Thread: My previous-knowledge-proof test and/or survey

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kioshi View Post
    Rhetoric is rhetoric, poetic or not. Effective communication is all that matters.
    Best answer so far.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Expat View Post

1)
    It is far better to be on your own than with someone just for the sake of not being alone. That applies to friendships as wells as relationships.

or

On the contrary, very often I need to be with someone as loneliness is unbearable. On such occasions, I can’t be too picky about who the “someone” is.
    In the past option 2 used to be true for me (when it came to friends). Now, I can't say I am "picky" but I will not choose friendship or a relationship just to not be alone.

2)
    To proclaim my understanding and competence on a subject, and then change my mind on it because my understanding was shown to be incorrect, it’s embarrassing for me, especially in public, as I fear it makes me look stupid. I prefer to avoid this and usually wait until I am sure of my understanding and knowledge before I start talking about it.

Agree? Disagree? Neither? Etc --
    I don't mind changing my mind if I am wrong, but before I speak about things I definitely try to understand it. I do fear looking stupid but this is also related to my upbringing.

3)
    I am naturally sceptical of second-hand information and whenever possible prefer to trust my own experience to reach a conclusion about something.

or

On the contrary, I think any one person’s experience – including mine – may be too narrow or limited, and I prefer to broaden it by getting as much second-hand information as I can.

Second-hand information I appreciate only from people whom I trust. I like listening to people and what they have to say. On the other hand, my personal experience is also important. So really, both.

4)
    If I need to learn something quickly, my first instinct is to ask someone I see as knowledgeable on the subject, rather than find my own way through it in books, the net, etc.

Agree? Disagree? Etc
    My first instinct is to ask someone for most cases. In the matter of my studies, though, my instinct is to find my own way.

5)
    I have a very good idea about my level of sexual attractiveness (or lack thereof) in relation to others around me.

or

Hmm, no. I am never sure about such things.

I rarely know.
    6)
    Especially in moments of crisis, I am inclined to be paralyzed by indecision and tend to wish, later, that I had acted more quickly.

or

On the contrary, I am far more likely, on such occasions, to act impulsively and to later regret my decisions taken so rashly.

The first most definitely.

7)
    I worry far more about appearing stupid and/or ignorant among others than I worry about being awkward when dealing with people.

or

On the contrary, I don’t worry too much about appearing stupid/and or ignorant – I am more likely to worry if I am being boring, inconvenient, rude etc when dealing with others, collectively or individually.
    More the first. But if I like someone, I tend to worry about the latter. I was called boring once by someone who I really liked (he was a Fe dual-seeking). I've been a little self-conscious ever since.

8)
    It is a very common state of mind for me to feel that, whatever I have done with regards to a task, or when doing something for someone, I could have done just one bit more.

or

On the contrary, I usually tend to think I am already doing, or have already done, enough anyway – unless it is something that depends on a very specific standard that has to be met, in which case I meet it.
    Too circumstantial. So both.

9)
    I respect, even admire, people who don’t back off from confrontations, even physical ones, and who take physical risks (not necessarily at the level of some Jackass stunts, but I think you get the idea).

or

Sometimes I may even wish I was better in such things, but normally I think that those who take physical risks (or risk getting into physical confrontations) easily are just being silly.
    I don't especially admire people who take physical risks. I do think it is silly. I admire those who don't back off from physical confrontations, mainly because I have also been in such a situation and know how scary it is.

10)
    I enjoy poetry and often wish I could write it myself.

or

Poetry may be nice and all, but it’s ultimately pointless – I prefer writings that actually communicate something in a more straightforward language.
    I do think poetry is useless even if I write them on the occasion (they are cryptic because it is strictly private), but generally I prefer straightforwardness. But just because something is useless does not mean it can't be appreciated.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1)
    It is far better to be on your own than with someone just for the sake of not being alone. That applies to friendships as wells as relationships.
    I'm not bothered about being alone. I often prefer it.

