Thread: To You (ENTps and more)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow To You (ENTps and more)

Hi!

I'm getting a lot of heat about not finishing things that I start, this has resulted in a anxious feeling when it comes to starting new projects. It's not that I get support for what I begin , I don't really need it but I get the opposite of support.

It is highly claustrophobic for me because it's in the domestic realm.

So I want you to identify, sympathize and tell if you have similar stories and perhaps how it all ended, how you would have acted differently, what's the best strategy is to go?

Thank you!
    I will not aim for the head.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uh, well. I generally don't get hounded for not finishing what I start, mostly because I have no one to hound me. So...I can't really sympathize there.

But I know how frustrating it can be to try and force yourself to finish something when you're ready to move on to the next thing. Additionally, it must be worse when you have someone hounding you to do it.
    ILE
    7w8 so/sp

Very busy with work. Only kind of around.

TIM
    Ni-IEI 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The best strategy is to follow through. And if you're truly perplexed as to why you "can't," then reflect on it, and try to improve yourself. If you're still completely stuck, well whatever; have fun failing.

Sorry, but I don't really value external support/guidance in the name of self-sufficiency.

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm, most people don't take the projects I begin seriously enough to care if I finish them. I force myself to follow through on a lot of things, its rough but they need to be done.

I struggle to follow through on things I initiate with others, particularly commitments to future events. I have one person in particular who I always plan on doing something with, and then forget my plans when the day comes (I don't really enjoy hanging out with him that much to begin with, although he is a nice person). I typically want to make up a plan for the day when I wake up, and prior commitments are things I tend to not want to do when the day comes, or even forget entirely.

Right now I have a massive project I had designed for a family member, and was considering doing some of the work on myself, that I've lost all interest in and feel physically sick when I think about working on it again. She has been hounding me to complete it, and I don't think she understands that since I now have a completely different set of things I'm working on that it's simply not something I'm going to pick up again. I also told her not to invest any money in it at the beginning, and then she went and bought a bunch of things which I specifically told her to wait on. Ni dominance can be a pain to work with.

I think the idea is to have people around (SEIs are good at this I'm sure) who can filter out your bad ideas, select the ones that actually are good, and kindly remind you of how awesome they would be and maybe even help jump start the follow through.
    ILE - Ti.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tend to start projects that take years to finish, so, people generally forget.

Maybe you should just not tell people about your projects.
    "Those who make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities..."

- Voltaire

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ephemeros View Post
    yeah like:
    - "hear how genial this track is, like the the instrumentation sounds from far out with an echo of distance... intangible and unreal... and the lead, it sounds so close... so close so sad, you can feel that closer than ever... and you can't believe it's so real and clean... you know?
    - "yeah, just turn the music down a bit, it's eleven PM."
    - "ok, but did you get what i meant?"
    - "yes... we don't have bread..."
    grrrr!
    LOL
    ILE - Ti.

TIM
    Ne-ENTp 7w8 sx/so
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finishing is about motivation. Motivation is hard to find. If you figure it out, let me know.

JRiddy
    —————King of Socionics—————

Ne-ENTp 7w8 sx/so

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never going to be an easy task for ILE ... by defininition.

So best to use pareto (80/20 rule) and focus where most of the damage is being done .... in my view this is day to day commitments made to others esp at work. For an ILE with boundless enthusiusm its easy to make promises and take on obligation. Later its even easier (at subconcious level) to rationalize away those commitments.... Unfortunately for ILE others more often than not will condemn this pattern of behaviour.

Solution for me has been to keep a simple list with 3 columns. Every time i take on an obligation i fill the first column with the initials of the person to whom the obligation is made then the second column is a brief description of the obligation itself. The third is filled with the date when task is completed.

Sounds kinda bureaucratic for an ILE but its simple really and has had an amazing impact on the way i think about things. Makes me focus and think hard before i take on any kind of commitment. But when i do its now almost certain to be carried out ... its amazing how good clearing these sort of backlogs can be for your health and peace of mind.
    ILE

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    Never going to be an easy task for ILE ... by defininition.

So best to use pareto (80/20 rule) and focus where most of the damage is being done .... in my view this is day to day commitments made to others esp at work. For an ILE with boundless enthusiusm its easy to make promises and take on obligation. Later its even easier (at subconcious level) to rationalize away those commitments.... Unfortunately for ILE others more often than not will condemn this pattern of behaviour.

Solution for me has been to keep a simple list with 3 columns. Every time i take on an obligation i fill the first column with the initials of the person to whom the obligation is made then the second column is a brief description of the obligation itself. The third is filled with the date when task is completed.

Sounds kinda bureaucratic for an ILE but its simple really and has had an amazing impact on the way i think about things. Makes me focus and think hard before i take on any kind of commitment. But when i do its now almost certain to be carried out ... its amazing how good clearing these sort of backlogs can be for your health and peace of mind.
    That list would be just another commitment I make that I let fall to the way side.

Mostly I just play with deadlines. If I have a deadline, it will get done. Granted, it won't get done until the last possible time in which I could conceivably get it done, but it WILL get done. And it will be fabulous.
    ILE
    7w8 so/sp

Very busy with work. Only kind of around.