TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Tao Te Ching

Is anyone familiar with it's teachings?

I just read a bit of it... and I have to say that I've never seen anything so Ne/Si.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tao_Te_Ching

The Tao Te Ching, also known by its pinyin romanization Daode Jing, is a Chinese classic text traditionally credited to the 6th-century BC sage Laozi. The text's authorship, date of composition and date of compilation are debated. The oldest excavated portion dates back to the late 4th century BC, but modern scholarship dates other parts of the text as having been written—or at least compiled—later than the earliest portions of the Zhuangzi.

The Tao Te Ching, along with the Zhuangzi, is a fundamental text for both philosophical and religious Taoism. It also strongly influenced other schools of Chinese philosophy and religion, including Legalism, Confucianism, and Buddhism, which was largely interpreted through the use of Taoist words and concepts when it was originally introduced to China. Many Chinese artists, including poets, painters, calligraphers, and gardeners, have used the Tao Te Ching as a source of inspiration. Its influence has spread widely outside East Asia and it is among the most translated works in world literature.

The Tao Te Ching is a short text of around 5,000 Chinese characters in 81 brief chapters or sections. ... The written style is laconic, has few grammatical particles, and encourages varied, contradictory interpretations. The ideas are singular; the style poetic. The rhetorical style combines two major strategies: short, declarative statements and intentional contradictions. The first of these strategies creates memorable phrases, while the second forces the reader to reconcile supposed contradictions. The Tao Te Ching has been translated into Western languages over 250 times, mostly to English, German, and French. According to Holmes Welch, "It is a famous puzzle which everyone would like to feel he had solved.

1. Tao Te Ching

The tao that can be told
    is not the eternal Tao
    The name that can be named
    is not the eternal Name.

The unnamable is the eternally real.
    Naming is the origin
    of all particular things.

Free from desire, you realize the mystery.
    Caught in desire, you see only the manifestations.

Yet mystery and manifestations
    arise from the same source.
    This source is called darkness.

Darkness within darkness.
    The gateway to all understanding.

When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad.

Being and non-being create each other.
    Difficult and easy support each other.
    Long and short define each other.
    High and low depend on each other.
    Before and after follow each other.

Therefore the Master
    acts without doing anything
    and teaches without saying anything.
    Things arise and she lets them come;
    things disappear and she lets them go.
    She has but doesn't possess,
    acts but doesn't expect.
    When her work is done, she forgets it.
    That is why it lasts forever.

If you overesteem great men,
    people become powerless.
    If you overvalue possessions,
    people begin to steal.

The Master leads
    by emptying people's minds
    and filling their cores,
    by weakening their ambition
    and toughening their resolve.
    He helps people lose everything
    they know, everything they desire,
    and creates confusion
    in those who think that they know.

Practice not-doing,
    and everything will fall into place.

Last edited by silke; 02-08-2019 at 08:14 AM. Reason: updated with info
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Daoism was one of my favorite philosophies (though more getting into Chuang Tzu than Yang Chu or Lao Tzu). I actually wondered if it might not be Ni, but that's probably because it's so purposefully vague. It's been a while since I read the Tao Te Ching so it was more of a memory thing than looking at it closely. Very dynamic in scope I'd say.

However, I can kind of see it as a reaction towards more typically held Confucian ideas, which I tend to see as more Gamma oriented.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd say he probably has Te as his second function.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    Daoism was one of my favorite philosophies (though more getting into Chuang Tzu than Yang Chu or Lao Tzu). I actually wondered if it might not be Ni, but that's probably because it's so purposefully vague. It's been a while since I read the Tao Te Ching so it was more of a memory thing than looking at it closely. Very dynamic in scope I'd say.

However, I can kind of see it as a reaction towards more typically held Confucian ideas, which I tend to see as more Gamma oriented.
    There's definitely no Se valuing there. (See what I quoted in the James Allen topic.)

Quote Originally Posted by Winterpark View Post
    I'd say he probably has Te as his second function.
    Who?
    SEE

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    Who?
    Tao Te Ching
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i agree; i think taoism basically has elements of Ni and Si but is probably closer to SLI as an integral philosophy.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's definitely no Se valuing there.
    Yeah, I know what you mean. I suppose I didn't mean it as a valued function necessarily, just that Ni seemed to make an appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17 View Post
    i agree; i think taoism basically has elements of Ni and Si but is probably closer to SLI as an integral philosophy.
    I could see this pretty easily. The focus of a lot of the work seems squarely on a dynamic inward perception of life and the world, and I'd say that the sort of immersive quality it places on what's going on all around is probably more a sign of an Si-outlook, if that makes any sense at all.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lao Tzu is a true baller. Tao Te Ching seems repetitive/redundant/whatever after a while, but if you are willing to let things sink in and don't just let yourself get frustrated with what seems to be mindless reframing of essentially identical ideas, it is actually good advice that is worth listening to.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Winterpark View Post
    Tao Te Ching
    lololololol

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    Lao Tzu is a true baller. Tao Te Ching seems repetitive/redundant/whatever after a while, but if you are willing to let things sink in and don't just let yourself get frustrated with what seems to be mindless reframing of essentially identical ideas, it is actually good advice that is worth listening to.
    How the hell is this good advice?
    SEE

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try it and find out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    Holy mud-wrestling bipolar donkeys, Batman!