2)
    To proclaim my understanding and competence on a subject, and then change my mind on it because my understanding was shown to be incorrect, it’s embarrassing for me, especially in public, as I fear it makes me look stupid. I prefer to avoid this and usually wait until I am sure of my understanding and knowledge before I start talking about it.

I don't worry too much about changing my mind, but I don't want to express my opinion without reflecting on the issue for a long time.

[FONT=Verdana]3)
    I am naturally sceptical of second-hand information and whenever possible prefer to trust my own experience to reach a conclusion about something.

or

On the contrary, I think any one person’s experience – including mine – may be too narrow or limited, and I prefer to broaden it by getting as much second-hand information as I can.
    I prefer second-hand information as a starting point. I then build on it from experience and adjust my theories based on a combination of experience and authoritative information.

4)
    If I need to learn something quickly, my first instinct is to ask someone I see as knowledgeable on the subject, rather than find my own way through it in books, the net, etc.

Agree? Disagree? Etc
    Disagree. I usually learn things on my own.

[FONT=Verdana]5)
    I have a very good idea about my level of sexual attractiveness (or lack thereof) in relation to others around me.
    I usually have no clue about this.

[FONT=Verdana]6)
    Especially in moments of crisis, I am inclined to be paralyzed by indecision and tend to wish, later, that I had acted more quickly.

or

On the contrary, I am far more likely, on such occasions, to act impulsively and to later regret my decisions taken so rashly.
    All of the above. Sometimes I'm paralyzed by indecision, other times I act too rashly.

7)
    I worry far more about appearing stupid and/or ignorant among others than I worry about being awkward when dealing with people.

or

On the contrary, I don’t worry too much about appearing stupid/and or ignorant – I am more likely to worry if I am being boring, inconvenient, rude etc when dealing with others, collectively or individually.
    Both are somewhat applicable. I try not to be rude, and I also try to have well thought out conclusions when I'm interacting with someone.

8)
    It is a very common state of mind for me to feel that, whatever I have done with regards to a task, or when doing something for someone, I could have done just one bit more.

or

On the contrary, I usually tend to think I am already doing, or have already done, enough anyway – unless it is something that depends on a very specific standard that has to be met, in which case I meet it.
    If it's something I value, like my thoughts or my work, I often feel like the final product could be improved. If it's something I don't care about (e.g., household chores), then I just put in the necessary effort and leave it at that.

9)
    Sometimes I may even wish I was better in such things, but normally I think that those who take physical risks (or risk getting into physical confrontations) easily are just being silly.
    I tend to look down on those who engage in fights and the like.

10)
    Poetry may be nice and all, but it’s ultimately pointless – I prefer writings that actually communicate something in a more straightforward language.
    I don't care for poetry.

Jason
    Last edited by jason_m; 10-01-2008 at 05:31 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"1)

or

On the contrary, very often I need to be with someone as loneliness is unbearable. On such occasions, I can’t be too picky about who the “someone” is."

I fall more into the second variant, although simply being with another is not going to suffice in reaching the goal I am seeking: a pleasant sort of social environment in which I can talk freely and have enjoyable, stimulating, and humorous conversation. Although my desire to not be socially isolated causes me to yield to my standards quite a bit, the quality of that social interaction is highly dependent on how well I get along with the individual or group of individuals.

"2)

Agree? Disagree? Neither? Etc --"

I have no issue with stating something before I am wholly certain of its truth, although I will be certain to, at least try, signify to others that the matter is not one of high confidence nor of a well-thought out nature.

"3)

or

On the contrary, I think any one person’s experience – including mine – may be too narrow or limited, and I prefer to broaden it by getting as much second-hand information as I can."

I suppose the second option. I like to get as much perspective as possible upon a subject so I can understand it as deeply as I can, and this necessitates the entry of other people's worldview into my system of ideas and thoughts.

