Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Is introversion ok?

  1. #1
    mimisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    821
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Is introversion ok?

    I'd like to rediscuss this

    Quote Originally Posted by schrodinger's cat
    I recalled an interesting theory that might perhaps be helpful here. It's on http://www.benziger.org/content/view/8/27/ . Other thoughts on extraversion/introversion can be found on http://greenlightwiki.com/lenore-exegesis/Extraverted . What the Benziger article says is mainly that introverts' brains are wired in a way that makes them really sensitive to stimulation of all kinds. If an introvert's brain gets too much stimulation, he needs to minimize the amount of stimulation he gets. That's why he searches out "filtered environments" (that is Lenore Thompson's term). Those can be a small group of close friends; solitude; a particular area of interest; even a stage. Familiar situations are less stimulating than new ones, because experiences just repeat themselves and fall into familiar patterns.

    It's a bit more objective than saying that introverts "live inside their heads", or rather, it helps to explain what is meant by that.

    So does this mean introverts are less adapted to life?

    And what do you think about the E/I rate? 75% to 25%? I don't know what to believe concerning the last question. Some MBTI statistics show it's 50-50, but then..hmm.. does this really be possible?? I am really on coals. Will we ever know? And why do the results are so different from the classical 75-25 percentage? Now this is really confusing.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    westfield, nj usa
    Posts
    529
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Is introversion ok?

    Quote Originally Posted by gugu_ baba
    I'd like to rediscuss this

    Quote Originally Posted by schrodinger's cat
    I recalled an interesting theory that might perhaps be helpful here. It's on http://www.benziger.org/content/view/8/27/ . Other thoughts on extraversion/introversion can be found on http://greenlightwiki.com/lenore-exegesis/Extraverted . What the Benziger article says is mainly that introverts' brains are wired in a way that makes them really sensitive to stimulation of all kinds. If an introvert's brain gets too much stimulation, he needs to minimize the amount of stimulation he gets. That's why he searches out "filtered environments" (that is Lenore Thompson's term). Those can be a small group of close friends; solitude; a particular area of interest; even a stage. Familiar situations are less stimulating than new ones, because experiences just repeat themselves and fall into familiar patterns.

    It's a bit more objective than saying that introverts "live inside their heads", or rather, it helps to explain what is meant by that.

    So does this mean introverts are less adapted to life?

    And what do you think about the E/I rate? 75% to 25%? I don't know what to believe concerning the last question. Some MBTI statistics show it's 50-50, but then..hmm.. does this really be possible?? I am really on coals. Will we ever know? And why do the results are so different from the classical 75-25 percentage? Now this is really confusing.
    no. it just depends on how you view or define life.

    the stats may be off, since people don't know how to answer questions properly, the stats are always off. like there seems to be an abundance of INTJ's online. and while the theory that nerdy mind types would mostly likely be online and testing themselves to death does hold water. i think many mistype themselves.

    but what it says in the article is true. i will simply avoid those places - which can be everywhere. it makes it hard to find new friends or relationships.

    i think the best way to describe the feeling to an extravert (not sure if your one or not):

    your in a large room, surrounded by TV's. hundreds of TV's. each one on a different station, in a different language, all at different sound levels. lights are flashing on the cieling like a disco. and dozens if not more people are surrounding you asking everything all at once. you yourself had too much caffeinne, and hadn't slept for 6 days. your over sensitive, over stimulated, tired, and everything freaks you out because you can't take it all in.

    it's something like that, depending on place.

    my cafeteria - i can hear almost everything. my mind clicks down to a groggy middle dream state - i don't like it. it's very tiring. i have to get out as soon as i'm done.

    overall i would say there are a lot less I's to E's. so many ask me why i don't join them. why i'm not talking up a storm. why i don't like to dance, why i don't like people, etc. they simply can't grasp that concept.

  3. #3
    UDP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    East Coast West Coast Dirty South
    TIM
    LSE
    Posts
    14,826
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Post subject: Is introversion ok?
    the hell?


