Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My previous-knowledge-proof test and/or survey

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default My previous-knowledge-proof test and/or survey

This should be straightforward to answer even if you can spot what it means - or not - socionically.

If you don't agree that it's type-related, fine - consider it my own personal survey.

If you do agree it's type related, I will give you my feedback.

However, my main purpose is to check whether some things ARE type related.

Answer as precisely as you wish.

1)
    It is far better to be on your own than with someone just for the sake of not being alone. That applies to friendships as wells as relationships.

or

On the contrary, very often I need to be with someone as loneliness is unbearable. On such occasions, I can’t be too picky about who the “someone” is.

2)
    To proclaim my understanding and competence on a subject, and then change my mind on it because my understanding was shown to be incorrect, it’s embarrassing for me, especially in public, as I fear it makes me look stupid. I prefer to avoid this and usually wait until I am sure of my understanding and knowledge before I start talking about it.

Agree? Disagree? Neither? Etc --

3)
    I am naturally sceptical of second-hand information and whenever possible prefer to trust my own experience to reach a conclusion about something.

or

On the contrary, I think any one person’s experience – including mine – may be too narrow or limited, and I prefer to broaden it by getting as much second-hand information as I can.

4)
    If I need to learn something quickly, my first instinct is to ask someone I see as knowledgeable on the subject, rather than find my own way through it in books, the net, etc.

Agree? Disagree? Etc

5)
    I have a very good idea about my level of sexual attractiveness (or lack thereof) in relation to others around me.

or

Hmm, no. I am never sure about such things.

6)
    Especially in moments of crisis, I am inclined to be paralyzed by indecision and tend to wish, later, that I had acted more quickly.

or

On the contrary, I am far more likely, on such occasions, to act impulsively and to later regret my decisions taken so rashly.

7)
    I worry far more about appearing stupid and/or ignorant among others than I worry about being awkward when dealing with people.

or

On the contrary, I don’t worry too much about appearing stupid/and or ignorant – I am more likely to worry if I am being boring, inconvenient, rude etc when dealing with others, collectively or individually.

8)
    It is a very common state of mind for me to feel that, whatever I have done with regards to a task, or when doing something for someone, I could have done just one bit more.

or

On the contrary, I usually tend to think I am already doing, or have already done, enough anyway – unless it is something that depends on a very specific standard that has to be met, in which case I meet it.

9)
    I respect, even admire, people who don’t back off from confrontations, even physical ones, and who take physical risks (not necessarily at the level of some Jackass stunts, but I think you get the idea).

or

Sometimes I may even wish I was better in such things, but normally I think that those who take physical risks (or risk getting into physical confrontations) easily are just being silly.

10)
    I enjoy poetry and often wish I could write it myself.

or

Poetry may be nice and all, but it’s ultimately pointless – I prefer writings that actually communicate something in a more straightforward language.

, LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1) On the contrary, very often I need to be with someone as loneliness is unbearable. On such occasions, I can’t be too picky about who the “someone” is.

2) Agree

3) On the contrary, I think any one person’s experience – including mine – may be too narrow or limited, and I prefer to broaden it by getting as much second-hand information as I can.

4) Disagree

5) Hmm, no. I am never sure about such things.

6) Especially in moments of crisis, I am inclined to be paralyzed by indecision and tend to wish, later, that I had acted more quickly.

7) For some reason I couldn't decide.

8) It is a very common state of mind for me to feel that, whatever I have done with regards to a task, or when doing something for someone, I could have done just one bit more.

9) Sometimes I may even wish I was better in such things, but normally I think that those who take physical risks (or risk getting into physical confrontations) easily are just being silly.

10) Poetry may be nice and all, but it’s ultimately pointless – I prefer writings that actually communicate something in a more straightforward language.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Expat View Post
    1)
    It is far better to be on your own than with someone just for the sake of not being alone. That applies to friendships as wells as relationships.

or

On the contrary, very often I need to be with someone as loneliness is unbearable. On such occasions, I can’t be too picky about who the “someone” is.
    I'll go with the first; especially for relationships, I'm not very picky about who I hang out with casually.

2) Disagree, debates are a form of learning, so even if I have an incomplete understanding I might discuss anyway.

[FONT=Verdana]3)
    I am naturally sceptical of second-hand information and whenever possible prefer to trust my own experience to reach a conclusion about something.

or

On the contrary, I think any one person’s experience – including mine – may be too narrow or limited, and I prefer to broaden it by getting as much second-hand information as I can.
    Second-hand, such as books? Or other people's experiences? Anyway, generally speaking the second.

4)
    If I need to learn something quickly, my first instinct is to ask someone I see as knowledgeable on the subject, rather than find my own way through it in books, the net, etc.
    Well, I think I tend to research by my own first, and then ask somebody knowledgeable to check if what I have researched is actually connected to what's real.

5)
    I have a very good idea about my level of sexual attractiveness (or lack thereof) in relation to others around me.
    MMmmh. I would like to think so but I think I am a lot less secure than many people I know.

[FONT=Verdana]6)
    Especially in moments of crisis, I am inclined to be paralyzed by indecision and tend to wish, later, that I had acted more quickly.

or

On the contrary, I am far more likely, on such occasions, to act impulsively and to later regret my decisions taken so rashly.
    Neither I usually handle moments of crisis quite well.

I worry far more about appearing stupid and/or ignorant among others than I worry about being awkward when dealing with people.

or

On the contrary, I don’t worry too much about appearing stupid/and or ignorant – I am more likely to worry if I am being boring, inconvenient, rude etc when dealing with others, collectively or individually.
    The latter, definitely.

It is a very common state of mind for me to feel that, whatever I have done with regards to a task, or when doing something for someone, I could have done just one bit more.

or

On the contrary, I usually tend to think I am already doing, or have already done, enough anyway – unless it is something that depends on a very specific standard that has to be met, in which case I meet it.
    The former, I think, even if I don't stress myself too much over it.

