unless directly spoken to and anything he does say is usually only to ask a questions or make jokes. With people he does not know well he often sticks to small talk, as if he doesn’t know what he can say around them without feeling like they‘re sizing him up. He tells me he prefers to watch and listen to someone to get to know them so he can tell how much and what sides of him he can safely share with this or that person. What he does share of himself always sounds like he has given an incredible amount of thought to before saying it and it even can have a very insightful (I call it spiritual, but he thinks I’m being too generous) sound to it. He doesn’t have many friends whom he feels close enough with that he can share most everything with, but when he meets someone like this I think I can fairly say that he loves that person. When it comes to keeping in touch he’s very horrible at it and the times we’ve spent a while apart it’s as if he needs a short while to reconnect, but he says that he just needs time to fall back into the way things were not that his feelings have changed. His worry is that the other person’s have though I try to tell him that why would I be here if they had?

    Overall, he's a very calm, sensitive person and always polite to everyone. Frequently he helps others in a way that seems to me like he's making sacrifices needlessly and hurting himself in the process, which makes me think he needs someone who can watch out for him since he ignores himself a lot of the time. This makes we wonder because we’ve discussed this and he is very much aware, but he tells me that sometimes that is what the world needs more of. He does admit that sometimes it winds up putting him in a position where he feels overused by the people around him. Part of him expects others to see what he is doing and know when they are asking too much. When it comes to taking care of things which are going to have an impact on his own life he can be really lazy. As if he honestly doesn‘t care that much. When he sees it as being important to or affecting his friends or family though he works very hard for them. In fact, these are the times that he looks the happiest, when he can do these things for the people he cares about. He never really asks for anything in return, though he has said that just feeling they appreciate it is often enough to make it worthwhile for him.

    On the downsides, he strikes me as the kind of person who cares too much about what people think about him and a lot of times he withdraws rather than risk making someone think less of him. This makes me sad because there is so much good in him and he tells me he would rather have someone dislike him not knowing hardly a thing about him than to understand who he is and think he wasn’t worthwhile. He can space out pretty easily thinking and sometimes I’ve noticed he will tune out from somebody if he finds them completely boring or hostile where he tells me he literally didn’t hear a word they said. With people he considers friends though it is almost like he hears even the things you thought no one did. Sometimes I get the feeling as if he hears even the things that I’ve left unsaid. He doesn’t tell me or try to talk it out as often as what he does for me shows me that somehow he knows.
    She also mentioned this exchange we had a while back that I'd completely forgotten about that might also be worth taking a look at.

    He was staring intently at a chair for about half a minute. When asked, he said he was thinking about how sturdy the chair was. Turns out he was wondering this because he was considering what he could use for a weapon if something happened. There was nothing going on that would lead him to need to think about that where he was. He said that it's sort of a common theme when his mind wanders to play through scenarios that require him to use force, but that it almost always is about protecting the people around him. The way he described it didn’t make it sound like he was worrying so much as making a sort of back up plan. He mentioned that he’s done this as far back as he can remember and that it’s not something he consciously does. It just pops up without prompting after which he either thinks on it or pushes it away to focus on other things. It was sooo adorable when he told me because his face turns so red when he's embarrassed, but I also knew that he probably had never told anyone about this and it made me feel special that he could open up for me -you don't have to post this part if you don't want to I know how you get, senor koolaid!-.


    Reading over this I was pretty impressed. She doesn't know anything about socionics (though I've mentioned it to her before) and I still think she managed to get some good info in there without a whole bunch of random stuff. Then again, that's probably why I asked her to do it instead of someone else! Anyhow, I'm off to see a movie. It would be interesting to get your opinions on what's being said here. Later!
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    What's your question? Are you asking for your friend's type or yours? Don't tell me you want the actual piece of writing to be typed >_<.

  3. #3
    Park's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Beyond the blue horizon
    TIM
    SLI
    Posts
    13,088
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Introvert, asker, strong Si and Fi... The biggest problem with ISFp would be that I don't see much Fe creative in the description.

    And I am surprised by the extent to which I identify with the written, it took me by surprise.

    I selected the parts which could have been written for me, word for word.

    Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    Most of the time he doesn't speak at all unless directly spoken to and anything he does say is usually only to ask a questions or make jokes. With people he does not know well he often sticks to small talk, as if he doesn’t know what he can say around them without feeling like they‘re sizing him up. He tells me he prefers to watch and listen to someone to get to know them so he can tell how much and what sides of him he can safely share with this or that person. What he does share of himself always sounds like he has given an incredible amount of thought to before saying it and it even can have a very insightful (I call it spiritual, but he thinks I’m being too generous) sound to it. He doesn’t have many friends whom he feels close enough with that he can share most everything with, but when he meets someone like this I think I can fairly say that he loves that person. When it comes to keeping in touch he’s very horrible at it and the times we’ve spent a while apart it’s as if he needs a short while to reconnect, but he says that he just needs time to fall back into the way things were not that his feelings have changed. His worry is that the other person’s have though I try to tell him that why would I be here if they had?

    Part of him expects others to see what he is doing and know when they are asking too much. When it comes to taking care of things which are going to have an impact on his own life he can be really lazy. As if he honestly doesn‘t care that much. When he sees it as being important to or affecting his friends or family though he works very hard for them. In fact, these are the times that he looks the happiest, when he can do these things for the people he cares about. He never really asks for anything in return, though he has said that just feeling they appreciate it is often enough to make it worthwhile for him.

    On the downsides, he strikes me as the kind of person who cares too much about what people think about him and a lot of times he withdraws rather than risk making someone think less of him. This makes me sad because there is so much good in him and he tells me he would rather have someone dislike him not knowing hardly a thing about him than to understand who he is and think he wasn’t worthwhile.
    It was hard to choose what to exclude...
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

  4. #4
    Snomunegot munenori2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kansas
    TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Posts
    7,739
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    I'm assuming he means his type.
    Yeah lol.

    Quote Originally Posted by Winterpark View Post
    Introvert, asker, strong Si and Fi... The biggest problem with ISFp would be that I don't see much Fe creative in the description.

    And I am surprised by the extent to which I identify with the written, it took me by surprise.
    Interesting, particularly the bolded part. Overall I think she did a really excellent job of summing up how I act around other people, but yeah, there really doesn't seem to be much Fe there now that you mention it. I guess that's always something I explained to myself as doing in a very subtle way, like I'm aware of the underlying atmosphere but unwilling to participate in it too much actively (except under extreme circumstances or altered states of mind) and then most typically through body language rather than words. That is a very good point to bring up though, because I've always thought if I was SEI I'd be a pretty repressed or incredibly self-contained one.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

  5. #5
    Jarno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    TIM
    ILI-Te
    Posts
    5,375
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Difficult... not enough useful type related information I guess.

    Introvert for sure, that's about it.

  6. #6
    force my hand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,334
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    My gut says SLI, though I'm not sure I could argue it.

    When it comes to keeping in touch he’s very horrible at it and the times we’ve spent a while apart it’s as if he needs a short while to reconnect, but he says that he just needs time to fall back into the way things were not that his feelings have changed. His worry is that the other person’s have though I try to tell him that why would I be here if they had?
    I though this was very interesting. I feel this way, and have had to offer this excuse. But the finer point is that my feelings did change, but with the knowledge that after a period of readjustment they will readily come back as to what they were before. I've never experienced any success in making this distinction public.
    SLI/ISTp -- Te subtype

  7. #7
    JuJu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Springfield, Massachusetts, USA
    TIM
    EIE
    Posts
    2,704
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by force my hand View Post
    I though this was very interesting. I feel this way, and have had to offer this excuse. But the finer point is that my feelings did change, but with the knowledge that after a period of readjustment they will readily come back as to what they were before. I've never experienced any success in making this distinction public.
    hey force, I'm wondering: how did your feelings change..? Were you wary of re-engaging the person..? (If so, is this wariness par for the course?) If you're willing to get into it, it would give interesting insight into SLIs.

  8. #8
    Snomunegot munenori2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kansas
    TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Posts
    7,739
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by force my hand View Post
    My gut says SLI, though I'm not sure I could argue it.



    I though this was very interesting. I feel this way, and have had to offer this excuse. But the finer point is that my feelings did change, but with the knowledge that after a period of readjustment they will readily come back as to what they were before. I've never experienced any success in making this distinction public.
    Wow, that's exactly how it works for me too. It seems easier to explain it this way to people though, doesn't seem to work out when I try.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

  9. #9
    force my hand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,334
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JuJu View Post
    hey force, I'm wondering: how did your feelings change..? Were you wary of re-engaging the person..? (If so, is this wariness par for the course?) If you're willing to get into it, it would give interesting insight into SLIs.
    In the most recent case it was being separated from my girlfriend over the summer due to our jobs being way far away from each other. We exchanged emails several times a week and often chatted on MSN, but because there wasn't the physical interaction, my feelings waned.