    Of course it's okay. It's better than okay - it's perfectly fine. It's integral, neccesary. Diversity is neccesary for proper human progress.


    There's nothing wrong with learning how to enjoy dancing, though. Or sex. But that is somewhat irrelevant to the main point here of this thread, and my post. (but I'm horny and incollege, so what do you expect?)



    INtroversion is great. As long as you can balance it out a little, and keep in touch with reality. (Just like extroversion is great, aslong as you keep in touch with the inner you, etc etc etc etc).

    *insert typical argument here*
    Pre-2013 post are written with incomplete understanding.

  4. #4
    Creepy-pokeball

    Default

    It works as long as you keep healthy as an individual and seek other areas that you require, and, of course, do not use it as an excuse. For example, it would be the same as an E saying that it's okay for them to talk nons-stop, be intrusive and just plain and simply be annoying "because theyre an extrovert." So, ya, it can be "okay" for either.

  5. #5
    schrödinger's cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    TIM
    IEE
    Posts
    1,186
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Of course it's OK to be an introvert! And of course introverts are adapted to life... it just depends on the kind of life you want to adapt to.

    Aren't the USA in general pretty extraverted? I've read that extraverted behaviour (whatever that is) is seen as "normal"/"useful" etc., while the introverts are an embattled minority who have to defend themselves constantly. ("No, I don't hate people. No, I'm not lethargic. No, I... oh, just shut up.") So that is true?

    Where I'm from it's the other way round. My country is much more introverted than the States, and the area my family is from is still more introverted. So it's "no, I'm not shallow. Nor unable to concentrate either, thank you very much. Yes, I love to go out and meet people. No, that's not because I'm unable to let myself be enough for me. No, I've got nothing against quiet evenings by the fireside. But this is the seventeenth quiet evening in a row. I want a loud evening!" and so on.

    Introverts are simply able to make the most of the experiences they have. They're sensitive and perceptive. They don't need to rush around from one new experience to the next, because they can fully appreciate the kind of experiences they've got. They're focussed. Some quotes?

    When we dare to be really quiet we can come very close to our selves and the worlds innermost being. - James Carroll

    Without going outside, you may know the whole world. - Lao Tzu

    There is a hell - to be alone. And a heaven - to be able to be it.
    - Paul Bjerre

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    TIM
    LII
    Posts
    437
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    how about these:

    Learn this from water: loud splashes the brook but the ocean depths are calm - Buddha

    No one would talk much in society, if he knew how often he misunderstands others - Goethe

    To be alone is better than being with fools - Pra Thepkavi

    All sorrow has its roots in man's inability to sit quiet in a room by himself - Blaise Pascal

  7. #7
    Creepy-pokeball

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by schrödinger's cat
    Of course it's OK to be an introvert! And of course introverts are adapted to life... it just depends on the kind of life you want to adapt to.

    Aren't the USA in general pretty extraverted? I've read that extraverted behaviour (whatever that is) is seen as "normal"/"useful" etc., while the introverts are an embattled minority who have to defend themselves constantly. ("No, I don't hate people. No, I'm not lethargic. No, I... oh, just shut up.") So that is true?

    Where I'm from it's the other way round. My country is much more introverted than the States, and the area my family is from is still more introverted. So it's "no, I'm not shallow. Nor unable to concentrate either, thank you very much. Yes, I love to go out and meet people. No, that's not because I'm unable to let myself be enough for me. No, I've got nothing against quiet evenings by the fireside. But this is the seventeenth quiet evening in a row. I want a loud evening!" and so on.

    Introverts are simply able to make the most of the experiences they have. They're sensitive and perceptive. They don't need to rush around from one new experience to the next, because they can fully appreciate the kind of experiences they've got. They're focussed. Some quotes?

    When we dare to be really quiet we can come very close to our selves and the worlds innermost being. - James Carroll

    Without going outside, you may know the whole world. - Lao Tzu

    There is a hell - to be alone. And a heaven - to be able to be it.
    - Paul Bjerre
    I think that the expectation is to be that way here but different areas vary which I think has a lot to do with climate. It's a little more slow here in the Pacific Northwest. Long, dark and rainy winters tend to have a novacaine effect on people here When I was in Phoenix passing through when I was a lot younger I remember feeling anxious because things were just all electrical-impulse like in people's behaviors. It was definitely too much for me. It also seems to do with general attitude, for example Portland is (or was, Im sure it still is) one one of the friendliest city lists. People are, in general, very nice here. It's calm here in contrast to other places for sure. However, visit a Starbucks or anything of the like and you will see how active people are carrying on with their bad ass selves :wink: I hope that gives you a small piece of the persective of the whole that is the US. Im sure other posters can offer their pearls of perspective, too.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    M-H λ
    Posts
    2,609
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    over time you can become resistant to any form of stimulation

  9. #9
    Creepy-pokeball

    Default

    Indeed. Well, to a degree I'd assume.

  10. #10
    mimisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    821
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    dstf bs dstf

  11. #11
    Creepy-Diana

    Default

    .

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    110
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I was attempting to stay awake Saturday, to watch Abraham Lincoln, on the History Channel. I recall one commentator referencing to Lincoln as having "forced introversion". I had never heard that term, but inferred that due to circumstances, a person may become introverted as a preventive measure. This would be conducive to extraverts, so to answer the question, good for introverts, horrific for extraverts.

  13. #13
    UDP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    East Coast West Coast Dirty South
    TIM
    LSE
    Posts
    14,826
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Diana
    It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion, it is easy in solitude to live after your own; but the great man is he who, in the midst of the world, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude.

    --Ralph Waldo Emerson

    -----
    I love that quote. I think I'll go read a little Emerson, be back later.

    Almost made me drool. That should be like an INTj motto or something.
    Pre-2013 post are written with incomplete understanding.

  14. #14
    mimisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    821
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    dstf nonesense dstf

  15. #15
    Creepy-

    Default

    gugu_baba, you've inspired me to post a related-yet-unrelated thread. Sometime in the not-too-distant future, lol.

    Btw, it's OK to be an introvert :wink:

    I just remind myself that the extroverts are probably acting out of compassion when they try to "convert" me

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    North
    Posts
    567
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Introversion is generally good. I mean, looking at the extraverts (And even the less introverted introverts), they seem to be running around like so many decapitated specimens of gallus gallus. Personally, I prefer to be the watcher: detached yet involved; seeing it all from the sidelines, unbiased, but able to stretch a hand in to guide things where I want them to go. Extraverts are brooks. I'm a thundercloud. The brook is more lively, and effectuates unceasing wearing of the terrain, while the cloud is serene and mysterious, but when it decides to intervene...!

    Of course, the extravert would rather compare the butterfly and the rock...

    PS: Please note that I'm using the "social definition", not the correct one.
    Beware! Nerd genes on the prowl.

    INFj - The Holy CPU Saint
    Dishonorary INFp
    Baah

    (Very good place for emoticons. Right-click on the one you want and select "properties" for direct link)

  17. #17
    Creepy-pokeball

    Default

    You can do both. I do anyways.

  18. #18
    UDP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    East Coast West Coast Dirty South
    TIM
    LSE
    Posts
    14,826
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jadae
    You can do both. I do anyways.
    sexy :wink:


    Pre-2013 post are written with incomplete understanding.

  19. #19
    mimisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    821
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ishysquishy
    gugu, you've inspired me to post a related-yet-unrelated thread. Sometime in the not-too-distant future, lol.

    Btw, it's OK to be an introvert :wink:

    I just remind myself that the extroverts are probably acting out of compassion when they try to "convert" me
    I'm very happy, then. I'll be all eyes and ears ^^ Yes, I feel the same others try to change me, but I just want to be me, I don't want to change, damnit. Why does introverts and extroverts have to be conflicting?

  20. #20
    Creepy-pokeball

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UDP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jadae
    You can do both. I do anyways.
    sexy :wink:


    whoa lol.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •