Results 1 to 35 of 35

Thread: Bodybuilding: a Te way of life?

  1. #1
    ...been here longer than the fucking monarchy Ezra's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    UK
    TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Posts
    9,169
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Bodybuilding: a Te way of life?

    I've been wondering about this; if bodybuilding is a Gamma or Delta pursuit (I'm talking about this:



    Not this:

    )

    Like the methods they use are Te, and why do they do it? Is it because they are LIEs who want to look good and tough and know how to make themselves look good (but sometimes they take it overboard because of Se HA)? Or is it because they're Delta STs who really enjoy doing what they do and know good practical Te methods to make them enjoy themselves more?
    Ideas don't determine who's right. Power determines who's right. And I have the power. So I'm right.

  2. #2
    Elro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Not here
    Posts
    2,796
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Maybe one case where it might be associated with Te is in a sport where one has to be fit to perform well (or one performs better when one is fit). But bodybuilding just for its own sake isn't necessarily Te, I don't think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    Holy mud-wrestling bipolar donkeys, Batman!

    Retired from posting and drawing Social Security. E-mail or PM to contact.


    I pity your souls

  3. #3
    Hot Message FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Freiburg im Breisgau
    TIM
    ENTj
    Posts
    15,632
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elro View Post
    Maybe one case where it might be associated with Te is in a sport where one has to be fit to perform well (or one performs better when one is fit). But bodybuilding just for its own sake isn't necessarily Te, I don't think.
    Yes, I agree.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

  4. #4
    aka-kitsune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    966
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Yum! Matthew McConaughey. That's my kind of body. Grrrmrowr. :wink:
    socio: INFp - IEI
    ennea: 4w5 sp/sx

    **********

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
    Only kings, presidents, editors, and people with tapeworms have the right to use the editorial 'we'.

  5. #5
    strrrng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    TIM
    Ni-IEI 4w3 sx/so
    Posts
    8,781
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    If you're limiting it to those two types, I would say ESTj. I think it goes better with their stronger focus on bodily health and the sensory aspect of life in general. That being said, you will probably get an ENTj every now and then who blows others out of the water by being able to set long range goals and implement them willfully. But, on the whole, ESTj is probably a more common type.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

  6. #6
    xyz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    7,709
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elro View Post
    Maybe one case where it might be associated with Te is in a sport where one has to be fit to perform well (or one performs better when one is fit). But bodybuilding just for its own sake isn't necessarily Te, I don't think.
    Elro's right, it's not Te by a long shot. Sides, that's behavior.


    Oh, i mean, behaviour.
    "Those who make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities..."

    - Voltaire

  7. #7
    strrrng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    TIM
    Ni-IEI 4w3 sx/so
    Posts
    8,781
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I don't see why it couldn't just as easily be common to beta ST's. My ESTp friend used to get up every day around 4:45am to train at 5:30am or so before school, and then would train after school as well. He wasn't a bodybuilder, but I think the attitude could easily have positive gains in such a field. Specialization (exhaustive devotion) and (ideological) perfection seem to be common themes to beta - at least when they find something to devote all their time and energy to.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

  8. #8
    Hot Message FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Freiburg im Breisgau
    TIM
    ENTj
    Posts
    15,632
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by strrrng View Post
    I don't see why it couldn't just as easily be common to beta ST's. My ESTp friend used to get up every day around 4:45am to train at 5:30am or so before school, and then would train after school as well. He wasn't a bodybuilder, but I think the attitude could easily have positive gains in such a field. Specialization (exhaustive devotion) and (ideological) perfection seem to be common themes to beta - at least when they find something to devote all their time and energy to.
    Yes, I think Beta STs are the most likely types to be serious about body-building.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

  9. #9
    strrrng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    TIM
    Ni-IEI 4w3 sx/so
    Posts
    8,781
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    Yes, I think Beta STs are the most likely types to be serious about body-building.
    Or any physical endeavor, for that matter. They just seem to have a strong propensity for all-out application, and areas like bodybuilding, martial arts, etc. seem to be the perfect outlet for these.

    At the risk of digression, I would say that your attitude towards biking bears some semblance to the above-mentioned
    4w3-5w6-8w7

  10. #10
    Haikus
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    MI
    TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Posts
    10,060
    Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    That's so hot.