I respect, even admire, people who don’t back off from confrontations, even physical ones, and who take physical risks (not necessarily at the level of some Jackass stunts, but I think you get the idea).

or

Sometimes I may even wish I was better in such things, but normally I think that those who take physical risks (or risk getting into physical confrontations) easily are just being silly.
    Hard to reply. I think I take those risks too, sometimes. But I also think I am foolish for taking them.

or

Poetry may be nice and all, but it’s ultimately pointless – I prefer writings that actually communicate something in a more straightforward language.
    The latter.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1)

or

I honestly can't pick an option. If pushed, I think, to most people my behaviour would look like option 2, but I actually don't like option 2 people, because I don't think behaviour like that is fair to other people in the relationship and I generally prefer to be the person that is more 'invested' in the relationship. But my behaviour is very contradictory. I don't like being alone. I start to lose a sense of self and things become quite...meaningless. I'm not too 'picky' about my company, but I'm very 'picky' about my friends. And infinitely worse for relationships. Moreover, I refuse to define relationships and will use any ambiguity to my advantage in eluding definition.

Actually, thinking about this more, I'm always told that I seem intimidating and difficult to approach, like I wouldn't give most people the time of day - so maybe I come off as being picky about company? And I spend a lot of time alone, but only if I want to be alone. No, I have no idea how to answer this question.

Ok, how about this: I like to be in control of the company I keep. I don't like circumstances (such as loneliness) dictating what company I keep. I would hang out with someone I objectively thought an 'arsehole' if I decided they would make good company for the time being, but I would never just...drift along, looking for company and not caring who it was.

2)
    To proclaim my understanding and competence on a subject, and then change my mind on it because my understanding was shown to be incorrect, it’s embarrassing for me, especially in public, as I fear it makes me look stupid. I prefer to avoid this and usually wait until I am sure of my understanding and knowledge before I start talking about it.

Agree, although it's gotten better over time. Very pernicious when young. If I'm shown to be wrong, I need to 'reconcile' myself with it, figure our where the mistake was made, and then move on. But I don't know if that why I make sure of my understanding and knowledge before I start talking. I generally think people should think their positions through and not demonstrate too much abject stupidity. Also, if the reason I was incorrect is funny, I think I might just laugh about it. Sometimes, it's been funny - due to a typo somewhere or something.

Usually with discussions, if I'm unfamiliar with the terrain so to speak, I will listen to other people talk first to gauge the level of the discussion. I like to know my position - am I an amateur in this group, or an expert? Then I will behave accordingly: with deference and modesty as an amateur and with certainty and a touch a magnanimity if an 'expert' because a haughty-know-it-all is the worst of all.

3)

or

I'm as happy with second hand knowledge as I am with first hand knowledge - you just have to be careful with your sources and the extent to which you incorporate them literally. You have to 'reason' through it and 'test' it, of course, but it's not inferior just because it's second hand.

4)

Agree? Disagree? Etc
    I usually like to do my own research, create a 'foundation' of knowledge, then seek someone knowledgeable to 'test' or 'correct' my foundations. I don't like going in blind because then you have nothing to gauge your source against either.

5)

or

I'm generally uncertain (rather than insecure). I need constant affirmation, dammit (so I get accused of being vain a lot...meh - it's just uncertainty). I've gotten better with age as well...well, I'm not sure if I've gotten better with age, or just with more affirmation. Ha.

6)

or

I've yet to regret an action as rash, though I've regretted inaction often. When I do act, I usually approve them, post-hoc.

7)

or

For example, if a conversation or discussion is stalling, I'm more than willing to say something stupid just to get the conversation going again. It doesn't bother me because I am being entertaining and that sort of comes first. And if people judge my intelligence on the flip things I say to engage or smooth things over, then I just think they're judgemental. Actually, I don't mind appearing stupid in front of others if I've chosen to behave that way. It's always better to be underestimated anyway. Although I have to say that 'being thought stupid' hasn't been the bane of my life in any way or form BUT 'letting people underestimate me' has often backfired badly. A lot of people seem to react as though I've 'fooled' them in a condescending fashion, which of course I want to avoid, but ' some people' (not everyone of course) generally are too easily intimidated and project their own insecurities, and I think (often unwisely) that it's better to accommodate insecurity than to just say 'well, they're projecting.' It's a bit touch and go sometimes, but I've become much better over the years with controlling how I present myself and adjusting for different people. Part of this is self-concerned with making an 'impression', I suppose, but I do genuinely want people to feel as comfortable around me as possible as well.

8)

or

I could also do better, do more, try harder, achieve more etc. I have no concept of 'enough'. Usually, if I'm exhausting myself and you want me to stop, the only way is to hit me over the head and knock me out.

9)

or

I hate cowardice. I mean, I'm not some gangster's moll who like thrills at the sight of a brawl and I hate senseless violence, but I respect people who aren't afraid physically. But the word 'risks' makes me hesitate a little. I like someone whose physicality is accompanied by a good sense of risk assessment. Recklessness is generally not something I respect. Good judgement paired with physical confidence is.

10)

or

I do write poetry and most of my fiction is 'poetic' rather than 'straightforward'. I think communication is important, but so is the aesthetic value of writing. Writing should move people. It should impart some sense of beauty, as well as stimulating the intellect. Eh, sometimes I've over-focused on the aesthetic quality of academic essays, which was really...not bright. English Lit appreciates it, but Political Science less so. Still, there's a lot of value in writing well.
    Last edited by unefille; 09-30-2008 at 03:00 PM.
    ()
    3w4-1w2-5w4 sx/sp

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some of those questions were not that easy to answer to be honest even if they are simple, but I tried my best. Can add more info after you comment on my answers as some things might come off differently than I intended.

1. I dislike being alone. I'm always around people on my free time. Not sure how to interpret the"can't be picky" part. I don't think I know people I would NOT like to meet up with from my circle of friends. In terms of relationships I also dislike being alone, I was in relationships that at the back of my head I knew won't last but would give it a go anyway. I rarely actually loose my head in those cases, apart from first few months, after that i'm more or less feel in control of what is going on and feel as if I would spectate it from the sides, not that much involved as usually the other person is. I still think I set quite high standards for the person though, so most likely "can't be picky part" does not fit that much also.

2. I'm rarely sure about what I speak so I often I can be vague or quickly add something "as far as I know", "it should be like it but ill double check later on". I come out very certain when I speak about people though, don't think I feel embaresment if I am wrong as I consider my opinion to be "it can be like that" and not "it is like that" even if I say it with complete confidence sometimes.

3. Can't really answer this one, depends on where that second-hand information comes from. Really not sure how to answer.

4. I always ask someone knowledgeable first, I think even if I don't need to learn something fast I do that. For whatever reason my bosses like this quality in me.

5. Didn't really understood the question fully. I consider myself attractive enough not to care about it. If it is whether i question if others are attracted to me usually I can feel that. If it is whether I am sexually attracted towards others I think I usually know that, however I can be sexually attracted towards someone and do not care about the person on a deep enough level. Takes more than looks I guess or otherwise id be married.