"4)

Agree? Disagree? Etc"

Disagree, usually. Although I do very much enjoy sparking a conversation about a matter on a particular subject I know little about, if simply for the sake of the intellectual stimulation. The information that I get from the conversation is often merely something of a side-effect.

"5)

or

Hmm, no. I am never sure about such things."

I am often very uncertain of how I come across to others in such matters unless I begin to notice explicit body language and a general change in the person or persons I am considering in such matters.

"6)

or

On the contrary, I am far more likely, on such occasions, to act impulsively and to later regret my decisions taken so rashly."

It depends on the circumstance. For instance, in some scenarios I am likely to, in seeing that the situation is falling apart and quick action is needed to be taken in order to revive the situation and its goal, try to jump start it by spontaneous actions I feel will move the situation in a direction towards maintaining focus upon the goal. However, such sometimes leads me to make rash actions that have unintended consequences.

On the flip side, there will often be scenarios in which I am simply unable to, for whatever bizarre reason that escapes me, unable to assert myself in any functional fashion. I will know the end and often the means by which to get there, but the details of the process will appear missing when I attempt the act and I become paralyzed by fear. I become unable to act in such situations simply because there is a fear of failure or something bizarre. It becomes hard to simply force myself into such situations and act spontaneously in them, and as I begin to feel more and more off-centered within them, I begin to stress more and more, and function even less well. These sorts of situations often occur for me in relation to things that have high focus upon myself, for whatever reason. If I am not the center of the spotlight, or if direct sort of judgement is not being applied to me, I am able to function in such situations without any sort of problem. However, and not even all situations are applicable to this for some reason, if I am put on the spot, so to say, and asked to perform on the spot about something in which I have very little confidence in, I am terrible at it and begin to come down with what I suppose is a variant of performance anxiety.

"7)

or

On the contrary, I don’t worry too much about appearing stupid/and or ignorant – I am more likely to worry if I am being boring, inconvenient, rude etc when dealing with others, collectively or individually."

The first. I rarely ever feel, rightly or wrongly, that I will ever appear stupid or ignorant, as my ability to communicate my ideas about objective sort of matters that focus upon intellectual though, ie T sort of matters, is something that I almost always take for granted and assume are well functioning. However, when dealing with people on a level that necessitates taking into account their subjective interpretation of the situation and handling them in ways favorable for myself, I am often at a loss and a bit incapable of maneuvering well so as to create a desirable result. I often find myself in such situations anxious and nervous, often doubting each word I say and simply hoping that they "go over" well with the other person.

"8)

or

On the contrary, I usually tend to think I am already doing, or have already done, enough anyway – unless it is something that depends on a very specific standard that has to be met, in which case I meet it."

The second, I believe. However, to be completely honest, I think this is more a manifestation of my laziness than anything else.

"9)
    I respect, even admire, people who don’t back off from confrontations, even physical ones, and who take physical risks (not necessarily at the level of some Jackass stunts, but I think you get the idea).

or

Sometimes I may even wish I was better in such things, but normally I think that those who take physical risks (or risk getting into physical confrontations) easily are just being silly."

It depends upon the situation. Being physically confrontational with other people and setting yourself up in a position where you cannot be harmed or manipulated in any manner is important to me. I want to avoid being in situations where I can be exploited as such, and sad to say, one can only often establish such boundaries and defenses by becoming confrontational. However, I do not believe in a constant vying for power, as that's extremely tiring, and the idea of physical risks seems something of a bore to me. I may at times take them, but only if I believe there is something of interest to be gained from it. One notable exception is sky-diving, which I want to do at one point or another---but I think that's a rather innocuous example. For the most part I don't see the point.

"10)

or

Poetry may be nice and all, but it’s ultimately pointless – I prefer writings that actually communicate something in a more straightforward language."

It's highly dependent upon the poetry. Bad poetry is really bad; really obscure poetry is really bad; meaningful, insightful poetry that I can apply to things in a manner that both invokes my intellect and passion I find to be interesting and something I wish I could express more often. At the same time, poetry is not something I intentionally seek out; it is not something that I see as interesting enough to pursue in and of itself. Perhaps if I was more involved in writing it I would see it as differently, but as it stands it is something I find merely to be occasionally interesting and insightful.
    "To become is just like falling asleep. You never know exactly when it happens, the transition, the magic, and you think, if you could only recall that exact moment of crossing the line then you would understand everything; you would see it all"

"Angels dancing on the head of a pin dissolve into nothingness at the bedside of a dying child."

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1)
    Agree strongly. Though I do get unbearably lonely as a result. =(

2)

Agree, though I don't mind brain farting hypotheses on things.

3)

or

This is the only question in this survey that feels super foreign to me. My answer would be that I prefer to get as much information as possible and ask everyone their input on things, but, contrary to what people usually think, I don't naiively believe what everyone says. Most of the information people give me I actually write off as "I know better," and often I ask people for information just so that I can guage their "reliability," i.e. if they are very far off from something I know to be true then I consider their future answers in other matters fairly disposable.

4)
    Agree, though this wasn't the case at all when I was younger. I think it's very much based on how learned in the field the people around me are. So, if there are really smart people around me then I'm inclined to show much less initiative in searching through primary sources.

5)
    (Painfully) agree.

6)
    Yes. In particular, I often wish I said things more pointedly, rather than my normal muttering.

7)
    Agree. I never worry about appearing stupid (i think it's an oxymoron), I often worry about appearing physically unnattractive ( but that's not really a choice and is a bit different from "awkward"). So, yeah, if I worry about something it's that I'm being annoying or imposing.

8)
    Strongly agree. This is basically why I can't _do_ anything.

9)
    Agree. I just don't get it.

10)
    Strongly agree. Poetry seems to obfuscate more than communicate. I prefer to focus on the quality of the ideas, rather than their presentation.
    EII; E6(w5)

i am flakey

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1) It is far better to be on your own than with someone just for the sake of not being alone. That applies to friendships as wells as relationships.
    This has been most characteristic of me.

2) To proclaim my understanding and competence on a subject, and then change my mind on it because my understanding was shown to be incorrect, it’s embarrassing for me, especially in public, as I fear it makes me look stupid. I prefer to avoid this and usually wait until I am sure of my understanding and knowledge before I start talking about it.
    I sometimes say my impression of things, or opinions that have settled out of them... but I like to be careful to say these are my impressions. I'm not trying to proclaim my understanding or competence usually, and I don't usually try to make sure I know everything before saying something. I like to see things clearly. I'm not tied down to current opinions or impressions, even if I put forth resistance at first about changing an opinion. Because I want to understand things clearly, if new information is provided that makes me see that my understanding is off, I'll start automatically recentering it so it isn't off anymore, unless there just isn't enough... in which case it will wait. I mean I can feel embarassed sometimes... but that's mostly if I make some sort of error that I didn't see in time. I don't like to "look stupid" either though, and I usually put things in ways that won't go there, though not always, and it isn't always avoidable. So I think I mostly disagree with that statement.

3) I am naturally sceptical of second-hand information and whenever possible prefer to trust my own experience to reach a conclusion about something.
    I know I don't go about seeking out second-hand information... and I certainly don't want to gather as much of it as I can. I probably tend to be more skeptical than not, and I mainly rely on my own impressions. But I wouldn't say my "experience" trumps everything else or that second-hand information has no value, because neither of those things are true.

4) If I need to learn something quickly, my first instinct is to ask someone I see as knowledgeable on the subject, rather than find my own way through it in books, the net, etc.
    Generally, no. But there can be "targeted" questions to people who know a lot along the way to save time. Mostly I prefer to go through things independently if possible.

5) I have a very good idea about my level of sexual attractiveness (or lack thereof) in relation to others around me.
    I have a sense of this but it is wavering often, so then I am "never quite sure about such things."

6) Especially in moments of crisis, I am inclined to be paralyzed by indecision and tend to wish, later, that I had acted more quickly.
    I have a sort of fear about this happening... I think that a "crisis" if severe would pull you into shock and being frozen... and what worries me is that in that time, you are essentially paralyzed and have lost presence of self... and how long it lasts, seems to be something that I can't control... can't snap myself out of it quickly enough. After I do regain "myself" then I think I can act calmly and effectively in a crisis, and be freed up from that state. Though it isn't all that infrequent for me to become paralyzed in indecision in non-crises. And often I reflect over things later and wish I would have done something or said something I didn't (which it's rather torturous when that happens). But a crisis could be different because it provides a sense of urgency, and might actually free up decisiveness depending.

7) I don’t worry too much about appearing stupid/and or ignorant – I am more likely to worry if I am being boring, inconvenient, rude etc when dealing with others, collectively or individually.
    8) I usually tend to think I am already doing, or have already done, enough anyway – unless it is something that depends on a very specific standard that has to be met, in which case I meet it.
    I don't usually have haunting thoughts of "if only I had done more!" after tasks. It could depend on the task though...

9) I respect, even admire, people who don’t back off from confrontations, even physical ones, and who take physical risks.
    10) I enjoy poetry and often wish I could write it myself.
    I don't really know how to respond to this. I like poetry. I write poetry sometimes. I don't really wish I was "better at" writing poetry, or really care. I don't think that all communication must be straightforward. Often poetry is more like the natural flow of thought, it's meaningful.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Def identicals, Loki. I find myself nodding along with nearly everything you wrote here.

Also... I keep thinking abt the common response of many here that "poetry is useless!"... makes me lol. As if everything has to have a use. I find some of the most entertaining things in life don't need to be useful. And why isn't "sheer entertainment value" useful? I guess I don't really get a utilitarian attitude as a way of life.

But how boring would Life really be if everything had to have a use??

Ugh.

(and people tell me I'm too serious...)
    socio: INFp - IEI
    ennea: 4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
    Only kings, presidents, editors, and people with tapeworms have the right to use the editorial 'we'.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aka-kitsune
    Def identicals, Loki.
    <3

I (for one) have been being too serious!

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aka-kitsune View Post
    Def identicals, Loki. I find myself nodding along with nearly everything you wrote here.

Also... I keep thinking abt the common response of many here that "poetry is useless!"... makes me lol. As if everything has to have a use. I find some of the most entertaining things in life don't need to be useful. And why isn't "sheer entertainment value" useful? I guess I don't really get a utilitarian attitude as a way of life.

Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    <3

I (for one) have been being too serious!
    Useless posts, pft...
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Winterpark
    Useless posts, pft...
    Utilitarian post!

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aka-kitsune View Post

I personally took that part of the test as just an opinion. I prefer other types of communications to poetry, but that's just a preference; such as I may prefer different activities, etc etc; it would be foolish and irrealistic to say objectively that "poetry is useless", simply given that so many people enjoy it.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
    <3. I want to sky dive before I die.
    If I'll die before I wake, at least in heaven I can skate...

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I personally took that part of the test as just an opinion. I prefer other types of communications to poetry, but that's just a preference; such as I may prefer different activities, etc etc; it would be foolish and irrealistic to say objectively that "poetry is useless", simply given that so many people enjoy it.
    In that case, for the purposes of this test/survey, the most useful answer for you would have been to say "poetry is useless". I could have included a question on whether one feels any emotional attachment to competitions in spectator sports. My answer would have been "I think they are useless, a waste of time, and boring". So what if so many people enjoy them? Lots of people enjoy useless things.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1) a
    2) Disagree
    3) For the most part, a, but I tend to trust authoritative sources such as Wikipedia . I used to trust my friends, but stopped trusting them when a lot of it turned out to be bullshit
    4) Agree (I only use the net or whatever if it's a long standing interest or hobby, such as socionics (ironically, when I came here, I was using the ask-someone-immediately method))
    5) Generally, a
    6) b, but I rarely make a mistake
    7) b
    8) a
    9) a
    10) Too blanket. I love some poetry, like Rumi, but really feel the latter about other stuff. I attempted once or twice, but this was out of sheer curiosity about future prospects as opposed to a genuine wish to write poetry