    Could I have ever explained to her how my feelings changing wasn't a problem at all? I could have tried but it was much easier to lie and whitewash the issue. And now since we're back together and seeing each other every day, those feelings have returned as I knew they would.
    SLI/ISTp -- Te subtype

  10. #10
    Park's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Beyond the blue horizon
    TIM
    SLI
    Posts
    13,088
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    Interesting, particularly the bolded part. Overall I think she did a really excellent job of summing up how I act around other people, but yeah, there really doesn't seem to be much Fe there now that you mention it. I guess that's always something I explained to myself as doing in a very subtle way, like I'm aware of the underlying atmosphere but unwilling to participate in it too much actively (except under extreme circumstances or altered states of mind) and then most typically through body language rather than words. That is a very good point to bring up though, because I've always thought if I was SEI I'd be a pretty repressed or incredibly self-contained one.
    I relate to that perfectly.

    Have you ever read this description, munee?
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

  11. #11
    Topaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,340
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Winterpark View Post
    I relate to that perfectly.

    Have you ever read this description, munee?
    The only problem I have with this description is that it was written by someone who now identifies as ISTJ. However, if the description holds true from the standpoint of genuine ISTPs then there you have it.

    Topaz
    The artifact which is the source of my power will not be kept on the Mountain of Despair beyond the River of Fire guarded by the Dragons of Eternity. It will be in my safe-deposit box. The same applies to the object which is my one weakness.

  12. #12
    Park's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Beyond the blue horizon
    TIM
    SLI
    Posts
    13,088
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
    The only problem I have with this description is that it was written by someone who now identifies as ISTJ.
    I don't know where you got that from but I believe you're wrong. The fact that certain few people see him as that type doesn't mean the he identifies with it. I certainly don't. And I identify very strongly with his ISTp description.

    Quote Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
    However, if the description holds true from the standpoint of genuine ISTPs then there you have it.
    I think it does.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

  13. #13
    Lobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    TIM
    EII 6w5
    Posts
    2,080
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I definitely relate with you munenori based on that article. Though I have yet to look at things as if they were weapons, but I could see myself think along those lines .

    ...he would rather have someone dislike him not knowing hardly a thing about him than to understand who he is and think he wasn’t worthwhile.
    This is deep!! and something I haven't given much thought about in terms of myself.

    Quote Originally Posted by Winterpark View Post
    And I am surprised by the extent to which I identify with the written, it took me by surprise.

    I selected the parts which could have been written for me, word for word.

    It was hard to choose what to exclude...
    This is from the Smilingeyes 101.2 article:

    What's most important there is the idea of complementary/resonatory traits. (Accepting the possibility that the link might at some point die here's a quick repeat of the definitions: a resonating trait is something that causes a feeling of identity, a complementary trait is something that is something that another person is lacking and needing.) Now the importance of this idea is rather huge. It alludes to the possibility of seeing advantageous vs. disadvantageous traits in people and the possibility of categorizing people according to this principle. This is the heart of all type categories. It is also the reason why the system must be based on dichotomies. The idea of digitalization of information, of reality is inbuilt in socionics. This is the reason why thinking vs feeling or logic vs. ethical are actually rather bad ways to name properties whereas 'well-defined' vs. 'not well-defined' and 'socially open' vs. 'socially closed' are better. It's not clear that everything can be categorized on the axis of logic vs. ethics because it's not clear that these are mutually exclusive, but it's clear that everything can be categorized on the axis of 'well-defined' vs. 'not well-defined'. There is no actual limit to how many complementary or resonatory characteristics could be tracked to form a more elaborate socionical pattern. The simple addition of 'smoking' vs. 'not-smoking' would produce a new simple yet meaningful dimension. The dimensions currently in use are important because they have proven to be applicable in most situations.

    Now as for dualism vs. activity partnerships, there is something specific I feel a need to point out. Activity partners are more resonant while dual partners are more complementary. The essence of resonance is to create empathy and a feeling of being on the same side in an issue. The essence of complementary traits is concrete help. Thus dual partnerships, being the most complementary relationships also lack significantly in resonance, the feeling of partnership, they foster dependency and thus feelings of weakness, fear. This can be overcome through the slow building of trust, the existence of numerous other, non-socionical resonating traits and so on, but the 'power' that a dual holds remains disquieting.