6. Depends on the situation, sometimes in those moments I feel very mobilised but just as often, if not more, I hesitate. I don't remember a situation where I would regret my decisions taken so rashly.

7. On the contrary, I don’t worry too much about appearing stupid/and or ignorant – I am more likely to worry if I am being boring, inconvenient, rude etc when dealing with others, collectively or individually. I sometimes act stupid just for the fun of it, it also lowers expectations from some people and I like that, as in they consider me to be stupid and usually I surprise them later on.

8. Guess this fits more: I usually tend to think I am already doing, or have already done, enough anyway – unless it is something that depends on a very specific standard that has to be met, in which case I meet it.

9. Sometimes I may even wish I was better in such things, but normally I think that those who take physical risks (or risk getting into physical confrontations) easily are just being silly.

10. I don't enjoy poetry, was good at analising it in school and usually would get good grades from my interpretations. Never enjoyed it though and most likely never read poetry for my pleasure. I don't consider it pointless, it has its place just like any literature, its just not for me.

EDIT: after a bazilion of edits this should be it
    Last edited by Simon Ssmall; 09-30-2008 at 02:52 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1) It is far better to be on your own than with someone just for the sake of not being alone. That applies to friendships as wells as relationships.
    2) To proclaim my understanding and competence on a subject, and then change my mind on it because my understanding was shown to be incorrect, it’s embarrassing for me, especially in public, as I fear it makes me look stupid. I prefer to avoid this and usually wait until I am sure of my understanding and knowledge before I start talking about it.

It's a little embarrassing, but it's just part of the learning process, I think. Also I generally tend to blurt things out before they're fully formed anyway, so if I had to wait until I was sure, I'd pretty much rarely ever say anything of value.

3) On the contrary, I think any one person’s experience – including mine – may be too narrow or limited, and I prefer to broaden it by getting as much second-hand information as I can.
    4) If I need to learn something quickly, my first instinct is to ask someone I see as knowledgeable on the subject, rather than find my own way through it in books, the net, etc.

Agree? Disagree? Etc
    I ultimately like to look things up myself, although it's nice to have someone knowledgeable nearby to bounce things off of once I think I understand something to make sure I'm not out in the deep end. This may just be due to my personal learning style, which is that I seem to be able to learn things much better on my own than when other people try to teach me (unless they're just right on my wavelength).

5) I have a very good idea about my level of sexual attractiveness (or lack thereof) in relation to others around me.

or

More the latter, although judging from the number of women lining up to bat their eyes at me everywhere I go, I have an educated guess.

6) Especially in moments of crisis, I am inclined to be paralyzed by indecision and tend to wish, later, that I had acted more quickly.
    7) I worry far more about appearing stupid and/or ignorant among others than I worry about being awkward when dealing with people.

or

I worry a bit about both, actually.

8) It is a very common state of mind for me to feel that, whatever I have done with regards to a task, or when doing something for someone, I could have done just one bit more.
    ^Usually. Occasionally, if I'm tired, I'll settle for something, but I usually know in the back of my mind that it could be better.

9) I respect, even admire, people who don’t back off from confrontations, even physical ones, and who take physical risks (not necessarily at the level of some Jackass stunts, but I think you get the idea).

or

More the latter, but mainly I don't really care either way, as long as no one is making me get involved.

10) I enjoy poetry and often wish I could write it myself.

or

Meh, neutral.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    Holy mud-wrestling bipolar donkeys, Batman!

Retired from posting and drawing Social Security. E-mail or PM to contact.

I pity your souls

Creepy-

1) It is far better to be on your own than with someone just for the sake of not being alone. That applies to friendships as wells as relationships.

2) Agree. I usually don’t say anything unless I feel I have at least a moderately solid understanding of the issue at hand; until I am sure, I will put forth very few [or no] strong opinions, because it is almost like I don’t feel I have a right to express them unless I really understand the issue at hand.

3) I think any one person’s experience – including mine – may be too narrow or limited, and I prefer to broaden it by getting as much second-hand information as I can.

4) Disagree. I am constantly looking things up online, in books, etc. I will ask people if I feel they have some specialized knowledge that I couldn’t get another way, but in general I don’t like to bother people with questions that I can find answers to on my own.

6) I don’t really relate to either of these. In moments of crisis I usually feel and act quite level-headed, and I just do what needs to be done, without being indecisive or rash. [FWIW, it’s in day-to-day life that I am more likely to be “paralyzed by indecision.”]

7) I don’t worry too much about appearing stupid/and or ignorant – I am more likely to worry if I am being boring, inconvenient, rude etc when dealing with others, collectively or individually.

8) I usually tend to think I am already doing, or have already done, enough anyway – unless it is something that depends on a very specific standard that has to be met, in which case I meet it.

9) Sometimes I may even wish I was better in such things, but normally I think that those who take physical risks (or risk getting into physical confrontations) easily are just being silly.

10) In general, I would go with the latter. But there is some poetry that I really enjoy [though it does tend to be the poetry that is actually communicating something without being convoluted, and that is beautiful and thought-provoking without being overly-sentimental.]

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1)

or

i'm not sure. i think the first option first better, as i wouldn't wanna be with someone i'm not comfortable with, just for the sake of not being alone. but loneliness can be unbearable.
    2)

i think it's normal to change one's mind when they understand something better. i usually do not say much if i think talking about a particular subject with someone is a waste of time, or unless i'm pretty sure about the subject, not so much because of embarassment, but i prefer to listen what people say first in times like these.
    3)

or

2nd option.
    4)

Agree? Disagree? Etc

disagree. i prefer to read up about it.
    5)

or

2nd choice. i
    usually have no idea about such things.
    6)

or

1st option.
    7)

or

hmm. 2nd option.
    8)

or

2nd option i think.
    9)

or

1st option
    10)

or

uhh, i'm neutral toward poetry.
    INTp
    sx/sp

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1)

or

it depends to a large extent on the nature of the association. obviously in a professional association or something similar some amount of cooperation is necessary regardless of who the person is. i would spurn people who i think are assholes in almost any kind of social situation, but in a casual setting i'd probably be able to deal with most people regardless of how well i know them. a closer association needs typically to have the other person doing most of the emotional groundwork in order to actually move beyond a casual association.

