Thread: Do You Stongly Identifiy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Do You Stongly Identifiy...

with your race/subculture/nationality, or do you tend to find yourself mixing it up?

Topaz
    The artifact which is the source of my power will not be kept on the Mountain of Despair beyond the River of Fire guarded by the Dragons of Eternity. It will be in my safe-deposit box. The same applies to the object which is my one weakness.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't identify at all with my race/subculture/nationality, but neither do I mix it up. I just completely ignore such things, am unaware/oblivious of it.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I were a minority I would probably notice, but I don't even notice my race or nationality, and I'm not sure I'm even in a subculture.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

White people don't have culture.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    LOL

yeah, for a little while I identified with my roots, but it was a phase... When I go to foreign countries and ppl make fun of America, I defend it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    I knew a white guy who only hung out with black folks. He was funny. I tend to have close friends of many different backgrounds. It may also have to do with living in the San Francisco bay area. There are all kinds of people and cultures to explore. Sticking with my own seem kind of boring and limited. I never quite fit in anyway.

Topaz
    The artifact which is the source of my power will not be kept on the Mountain of Despair beyond the River of Fire guarded by the Dragons of Eternity. It will be in my safe-deposit box. The same applies to the object which is my one weakness.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
    with your race/subculture/nationality, or do you tend to find yourself mixing it up?
    You mean, brown?

A little bit. I'm pretty mixed all around though. I read spanish books, but, I like old school classic rock. I love both football and boxing, but hate soccer. I love all types of food, so, that doesn't really count.

In fact, most of the trouble I run into seems to be the clique people. And they come from all colors. Mexicans immediately notice i'm not "mexican" or brown enough, lots asians view me as too laid back, whites just plain don't seem to notice me, or are too busy puking inside their frat houses to notice, indians think i'm indian and are dissapointed when i'm not, etc etc. Keep in mind, these are the clique people.
    "Those who make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities..."

- Voltaire

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LokiVanguard View Post
    You mean, brown?

A little bit. I'm pretty mixed all around though. I read spanish books, but, I like old school classic rock. I love both football and boxing, but hate soccer. I love all types of food, so, that doesn't really count.

In fact, most of the trouble I run into seems to be the clique people. And they come from all colors. Mexicans immediately notice i'm not "mexican" or brown enough, lots asians view me as too laid back, whites just plain don't seem to notice me, or are too busy puking inside their frat houses to notice, indians think i'm indian and are dissapointed when i'm not, etc etc. Keep in mind, these are the clique people.
    Im down with brown . I know what you mean. Im actually turned off by stereotypes and people who live them out. I just go where the spirit moves me. I just notice that my comfort zone seems much wider than some around me.

Topaz

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have come to the conclusion that identity is an illusion. I am simply I, and everything else is a construct.
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by consentingadult View Post
    I have come to the conclusion that identity is an illusion. I am simply I, and everything else is a construct.
    That being said, I just realized that it's still difficult to engage in interaction with a lot of other people, especially since most of them do hang on to their 'identities'.
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

***el X Mercenary
    TIM
    Te-ISTp
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by snegledmaca View Post
    I don't identify at all with my race/subculture/nationality, but neither do I mix it up. I just completely ignore such things, am unaware/oblivious of it.
    Same here.

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tend to be most comfortable with the familiar and I find myself settling into that a lot, but at times I appreciate and seek out the new. That goes for a lot of things, including culture, probably.

...There are so many cultures and subcultures - anywhere from the global one (which is different than it was a thousand years ago) down to each family's unique micro-culture. (<-- apologies if I used that word wrongly)
    Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I definitely mix it up. This is probably because I never had a strong sense of "national/racial" identity because I have always grown around people who did not have the same appearance as me. Actually, due to this I did not really know what I looked like when I was younger with respect to race, although it is obvious.

Note:

I think this is a good example of how aristocracy can appreciate individuals though they may look at people as 'groups.' We are aware of the different groups we are associated with and appreciate both the 'group' and the 'individual.'

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Delta/Gammas tend to be the type that would be the most open to different races/culture and Alphas/Betas the least.

Not to say that ALpha/Beta are close minded, they tend to prefer more of their similar while Delta/Gamma prefer to be more of the dissimilar.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tend to hold cosmopolitan views.

Do You Strongly Identify...
    No.

Yes.

That being said, I just realized that it's still difficult to engage in interaction with a lot of other people, especially since most of them do hang on to their 'identities'.
    True.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by betterthandead View Post
    I think Delta/Gammas tend to be the type that would be the most open to different races/culture and Alphas/Betas the least.