    I don't know though, but I think that makes sense, as I don't value and I lift weights very rarely.

  11. #11
    jessica129's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,122
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Matthew Mcconaughey would be hot if he chopped his head off.

  12. #12
    Darn Socks Director Abbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Southwest USA
    TIM
    LSE
    Posts
    6,728
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by strrrng View Post
    If you're limiting it to those two types, I would say ESTj. I think it goes better with their stronger focus on bodily health and the sensory aspect of life in general. That being said, you will probably get an ENTj every now and then who blows others out of the water by being able to set long range goals and implement them willfully. But, on the whole, ESTj is probably a more common type.
    No. The bottom one would be a candidate for ESTj, but not the top. It's just a big lump of cancer. There's no point to bodybuilding that much. It's wasted effort.

    ESTj
    1w2 sp/so 1-2-6
    Brilliand's Younger Sister
    Squishy's Older Sister

    Johari Nohari

    Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

  13. #13
    aka-kitsune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    966
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    Matthew Mcconaughey would be hot if he chopped his head off.
    Ouch.
    I'm getting the feeling you think he's unattractive...
    socio: INFp - IEI
    ennea: 4w5 sp/sx

    **********

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
    Only kings, presidents, editors, and people with tapeworms have the right to use the editorial 'we'.

  14. #14
    aka-kitsune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    966
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Director Abbie View Post
    No. The bottom one would be a candidate for ESTj, but not the top. It's just a big lump of cancer. There's no point to bodybuilding that much. It's wasted effort.
    Bulging veins are really quite repulsive, IMO.
    socio: INFp - IEI
    ennea: 4w5 sp/sx

    **********

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
    Only kings, presidents, editors, and people with tapeworms have the right to use the editorial 'we'.

  15. #15
    strrrng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    TIM
    Ni-IEI 4w3 sx/so
    Posts
    8,781
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aka-kitsune
    Bulging veins are really quite repulsive, IMO.
    What about veins that protrude but don't bulge, and are only the result of well-defined muscle tone?

    edit: I know that protrude and bulge are synonyms, lol. I just meant veins that are visible but not swelling up or w/e.

  16. #16
    Darn Socks Director Abbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Southwest USA
    TIM
    LSE
    Posts
    6,728
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by strrrng View Post
    What about veins that protrude but don't bulge, and are only the result of well-defined muscle tone?

    edit: I know that protrude and bulge are synonyms, lol. I just meant veins that are visible but not swelling up or w/e.
    I have one on my hand that sticks out sometimes. It's squishy. But people should wear shirts whether they're male or female, slim or fat. Blood veins have nothing to do with it.

    ESTj
    1w2 sp/so 1-2-6
    Brilliand's Younger Sister
    Squishy's Older Sister

    Johari Nohari

    Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

  17. #17
    ...been here longer than the fucking monarchy Ezra's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    UK
    TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Posts
    9,169
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LokiVanguard View Post
    Oh, i mean, behaviour.
    It's satisfactory to see some of you disgusting rebels from the west still retain true loyalty to the Empire.



    Quote Originally Posted by strrrng View Post
    I don't see why it couldn't just as easily be common to beta ST's. My ESTp friend used to get up every day around 4:45am to train at 5:30am or so before school, and then would train after school as well. He wasn't a bodybuilder, but I think the attitude could easily have positive gains in such a field. Specialization (exhaustive devotion) and (ideological) perfection seem to be common themes to beta - at least when they find something to devote all their time and energy to.
    It would only be Beta ST in that the individual's main effort is to acquire territory (people, an ideal, or actual physical landmass).

    Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    That's so hot.
    What, Matthew McConaughey or the massive dude at the top who looks like a mutant?

    Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    Matthew Mcconaughey would be hot if he chopped his head off.
    Hahahahaha.
    Ideas don't determine who's right. Power determines who's right. And I have the power. So I'm right.

  18. #18
    I had words here once, but I didn't feed them Khola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    TIM
    ESE
    Posts
    3,535
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    )
    Wow. Those pants leave very little to the imagination.
    Hello, my name is Bee. Pleased to meet you .