2)

i potentially could avoid speaking about a talking that a subject that i didn't know a lot about, but typically if i'm speaking about it, i know something about it in the first place. and although other people seem to have disputed this (such as socionix, which i find somewhat baffling), i change my mind about things all the time.

3)

or

probably the latter, although i take this information in context. this question does not strike me as especially important; my sort of subjective methodology of data collection are more in depth and are simultaneously quite reliant on my own ability to put things together as a variety of different sources.

4)

Agree? Disagree? Etc
    i am far more inclined to search on wikipedia or some other internet sources. it's much easier typically than having to involve other people in the scenario.

5)

or

i dunno. maybe somewhere in between.

6)

or

neither. i am not particularly averse to acting under a sense of urgency.

7)

or

i am rarely in a position to feel stupid or ignorant towards others.

8)

or

eh, neither really.

9)

or

i think Jackass is remarkably silly and pointless. some amount of confrontation is necessary, but over-impulsiveness and/or unnecessary physical risks certainly seem somewhat silly.

10)

or

poetry is stupid.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My answers:

2) To proclaim my understanding and competence on a subject, and then change my mind on it because my understanding was shown to be incorrect, it’s embarrassing for me, especially in public, as I fear it makes me look stupid. I prefer to avoid this and usually wait until I am sure of my understanding and knowledge before I start talking about it.

Agree

4)If I need to learn something quickly, my first instinct is to ask someone I see as knowledgeable on the subject, rather than find my own way through it in books, the net, etc.

Disagree

7) On the contrary, I don’t worry too much about appearing stupid/and or ignorant – I am more likely to worry if I am being boring, inconvenient, rude etc when dealing with others, collectively or individually.

9)Sometimes I may even wish I was better in such things, but normally I think that those who take physical risks (or risk getting into physical confrontations) easily are just being silly.

10) Poetry may be nice and all, but it’s ultimately pointless – I prefer writings that actually communicate something in a more straightforward language.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1)

Yes, there has to be a reason for me to be with someone. Anxiety is not a good reason.

2)

Yes, this situation is embarrassing.

3)
    I am naturally skeptical of second-hand information and whenever possible prefer to trust my own experience to reach a conclusion about something.

I have to investigate for myself.

4)

It depends on how trustworthy the source is. If I want to know about physics, asking Isaac Newton to help me understand is a good idea.

5)

Oh yes. I am sexy.

6) On the contrary, I am far more likely, on such occasions, to act impulsively and to later regret my decisions taken so rashly.

I do not hesitate, but I have not regretted my actions. In hindsight, I always agree with my decision.

7)

I don't have social anxieties, but if I had to choose, being stupid would be it.

8)

I realize how things could be better, but don't really stress about it. I file it away for the next time I perform the task.

I think it is stupid to confront someone physically. Anyone can do it and be successful. It takes skill to actually control and manipulate.

10)

Yes. Poetry communicates multitudes.
    LII
    that is what i was getting at. if there is an inescapable appropriation that is required in the act of understanding, this brings into question the validity of socionics in describing what is real, and hence stubborn contradictions that continue to plague me.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1)

or

First one, NO DOUBT.

2)

I agree in principle, but not strongly. While I'm naturally inclined to do what's mentioned above, depending on the situation and matter at hand, I don't think it's always necessarily embarrassing to speak your mind.

3)

or

I kind of relate to both. I generally do the first, but I am always open to getting as much second-hand information as I can, and take it into consideration when reaching a conclusion but still trusting my own experience the most.

4)

Agree? Disagree? Etc
    I do both. In some cases I find the 2nd one somewhat more reliable I guess. But it's about the same to me because in both cases I look for information given by someone knowledgeable on the subject.

5)

or

Hmm, I don't know. I am somewhere in between I guess.

6)

or

2nd one.

7)

or

I don't relate to either one. Maybe slightly to the second, but I'm not sure. I usually worry about not being accepted.

8)

or

First one, which is not to say that I do little or not enough. I do plenty, but I often wish I could have done more or done something differently. This is mainly related to me often setting very high standards for myself, excepting more and striving for perfection.

9)

or

Probably the second. I strongly dislike physical confrontation but physical risks are usually alright to take, sometimes even admirable.

10)

or

This sounds stupid, and I can't choose. It's very subjective with "poetry" being in question. Anyways, the way these are written, I don't have a preference.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1)

or

First one. I prefer being alone, most of the time.

2)

Ugh. I'm never really certain how much I "know" about something. I'm always worried there's something I've overlooked, so I look to outside sources of information for reassurance, and I do get embarrassed (though I don't admit it) when I am shown to have been wrong.

I don't really know if this answers the question... I guess the answer is yes; I do wait until I feel like I understand something before sounding off, but I don't easily feel confident that I do know enough, yet sometimes I feel compelled to speak out anyway if I feel like someone has said something stupid.

3)

or

I'm very knowledge-seeking. I constantly look up words, definitions, articles, etc., of things about which I am ignorant. I don't mind secondhand information as long as the person giving it appears competent and isn't being a dick (and the information makes sense, of course).

4)

Agree? Disagree? Etc
    Agree, and I think you can personally attest to this. It just seems more efficient to ask someone who knows, if they're available, instead of first delving into a book.

5)

or

I agree with the first part. I'm very aware of my strengths and weaknesses in this area.

6)

or

The second one, but I've sort of learned to keep a leash on myself, despite feeling the urge to shoot from the hip in many situations.

7)

or

The first one.

8)

or

The first one, and that's often led to obsessive-compulsive cleaning/organizing when I was younger (though I'm much better about this now).

9)

or

The second one. Getting into physical confrontations, doing daredevil stuff, is extremely foolish.

10)

or

No opinion. Perhaps a slight lean toward number 2.

TIM
    INTp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1) alone, I usually do not like the company of others
    2) certainty first, unfounded speculation is pointless
    3) trust myself, not likely to trust random sources
    4) find my own way, need comprehensive treatment
    5) never sure, people have different tastes and standards
    6) impulsive decisions, not phased by context
    7) worry about ignorance, social matters are trivial
    8) never good enough, always room for improvement
    9) respect confrontation, not easily intimidated
    10) metaphor is pointless, not descriptive enough

Also, I would like socionic feedback if possible. Thank you.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Huitzilopochtli View Post
    Also, I would like socionic feedback if possible. Thank you.
    Heh. I'm not sure yet. This was as much a "test" as a "survey". That is, I wondered if some things were type-related, and could potentially be used in a test. So far the feedback shows that I was on the right track in a few things (assuming I have typed a few people correctly), not so much in others.