Not to say that ALpha/Beta are close minded, they tend to prefer more of their similar while Delta/Gamma prefer to be more of the dissimilar.
    hmmm I'm not so sure. Some the most open people I know are Beta NFs. I think irrational types tend to be more tolerant of the unfamiliar than rational types, but that's just my hunch.

Topaz

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Yeah I hate this shit man.

It's not that I'm gay it's...

I have some people pressuring me to be a gay activist. Other people want me to be a 'str8-actin dude' that just likes sports (barf) other people don't think you're really gay unless you do this or wear that. Other people are certain I'm not really gay including my own family members that are homophobic and don't understand that I am, and they just need to get over it. But then it's like the media tries to make it this campy and likeable thing because it *is* so dire and serious it's like the only way they know how to handle it. Weaklings. I had this SUPER faggy gay guy talk to me once and he was really rude to me, and then he thought we could be like soulmate sisters or something and I'm like "You ASSHOLE. You were RUDE to people, and it's because you are a douche not because you are gay..."

Then I have people who think I don't know how to seduce a woman just cause I like cock like wtf. Why do girls discriminate against men sexually like that? Oh my god feminist sucks when it gets out of hand! I love fucking with girl's heads sometimes because it shouldn't make you like a guy any less if they like dick too. I know how to stay faithful if I'm actually in a relationship.

As one of my good ENFp teacher friends used to say to people "You're spreading your ignorance."

I like being a hybrid, so fuck you.

Also what is up with some ******s whining about being a ****** but then when us fags want our basic human rights suddenly you have to act all angry. Oh my god that shit is tiresome and beyond hypocritical. Our very own mayor acts like that. He needs to be challenged directly. Now see, I'm just as fault because I want other gay people to be as confrontational as me so I guess we all try to change each other.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I identify with my beliefs and my personality type. When the topic of nationality comes up, I blurt out, "I'm 50% Volgadeutch, 12.5% English, 6.25% Bohemion, and 31.25% German."

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by betterthandead View Post

I'm not sure how much something like that can be generalised. Surely it is more about the subjective experiences of the individuals rather than linked to quadra values. One can be taught, through experience or by education, to be open to or suspicious of other races and cultures.

In my own experience, my ethnic background is from two completely different cultures/races. My upbringing has been far more about valuing one of those cultures, and that one is not the dominant one in Australia. I have always felt strongly culturally 'other' - both at home here in Sydney, and when I travel overseas, be it to the 'homelands' of either of my ethnic backgrounds or elsewhere. That feeling of dislocation makes you far more alive to the value of other cultures and what that diversity brings.

The life choices I have so far made could not be described as my seeking environment where I would be surrounded by 'similar' people in terms of race and gender. I have consciously gone into fields because I love the subjects, not because I in any way feel at home with the other people there. Sometimes I do, sometimes I do not - but that would hold little sway over my choice to be involved in them.

If you were suggesting that Betas look to 'fit in' then perhaps there is something in that claim. For a long time, I believed I was Delta - and a large part of that I think is because of the very Delta nature of values in Australia. We seem to prize the she'll-be-right-mate laid-back kind of lifestyle, emphasising a 'fair go' and being a good person. And I've inevitably internalised that, from growing up and attending school here. Is it a choice to accept the dominant values of your society? Perhaps. But if you do not, you can get labelled as 'un-Australian', which is a fairly loaded term here, and one you can easily recognise as something which will get you socially punished. If you don't share the dominant Delta values around here, well, you're likely to be looked at with some suspicion and perhaps termed un-Australian. How open to difference is that? (I would look to examples in politics and public life for this point, rather than my own.) And for all that I've posed that question, I don't actually think it has anything to do with quadra values.

I don't know if this is going to be a controversial statement or not, but I believe that tolerance is something that is learnt, not something that is innate.
    allez cuisine!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by idolatrie View Post
    I don't know if this is going to be a controversial statement or not, but I believe that tolerance is something that is learnt, not something that is innate.
    I rather agree. The point of this thread was not to point fingers at any particular group. It was meant for individuals to share their own preferences and attitudes. As demonstrated by what some have said hear there are numerous ways of looking at the situation depending on the individuals personal experience. Some are strongly affected by their culture/race/subculture, others either give it no thought whatsoever, others have difficulty really identifying their culture/race/subculture. Some see it as a construct that keeps people apart and impedes real progress that can be attained through shared knowledge and experiences.

Topaz