  19. #19
    strrrng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    TIM
    Ni-IEI 4w3 sx/so
    Posts
    8,781
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ezra
    It would only be Beta ST in that the individual's main effort is to acquire territory (people, an ideal, or actual physical landmass).
    No. Se is defined in wikisocion as focused on achieving an object of desire. The goal of becoming ripped/the best/etc. is a perfect example of such a focus.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

  20. #20
    Hot Message FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Freiburg im Breisgau
    TIM
    ENTj
    Posts
    15,632
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by strrrng View Post
    At the risk of digression, I would say that your attitude towards biking bears some semblance to the above-mentioned
    That's right, at least in his more external part, in the sense that the result is exactly the same. The difference I usually found between the way I approach it and the way many ISTjs that are into cycling approach it is:
    - attention to detail (I don't really make very detailed plans of my training and stick to them: I have a general vision on the fitness level I want to reach, and depending on how I feel each day I train harder/softer)
    - emotional investment (I have absolutely zero emotional investment in cycling. I would never call myself a "cyclist" proudly - it's simply something I do, and I like doing, and am good at doing, so why not doing it?)
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

  21. #21
    Mariano Rajoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,120
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post


    Why don't you just ask bionicgoat cause that is his pic.
    LII
    that is what i was getting at. if there is an inescapable appropriation that is required in the act of understanding, this brings into question the validity of socionics in describing what is real, and hence stubborn contradictions that continue to plague me.

  22. #22
    heath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,722
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    i think it's both. body-building is gross and pointless. cardiovascular health will have long term benefits.
    asd

  23. #23
    Creepy-bg

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mariano Rajoy View Post
    Why don't you just ask bionicgoat cause that is his pic.
    actually that's an old pic... I'm much buffer now.

  24. #24
    ...been here longer than the fucking monarchy Ezra's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    UK
    TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Posts
    9,169
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by strrrng View Post
    No. Se is defined in wikisocion as focused on achieving an object of desire. The goal of becoming ripped/the best/etc. is a perfect example of such a focus.
    That's part of it. I wrote a description of Se for the SLE which, without sounding arrogant, I think is quite good. Obviously I can't take credit for the actual content though, because it's basically a compilation of all the best parts of descriptions of Se available.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mariano Rajoy View Post
    Why don't you just ask bionicgoat cause that is his pic.
    Haha.

    Quote Originally Posted by heath View Post
    i think it's both. body-building is gross and pointless. cardiovascular health will have long term benefits.
    Cardiovascular: definitely; everyone should do this at least three times a week. Otherwise they will become fat fucks who live a depressive life. They should be put down.

    Anaerobic/resistance training: actually very helpful for those whose jobs require a fair bit of manual labour. Otherwise, you're right in that it's simply ego-building/confidence-funding (unless of course your job is Mr Universe, LOL. But then the question "how did you get into it in the first place?" could be asked).
    Ideas don't determine who's right. Power determines who's right. And I have the power. So I'm right.

  25. #25
    strrrng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    TIM
    Ni-IEI 4w3 sx/so
    Posts
    8,781
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ezra
    That's part of it. I wrote a description of Se for the SLE which, without sounding arrogant, I think is quite good. Obviously I can't take credit for the actual content though, because it's basically a compilation of all the best parts of descriptions of Se available.
    Ok.

    Cardiovascular: definitely; everyone should do this at least three times a week. Otherwise they will become fat fucks who live a depressive life. They should be put down.
    Three times a week is the bare minimum IMO. If you really want to be in shape, you need to do aerobic (long runs, swimming) and anaerobic (sprint intervals) training to challenge your cardiovascular threshold and enable your body to perform at all possible levels of intensity, in various ways.

    Anaerobic/resistance training: actually very helpful for those whose jobs require a fair bit of manual labour. Otherwise, you're right in that it's simply ego-building/confidence-funding (unless of course your job is Mr Universe, LOL. But then the question "how did you get into it in the first place?" could be asked).
    Depends on the type of resistance training. If you're a construction worker, you probably don't even need to lift; they perform compound lifting every day, and a weight lifting routine would probably fuck up their normal movements. If anything, they could do squats, deadlifts, etc. (compound lifts) a few times a week, preferably 4-5 reps for maximal power. The "ego building" resistance training you speak of comes from doing sets of 8-12 reps, which is purely for hypertrophy and is generally impractical IMO. As for bodybuilders, whatever lol.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

  26. #26
    Hot Message FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Freiburg im Breisgau
    TIM
    ENTj
    Posts
    15,632
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Ezra, don't underestimate the need for pure strength traning. It's not exclusively for ego boosting, but also for relief of muscles that are often underused and misused in sedentary occupations (such as those of the back), and also beneficial for bone density and bone strength. Not to mention that some good level of muscular strength can generally have a positive impact on everyday life activities. Lastly, exclusive aerobic training might have a depressive effect on testosterone levels (if overdone), thus anaerobic training is needed to balance our biochemistry.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

  27. #27
    heath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,722
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post

    Anaerobic/resistance training: actually very helpful for those whose jobs require a fair bit of manual labour. Otherwise, you're right in that it's simply ego-building/confidence-funding (unless of course your job is Mr Universe, LOL. But then the question "how did you get into it in the first place?" could be asked).
    smart people can avoid manual labor by working at desks.
    asd

  28. #28
    strrrng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    TIM
    Ni-IEI 4w3 sx/so
    Posts
    8,781
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    Ezra, don't underestimate the need for pure strength traning. It's not exclusively for ego boosting, but also for relief of muscles that are often underused and misused in sedentary occupations (such as those of the back), and also beneficial for bone density and bone strength. Not to mention that some good level of muscular strength can generally have a positive impact on everyday life activities. Lastly, exclusive aerobic training might have a depressive effect on testosterone levels (if overdone), thus anaerobic training is needed to balance our biochemistry.
    Good point. I agree that too much pure aerobic training is detrimental. Anaerobic training is necessary to constantly challenge your body and avoid plateauing. And yeah, a lot of people need the strength-stability training, to simply improve posture, bone strength and correct kinetic distortions.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

  29. #29
    Hot Message FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Freiburg im Breisgau
    TIM
    ENTj
    Posts
    15,632
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heath View Post
    smart people can avoid manual labor by working at desks.
    desks can avoid smart people by working at manual labor
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

  30. #30
    heath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,722
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by strrrng View Post
    Good point. I agree that too much pure aerobic training is detrimental. Anaerobic training is necessary to constantly challenge your body and avoid plateauing. And yeah, a lot of people need the strength-stability training, to simply improve posture, bone strength and correct kinetic distortions.
    if you run, running hard can increase anaerobic capacity and help build muscle. this is doubly good.
    asd

  31. #31
    ...been here longer than the fucking monarchy Ezra's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    UK
    TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Posts
    9,169
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Ezra, don't underestimate the need for pure strength traning. It's not exclusively for ego boosting, but also for relief of muscles that are often underused and misused in sedentary occupations (such as those of the back), and also beneficial for bone density and bone strength. Not to mention that some good level of muscular strength can generally have a positive impact on everyday life activities. Lastly, exclusive aerobic training might have a depressive effect on testosterone levels (if overdone), thus anaerobic training is needed to balance our biochemistry.
    Yeah, that's true; I didn't think of the health/well-being benefits of it. But surely you can derive these from aerobic exercise?

    Quote Originally Posted by heath View Post
    smart people can avoid manual labor by working at desks.
    What about those who prefer manual labour?
    Ideas don't determine who's right. Power determines who's right. And I have the power. So I'm right.

  32. #32
    heath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,722
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    Yeah, that's true; I didn't think of the health/well-being benefits of it. But surely you can derive these from aerobic exercise?


    What about those who prefer manual labour?
    Manual labor is a nice, necessary idea, but when it the idea of it as work is placed into the existing structure of economy in industrialized nations it leads to health problems due to overexertion and ceaseless schedules. Let's not shit ourselves. lifting boxes all day is not good for you.
    asd

  33. #33
    Jarno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    TIM
    ILI-Te
    Posts
    5,375
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I lift weights about 2 times a week.

  34. #34
    Haikus
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    MI
    TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Posts
    10,060
    Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    I like when guys flex and then kiss their sweaty biceps. That's some hot shit. Or when they do that pecs thing.

  35. #35
    xyz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    7,709
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heath View Post
    Manual labor is a nice, necessary idea, but when it the idea of it as work is placed into the existing structure of economy in industrialized nations it leads to health problems due to overexertion and ceaseless schedules. Let's not shit ourselves. lifting boxes all day is not good for you.
    Neither is running marathons for years on end.
    "Those who make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities..."

    - Voltaire

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •