Thread: Math and ENfps

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Math and ENfps

Are Enfps good at math? have you known anyone ENFp who was.
    ENTP:wink:ALPHA

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, I've known a few who were brilliant at pure math. They didn't choose it as a major, though, because they sort of didn't have the patience for all the rigor required (maybe too much Ti?). They were exceptionally good at the sort of lateral thinking needed in a lot of the problems though (i think bc of their strong Ne/Ni).
    EII; E6(w5)

i am flakey

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i used to be quite good at math in my high school days
    ENTP:wink:ALPHA

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

already met an architect ENFp (tiny_dancer.) maybe ritella has a point that it can be more or less related to Ne/Ni as opposed to being something only T's can do.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have software engineering bachelors degree and would have to deal with maths quite a lot. Some of it i liked, some i did not but i wasn't bad for sure. I was very good at maths in school, was too lazy in university to put any importance on math subjects would usually learn just enough to get by (or not learn at all and get by ).

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default x

Being "good" at something doesn't depend on socionics type, IQ ,gender, etc
    To be good at something demands hard work above anything else...
    ...but of course some traits make it easier for some people to get out there
    ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They may score high on their tests but it's all in some kind of sick humanitorian way. Their solutions isn't beutiful, they spit in the mouth of derivation and kick algebra in the balls.
    I will not aim for the head.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I think anybody can be good at something if they find their own way to approach it and work at it. I couldn't ever be passionate about math, but I got by fairly well. I find it tedious and I *really* hate going back through my work to find the problems. Guess that would be my lack of attention to detail hamstringing me.
    IEE

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was quite good in math from elementary school through high school. It was by far my favorite subject. My college degree is in electrical engineering. Though I did well in that degree, my enjoyment of math diminished greatly during this time.

I like math/logic puzzles to this day, but I consider it a passing hobby.

Edit: I was *ahem* encouraged to get Math and Physics degrees while I was pursuing my EE degree (the justification being that I most likely wasn't far away from getting them because of the math requirements in EE), and I always said I'd consider it, but in my heart I didn't want to do it. I didn't have the motivation to go for it, and I was going through a rough patch of classes that made my question my abilities and potential to be an engineer.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that skills in math and science relate more to intuition than logic. I have a degree in computer science, and when I correctly solved problems, it was due more to a single breakthrough or insight than an analysis of all the facts. That's why I think that calling NTs "researchers" is a dubious distinction. There are probably too many great researchers in all fields who are not NTs to distinguish them as being a researcher type.

Jason

TIM
    it's so pretty type
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have always been good at math and liked it too! To me math was a language, but it was hmmm...more open to space and time and my imagination.

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From a non-sensor, non-thinker perspective:

I've always hated math, and it's only been through rigorous rote drilling that I've been able to feel confident before taking tests, though that tendency to almost over-study has meant that I've usually scored quite high (once I was the only kid in my grade to get 100% on a long test, which made me feel speshul).

But bleh. I hate it.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by implied View Post
    already met an architect ENFp (tiny_dancer.) maybe ritella has a point that it can be more or less related to Ne/Ni as opposed to being something only T's can do.
    Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that Math aptitude is related to Ne/Ni (and as a side note, architects don't do the type of math to which i was referring). I have seen a range of types that have been very good at Math. I don't really think aptitude in any subject is functional related. At most, I think that the way in which a person interprets an area of study- the questions on which he focuses, the arguments he makes, etc.- will be related to the person's Ego (and probably Role) functions.
    For example, I think Ne/Ni types are more often attracted to pure or theoretical Math (e.g., abstract algebra, topology, real/complex analysis, graph theory), whereas Se/Si types seem to like more "concrete" math (e.g., applied math, statistics). And I would say that generally the only difference between an F and a T type in Math is how "fulfilled" the person is by doing the subject. F types can be very good at Math, but it requires them to live in their Role function quite a bit, so it can be tiring and depressing after awhile.
    I also have a small speculation that Ne egos prefer pure Math topics such as abstract algebra and number theory, whereas Ni egos prefer discrete Math (such as combinatorics and graph theory). The sample set from which I'm drawing this hypothesis is, however, influenced by current trends in Math and the country of the person's origin, so if any N ego types have had extensive exposure to both and can give me their preference, that'd be cool.
    EII; E6(w5)

i am flakey

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh I know some ENFps that are pretty good at maths, but many that don't have the patience
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit