Thread: INTjs and stress - how to destress?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default INTjs and stress - how to destress?

how do you destress?

i am under extreme stress right now and find myself indulging in the mindless sensate, even though i know that time is crucial and every minute should not be wasted...like what i'm doing now. it is not a matter of setting priorities. it is a matter of time.

Creepy-Diana

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

stress... definitely a factor in my life. The way I destress is to go swimming, which is very relaxing.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It depends..... it depends on what kind of stress. Sometimes just making sure you get a good nights sleep is great; it is the best thing for stress.

But sometimesyou can't fall asleep, and this is a whole new ballgame

I'm curious as to why you, as an INTj, feel stressed, and what about.

I imagine a lot of INTjs work out/exercise in regards to stress. Personally, though, I.... seldom think about stress, so I don't really know what to say. being someone in my age bracket, I'd say sexual stress/tension is a big factor, when stress related things are mentioned
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Creepy-ENTp M

Default INTj and Stress

From what I understand about "the types" and what I see my INTj do to destress, it usually involves extensive alone time and some mundane but occupying kind of activity, which I assume let's her stop, or distracts her from, mentally grinding the same issues/thoughts over and over that have her stressed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I get stressed, I usually end up endlessly replaying what I'm stressed about and all of the outcomes in my mind. The only way I can keep my mind off of that stress is learning about something new, or endlessly keeping my mind occupied with a puzzle or some task to do. Like entp said, Extensive alone time, extensive internal thought and some task is the only way I can destress.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zeia
    When I get stressed, I usually end up endlessly replaying what I'm stressed about and all of the outcomes in my mind. The only way I can keep my mind off of that stress is learning about something new, or endlessly keeping my mind occupied with a puzzle or some task to do. Like entp said, Extensive alone time, extensive internal thought and some task is the only way I can destress.

Yeah; distraction.

I agree with that.... distractions, and the ability to know when and how, etc.... those are valuable things to know and be able to use.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: INTj and Stress

Quote Originally Posted by ENTp M
    From what I understand about "the types" and what I see my INTj do to destress, it usually involves extensive alone time and some mundane but occupying kind of activity, which I assume let's her stop, or distracts her from, mentally grinding the same issues/thoughts over and over that have her stressed.

that's what i do. and it's compulsive. it ties with what zeia said. i start to obsess when i'm really stressed, get fixated on the stress. and i guess by doing things like surfing the net, watching tv, doing puzzles, playing straightforward games of the 'diablo' genre - it forces my brain to stop looping around and around the problem. of course this isn't a healthy way of destressing - since it will tire out my brain when it's already exhausted... it's part distraction and part escapism.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: INTj and Stress

Quote Originally Posted by Kirana
    Quote Originally Posted by ENTp M

that's what i do. and it's compulsive. it ties with what zeia said. i start to obsess when i'm really stressed, get fixated on the stress. and i guess by doing things like surfing the net, watching tv, doing puzzles, playing straightforward games of the 'diablo' genre - it forces my brain to stop looping around and around the problem. of course this isn't a healthy way of destressing - since it will tire out my brain when it's already exhausted... it's part distraction and part escapism.
    Hear! Hear! to everything that has been said after (and including) the post by ENTp M.
    The reason why you "waste time" is because your brain is overheated so it's shutting down. If you don't give your brain the chance to escape like that, it will take ages for it to heal later. (days of stress ->weeks of healing).
    PS! in my experience, sleeping really is VERY important. Exercises, on the other hand, don't help you avoid stress mentally.(might help avoid tense muscles).
    EIE, ENFj, intuitive subtype.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Cool ILI hubbys are better than LSIs any time!

Old blog: http://firsttimeinusa.blogspot.com/
    New blog: http://having-a-kid.blogspot.com/

Creepy-

smoke up and watch tv
    call up friendsi f you have em and shoot the shit.
    think about how smart you are in that one particular area. Every INTj has one area where he rules.
    then you are the shit!
    ....not too hard people!

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yep. sleep is good. if i'm food-deprived and sleep-deprived, i'd sleep first and then find some food. if you can't sleep, exhaust your brain until it has to sleep. hence the compulsive crossword and sudoku and games.

if i'm already heavily stressed, exercise makes me more tense and annoyed. i hate exercise the most when i am stressed. on the other hand, if i'm only mildly stressed, or if i'm not yet stressed, having exercise seems to reduce the likelihood of burning out.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    smoke up and watch tv
    call up friendsi f you have em and shoot the shit.
    think about how smart you are in that one particular area. Every INTj has one area where he rules.
    then you are the shit!
    ....not too hard people!

Right, well, I agree with the underlined part. Flexing the mastery muscle is somewhat helpful at releieving stress.