Thread: Ne: An analysis

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Ne: An analysis

I want all the Ne dominant types to give something (a few sentences, maybe a couple paragraphs) describing what Ne is to them: how they experience it, what it does for you, etc. I think by doing this, we can combine our descriptions and try to get a consensus about what functions really entail to the individual, and thus, each individual that experiences them. After all, that's what socionics is about, right?
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll kick this one off with a few slices of how I perceive Ne:

I use Ne to balance different points of view and to see all the angles and possibilities/potentialities.

Ne hurts, however, when it turns paranoid: I sometimes doubt myself because I see all of the possible ways a situation could go wrong, or what could happen if I don't do X. Sometimes it's so bad that it gives me irrational, compulsive fears about "If I don't do X, then Y will happen, which is bad," even if X and Y aren't connected in any seemingly logical way.

Under cerulean skies...

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gilligan87
    I'll kick this one off with a few slices of how I perceive Ne:

I use Ne to balance different points of view and to see all the angles and possibilities/potentialities.

Ne hurts, however, when it turns paranoid: I sometimes doubt myself because I see all of the possible ways a situation could go wrong, or what could happen if I don't do X. Sometimes it's so bad that it gives me irrational, compulsive fears about "If I don't do X, then Y will happen, which is bad," even if X and Y aren't connected in any seemingly logical way.
    How does this experience differ from the ENxx "General"? I don't follow.

To me Ne is simply the way forward. It keeps you alive when you're in danger and preserves you in your quest to pursue the vision.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tcaudilllg
    Honestly, I don't know. I don't really have enough information about ENxx to decide how I am different from it. How do you see my description connecting to it?

Under cerulean skies...

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tcaudilllg
    Honestly, I don't know. I don't really have enough information about ENxx to decide how I am different from it. How do you see my description connecting to it?
    Well it depends on how you use it. If you are applying your Ne toward the outside world, and trying to take action against those things that can go wrong, then that would recall the actions of the General to change their political environment. The description I provided you may have been a little too dark-hearted to be accurate. I think I got the traits down, but the presentation was skewed.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ne is like quickly seeing how a bunch of different things are the same - so quickly that you can't explain it. You lose pieces of it then get them back when you're reminded.

Ne would be lost with out Ti or Fi.
    Entp
    ILE

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A never ending brainstorm session...
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having Ne as a first function is like having to choose between two women, but you do not because that would mean wrecking a really good thing, atleast that is until you find hotter women.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

to me is about seeing the world and the environment on not how it appears, but on how it could strive to be or really is beneath the filtering. My makes me confident and allows me to see and create things that are original and inspire/awe others.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Ne to me always obsorbs information in the external world. It constantly makes connections even though my mind is silent, and I can't hear each connection being made when the information is being collected. It stores this information that is only retrieved when the situation calls for it. I do not have to think about it, the process is automatic.

With Ne I can have many beliefs at once at the same time, even though they may contradict each other. I can see all sides and motivations for every action, "right" or "wrong." I can present each side convincingly, along with the positives and negatives.

Using Ne I am confident I can always find a solution to any problem. Or I always can see how things can be improved.

I tend to spout off random things. It is not really random, but just the right stimuli was present to force a connection and retrieval.

I have a hard time seeing things as is when my Ne goes crazy with possibilities. Real and imagined can be the same to me. I feel they are both valid in certain situations. For imagined things, not to say I lie, I can vividly recall them as if it was real, and even think they are real.

I trust my Ne and will never back down on something I deduced has a strong possibility. Even if someone thinks I'm totally off in my deduction, I will still believe I am right.

Hmm. . . That is all I have for now.
    ILE

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seeing the world with Ne is like watching a polaroid develop. Sometimes what you see is hazy and vague, but you just know that there are all kinds of possibilities just underneath. Walking through my city this morning felt like this. A glorious day, cold and clear, and I walked through the old part of our town and felt how many possibilities there are in those houses (people you might like, interiors you'd find interesting, rooms you'd love to own) and in the new day itself. It was like I felt those possibilities directly.

My Ne doesn't see specific details. It sees a pattern, a holistic image of something, an entire gestalt. That is why I will sometimes perceive something and identify it (with my secondary function) as "somehow wrong" or "somehow good", without being able to explain why. The reasons are usually a complex web of associations with all sorts of things. Read what Anndelise says in this thread, it's very good.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everyone seems to be saying what does but not how it works. ScanDave seems to have come the closest, but I think we haven't gone ddep enough.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imagine like this:

One man (your conscious self) hires a bunch of workers (your senses) and rents out a storage space (your brain). The man sees something he's interested in, then sends all the workers out to gather as much as they can on it. As more information keeps coming in, the man hires a consultant ( Fi or Ti). The consultant constantly analyzes the data as it comes in, and chooses which one is the best/most logical. His opinions changes basically any time the workers bring in new information; you can ask him the same question two days in a row, and, chances are, it'll be different the second time.

Now imagine thousands of those little cells operating constantly. They're operating independant of one another, yet constantly overlapping in their decisions: there's a system of messengers that run between the little cells, telling each other what the current position on each item is. That's what it's like to be Ne dominant.