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In that case, for the purposes of this test/survey, the most useful answer for you would have been to say "poetry is useless".
    Yeah, I know, that's why I replied in that way.

I could have included a question on whether one feels any emotional attachment to competitions in spectator sports. My answer would have been "I think they are useless, a waste of time, and boring". So what if so many people enjoy them? Lots of people enjoy useless things.
    If people enjoy them, then they have an use - giving enjoyment. (trivial and tautological, yes - but that's why I wanted to clarify my answer).
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Creepy-

This was really interesting, Expat. Any conclusions drawn from the answers?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know my type yet, but I'll go ahead and answer just in case you could use the data.

I'd note, though, that all those FONT tags make quoting a little more complicated... but I guess formatting is worth it to some people. Oh, well.

1)
    I definitely agree with this one over the other option. I would hope that most people think this way, as the alternative seems... a bit pathetic (apologies to anyone who chose that, that's just how it comes across).

2)

I'd say I probably agree with this mostly, unless it's clear I had a good reason for being mistaken. Also, I tend to make sure not to sound certain enough of my understanding when I express it for me to have to worry about this.

I would say I agree with this most of the time, but I tend to get skeptical of things that very clearly contrast my experience, especially if it seems to have holes. I'm not one to be arrogant about the value of my experiences to someone else, though, and don't appreciate people who are.

4)

Agree? Disagree? Etc
    Disagree. I'm the opposite. My first instinct is to find my own way through it in books and on the net... and then turn around ask someone for help if I find that despite my research, I'm still uncertain about everything. Usually I manage to learn on my own, though, if there's clear material available.

This is me... it just doesn't seem all that important, I guess. I'm more interested in a person's mind than their body, and mostly only value the opinions of those whose interests are on a similar plane.

Sigh... yeah, like that. I do react quickly because I'm scared and confused, but it's usually the wrong reaction, and I'm lucky I managed to recover from the consequences of such decisions.
    I worry about this more, because I rarely sound stupid so much as I sound like this. Also, it's easier to recover when I do sound stupid, than to recover from having annoyed someone.
    8)
    I feel like this most of the time. The only exception is when it becomes very obvious to me that I've clearly gone out of my way to do something well, and done better than I could have been expected to.

This is definitely me. I think it's dumb and dangerous. I don't think less of people who do such things, so much as I think they're stupid and reckless.

10)
    I enjoy some of it... and even like writing it once in a while, although I'm not that good. I don't think about poetry a lot, but I like it when I do.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1) It is far better to spend time on my own than to seek company solely for the sake of not being alone. This applies to any depth of relationship.

2) To proclaim my understanding and competence on a subject and then change my mind on it because my understanding was shown to be incorrect is uncommon but, as I've matured, no longer awkward. I often discuss matters for the express purpose of transferring information, and the receipt of new data is a desired event. If the new data necessitates new conclusions, I see this as progress, and without guilt will expect myself to update anybody else that I've discussed the matter with previously, so that they can also update their data pool. I do try to fact-check before either allowing my foundations to be rocked or passing on what may be bad information.

3) I am naturally skeptical of all, including second-hand, information, and whenever possible prefer to trust my own experience first and secondarily a selection of sources, at least some of which contradict each other in order to ensure a range of perspectives, to reach a conclusion about something. I will usually rely on my experience for my immediate reactions, but usually my second-hand sources for passing on factual data (of course, I *enjoy* talking about my personal experiences, which is slightly different). If my second-hand sources substantively contradict my personal experiences, I will attempt to challenge the way I made conclusions about my personal experience. But this only rarely happens.

4) If I need to learn something quickly, my first instinct is to find my own resources including books, the net, advice from people with experience, etc. This also is dependent on the situation - if I wanted to fix a leaky pipe, I would weigh my options of looking up info on the net, checking a book out of the library, calling my Dad for advice, and calling a licensed plumber for advice ... and it would depend on some at-the-time analysis of whether that particular source of information would lead to my success before I put it to use.

5) I have an OK idea about my level of sexual attractiveness (or lack thereof) in relation to others around me. For the most part, I just don't give a shit, but by this point in my life I have been in enough situations to be able to make assumptions about others' social cues about such things. It is something I have to actively want to think about, though, otherwise I usually prefer to think about other things.

6) In moments of crisis, I am rock steady. If there is a need for action, I am calm and ready. If there is a need for emotional consolation, I am stuck in place. Ever since I started hanging out with peers, it's been pointed out to me that I have an unusually level head when most others would be stressing out. It's not really a choice - my spontaneous response to crisis is to look for something to do. I do dislike feeling completely incompetent at consoling people, but usually there's at least something physical that I can do, such as help clean up or drive people too distraught to drive themselves, etc. The worst part is some unpredictable time later, when my own suppressed emotional distress surfaces - I suppose this could be termed my own emotional crisis, but my subconscious is very judicious about separating these surfacings from any other thing that might be going on, so in that case, in times of my own emotional crisis, I guess you could say I'm always alone.

7) I worry a little bit about appearing stupid and/or ignorant – but I am far more likely to worry if I am being boring, inconvenient, rude, etc., or if I am giving out stupid and/or ignorant ideas with the appearance of knowing what I'm talking about when dealing with others, collectively or individually. I have a problem with *appearing* like I know more about the subject at hand than I really do, and I've had to learn to add caveats to my speech, such as "I only read this one place" or "that's only my feelings about it" or "I'm sure it's a much deeper issue than I've researched so far" or "I don't remember the exact numbers, so better do your own corroboration" etc.

8) I usually know I am already doing, or have already done, more than was expected or required – and if something depends on a very specific standard that has to be met, I usually try to exceed it. Otherwise I get bored, and feel like why should I bother in the first place, or else I feel like the standard has been set by someone who had a poor basis, and follow my own judgement on what is adequate.

9) I admire people who can be appropriately assertive in social situations, and I feel an affinity with people who take physical risks - with the exception of those intended more for the emotional shock value rather than the expression of physical grace. Freerunning, skateboarders, skydiving, rock climbers, even bungee jumpers - yes. Jackass- and Borat-type stunts - ick.

10) I like poetry and used to write it myself. That I primarily enjoy writings that communicate in a more straightforward language should in no way be exclusive to my appreciation of other styles and modes. Not all poetry is good - certainly not all my poetry(!) - but the effort a poet spends in pushing the envelope of verbal communication is worthwhile, possibly even indispensable to keeping a language's plasticity through the progress of history . And for personal use, it's a kind of shorthand that allows me a rare level of emotional expressiveness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Bukowski
    We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.
    SLI

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Poetry isn't pointless.

You're using the 'money is everything fallacy' or something. It gives you a sense of security but it doesn't give you an emotional inner calm. That requires you sparking your creative side. Something most Westerners have a hard time with. Great writing will move people, but still manage to connect and communicate with the audience. The best TV shows and books, the critically acclaimed ones all have this quality.

Happiness and treating people correctly is a simple choice no matter what you're doing.

Of course if you want to truly create it takes more effort sometimes than making money. Depending on your type I guess.

Don't ya just love the creator of Calvin & Hobbes for trying to stay true to his artistic roots while still making a living?

Have you pissed on a Ford logo today?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12