Thread: Bodybuilding: a Te way of life?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Bodybuilding: a Te way of life?

I've been wondering about this; if bodybuilding is a Gamma or Delta pursuit (I'm talking about this:

Not this:

)

Like the methods they use are Te, and why do they do it? Is it because they are LIEs who want to look good and tough and know how to make themselves look good (but sometimes they take it overboard because of Se HA)? Or is it because they're Delta STs who really enjoy doing what they do and know good practical Te methods to make them enjoy themselves more?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe one case where it might be associated with Te is in a sport where one has to be fit to perform well (or one performs better when one is fit). But bodybuilding just for its own sake isn't necessarily Te, I don't think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    Holy mud-wrestling bipolar donkeys, Batman!

Retired from posting and drawing Social Security. E-mail or PM to contact.

I pity your souls

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elro View Post
    Maybe one case where it might be associated with Te is in a sport where one has to be fit to perform well (or one performs better when one is fit). But bodybuilding just for its own sake isn't necessarily Te, I don't think.
    Yes, I agree.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yum! Matthew McConaughey. That's my kind of body. Grrrmrowr. :wink:
    socio: INFp - IEI
    ennea: 4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
    Only kings, presidents, editors, and people with tapeworms have the right to use the editorial 'we'.

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you're limiting it to those two types, I would say ESTj. I think it goes better with their stronger focus on bodily health and the sensory aspect of life in general. That being said, you will probably get an ENTj every now and then who blows others out of the water by being able to set long range goals and implement them willfully. But, on the whole, ESTj is probably a more common type.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elro View Post
    Elro's right, it's not Te by a long shot. Sides, that's behavior.

Oh, i mean, behaviour.
    "Those who make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities..."

- Voltaire

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't see why it couldn't just as easily be common to beta ST's. My ESTp friend used to get up every day around 4:45am to train at 5:30am or so before school, and then would train after school as well. He wasn't a bodybuilder, but I think the attitude could easily have positive gains in such a field. Specialization (exhaustive devotion) and (ideological) perfection seem to be common themes to beta - at least when they find something to devote all their time and energy to.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by strrrng View Post
    I don't see why it couldn't just as easily be common to beta ST's. My ESTp friend used to get up every day around 4:45am to train at 5:30am or so before school, and then would train after school as well. He wasn't a bodybuilder, but I think the attitude could easily have positive gains in such a field. Specialization (exhaustive devotion) and (ideological) perfection seem to be common themes to beta - at least when they find something to devote all their time and energy to.
    Yes, I think Beta STs are the most likely types to be serious about body-building.

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    Yes, I think Beta STs are the most likely types to be serious about body-building.
    Or any physical endeavor, for that matter. They just seem to have a strong propensity for all-out application, and areas like bodybuilding, martial arts, etc. seem to be the perfect outlet for these.

At the risk of digression, I would say that your attitude towards biking bears some semblance to the above-mentioned
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

That's so hot.

I don't know though, but I think that makes sense, as I don't value and I lift weights very rarely.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Matthew Mcconaughey would be hot if he chopped his head off.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

If you're limiting it to those two types, I would say ESTj. I think it goes better with their stronger focus on bodily health and the sensory aspect of life in general. That being said, you will probably get an ENTj every now and then who blows others out of the water by being able to set long range goals and implement them willfully. But, on the whole, ESTj is probably a more common type.
    No. The bottom one would be a candidate for ESTj, but not the top. It's just a big lump of cancer. There's no point to bodybuilding that much. It's wasted effort.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    Ouch.
    I'm getting the feeling you think he's unattractive...

Only kings, presidents, editors, and people with tapeworms have the right to use the editorial 'we'.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Director Abbie View Post
    No. The bottom one would be a candidate for ESTj, but not the top. It's just a big lump of cancer. There's no point to bodybuilding that much. It's wasted effort.
    Bulging veins are really quite repulsive, IMO.

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aka-kitsune
    Bulging veins are really quite repulsive, IMO.
    What about veins that protrude but don't bulge, and are only the result of well-defined muscle tone?

edit: I know that protrude and bulge are synonyms, lol. I just meant veins that are visible but not swelling up or w/e.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

What about veins that protrude but don't bulge, and are only the result of well-defined muscle tone?

edit: I know that protrude and bulge are synonyms, lol. I just meant veins that are visible but not swelling up or w/e.
    I have one on my hand that sticks out sometimes. It's squishy. But people should wear shirts whether they're male or female, slim or fat. Blood veins have nothing to do with it.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LokiVanguard View Post
    Oh, i mean, behaviour.
    It's satisfactory to see some of you disgusting rebels from the west still retain true loyalty to the Empire.

It would only be Beta ST in that the individual's main effort is to acquire territory (people, an ideal, or actual physical landmass).

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    That's so hot.
    What, Matthew McConaughey or the massive dude at the top who looks like a mutant?

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    Hahahahaha.

I had words here once, but I didn't feed them Khola aka Bee's Avatar
    TIM
    Meat Popsicle
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    )
    Wow. Those pants leave very little to the imagination.
    Hello, my name is Bee. Pleased to meet you .

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra
    It would only be Beta ST in that the individual's main effort is to acquire territory (people, an ideal, or actual physical landmass).
    No. Se is defined in wikisocion as focused on achieving an object of desire. The goal of becoming ripped/the best/etc. is a perfect example of such a focus.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At the risk of digression, I would say that your attitude towards biking bears some semblance to the above-mentioned
    That's right, at least in his more external part, in the sense that the result is exactly the same. The difference I usually found between the way I approach it and the way many ISTjs that are into cycling approach it is:
    - attention to detail (I don't really make very detailed plans of my training and stick to them: I have a general vision on the fitness level I want to reach, and depending on how I feel each day I train harder/softer)
    - emotional investment (I have absolutely zero emotional investment in cycling. I would never call myself a "cyclist" proudly - it's simply something I do, and I like doing, and am good at doing, so why not doing it?)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why don't you just ask bionicgoat cause that is his pic.
    LII
    that is what i was getting at. if there is an inescapable appropriation that is required in the act of understanding, this brings into question the validity of socionics in describing what is real, and hence stubborn contradictions that continue to plague me.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think it's both. body-building is gross and pointless. cardiovascular health will have long term benefits.
    asd

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by Mariano Rajoy View Post
    actually that's an old pic... I'm much buffer now.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No. Se is defined in wikisocion as focused on achieving an object of desire. The goal of becoming ripped/the best/etc. is a perfect example of such a focus.
    That's part of it. I wrote a description of Se for the SLE which, without sounding arrogant, I think is quite good. Obviously I can't take credit for the actual content though, because it's basically a compilation of all the best parts of descriptions of Se available.

Quote Originally Posted by Mariano Rajoy View Post
    Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by heath View Post
    i think it's both. body-building is gross and pointless. cardiovascular health will have long term benefits.
    Cardiovascular: definitely; everyone should do this at least three times a week. Otherwise they will become fat fucks who live a depressive life. They should be put down.

Anaerobic/resistance training: actually very helpful for those whose jobs require a fair bit of manual labour. Otherwise, you're right in that it's simply ego-building/confidence-funding (unless of course your job is Mr Universe, LOL. But then the question "how did you get into it in the first place?" could be asked).

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra
    That's part of it. I wrote a description of Se for the SLE which, without sounding arrogant, I think is quite good. Obviously I can't take credit for the actual content though, because it's basically a compilation of all the best parts of descriptions of Se available.
    Ok.

Cardiovascular: definitely; everyone should do this at least three times a week. Otherwise they will become fat fucks who live a depressive life. They should be put down.
    Three times a week is the bare minimum IMO. If you really want to be in shape, you need to do aerobic (long runs, swimming) and anaerobic (sprint intervals) training to challenge your cardiovascular threshold and enable your body to perform at all possible levels of intensity, in various ways.

Anaerobic/resistance training: actually very helpful for those whose jobs require a fair bit of manual labour. Otherwise, you're right in that it's simply ego-building/confidence-funding (unless of course your job is Mr Universe, LOL. But then the question "how did you get into it in the first place?" could be asked).
    Depends on the type of resistance training. If you're a construction worker, you probably don't even need to lift; they perform compound lifting every day, and a weight lifting routine would probably fuck up their normal movements. If anything, they could do squats, deadlifts, etc. (compound lifts) a few times a week, preferably 4-5 reps for maximal power. The "ego building" resistance training you speak of comes from doing sets of 8-12 reps, which is purely for hypertrophy and is generally impractical IMO. As for bodybuilders, whatever lol.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ezra, don't underestimate the need for pure strength traning. It's not exclusively for ego boosting, but also for relief of muscles that are often underused and misused in sedentary occupations (such as those of the back), and also beneficial for bone density and bone strength. Not to mention that some good level of muscular strength can generally have a positive impact on everyday life activities. Lastly, exclusive aerobic training might have a depressive effect on testosterone levels (if overdone), thus anaerobic training is needed to balance our biochemistry.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

smart people can avoid manual labor by working at desks.
    asd

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    Ezra, don't underestimate the need for pure strength traning. It's not exclusively for ego boosting, but also for relief of muscles that are often underused and misused in sedentary occupations (such as those of the back), and also beneficial for bone density and bone strength. Not to mention that some good level of muscular strength can generally have a positive impact on everyday life activities. Lastly, exclusive aerobic training might have a depressive effect on testosterone levels (if overdone), thus anaerobic training is needed to balance our biochemistry.
    Good point. I agree that too much pure aerobic training is detrimental. Anaerobic training is necessary to constantly challenge your body and avoid plateauing. And yeah, a lot of people need the strength-stability training, to simply improve posture, bone strength and correct kinetic distortions.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

desks can avoid smart people by working at manual labor

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good point. I agree that too much pure aerobic training is detrimental. Anaerobic training is necessary to constantly challenge your body and avoid plateauing. And yeah, a lot of people need the strength-stability training, to simply improve posture, bone strength and correct kinetic distortions.
    if you run, running hard can increase anaerobic capacity and help build muscle. this is doubly good.
    asd

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Yeah, that's true; I didn't think of the health/well-being benefits of it. But surely you can derive these from aerobic exercise?

What about those who prefer manual labour?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, that's true; I didn't think of the health/well-being benefits of it. But surely you can derive these from aerobic exercise?

What about those who prefer manual labour?
    Manual labor is a nice, necessary idea, but when it the idea of it as work is placed into the existing structure of economy in industrialized nations it leads to health problems due to overexertion and ceaseless schedules. Let's not shit ourselves. lifting boxes all day is not good for you.
    asd

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I lift weights about 2 times a week.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I like when guys flex and then kiss their sweaty biceps. That's some hot shit. Or when they do that pecs thing.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Manual labor is a nice, necessary idea, but when it the idea of it as work is placed into the existing structure of economy in industrialized nations it leads to health problems due to overexertion and ceaseless schedules. Let's not shit ourselves. lifting boxes all day is not good for you.
    Neither is running marathons for years on end.
    "Those who make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities..."

- Voltaire