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Imagine like this:

One man (your conscious self) hires a bunch of workers (your senses) and rents out a storage space (your brain). The man sees something he's interested in, then sends all the workers out to gather as much as they can on it. As more information keeps coming in, the man hires a consultant ( Fi or Ti). The consultant constantly analyzes the data as it comes in, and chooses which one is the best/most logical. His opinions changes basically any time the workers bring in new information; you can ask him the same question two days in a row, and, chances are, it'll be different the second time.

Now imagine thousands of those little cells operating constantly. They're operating independant of one another, yet constantly overlapping in their decisions: there's a system of messengers that run between the little cells, telling each other what the current position on each item is. That's what it's like to be Ne dominant.
    Interesting methaphor and makes sense, since is basically using information in the outside world and transforming it in a way so that all the patterns can be shown and then the or Ti: makes the connections.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll try to write something in my English full of spelling mistakes.

: Extraverted Intuitsion, Intuition of Opportunities.

Alternatives. You might not be even aware of it, but you have always many ideas for just in case.

You know who is interesting and who is not. Very quickly. In random company you will soon get the idea of who is the one to approach because you know that you two or the group have similar interests or pesonalities. This function gives you an ability to characterize a person. You can dig into it's psychological world.

Brain storming. When needed, you can come up with solution to anithing. You even love the situation of unclear so you could come up with your own way. Routine bothers you.

Therization. You like to explain things. Collect a lot of information with eas and a lot of times with out noticeing you do that. Then you will explain your theory why it is so. Memory is assotiative. One thing reminds another and you can remember a lot more than you thought you knew.

Sociability. You like to find new friends. Get to know them. You know how to make a compliment. The bad thing is that you also get really fast bored in your just found friends. You have a lot of acquitances, but few close friends.

Jokes. Good sence of improvisation. You know immediatly when to slap people with your whitty and double meaning humor. It is easy for you to make a house full of people laughing. And you like to joke. With out it the life would be dull and you hate that.

Inventivness and imagination. You need to develope something in your head. Head is filled with differend great ideas for the future. You are ambigious. You think you will achieve something great with your life. You like to come up with original ideas. You can be imaginative and with a lot of fantasy. It is easy for you to come up with an interesting story.

Intuition. You can train your self to be so good that you know immideatly the answer. This person is ESFj and you know just by seing her. And you were right.

Bad taste of clothing. You like aesthetic situation and beauty. But for yourself, it is not easy to dress and you may look badly matched.

Your life is more rich in your dreams than it really is. You have so many goals in your mind, but in reality, you haven't achieved them and you are actually not living like you see in your fantasies.

That's how i see . I made the description by describing different people who are ENTp and ENFp. Some of the stuff i wrote when I introspected. I hope they are okay because you cannot describe all the ENTps just by looking inside of you and then induct the results for all of them. It is a mistake to be avoided.
    Semiotical process

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not a bad description of what it's like to be Ne dominant, but I was looking for more of an analysis of Ne as a cognitive process.

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    ILE 8w9
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its a way of taking in information, aquiring awareness via volition (I think). While Se takes in information through physical perception, Ne gets it by realizing patterns in the physical environment(?). Ne has more to do with thinking about what one is aware of by combination with the other ego function, thus having consciousness.

lets see, it might help to identify the other functions so then we will know what "N" is not.

T: thinking process that identifies and adheres to reality
    F: awareness of emotions that allows one to value (?) (evaluations, not necessarily emotion).
    S: physical self, perceptions, body, etc.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ne is the idea of acting according to objective standards but for a subjective purpose. Roughly, this means that my action is forced, but I am free to act towards any purpose. Although "free to act" may be a bit misleading, since technically one is not "free" but in this case bound by the requirements of the subjective world, which for an ENxp means following an internal goal defined by means of potentials.
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cone
    Ne is the idea of acting according to objective standards but for a subjective purpose. Roughly, this means that my action is forced, but I am free to act towards any purpose. Although "free to act" may be a bit misleading, since technically one is not "free" but in this case bound by the requirements of the subjective world, which for an ENxp means following an internal goal defined by means of potentials.
    Eh..sorta.

Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New theory, it's still in it's tentative stages, here's what it should be:

Ne is a function of forced action according to subjective principles. In its purest form, Ne reacts only to objective determinants, but handles them according to subjective standards. So in a way, Ne is the embodiment of social non-conformism.
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

edit

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ILENTp
    I don't see how intuition can be forced. is just random ideas and connections between concepts. I can't force myself into seeing a connection.

Intuition is not forced by internal agents of the subject, is forced-in-itself, so to speak. Reactive.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

edit

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gosh.

You don't have to force yourself.

Intuition is forced by the environment.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

edit

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, it could be forced by your conscious thought. Logic is forced by conscious thought.

Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Forced" is a very misleading word. That's why I also said that Ne is reactive to objective determinants, as opposed to subjective determinants.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

edit

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not according to Jung. Extraverts are reactive to objective determinants, and introverts are reactive to subjective determinants.

Of course, I am using purely behavioral terms. In terms of goal-directed behavior, extraverts aim towards objective goals and introverts aim towards subjective goals.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

edit