Thread: INTjs: Are you optimistic?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default INTjs: Are you optimistic?

I think I am optimistic, though I tell to your face I'm not.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm quite pessimistic, but it really depends on the situation. I try to be neutral between them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exactly. That's what I am talking about, that I try to convince others and myself that I am neither optimistic neither pessimistic, but secretly I am imagining the most unrealistic favourable outcomes. Don't you feel the same? I think intjs are quite optimistic people, though I am sure others won't believe it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: INTjs: Are you optimistic?

Quote Originally Posted by gugu_ baba
    I think I am optimistic, though I tell to your face I'm not.
    define optimistic? and from who's view point?

i will look towards the future and see many possibilities - most of them bad. however i see some good ones as well, so you could say i'm optimistic.

on the other hand, i tend to focus on flaws on everything including myself. and i can come off as pessamistic.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exactly. That's what I am talking about, that I try to convince others and myself that I am neither optimistic neither pessimistic, but secretly I am imagining the most unrealistic favourable outcomes. Don't you feel the same? I think intjs are quite optimistic people, though I am sure others won't believe it.
    i think it stems down to what other people are. many people are optimistic without reason. they assume everything will go there way, and not dwell on the negative.

where as we do look at the negative, but we also see the positive. we plan for the future, and in order to plan we have to see many bad outcomes so your ready for them.

it's funny when people tell you "mike, why are you preparing for the worst?" - and when the worst happens, either they tell me i'm clairevoyant (sp) - pshchic, or just amazing. that i happen to have prepared for whatever event that comes up. like having an umbrella just in case it rains. for me it's common sense. for other's it's a stroke a genius.

plan for the worst, hope for the best. be prepare for anything. weigh out the probabilites of likely events, you can't prepare for everything. you can prepare yourself for fire, storms, and maybe even earth quakes. it's not pessimistic to think of things like that - is it?

ideally - pessimistic = always seeming the dark half, never seeing the light. never seem like your happy, always complaining, etc.

optimistic - a blind faith that everything will go your way no matter what.

you need both halves - someone pessimistic is not really much fun to have around. someone blindly optimistic, is annoying and a bit dumb.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not depressed about things, nor pessimistic. Nor do I feel to be greatly ...... happy, or whatever.

I consider it as being beyond "happy" or "unhappy". It's somewhat irrelevant.
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UDP
    I am not depressed about things, nor pessimistic. Nor do I feel to be greatly ...... happy, or whatever.

I consider it as being beyond "happy" or "unhappy". It's somewhat irrelevant.
    yeah, i've long forgot what happy actually is or means. if i don't smile, i appear unhappy - which i might be. though usually i'm neither one. i'm happy for a fleeting moment, but it doesn't last long, and i'm not sure how to keep that thought up. it's usually easier to go into a comotose state and drive my mind out of reality. of course on the outside the other's start waving their hands in front of me to wake me out of my trance. i guess people don't want me to be happy after all....

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is an ingrained pleasantness in neutrality, in my opinion. There is no pressure either way, so it just is. Reminds me of some Zen studies..
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Creepy-pokeball

Quote Originally Posted by mike_INTJ
    you need both halves - someone pessimistic is not really much fun to have around. someone blindly optimistic, is annoying and a bit dumb.
    Could one say that being overly pessimistic is equally dumb or that someone overly optimistic is equally annoying?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jadae
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_INTJ
    Could one say that being overly pessimistic is equally dumb or that someone overly optimistic is equally annoying?
    i guess so. a balance is needed.

someone who only see's darkness isn't much good to anyone - they aren't being rational - only doom.

a positive person may not see harm in something. or they may deny that it exists. it may be the reason why managers don't really know what they are doing. they see the good side of something, stop thinking, and let's it play out.

i try to weigh all the options. if it rains, use an umbrella. wear boots, wear a jacket. or atleast bring it along.

i went on a cruise, i asked a TON of questions. they all told me just to enjoy myself, have a good time. they said it, mostly because they didn't know the answers themselves. i would have really hated it if i didn't come prepared like i did. i planned it out so i would have less disappointment. but from their view, i was being negative.

so yeah, being too positive is just as bad as being too negative. either side is blinded to the other half.

Creepy-pokeball

2 points.

1. Does it have to be rational to be good?

2. The outcome could have been negative for you. But their perception is not yours so they may have been perceiving for themselves and how much they really cared for your concern. I dunno, if I worked for something like that (which I certainly couldnt unless I had to) I'd be thinking, "Geezus, let me out of here. Oh look a customer. *nods a lot* Yeah sure buddy, whatever you need. Just dont get me fired even though this job blows~"

That's obviously just one possible scenario but I hope you see my point in that it may not be positive or negative but rather self-fulfilling to the one perceiving.

Creepy-Diana

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it rains, find a hot (gender of choice) girl and make out in the rain.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 points.

1. Does it have to be rational to be good?

I don't know. I almost want to say "yes", it does. For me. There has to be some sort of a ..... connection or something, I don't know. which is kind of.... foolish, because there is always a connection somehow, so...... hmm.

"good" is a meaningless word, relative, and all that. But still, I prefer rational things. (obviously)

Creepy-pokeball

Exactly! So how could that be universal for everyone? I seriously need to make my points faster =/

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exactly! So how could that be universal for everyone? I seriously need to make my points faster =/

What are you, specifically, talking about?