Please everyone continue writing, I will give later my conclusions, if any.

***el X Mercenary
    TIM
    Te-ISTp
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1)

2)

Agree.

3)

Depends on the subject and the source of info. Both options for number 3 make sense, but I'm leaning more towards the first (bolded) one.

4)

I don't know many people who have info I would require. Both "instincts" (asking someone or independent study) are applicable. For instance, if my Jeep has a mechanical problem, I'd either call a few nearby car shops and/or my mom's mechanic boyfriend for input.

If I needed to learn something more abstract or theoretical, like a political solution/alternative or info on how to write scripts (for my amatuer fan fiction), my "first instinct" would then be to look for "how to" books and internet websites.

5)

No idea how my "looks" are perceived by others, in terms of "sexual attractiveness." Unless they tell me.

6)

7)

8)

9)

10)

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1)

or

The first option.

2)

Mainly disagree. I don't think it makes people look stupid to change their minds because they got more information, but I do usually wait to say something about an issue until I understand it so I hopefully don't look stupid.

3)

or

Second option. I include my own first-hand experience too, but studies, data, information from reputable sources, have a big place in decision-making for me. If the source does not seem reputable, I'd put my experience first, but I'm just one person with one set of experiences and circumstances, and it's just too limiting to only consider that when reaching a conclusion.

4)

Agree? Disagree? Etc

Agree. Though I do both. Sometimes I ask people I trust where to find information, which is kind of a combination.

5)

or

I think I do now. I'm old. LOL. Though I do still oddly have guys come onto me. Older guys now, like my age. I don't wear a wedding ring so they think I'm a single mom. I did not have any idea of my level of sexual attractiveness when I was younger and was always shocked and amazed that I got a good amount of attention from young men. It was a good kind of shock. It's weird but I can always tell when other people are attracted to each other, but I can't always tell when people are attracted to me. Sometimes I think they just want to chat. Like some guy will start chatting with me, and it'll be a nice conversation, and then my husband will wander over and they'll drop the conversation and leave. And my husband will ask if the guy was coming onto me. And I'll say that I guess so because there's no other reason for me being married to make me less interesting, but it won't have occurred to me during the conversation.

6)

or

I would say that happens far less often in moments of crisis. During those times I seem to have no trouble knowing what to do. It's mundane things like ordering food off a menu or deciding which shoes to buy that paralyze me.

7)

or

Very much option 1.

8)

or

Hmmm. I'd say option B, though I have at times felt guilty that I stopped doing something or another.

9)

or

Option B.

10)

or

Both. I do like poetry and think it's very worthwhile. I have studied many types of writing, including poetry, although I'm OK with the fact that I was better at journalism. But it isn't pointless. It's art, and art makes the world better and opens our eyes to things we might not have thought about otherwise.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please everyone continue writing, I will give later my conclusions, if any.
    Please do.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Creepy-Diana

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the "poetry" question.

I tend to think that poetry - the way it's most common today, not Homeric "poetry" etc - is related mainly to , true romantic poetry also with . So far the one who was most outspoken in favor of poetry was unefille, whom I type as EIE. The only one who was outspoken against it was niffweed, whom I type as ILI.

The others' answers, overall, neither confirm nor disprove this idea. Personally I dislike poetry. Maybe it is only an indicator in extreme cases of like or dislike. Or, maybe not. Again, those questions are just things I've been thinking of.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Answer as precisely as you wish.
    The text that you have entered is too long (12313 characters). Please shorten it to 10000 characters long

1)
    This one is difficult for me to answer as my actions in the past and my young adult years would signify the second one, except that at that time I was also heavily influenced by a number of mental/emotional health issues at that time.

By the time I found out I was pregnant with my daughter (at age 23-ish) I was just starting to get my mind/emotions together. At the time that she was born I also took some time away from intimate relationships. By the time I was ready to start trying relationships again, I had a clearer idea of what I wanted/needed in a relationship, and what was compatible with me, and how good or bad I was for the other person. With each relationship I became more and more picky. Though I still wound up in relationships quickly…even if they didn't last long. But not for the reasons of the second option.

As for friends, I've always had a few acquaintances, but few actual close friends. Hanging out with someone was based on us both enjoying an experience/activity, or my wanting to be with this particular person, and not just because I was bored or alone. Often times this meant that there would only be one, maybe two, types of connections with any particular person.

2)
    I rarely 'proclaim my understanding and competence on a subject' anyways. More often I'm tossing around possibly ideas or possible approaches. I rarely settle on anything, and rarely have strong beliefs about anything. So that makes the few that I do feel strongly about…actually strong. And they pretty much only are strong because various experiences have somehow strengthened them over time until they actually became something akin to a belief. But I'm still open to alternatives, and may even look for ways that it might be refined…and rarely proclaim my own beliefs/ideals as being some objective "truth".

Sometimes it can seem as if I'm not open to alternatives. Generally in this case though its due to the supposed alternatives not fitting in with numerous little aspects that the other person is flat out ignoring or dismissing as 'irrelevant'. When I'm aware of these little aspects, any alternatives, including the original 'thought' need to cover these aspects as well as whatever else is being covered.

3)
    I'm constantly looking for people's experiences and adding that to my 'knowledge' base, it's information that I can draw on, and not so limited as my own abilities/experiences. However, I don't accept people's final conclusions as adding to my 'knowledge' base. I want the experiences they went through that helped them reach those conclusions. What happened, when, how did they respond, what would they have changed, were they successful, etc etc. Being able to draw on this means more to me than them telling me the conclusion they reached. It also gives me more information that I can pass on to someone else who may be going through a similar situation. Just handing them some kind of final conclusion doesn't help them. But hearing how someone else solved a similar problem, and the things that occurred as a result, etc, THAT helps them more.

4)
    My first instinct is almost always to go to a person who might have information about the subject. If a person isn't available, then I'll go to a book. I really suck at searching the internet, lol. So haven't yet been able to make that work successfully on a regular basis for me. Even books are touch and go. But I do prefer the written word…well, actually diagrams and pictures, lol…over verbalizing because then I can go back over what was said..and go back over it…and go back over it…and go back over it…until I feel as if I at least have a clue as to what they said/meant, heh. People seem to get annoyed if you keep going back to them with the same damned questions, . . .

Also, having it on paper or in a book means that I can show it to someone else who may need the same information.

5)
    I used to…when I was actually sexually attractive.
    When I withdrew from intimate relationships (that time off period), I deliberately gained weight in hopes to put off guys' attentions. It turns out that that doesn't work so well unless one is really really fat. And even then it seems that guys (in general) will pretty much try to screw any girl that they think they can.

6)
    Hmmm, this one is a both kind of thing. I very often…perhaps most often…act impulsively, and of course later or almost immediately after (sometimes even during) regret that action. I used to be really great at handling emergencies though. Until I had my daughter. Now, when she's involved in the emergency, while I can reduce any life-threatening possibilities, I wind up being paralyzed by indecision. The actions I would take with myself or another adult or a stranger, somehow don't always apply to actions I need to take for my daughter. This is compounded when I don't have someone I can rely on to ensure certain needs are met.

For example, a few years ago my brother and I were watching my daughter (3yo) during her swim class. A few explosions happened not too far away, and between our location and my apartment where my dog was. The locations were close enough that I had no way of knowing how close the explosion was to my apartment. Nor of how quickly a spreading fire would reach my apartment. People were trying to leave the areas, and we didn't have a radio to hear what was actually going on. (they had been mushroom looking clouds, and I swear I stood there staring at the clouds waiting for the end to hit us. After about half a minute or so, nothing happened, so I grabbed my daughter and went for the car to get her to safety. Now, my dog had been with me for years and years. He was my absolute best friend. And now he's stuck in a dangerous situation on a second level floor with no way of jumping to safety or getting out to safety. I wanted to drop my brother and daughter off at a park, where he could watch her, she'd be safe out of the danger area, so I could go get my dog. But my brother didn't want to. Which left me pulled in two different directions: keep my daughter safe…or rescue my dog. It was a horrible situation and feeling to be in!!! I never want to go through that again. Now she's old enough (12yo) that if something similar were to happen, I could leave her at a safe place, with water, money, and cell phone, and go take care of what I needed to.

So I guess my answer would be that it depends on just how much emotion is involved. Impulsive desires leads to quick but sometimes 'rash' actions.
    Contradicting desires leads to indecision.

7)
    I have such a hard time verbally communicating my thoughts that I am used to being perceived as stupid/incoherent. And since I often don't even know what I'm thinking unless I get it out of myself, it's to be expected that odd/stupid things initially pop out.
    It doesn't bother me when I make it known to others that I don't know something. Or when I ask them questions about something that they might assume that everyone should already know this.
    I also worry about if I'm boring the person, inconveniencing them, if they'd misinterpret what I just said as being an insult, or if they think my giggle was about one thing when it was really about another, etc.
    Since I don't deal much with people collectively, and deal mostly with individuals, this applies mostly to one on one or two on one interaction. More than two and I generally won't say anything at all. Possibly because it's too hard to juggle all the ins and outs of connection making and individual interests when there is more than two people.

8)
    I think this would be situationally based. But I will say that most often, I feel as if I don't do near enough as I 'should' do.

9)
    I guess it depends on the extremes taken.
    For example, I admire skateboarders because of the amount of time and energy they put into perfecting their craft/sport. And the risks they are willing to take in order to further perfect or enhance it.
    I also respect people who stand up for what they believe in….even if I also dislike people pushing their ideals onto others and expecting others to abide. (yes, I recognize the potential conflicts here, heh).
    But I don't admire someone who'll just keep an argument going on and on and on, without actually saying anything, without actually trying to be understood, who'll keep twisting words/actions/etc to fit some preconceived interpretations.
    As well I also don't like when people will cut off a discussion without even bothering to try to actually communicate with the person.
    (and yes, I'm also aware of the various conflicts the last two can be involved in)

10)
    I like songs, lyrics, but not so much poetry. I often don't get the symbolic language used. And I don't like flowery ones. (which alas, is what I used to write when I tried oh so many years ago, lol)
    I do, however, like story type ones, such as beowulf, and some of poe's that had actual characters and actions and responses going on.
    Also, I like ironic stuff.
    However, when I'm actually trying to get information about something, I'd rather it be pretty straightforward. Though a little poetic license to help enhance the story (climax) a bit can be fun.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tend to think that poetry - the way it's most common today, not Homeric "poetry" etc - is related mainly to , true romantic poetry also with .
    That's quite a generalization to base any type of conclusion on.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Winterpark View Post
    That's quite a generalization to base any type of conclusion on.
    Good to know that you know that for a fact. I wanted to see if some sort of pattern would appear. If none does, whatever.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quotes bolded wherever applicable. Qualified wherever necessary.

1)
    2)

I always couch my understanding and competence on any subject as "Subject to change with additional information". Always in terms of "as I understand it..." etc.

3)

or

Some combination of my own understanding and experience and synthesis of hearsay. I prefer pools of information that I can analyze for internal connectivity and common conclusion. Reliable and objective "sources" of information for fact-based assertions.

4)

Agree? Disagree? Etc
    I do my own research to gain a good thorough grasp of the main issues. I can generally come to a basic understanding pretty quickly.
    5) level of sexual attractiveness (or lack thereof) in relation to others around me:

Never really sure. It's kind of a blind spot.

6)
    7)
    I worry about being awkward when dealing with people.
    8)
    9)
    10)
    I enjoy poetry and often write it myself.

Changed.
    socio: INFp - IEI
    ennea: 4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
    Only kings, presidents, editors, and people with tapeworms have the right to use the editorial 'we'.

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tend to think that poetry - the way it's most common today, not Homeric "poetry" etc - is related mainly to , true romantic poetry also with . So far the one who was most outspoken in favor of poetry was unefille, whom I type as EIE. The only one who was outspoken against it was niffweed, whom I type as ILI.

The others' answers, overall, neither confirm nor disprove this idea. Personally I dislike poetry. Maybe it is only an indicator in extreme cases of like or dislike. Or, maybe not. Again, those questions are just things I've been thinking of.
    Shrug. I used to write poetry in high school, but I'm largely indifferent to it.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good to know that you know that for a fact.
    I 'll take that as irony.