    On the other hand resonance can create a certain positive atmosphere even between the most fierce competitors who are likely to cause each other nothing but trouble. It is useful to be aware of these trends.
    The feeling of partnership that he describes is something I have experienced. There's also a sense of "relating" which to me is a big factor in the feeling of partnership. What I'm trying to get at is that it's not too surprising that you identify with the things mentioned in munenori's article.

  14. #14
    Hot Message FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Freiburg im Breisgau
    TIM
    ENTj
    Posts
    15,626
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I still think that your first typing as INFj made the most sense, definitely.

    An INFj enneagram 9 sx/sp perhaps.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

  15. #15
    Snomunegot munenori2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kansas
    TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Posts
    7,739
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Winterpark View Post
    I relate to that perfectly.

    Have you ever read this description, munee?
    No I hadn't, but I connected a lot to it actually. I'm not saying I'm SLI or anything, but there were only a handful of sentences I would have tossed out (some of the actual IM element descriptions did seem more off though).
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

  16. #16
    Park's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Beyond the blue horizon
    TIM
    SLI
    Posts
    13,088
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    (some of the actual IM element descriptions did seem more off though).
    I forgot to mention not to pay any attention to them, those were written (added) by someone else (rmcnew I think).

    No I hadn't, but I connected a lot to it actually. I'm not saying I'm SLI or anything, but there were only a handful of sentences I would have tossed out
    I think perhaps you should consider Si subtype SLI for yourself.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    Yeah lol.
    Forgive my stupidity.

    Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    Most of the time he doesn't speak at all unless directly spoken to and anything he does say is usually only to ask a questions or make jokes. With people he does not know well he often sticks to small talk, as if he doesn’t know what he can say around them without feeling like they‘re sizing him up. He tells me he prefers to watch and listen to someone to get to know them so he can tell how much and what sides of him he can safely share with this or that person
    Do you only speak when spoken to because you don't know if your opinion is wanted or not (or you think it's "distasteful" when others blurt out their opinion when it wasn't asked for)? Do you like small talk, or would you rather not deal with those people at all unless there is an actual need to communicate with them? Do you fear that showing your true self will offend some people/ruin the atmosphere?

    Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    What he does share of himself always sounds like he has given an incredible amount of thought to before saying it and it even can have a very insightful (I call it spiritual, but he thinks I’m being too generous) sound to it. He doesn’t have many friends whom he feels close enough with that he can share most everything with, but when he meets someone like this I think I can fairly say that he loves that person. When it comes to keeping in touch he’s very horrible at it and the times we’ve spent a while apart it’s as if he needs a short while to reconnect, but he says that he just needs time to fall back into the way things were not that his feelings have changed. His worry is that the other person’s have though I try to tell him that why would I be here if they had?
    Do you tend to take most things people say seriously, without taking note of the context or tone in which they are said? Is that why you give serious answers? Do you frequently ponder over your habits, thoughts, gifts, and faults, and connect them to your own personal theories, interests, etc.? Do you sometimes think you are being foolish by giving them so much thought, or that maybe you're just full of it? Do you not share your musings with other people because you wonder if they'll think you're being foolish, too? Do you find phone conversations and letters awkward? Do you have fond and deep feelings for certain people, and wonder if you're being oversentimental, or if your feelings are reciprocated?

    Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    Overall, he's a very calm, sensitive person and always polite to everyone. Frequently he helps others in a way that seems to me like he's making sacrifices needlessly and hurting himself in the process, which makes me think he needs someone who can watch out for him since he ignores himself a lot of the time. This makes we wonder because we’ve discussed this and he is very much aware, but he tells me that sometimes that is what the world needs more of. He does admit that sometimes it winds up putting him in a position where he feels overused by the people around him. Part of him expects others to see what he is doing and know when they are asking too much. When it comes to taking care of things which are going to have an impact on his own life he can be really lazy. As if he honestly doesn‘t care that much. When he sees it as being important to or affecting his friends or family though he works very hard for them. In fact, these are the times that he looks the happiest, when he can do these things for the people he cares about. He never really asks for anything in return, though he has said that just feeling they appreciate it is often enough to make it worthwhile for him.
    Were you always polite to everyone? Do you yourself think that you're calm and sensitive? Do you believe that help should be a voluntary and natural (as in you automatically want to help) act, not an obligation? Do you often take pity on people, and think about how you could help them if you were able? When people ask for your help, do you assume they really need it, or know they don't but help anyway? Would you say you are gullible? Do you put faith in your luck and abilities, and trust that everything will be fine? Do you frequently find yourself procrastinating? Do you prefer to keep your negligences and misdeeds contained in your own sphere of cause and effect (as in you don't want to hurt other people, but you don't care much if you hurt yourself, because it'll have less impact on the bigger picture). Do you find yourself bound by honor to do your best for your family/friends? Do you not ask for things in return because you think that'll cancel out the giving part?

    Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    He can space out pretty easily thinking and sometimes I’ve noticed he will tune out from somebody if he finds them completely boring or hostile where he tells me he literally didn’t hear a word they said. With people he considers friends though it is almost like he hears even the things you thought no one did. Sometimes I get the feeling as if he hears even the things that I’ve left unsaid. He doesn’t tell me or try to talk it out as often as what he does for me shows me that somehow he knows.
    Once you hear somebody go "BLAH BLAH BLAH" do you tend to stamp that person as "utterly boring," and not give much effort to listen to anything they say from then on? Do you have a talent for getting the "sense/feel" of something (or someone) merely by observing it(or him/her)? Are you good with symbols and metaphors? Or just good at reading between the lines? Are you good at remembering details or feelings, or at least those that matter to you? Do you sometimes find that you've expressed some hidden truth, although you've never consciously thought about it?

    Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    He was staring intently at a chair for about half a minute. When asked, he said he was thinking about how sturdy the chair was. Turns out he was wondering this because he was considering what he could use for a weapon if something happened. There was nothing going on that would lead him to need to think about that where he was. He said that it's sort of a common theme when his mind wanders to play through scenarios that require him to use force, but that it almost always is about protecting the people around him. The way he described it didn’t make it sound like he was worrying so much as making a sort of back up plan. He mentioned that he’s done this as far back as he can remember and that it’s not something he consciously does. It just pops up without prompting after which he either thinks on it or pushes it away to focus on other things.
    Once I passed by a potted cactus, and the first thing that came into my mind was that I could throw it at an intruder if he/she managed to bust through my door. I guess other people do this too... dammit.

    I know the profusion of questions is annoying. But I'm just wondering if I relate to what was written for the same reasons that you do.

    I think ISTp. Or INTp, because I could relate (or maybe I don't, and the whole diagnosis is a pack of lies ).
    Last edited by MockTurtle; 10-12-2008 at 06:23 AM.

  18. #18
    Snomunegot munenori2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kansas
    TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Posts
    7,739
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MockTurtle View Post
    Forgive my stupidity. lol, no worries, man.

    Do you only speak when spoken to because you don't know if your opinion is wanted or not (or you think it's "distasteful" when others blurt out their opinion when it wasn't asked for)? Do you like small talk, or would you rather not deal with those people at all unless there is an actual need to communicate with them? Do you fear that showing your true self will offend some people/ruin the atmosphere?
    I would say when it comes to opinions about what I think of something that's subjective that I'm usually pretty noncomittal. For example, "what do you like about this art piece?" I'm not a big fan of questions like this because that feeling of what I'm experiencing is something I don't really think is capturable or conveyable to other people unless we know each other very well, someone who is good at understanding what I'm trying to say rather than what I am saying and is willing to make that effort. A stranger would probably just get a simple response about whether I like it or not. There's too much room for misunderstanding generally, so I say less if I don't think I'll be able to get my point across.

    I make small talk poorly. Carrying on a conversation with someone I don't know is an exercise in futility for the most part. I prefer it when we can discuss things on a deeper level than stuff like how the weather has been (I cringe internally at those kind of topics). When that isn't possible, I'd rather not say anything that isn't directly necessary or pertinent to what I'm doing with others. And I would say I fear putting everything out there in public.

    Times when I've done this tend to make me feel very vulnerable and unsure how to get out of the situation short of flat out leaving. It's a sickening feeling when you open up and in a moment of complete honesty, suddenly you can tell that everything's changed and you're not entirely sure how you got there. Well, I mean, you know why, it's because you said the first thing that came to your mind and it was wrong somehow and it coalesces into that deeper fear that you really just don't know at all how people are going to take what you say so you're better off not saying anything until you're around people you trust.

    Do you tend to take most things people say seriously, without taking note of the context or tone in which they are said? Is that why you give serious answers? Do you frequently ponder over your habits, thoughts, gifts, and faults, and connect them to your own personal theories, interests, etc.? Do you sometimes think you are being foolish by giving them so much thought, or that maybe you're just full of it? Do you not share your musings with other people because you wonder if they'll think you're being foolish, too? Do you find phone conversations and letters awkward?
    Generally I think I do fairly well at this. There are times when I'm not certain, particularly if someone is acting act me. In these situations I almost always treat it seriously. If they're joking then I can laugh and tell them I'm pretty dense sometimes, but if they are serious and I take what they say lightly, well, by default if I have any doubt at all I'll not do this. I'm very sensitive about spilling myself out and having someone laugh at something I haven't shared with anyone, so I would never put another person in that spot unless it was completely unavoidable. Even then, I'd feel like the shittiest person on earth. Once it's clear that somebody's just joking around I lighten up.

    I'm not entirely sure what you mean by the question on gifts, etc, but I do reflect on these things pretty constantly and, yes, I do look at it as foolish precisely because of how fruitless it usually is. When I watch other people it seems to me like they either don't think about this as much as I do or they're just somehow much better at coming up with answers of why they think and behave how they do. Talking about this with others doesn't typically end up any better as I've gotten more than one blank stare so usually I just try to be conscious of when I'm overthinking, take a deep breath, and stop worrying.

    As for phones, for the most part I hate them. It's handy for practical reasons, but I'm not a leisure talker at all. There are possibly only three people that I know of that I can talk with for any length of time beyond asking a question, making plans, or whatever the call was about in the first place. Letters are another story. I can't write them without feeling like there's a purpose in writing them, but when I do I also tend to be a lot more open and clear about what I'm thinking. That feels safer to me because I can put down exactly what I meant without being there to see the outcome.

    Do you have fond and deep feelings for certain people, and wonder if you're being oversentimental, or if your feelings are reciprocated?
    This is something I'm deeply prone to, even people who I really don't know too well, so long as they have that special something. I respond very well to any interest directed towards me because I'm always pretty much pleasantly surprised that someone might see that 'something' in me. There's a big danger in that I tend to misread others sometimes and determining whether or not how I feel is reciprocated can be hard for me to figure out unless someone is very direct and confident about how they feel. I don't need it hammered in my face constantly, but just feeling needed and appreciated for being myself and doing what I do is more important to me than words.

    I'll get to the rest of the questions later. Thanks for them btw. You really went out of your way lol.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

  19. #19
    Park's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Beyond the blue horizon
    TIM
    SLI
    Posts
    13,088
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    You're one hell of an introvert, mune. But so am I.

    Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    I make small talk poorly. Carrying on a conversation with someone I don't know is an exercise in futility for the most part. I prefer it when we can discuss things on a deeper level than stuff like how the weather has been (I cringe internally at those kind of topics). When that isn't possible, I'd rather not say anything that isn't directly necessary or pertinent to what I'm doing with others. And I would say I fear putting everything out there in public.
    I have always wondered if this fear is somehow socionically explainable or if it's just general introversion. My much less introverted parents have interpreted it as some sort of unnecessary paranoia and reservation and some people I know don't get it at all.

    Times when I've done this tend to make me feel very vulnerable and unsure how to get out of the situation short of flat out leaving. It's a sickening feeling when you open up and in a moment of complete honesty, suddenly you can tell that everything's changed and you're not entirely sure how you got there. Well, I mean, you know why, it's because you said the first thing that came to your mind and it was wrong somehow and it coalesces into that deeper fear that you really just don't know at all how people are going to take what you say so you're better off not saying anything until you're around people you trust.
    Happens to me all the time.

    There's a big danger in that I tend to misread others sometimes and determining whether or not how I feel is reciprocated can be hard for me to figure out unless someone is very direct and confident about how they feel. I don't need it hammered in my face constantly, but just feeling needed and appreciated for being myself and doing what I do is more important to me than words.
    Yup, same with me.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

  20. #20

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    104
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The description sounds like it could be INFj.

  21. #21

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,687
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I really identify with most of your answers... but that's not much help because I wouldn't bet too much on my own type as being EII over SLI

  22. #22
    strrrng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    TIM
    Ni-IEI 4w3 sx/so
    Posts
    8,781
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The only thing the writing really conveyed is him being a 9, which is why winterpark identified with it so much.

    And the chair thing was funny.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

  23. #23
    Park's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Beyond the blue horizon
    TIM
    SLI
    Posts
    13,088
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by strrrng View Post
    The only thing the writing really conveyed is him being a 9, which is why winterpark identified with it so much.
    Suck Allie's boob. I am not a 9.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •