Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Why is it so Difficult to Find your Type?

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I don't think it's difficult. Brilliand had no idea what my type was, but I typed myself as soon as he explained socionics to me. When I learned about enneagrams and subtypes, I easily typed myself for those as well. If you know who you are, it's easy to know what you are.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Director Abbie View Post
    I don't think it's difficult. Brilliand had no idea what my type was, but I typed myself as soon as he explained socionics to me. When I learned about enneagrams and subtypes, I easily typed myself for those as well. If you know who you are, it's easy to know what you are.
    I don't agree with that. These personality systems are really just ideals/models that resemble reality in some way. Reality usually isn't classified easily, especially something as complex as personality. However, in general, the better the personality system, the easier it is to identify your type.

Jason

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jason_m View Post
    I don't agree with that. These personality systems are really just ideals/models that resemble reality in some way. Reality usually isn't classified easily, especially something as complex as personality. However, in general, the better the personality system, the easier it is to identify your type.

Jason
    The descriptions may be idealistic, but that is mostly because their authors try to cram as much information about the type as possible into them. With that, there are very few individuals who match the descriptions word-for-word. However, what is important is clearing all the hubris and getting down to the essense of a type. Then, there are certain distinctions that can be made between specific types. Obviously socionics does not dictate all of personality, but a fair deal of your personality is subject to it.

Also, it is hard to type yourself because a lot of people take a bird's eye view approach (which leads to several possible typings, but they pick only the one it best resembles) or the image they have of themselves does not correspond to how they actually use their functions. Additionally, irrationals do not have a stable feel for their functions, extraverts are not as likely to focus on their inner state, and people with strong Ne vacillate constantly.

Finally, "the better the personality system, the easier it is to identify your type"??? Since you claim that personality is complex and not rigid (as would make it easy for classifying), would this not suggest that a system by which it is easier to type yourself has a higher chance of being flawed?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ZTCrawcrustle View Post
    Finally, "the better the personality system, the easier it is to identify your type"??? Since you claim that personality is complex and not rigid (as would make it easy for classifying), would this not suggest that a system by which it is easier to type yourself has a higher chance of being flawed?
    Why would it necessarily suggest that? Your argument is:

P1: Personality is complex.
    P2: Therefore, personality is not easy to classify.
    C: Therefore, a system that makes personality easy to classify is likely flawed.

I don't see the connection between the second premise and the conclusion. You're going to have to give more explanation.

This is what I was trying to say:

P1: Personality is complex.
    P2: Therefore, most personality systems are ideals and only roughly approximate personality.
    P3: Some personality systems approximate personality better than others.
    P4: These personality systems will be more accurate.
    C: Therefore, because they are more accurate, the personality systems that approximate personality better will make your personality type easier to identify.

Jason
    Last edited by jason_m; 12-07-2008 at 07:11 AM.

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
    big bad LOGIC. wow I'm impressed.
    Big bad polr hit simulation. I'm not impressed.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lmfao
    4w3-5w6-8w7

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
    big bad LOGIC. wow I'm impressed.
    The point is not that it looks impressive. The point is that it makes the structure of the argument easier to identify, and so we can figure out what's going on more easily.

Jason

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The point is not that it looks impressive. The point is that it makes the structure of the argument easier to identify, and so we can figure out what's going on more easily.

Jason
    You have to understand, she's an elite gamma—one of the top 10% of the world. They don't need any sense of logical correlation; they're Te is the beacon of all objective trends in the world and her Fi sees the essence of people, so she has it all covered. And her Ni sees the essence of all phenomena, with Se being the radar of pure reality, so there is no possible way that you can surmount her vast superiority to your mode of intellectual reasoning—as I have just demonstrated through this thorough discourse.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

she really doesn't strike me as gamma, she never has

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree with crazedrat here.

P3: Some personality systems approximate personality better than others.
    P4: These personality systems will be more accurate.
    C: Therefore, because they are more accurate, the personality systems that approximate personality better will make your personality type easier to identify.
    I do see that my argument does not necessarily logically flow together, but I also think it has a higher chance of happening. If personality is fluid, chaotic, and not always accurately predictable, a personality system that incorporates personality better than others would likely overextend some areas. They will inherently be more inaccurate as such a system will have to force reality to fit to it at some instances. The most accurate personality systems are not those that approximate all of personality, but those that do a good job approximating one piece of the personality. That is why many prefer to use the enneagram in tandem with socionics: they believe these two systems each address different aspects of personality.

Likewise, it is not always easier to type yourself with an accurate system. Sometimes the aspect focused on by the system will not be obvious or easily discernable in real life, leading people to focus on the wrong things or blow infrequent or rare occurences in their life out of proportion, thinking that it is all governed by the personality system they are using.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234