I wanted to see if some sort of pattern would appear. If none does, whatever.
    So I figured. But (imo) even if ALL poetry was Ni and Fe, there would still be a whole lot non-Beta NF, non-Ni valuing, and non-Fe valuing types among which Delta STs, who favored it. And Beta NFs who considered it pointless or whatever... which would lead me to be highly skeptical of accepting the relevance of any possibly occurring pattern.
    Last edited by Park; 09-30-2008 at 06:10 PM.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1)

or

2)

I dislike changing my mind on something because it seems to imply flawed reasoning, which I find disconcerting, but faced with significant doubt, I will always reevaluate my position.
    3)

or

On the contrary, I think any one person’s experience – including mine – may be too narrow or limited, and I prefer to broaden it by [comparing] as much second-hand information as I can.

4)

Agree? Disagree? Etc

In between, I prefer the medium of discussion to learn something, but I don't rely on their knowledge to formulate my opinion. Rather I ask them to explain the subject then use them as a sounding board to sort out my understanding and pick apart pieces that I may have issues with.

5)

or

6)

or

7)

or

8)

or

9)

or

10)

or

I hate poetry, but I enjoy creative writing in what could be considered convoluted writing.
    ILE
    7w8 so/sp

Very busy with work. Only kind of around.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1) First. It's a common issue between myself and my mother. She finds it unfathomable that I would reject readily available company just because I don't really like the people in it. I think she thinks it should be about the company I'm in, not the individual people comprising it. Not sure.

2) I agree with the part about usually waiting until I am sure of my understanding and knowledge before I start talking about it, as I try to be sure that the information I am passing is valid, but not the rest.

3) Both. I am skeptical of second-hand information precisely because of mine and others narrow and limited perspective. I cannot trust others but ultimately I cannot trust myself as well. In essence, even through I search hard to have the truth any information I have is limited by either mine or others perspective and this cannot be circumvented.

4) Disagree. My natural impulse is to do it myself. I turn to others only if necessary.

5) The second, but it's not insecurity as much as complete indifference. I am completely disinterested in whether anybody finds me sexually attractive.

6) The second. I never freeze, I always have an idea of what to do.

7) Second. I am always paying attention to whether I am discomforting other people. And to whether other people are discomforting other people. I tend to try to control that aspect of the environment, make sure that I am in a pleasant, comfortable environment, that my stay there is enjoyable. I talked about this long ago when I was describing how I tend to use my Ni to direct Fe, to control the atmosphere of an environment over a period of time. That boat analogy you had.

8) First. And this is one of those things where I am surprised, not to say shocked, when other people are not like this.

9) The second one is actually an understatement of what I actually think. I find both the people under the first option and those who do that kind of stuff insane. I think they have no place in society and having people like that is dangerous and if there weren't any people like that the world would be a much, much better place. I think a lot of societies problems would be solved if such people were expelled or in their entirety inhibited. Simply their impact on society removed.

10) Neither really. I can enjoy poetry, but I don't care about it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1) Better to be on your own. I wouldn't hang out with someone if I didn't really enjoy being around them.
    2) If I don't have an informed opinion, I usually keep my mouth shut, or my statements are more inquiring than conclusive. This is usually the case. If it's just a casual discussion, I will offer my opinion more often and not worry about it.
    3) I will ask several people for their opinion and then pick the one that makes the most sense for the situation, which usually pisses people off.
    4) Yeah, although I do some research on my own as well.
    5) lol No, never sure. I'm always surprised when someone's interested in me.
    6) Act impulsively. Sometimes I regret my decisions, sometimes not.
    7) Sometimes I get social anxiety, but I worry more about being stupid.
    8) First one.
    9) Second one.
    10) I love poetry. I definitely can't write it! I don't connect with all of it, but I love it when I find one that distills a lot of meaning or experience into just a few words.
    IEE

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1) First option
    2) False
    3) Unsure
    4) Disagree
    5) First option
    6) Second Option
    7) First Option
    8) Unsure
    9) First option
    10) First option
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    1) First option
    2) False
    3) Unsure
    4) Disagree
    5) First option
    6) Second Option
    7) First Option
    8) Unsure
    9) First option
    10) First option
    How illuminating.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

o_O Sarcasm?
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    Se/Ni sx/sp
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2) Agree? Disagree? Neither? Etc --
    I suppose it's embarrassing for other people to correct me, but not to correct myself. So if I noticed my mistake before anyone else does, I don't care if I have to publicly correct it. I just dislike others doing the correcting for me. Though I tend to not speak about something I don't understand well in the first place. I don't like looking ignorant.

3) I am naturally skeptical of second-hand information and whenever possible prefer to trust my own experience to reach a conclusion about something.
    4) Agree? Disagree? Etc
    It differs. I would do whatever is more likely to get me the most practical, efficient and accurate results depending on the situation. Sometimes it means I need to ask someone I consider knowledgeable but other times I would rather find my own way. Usually the latter.

5) I have a very good idea about my level of sexual attractiveness (or lack thereof) in relation to others around me.
    I'm not constantly thinking about it, but I'm aware of it.

6) On the contrary, I am far more likely, on such occasions, to act impulsively and to later regret my decisions taken so rashly.
    I actually handle myself very well in moments of crisis. More so than most people.

7) I worry far more about appearing stupid and/or ignorant among others than I worry about being awkward when dealing with people.
    9) normally I think that those who take physical risks (or risk getting into physical confrontations) easily are just being silly.
    maybe a saint is just a dead prick with a good publicist
    maybe tommorow's statues are insecure without their foes
    go ask the frog what the scorpion knows

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

The second option is definitely a concern, but this is how I actually am.

Embarrasing, but probably not that embarrasing. Usually if I thought something was right it was with good reason, and if it wasn't, then I can make light of it.

3) There is clearly too much information and it's impossible to get all of it. If I was to get my information from the newspaper, I wouldn't buy them all, I'd get one. And I'd get The Times, but not the Daily Mail or The Guardian. So I'd take one source as basically authoritative until I have reason not to do so (e.g. a better source).

I do think one person's experience - especially mine - is too limited. I think it's always good to know what the man on the street thinks. So my way of creating government policy would be to read a good newspaper while overhearing a few conversations (i.e. an overview with a few case studies).

4)If I need to learn something quickly, my first instinct is to ask someone I see as knowledgeable on the subject, rather than find my own way through it in books, the net, etc.

I'd do both...I'd ask people if they have any experience in the matter or any insights while looking it up also. It's mostly a matter of proximity.

Probably the second option. Most of the time I want to keep my head down and pretend that such things don't exist.

This. Though when I absolutely must act, I do actually seem to respond better than other people would (i.e. because they don't know what to do).

7) On the contrary, I don’t worry too much about appearing stupid/and or ignorant – I am more likely to worry if I am being boring, inconvenient, rude etc when dealing with others, collectively or individually.
    Probably this.

8) On the contrary, I usually tend to think I am already doing, or have already done, enough anyway – unless it is something that depends on a very specific standard that has to be met, in which case I meet it.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1)

or

just thought of something to add to my previous response
    when I'm this bored, i'm not too picky to come onto the forum and waste my time here.
    But even with this, there's some people that I look for posts/threads from to catch up on what's going on with them, their thoughts, stories, etc.
    But I guess even then, the forum itself would be what I use in regards to the second option given.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree.

3)I am naturally sceptical of second-hand information and whenever possible prefer to trust my own experience to reach a conclusion about something.
    yes

I usually figure it out on my own cause it's too much effort to track someone down and coordinate our schedules. It's way easier to go to the library or just fiddle with it until I can figure it out.

yes.

usually, yes.

yes.

8)On the contrary, I usually tend to think I am already doing, or have already done, enough anyway – unless it is something that depends on a very specific standard that has to be met, in which case I meet it.
    yes.

9) I respect, even admire, people who don’t back off from confrontations, even physical ones, and who take physical risks (not necessarily at the level of some Jackass stunts, but I think you get the idea).
    yes if it's to protect someone or for a good cause. I look down on people who climb Mt. Everest just to say they did it, putting other people's lives at risk who have to then rescue them. that's silly.

I do write it myself.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    o_O Sarcasm?
    Yep.

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1)

or

I haven't had to make that choice yet. And if I did have to - I don't like the thought of being alone in the world. That would be very hard on me. But something tells me I wouldn't have to "resort" to being with unpleasant or bad people just because I needed somebody. I'm fairly confident that I could find good quality people to connect with.

2)

Mostly true, I think. I like being as sure as I can about something before I commit. It's not just about looking stupid, though, it's about starting and building on something that ends up being based all wrong and wasting time and energy because of it.

3)

or

A combination - I like knowing things for myself, but I realize that my own understanding is likely flawed at least in some way. So, I guess the latter.

4)

Agree? Disagree? Etc

Agree.

5)

or

The latter.

6)

or

The former.

7)

or

Um, neither? Both? If I had to choose, maybe the first one. But if I worry about anything it's not so much necessarily what people think of me but probably more that things will turn out how they're supposed to - which may or may not include what people think.

8)

or

Heh, depending on the situation a combination of the above, although the more prominent and driving thoughts are usually along the lines of the first one. Things could always be done better, though it may not be worth it to pursue it.

9)

or

Probably more the latter. If there's a good reason to do it, like protecting something or somebody, then sure, I admire it. If it's just for the rush - ok, fine, whatever floats your boat, and upon occasion I can kind of relate. If it's dangerous to others, especially innocent bystanders, then not only do I think it's silly but I think it should be stopped.

10)

or

Poetry, like any expression, is not necessarily either pointless or useful/good. Whether it's worth anything depends both on the writer and the reader/listener. They're the ones who give it value, if it has any. For myself, some poetry I like and some I don't. Upon occasion I write my own. When I do, though, it's usually just for my own expression of thought and feeling and not usually for other people to read.
    Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5)I have a very good idea about my level of sexual attractiveness (or lack thereof) in relation to others around me.

I have to clarify my answer to this one.

I do have a very good idea of my level of sexual attractiveness around most people. Usually, I find I can attract everyone but the ONE I really most desperately want to.

10)I enjoy poetry and often wish I could write it myself.

or

Also had some ideas about poetry -- the way I see it poetry isn't simply about written words on a page. That is an immensely limiting view of a greater concept. Poetry is something that can be perceived in anything. Music, nature, silence. I think NF types are more inclined toward appreciation of the sublime, the symbolic, the metaphorical. These are all poetic.

Poetry is fluid, poetry is meaning, poetry is metaphysical.
    socio: INFp - IEI
    ennea: 4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
    Only kings, presidents, editors, and people with tapeworms have the right to use the editorial 'we'.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My answers:

1. It is far better to be on your own than with someone just for the sake of not being alone. That applies to friendships as wells as relationships. I like solitude... I prefer it to living with someone. "Hell is other people"--however, from a distance, they're fine.

2. Usually I prefer to wait until I'm sure of my stance... However, there have been exceptions, e.g. my Socionics type, which for so long I thought was something other.

3. I am naturally sceptical of second-hand information and whenever possible prefer to trust my own experience to reach a conclusion about something. depends on the credibility of the source... mass credibility, and whether I find the source personally credible, e.g. just b/c it's in the Time doesn't mean I believe it... I want to know the author's history... I trust my own opinions and instincts above others about things with which I'm very familiar.

4. It depends on the subject... If I wanna learn about someone's culture, for example, I will ask someone who is familiar with the history of that culture... If I want to learn about the revolutionary war--there are books written by ppl who have steeped themselves in it... If I want to learn about a band, I will go to their concert... If I want to learn about a place, I will go there and get 'the feel' of it, you know?

5. Yes... I'm aware of how I come across.

6. On the contrary, I am far more likely, on such occasions, to act impulsively and to later regret my decisions taken so rashly. This has happened so many times, I am ashamed to admit it... It's ruined relationships... It's emotions boiling over in a moment--and saying things that can't be unsaid. It's bridges burning... And I miss so many ppl b/c the stupid shit I've said.

7. I worry far more about appearing stupid and/or ignorant among others than I worry about being awkward when dealing with people. See "Harvard" comment.

8. On the contrary, I usually tend to think I am already doing, or have already done, enough anyway – unless it is something that depends on a very specific standard that has to be met, in which case I meet it. In everything except my main interests, I'm content with handing-in something less-than-perfect... In some cases, even less-than-good... And I rarely second-guess myself in this regard.

9. I respect, even admire, people who don’t back off from confrontations, even physical ones, and who take physical risks (not necessarily at the level of some Jackass stunts, but I think you get the idea). "You can stand me up at the gates of hell but I/won't back down..." -Tom Petty... When I know I'm right, I will not back down, and I respect those who are similar.

10. I enjoy poetry and often wish I could write it myself. I cannot stress this enough: poets are my heroes--Verlaine; Rimbaud; Hugo; even Ashbury... These are the ppl who create meaning in the world--for me, anyway.... I write it myself... I read it (almost) everyday.

What does this say to you, Expat, if anything--these answers?
    Last edited by JuJu; 09-30-2008 at 11:37 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast