Thread: Types and activism

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Types and activism

Do you think certain types are innately better at activism (whatever the cause - it could even be malignant or counterproductive I suppose) than others. And if so what types?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We discussed this briefly at Socionics Workshop a while ago.

I think activism requires a certain sense of Se (and probably some Ni, too). Fe is very useful in rallying people to a cause, so I think EIEs have an innate activist style about them.

Beta, basically.

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd say: any type, thus not type related. People typically stand up and fight for what they believe in if they experience something as a serious problem.

There is a famous example of this in social-psychology. Once, they did a study amongst two groups of students, who didn't know they were subject of a study. Each of these groups was presented with a debate between two people, who were taking two positions
    on the question of a neighborhood undergoing changes as to the infrastructure. One debater took the position of being against it, but not being very articulate in defending his position, the other being for all the changes, and being able to bring across his POV very well.

The first group consisted of students who didn't live in that neighborhood (thus had nothing at stake), and as hypothesized, went along with the argumentation of the most convincing debater, which happened to be the one who was in favor of the new plans.

The second group consisted of student that did live in that neighborhood, and who's life would definitively be affected by the proposed changes. This group was most defensive and sided with the debater who was against the changes, despite being lousy at debating.

Long story short (and this is one of my mottoes): a problem is not a problem until someone experiences it as a problem, and it is not until then that people jump into action to get it resolved.

Any type is capable of activism, provided they experience a problem that affects them.

That being said, people who score high on the FFM neuroticism scale, are more likely to be activists for the sake of activism. And according to some, ENFJs (MBTI-style) are amongst those who are highest in neuroticism.
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by consentingadult View Post
    I'd say: any type, thus not type related. People typically stand up and fight for what they believe in if they experience something as a serious problem.
    I disagree. As well as there being cowards, who they come in all types and subtypes (obviously not type-related, then), there are also certain types (offering a type-related aspect to the mix) who lack initiative and the courage to do things which other types do, no matter how serious they believe a problem is. For example, there may be an ILI who sees some great injustice in the world, and yet who does nothing about it, because they feel it would be futile.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    I disagree. As well as there being cowards, who they come in all types and subtypes (obviously not type-related, then), there are also certain types (offering a type-related aspect to the mix) who lack initiative and the courage to do things which other types do, no matter how serious they believe a problem is. For example, there may be an ILI who sees some great injustice in the world, and yet who does nothing about it, because they feel it would be futile.

I agree: ILIs are typically not only great skeptics but often also low in neuroticism, although not as low as SLIs
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by consentingadult View Post
    I agree: ILIs are typically not only great skeptics but often also low in neuroticism, although not as low as SLIs
    The thing about SLIs is that even though they don't value Se, they are good at it, and so if they witnessed an injustice, no doubt they would force themselves to take action.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    The thing about SLIs is that even though they don't value Se, they are good at it, and so if they witnessed an injustice, no doubt they would force themselves to take action.

Witnessed injustice done to themselves, to other people or both?

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any type can be activist, however certain types not related to classical socionics set the example for activism. (those being the immanents, because only the immanents have either nothing to gain (substantively speaking) from the activism (the case of the saint), or everything to lose from the activity being protested. (the case of the radical). Well, most radicals anyhow.