Creepy-pokeball

Optimism and Pessimism as dichotomies in universal appeal to everyone. And the variability of what is "good" or "bad" to one and not to another--although you will find cultural agreeances but that may form part of one's perception that do not make things universal cross-culturally. So maybe one is not being positive or negative at all to begin with but self-fulfilling instead and the only true positive or negative is their own subjective perception.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Optimism and Pessimism as dichotomies in universal appeal to everyone. And the variability of what is "good" or "bad" to one and not to another--although you will find cultural agreeances but that may form part of one's perception that do not make things universal cross-culturally. So maybe one is not being positive or negative at all to begin with but self-fulfilling instead and the only true positive or negative is their own subjective perception.
    Yes. I can agree with that.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It really depends what you're talking about.
    "To become is just like falling asleep. You never know exactly when it happens, the transition, the magic, and you think, if you could only recall that exact moment of crossing the line then you would understand everything; you would see it all"

"Angels dancing on the head of a pin dissolve into nothingness at the bedside of a dying child."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People, I mean optimistic in general. Why should we disecate the whole meaning out of it? I just need a conclusion. Are INTjs optimistic or not? or is just me...and the crazy ideas in my mind..

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not even neatly-cut, categorical archetypes fit other neatly-cut, categorical archetypes that easy, Baba.
    "To become is just like falling asleep. You never know exactly when it happens, the transition, the magic, and you think, if you could only recall that exact moment of crossing the line then you would understand everything; you would see it all"

"Angels dancing on the head of a pin dissolve into nothingness at the bedside of a dying child."

Creepy-pokeball

The Ti/Ne I know irl is optimistic... and pessimistic. Those attitudes are about different things, which, believe or not, is much like most people.

However, if Ti is the dark side of the rotating moon then Fe is it's sunlit counterpart that relieves it (and vice versa, of course) for whatever reasons but even then I see ample amounts of both unless the person is either depressed or highly glib/fake.

I dont think you'll get a clear answer on this from me--sorry.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont think you'll get a clear answer on this from me--sorry.
    Oh, but there are ways to make you talk.

(dammit, where's the evil icons!(

Creepy-pokeball

I accept paypal bribes =/

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I accept paypal bribes =/
    I'll keep that in mind

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People, I mean optimistic in general. Why should we disecate the whole meaning out of it? I just need a conclusion. Are INTjs optimistic or not? or is just me...and the crazy ideas in my mind..
    Well, if it means anything, I think you sound optimistic. It could depend on what your general motivation is.
    Logical-Intuitive Extravert (ENTj)
    TeNi

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's hard to explain. as with so many things about me, it's rarely black or white, this or that. verbally and outwardly i would say that to most people i seem highly pessimistic, but if you watch my actions, they are the actions of an optimistic person. i almost expect to fail at certain things, because the odds are stacked so high against me, but i keep going as though i will win despite the odds - which also happens pretty often.

i think it's because i see many possibilities, and when most of them are bad, i tend to grow pessimistic because of the statistical likelihood of failure. but i also see the good possibilities, which keeps alive the optimism. and when i actually have to take action, i fix my focus on the good possibilities, while knowing the (unfavourable) odds. either it helps me beat the odds, or at least makes me feel like it helps.

when i'm really stumped, i try to listen. i think it's a last-ditch effort to coax my dormant Ni to pitch in. but i'm not so good at that yet. sometimes it has something to say without being asked, mostly it's annoyingly silent when i need it. or maybe my Ne is drowning it out.

Creepy-pokeball

Sounds realistic on that level to me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kirana
    it's hard to explain. as with so many things about me, it's rarely black or white, this or that. verbally and outwardly i would say that to most people i seem highly pessimistic, but if you watch my actions, they are the actions of an optimistic person. i almost expect to fail at certain things, because the odds are stacked so high against me, but i keep going as though i will win despite the odds - which also happens pretty often.
    I can always rely on Kirana explaining things around. you seem pessimistic, but you are optimistic in essence, isn't it? I realize it's difficult for others to understand, eh, it's an intj thing=p Oh good so it seems we are lucky people also, I'd like to believe that, in spite of the whining and bitching all the time.

Creepy-pokeball

I understand it

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so we are like the hobbits? we endure through difficult circumstances in spite of all the odds nearly dictating a negative end result? if that is what you are referring to then i would agree

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro-the-Lion
    so we are like the hobbits? we endure through difficult circumstances in spite of all the odds nearly dictating a negative end result? if that is what you are referring to then i would agree
    Yeah, I'd agree with that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Then I agree too. Let's have a group hug!!

Creepy-msk

There is an ingrained pleasantness in neutrality, in my opinion. There is no pressure either way, so it just is. Reminds me of some Zen studies..
    maybe, maybe not. being at peace sort of connotes that you were tortured or distressed before.

so i think if you are totally neutral you kind of wouldnt feel anything. haha.

answering the question: i think i am optimistic in that i think that there are things you can do, in general, to better a situation. But that doesn't stop me from being super sensitive and pained at life issues.

Creepy-msk

maybe, maybe not. being at peace sort of connotes that you were tortured or distressed before.

so i think if you are totally neutral you kind of wouldnt feel anything. haha.

answering the question: i think i am optimistic in that i think that there are things you can do, in general, to better a situation. But that doesn't stop me from being super sensitive and pained at life issues.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmm...