Thread: Perceiving and Time: Connections

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Default Perceiving and Time: Connections

Using Rmcnew's theory on how the perceiving functions work I have thought of my own theory on how they can correlate to how someone with a certain perceiving type may live involving time as an issue.

Introverted Intuition :

Anyone with this as a function will live completely for the future. Their actions are always done in advance to prepare for something that could or usually will happen. They often think about the future and have ideal goals set up for themselves. *They also worry about the past very frequently and use it to aid them for the future, though it could cause harm if they repeat the same mistakes.*

Extraverted Sensing :

Anyone with this function lives completely for the present. Their actions are always done in the moment and they will only think of the present and may think of the consequences of their actions, but don't care. They live on a day by day basis and it makes their lives rather productive as a result. *The past does not matter for this person and may even ignore people they knew in the past as if they never knew them for this reason*

Extraverted Intuition :

This function is mixed and have aspects that are for the future and the present. This person will dream of the future and have ideal goals to reach that may or may not be fullfilled. They act in the moment and are aware of the consequences and think about it, though their impulsiveness may let them give in. *This person will worry about past mistakes and may or may not learn from them. The problem is if that the person does not learn from his/her mistakes, it will cause significant trauma and depression. They may also give themselves a fresh start if too many problems were experienced in the start and will have hope that things will get better from now in the future.*

Introverted Sensing :

They act for the future, but think of the present. If that makes any sense, they will do things in advance that will help them in the future because they know what is important for them in the long run. However, they don't have ideal goals and will often only think about the issues in the present. *These people often think about what they did in the past, but in a different manner. Instead of worrying about it or learning from it, they use it as memory to cycle through that could yield positive or negative results.

Introverted perceivers know time well and use it to their advantage when dealing with the past, present and future.

Extraverted perceivers often don't care about time and may make decisions that will hurt them in the long run.

Sensors think of the present and deal with issues only when they show up instead of trying to solve them beforehand. They act well to present problems though.

Intuitors imagine the future, worry about the past and like to solve problems before they start and have ideal goals for themselves.

I think I have made some mistakes here and there, but rather than dismissing this, I would like people to elaborate on my connections further. Basically, I am dismissing the fact that intuitive people completely live for the future and sensing people completely live for the present because I feel it is more complicated than that. Living completely for the future or present involves acting and thinking of either the present or future. Ex. If you only act for the future, you are planning for it, not living it.

Of course an extraverted sensor might live for the future/worry about the past one time or another and an introverted intuitor might live for the present occasionally due to the fact that the other weaker perceiving functions might come into action at random occasions.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll agre to pretty much all of this. The Ne description sounds pretty dead-on, but I guess it should, coming from an NeFi.

I think Sensors, moreso the extroverts, tend to live for the day, making them very productive on the whole. Their goals tend to be a result of how their interests combine with their acheivments, not heeding any sort of self-formed "goals" for long-term decision making. Introverted sensors live for the day, but, over time, they develop a sense of where they want to focus these energies.

Extroverted intuitors tend to have long term plans, but are apt to give in to impulses that tempt them to live in the "here and now;" in addition, their "plans" (if they can be called that) are constantly changing, resulting in varying degrees of commitment to just about anything. Introverted intuitors have focused long term ideals, and rarely deviate from whatever it may be that is most likely to take them there.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gilligan87
    I'll agre to pretty much all of this. The Ne description sounds pretty dead-on, but I guess it should, coming from an NeFi.

I think Sensors, moreso the extroverts, tend to live for the day, making them very productive on the whole. Their goals tend to be a result of how their interests combine with their acheivments, not heeding any sort of self-formed "goals" for long-term decision making. Introverted sensors live for the day, but, over time, they develop a sense of where they want to focus these energies.

Extroverted intuitors tend to have long term plans, but are apt to give in to impulses that tempt them to live in the "here and now;" in addition, their "plans" (if they can be called that) are constantly changing, resulting in varying degrees of commitment to just about anything. Introverted intuitors have focused long term ideals, and rarely deviate from whatever it may be that is most likely to take them there.
    Thanks, I also agree with your perspective especially the one. I have so many idealistic goals for myself, but then something happens and I change my mind. My sometimes messes up the goals set up.

Introverted sensors from what I've seen get things done in advance because of their sense of time, which is somehow connected to the future. Since, they are doing a project a month before. However, it could also be a present action since they want to get things over with. So, it can really be a combination or one of the two reasons stated.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aww..see? Who says ENTps and ENFps can't work together.

*...tentative hug.......?*
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, I also agree with your perspective especially the one. I have so many idealistic goals for myself, but then something happens and I change my mind. My sometimes messes up the goals set up.

Introverted sensors from what I've seen get things done in advance because of their sense of time, which is somehow connected to the future. Since, they are doing a project a month before. However, it could also be a present action since they want to get things over with. So, it can really be a combination or one of the two reasons stated.
    I'd say that's judgement, not Si. Si dominant types can be pretty lazy about finishing things.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky

I'd say that's judgement, not Si. Si dominant types can be pretty lazy about finishing things.
    Well, I think anyone who is a perceiver is lazy about finishing things. Though in MBTI introverted sensors tend to be judgers, so this is where things get complicated. My brother who I think is an ISTP likes to research things or plan for them when he's interested in it like getting a car. So, I think Si dominant types plan, but in a different way than judgers and they have to be interested in what they plan for the future. This is all speculation of course.

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Creepy-

Don't forget about the past, Young_and_Confused.

Creepy-pokeball

Quote Originally Posted by ishysquishy
    Ni seeks to find the pin point occurence in the past as a marker for prediciton much like where, when, why and how a stone hit the water for the ripples it made in the future and which ripple people/objects are riding now.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ishysquishy
    Heh, I knew I forgot something.

I'll add that in, I do often worry about the past when I make a ridiculous mistake. Whether I learn from them or not is beyond me, but that's the positive aspect about thinking of the past, if you overdo the worrying it will eventually bring you down.

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you reflect about the past a lot?
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Past error check has to do with . I find myself contemplating the past alot, its like information that needs to be digested that I couldnt digest in the present moment.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky
    Do you reflect about the past a lot?
    Well, for me it's usually if I did a stupid mistake with someone from the opposite sex or in school. Like if I talked to her for a while and then I lost her number or dissappeared, I will get nervous and worry about it and wonder whether we could of had a good relationship a month later or so. Also, if I made the mistake of investing my money on something that I couldn't push myself to do, I will also feel that I was insignificant for being unable to reach my goal. The weird things is I always worry about something after it happened whether it be days later or months later, not really when its happening, I'm usually oblivious to my mistakes then.

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5