Hybrid View

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Is this Fi vs Fe?

"I prefer private relationships where most of what is said and done remains between me and the other individual. I respect privacy and value integrity and loyalty. In more serious relationships I want to be able to trust and confide the other person and feel safe about the information I share."

vs

"I prefer open relationships where most of what is said and done presents a process of give-and-take and provides information for exchange with other people. I value honesty and openness. In more serious relationships I want to be able to freely express myself and be accepted for who I am and what I do. I communicate freely with everyone and tend to keep very little information hidden."

?
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think so.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe it's more introversion vs extraversion
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    that's what I was thinking too.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    It has to be more than that because those are opposing views and two people like that will (most likely) not get along with each other. Their expectations would be mismatched and unmet.
    Last edited by Park; 09-26-2008 at 08:20 PM.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    I don't think so.
    neither do i.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think so.
    Quote Originally Posted by implied View Post
    neither do i.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carla View Post
    Neither do I.
    Ok. What do you all think it is, then?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Winterpark View Post
    Ok. What do you all think it is, then?
    something else. i could see both of those aspects associated with Fi or Fe, fwiw. maybe dependent on whatever they're blocked with. maybe need more information to decide.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by implied View Post
    something else. i could see both of those aspects associated with Fi or Fe, fwiw. maybe dependent on whatever they're blocked with. maybe need more information to decide.
    Ok, what if I added this:

"I value each relationship separately. I have no reason to trust people and reveal them details about my relationships. I guard myself and my relationships. And I expect the other person to understand this and be at least a little careful as to how they expose our relationship to others."

vs

"I don't hide my intentions, my consciousness is clear and I leave the rest up to the other person. Most people have good intentions and can be generally trusted, but I sometimes find myself amused to discover what some people were really about/after."
    Last edited by Park; 09-26-2008 at 09:36 PM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, for friendship-type relationships I prefer this:

"I prefer open relationships where most of what is said and done provides for an exchange of information with other people."

For romantic-type relationships, of course, I prefer this:

"I prefer private relationships where most of what is said and done remains between me and the other individual. I respect privacy and value integrity and loyalty. I want to be able to trust and confide in the other person and feel safe about the information that I share."

I thought that this would be a general trend for most people though, yeah? Or no?
    Not for me. One of my best friends (another IEI) and I do both. At times we talk about open stuff and that's understood that it's information we'd share with anyone or whatever but at other times and on certain topics, it's understood that it's private and I know I can trust her not to go blabbing about it. There are even things I'd tell my best friend that I wouldn't necessarily tell my romantic partner (a.k.a. husband) just because she understands it and he doesn't, or whatever.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At times we talk about open stuff and that's understood that it's information we'd share with anyone or whatever but at other times and on certain topics, it's understood that it's private and I know I can trust her not to go blabbing about it. There are even things I'd tell my best friend that I wouldn't necessarily tell my romantic partner (a.k.a. husband) just because she understands it and he doesn't, or whatever.
    Yeah, so far you're closest to what I'm thinking.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not for me. One of my best friends (another IEI) and I do both. At times we talk about open stuff and that's understood that it's information we'd share with anyone or whatever but at other times and on certain topics, it's understood that it's private and I know I can trust her not to go blabbing about it. There are even things I'd tell my best friend that I wouldn't necessarily tell my romantic partner (a.k.a. husband) just because she understands it and he doesn't, or whatever.
    I think I'm much the same. I generally have different patterns based on who the person is to me, how well we know each other. I have a couple close friends that I know I can share anything with, because they are sensitive about knowing what I wouldn't want them to share with anyone else. We're all on the same page about "private" info.

With other people, I'm not always sure. People often share info with me I'd consider "private" rather freely, regardless of whether we're close, so I'm sometimes not certain whether I should repeat it or no. Usually I don't if I think it's something very personal, like family secrets or it seems like something of a confessional nature. It's a strange position to be in.

I rather like being a *special* confidant, so I feel privileged to be trusted with someone's personal info. I often don't want to tell anyone else.
    socio: INFp - IEI
    ennea: 4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
    Only kings, presidents, editors, and people with tapeworms have the right to use the editorial 'we'.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, for friendship-type relationships I prefer this:

"I prefer open relationships where most of what is said and done provides for an exchange of information with other people."

For romantic-type relationships, of course, I prefer this:

"I prefer private relationships where most of what is said and done remains between me and the other individual. I respect privacy and value integrity and loyalty. I want to be able to trust and confide in the other person and feel safe about the information that I share."

I thought that this would be a general trend for most people though, yeah? Or no?
    I was more interested in the aspect that comes into conflict between the two.

Thanks for the grammar corrections.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kioshi View Post
    I don’t see the conflict.
    The conflict is in the way they handle the exchanged information. One tends to keep it away from people it wasn't intended for and protects it from the potential of being misused, while the other sees no need of keeping it for themself and protecting it but is predisposed to share it and constantly gain others' opinion/perspective on it, which is something the 1st one wouldn't care about.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Winterpark View Post
    "I prefer private relationships where most of what is said and done remains between me and the other individual. I respect privacy and value integrity and loyalty. In more serious relationships I want to be able to trust and confide the other person and feel safe about the information I share."

vs

"I prefer open relationships where most of what is said and done presents a process of give-and-take and provides information for exchange with other people. I value honesty and openness. In more serious relationships I want to be able to freely express myself and be accepted for who I am and what I do. I communicate freely with everyone and tend to keep very little information hidden."

?
    not in whole but in part
    ENTP:wink:ALPHA