Retired from posting and drawing Social Security. E-mail or PM to contact.

I pity your souls

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I should try being fat, stupid, and useless?
    SEE

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I should try being fat, stupid, and useless?
    Not exalting the gifted doesn't make one stupid.

Stuffing your belly (depending on if you interpret this as gluttony or, as is probably more accurate given the historical context, as satisfying one's physical needs and taking pleasure in that) doesn't make one fat.

Taking things as they come without any sort of ceaseless attempt to make your mark on the world and the accompanying conflict that generates doesn't make you useless.

It's not a perfect philosophy, but it's one that seeing the immense conflict and rigid focus present at its advent in Chinese history, makes some sense.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    Not exalting the gifted doesn't make one stupid.
    That wasn't the part I was referring to when I said "stupid". That was the one line I agreed with.

Stuffing your belly (depending on if you interpret this as gluttony or, as is probably more accurate given the historical context, as satisfying one's physical needs and taking pleasure in that) doesn't make one fat.
    I figured as much. I was mostly joking about that one.

Taking things as they come without any sort of ceaseless attempt to make your mark on the world and the accompanying conflict that generates doesn't make you useless.
    See, making your mark on the world is a concept that I would lump in with the first line.

It's not a perfect philosophy, but it's one that seeing the immense conflict and rigid focus present at its advent in Chinese history, makes some sense.
    I very much understand the value in being fully present. The concepts of nonattachment, nonresistance, and nonjudgment are very meaningful to me. When I think about the text in those terms, it makes more sense... However, the manner in which those concepts are being presented in the Tao Te Ching really rubs me the wrong way.
    SEE

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not if you take it literally instead of reading between the lines and trying to see what the underlying message is.

If it doesn't seem repetitive to the nth degree, you're not reading it right When it does seem repetitive, you will realize that life really is that simple.

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The idea behind the Tao Te Ching, IMO, is to reiterate similar concepts in a variety of applications in order to hammer home the underlying message on a more subconscious level.

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not if you take it literally instead of reading between the lines and trying to see what the underlying message is.

If it doesn't seem repetitive to the nth degree, you're not reading it right When it does seem repetitive, you will realize that life really is that simple.
    I didn't get all that far, but it did indeed seem repetitive. I much prefer Tolle's version of these concepts, though the way he explains them isn't a completely perfect fit for me, either. I imagine most people who read up on such things end up piecing together their own understanding from various sources they've read and their own values and experiences.
    SEE

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't get all that far, but it did indeed seem repetitive. I much prefer Tolle's version of these concepts, though the way he explains them isn't a completely perfect fit for me, either. I imagine most people who read up on such things end up piecing together their own understanding from various sources they've read and their own values and experiences.
    I think they would be fucking retarded if they took any single one and ran with it.

If you are seeing the thematic repetition in Tao Te Ching, I have to wonder why you insist on interpreting Lao Tzu's passages so literally, especially if you are both taking time and cultural scope in to account, and looking for pertinent ideas for your own life, as opposed to being out to criticize its relevance to your own life when approached with a fundamentalist attitude.

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think they would be fucking retarded if they took any single one and ran with it.

If you are seeing the thematic repetition in Tao Te Ching, I have to wonder why you insist on interpreting Lao Tzu's passages so literally, especially if you are both taking time and cultural scope in to account, and looking for pertinent ideas for your own life, as opposed to being out to criticize its relevance to your own life when approached with a fundamentalist attitude.
    Like I said... it just rubs me the wrong way. It's the way the concepts are presented, not the concepts themselves. And I was mostly joking about the "stupid, fat, and useless" thing. It's just that to me, that's what it sounds like it's saying. I realize that it's not meant to be taken at face value like that, but idk... imagine the most annoying pop song you've ever heard having a really good message that you totally agree with. You still wouldn't like the song.
    SEE

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally it's a lot easier for me to separate meaning from content when it's words on a page; obnoxious vocals, cheesy background music, and poor soundboarding tend to be massive distractions.

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's an exaggerated analogy, but the point remains.
    SEE

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lololololol

Read the text without reading the text. Meaning can be found in the text. The meaning of the text is a text without meaning. The tao is in the text and tao is not in the text. The tao is found in acting without acting, being without being, and becoming without becoming.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I know... it's just not for me. Like I said, the same exact concepts are present in other books, and I personally prefer some of those other books.
    SEE

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I know... it's just not for me. Like I said, the same exact concepts are present in other books, and I personally prefer some of those other books.
    I'm going to make a wild guess here by saying that the Tao Te Ching came first and the rest are a bunch of unoriginal hacks.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Tao Te Ching holds a patent on spiritual truth? Those spiritual truths didn't exist before it was written? They wouldn't have existed had it not been written?
    SEE

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's an exaggerated analogy, but the point remains.
    Personally I find it rather insignificant. But that's me.

Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Tao Te Ching holds a patent on spiritual truth? Those spiritual truths didn't exist before it was written? They wouldn't have existed had it not been written?
    You are reading what I am saying without reading what I am saying.
    Johari Box

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is, if you aim is to prevent quarreling, stealing, and confusion of the heart in an absolutely certain way.

In fact, it seems to be the perfect philosophy from an irrational-introverted-positivist-dynamic. I can't say I disagree, I can only say it is a philosophy my own mind and body could not easily follow.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Logos View Post
    You are reading what I am saying without reading what I am saying.
    lol

Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As a personal interpretation:

Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    "Not exalting the gifted prevents quarreling." - If you show off, people will be bitter and won't work as well will you.

"Not collecting treasures prevents stealing." - A robber only tries to rob you if you have something of value.

"Not seeing desirable things prevents confusion of the heart." - Example: a monk engaging in a fast would not want to 'confuse' his/her heart (i.e. weaken his/her resolve) by thinking longingly about the most delicious roast dinner.

"If men lack knowledge and desire, then clever people will not try to interfere." - If you show off your knowledge, or try to come across as learned, then 'clever people' may try to influence you. Better to just be yourself, be natural, don't have any pretensions, and everything will be fine.

"If nothing is done, then all will be well." - Take a look at a topic that I started recently: http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...ad.php?t=20758 If I did 'nothing' i.e. just was myself, then it would solve a lot of problems for me. Another example is if someone wants to be a strict teacher, or to come across as strict, or to come across as dignified etc ... they will be so insecure about their image that people will see through them and know that they aren't really strict, or dignified etc. But if the teacher changes himself or herself so that he or she actually is strict, or dignified, or strong, or has a high sense of self-esteem, this will naturally be reflected in an understated way that is far more powerful.

Another point to note is that Taoist texts were often quite cryptic. "If nothing is done" is only one half of the equation. You need the other half (compare with yin-yang philosophy). Doing 'nothing' is know as "wu-wei"; but before you do nothing you need to do something, which is known as "yu-wei". As an example, you're going to take an exam.

Yu-wei: you prepare as best you can
    Wu-wei ("If nothing is done, then all will be well."): you don't 'try' to be clever in the exam, or to do well, you just do it naturally and let your preparation 'take the exam for you'
    Five/Tanzhe

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Is anyone familiar with it's teachings?

I just read a bit of it... and I have to say that I've never seen anything so Ne/Si.
    I consider myself actually a syncretist composite of pagan and Taoist ideals.

In fact, the only belief I've been able to sustain has been in the advice I receive from the I Ching, which I consult a few times a week. It's calming, thoughtful and almost unfailingly accurate. (Sometimes a bit incomprehensible, but usually spot on crystal-clear).

It is absolutely an irrational-appealing philosophy. Like Zen.
    socio: INFp - IEI
    ennea: 4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
    Only kings, presidents, editors, and people with tapeworms have the right to use the editorial 'we'.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lao Tzu is probably an SLI. He supervises Joy, because he knows exactly how to work the system, while recognising that it's futile. Joy fails to see how futile her life is.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nonattachment, nonjudgment, nonresistance.
    SEE

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nonattachment, nonjudgment, nonresistance.
    Whereas your doctrine is, attachment, judgement and resistance. Correct?

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    Whereas your doctrine is, attachment, judgement and resistance. Correct?
    Doctrine? I wouldn't use that word.

But no. I also believe that nonattachment, nonjudgment, and nonresistance are the keys to spiritual development and personal growth.
    SEE

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Placate, Sedate, Eradicate.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Creepy-bg

lather, rinse, repeat

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bionicgoat View Post
    lather, rinse, repeat
    hehe
    INFp

If your sea chart does not match reality, go with reality (Old mariner saying)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I must say old Lao Tzu makes tons of sense to me I am much like aka-kitsune in that regard. I also enjoy the 'logic' and wisdom behind the I Ching even if I don't consult it as such.
    INFp

If your sea chart does not match reality, go with reality (Old mariner saying)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In a past thread on Lao Tzu, hkkmr said that Taoism is an irrational philosophy about fitting into "nature" in contrast to Stoicism which is a rational philosophy about fitting into "nature".
    Johari Box

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doctrine? I wouldn't use that word.

But no. I also believe that nonattachment, nonjudgment, and nonresistance are the keys to spiritual development and personal growth.
    So you're actually embracing some of the Ne/Si aspects of Taoism, despite your true character?

Quote Originally Posted by Logos View Post
    In a past thread on Lao Tzu, hkkmr said that Taoism is an irrational philosophy about fitting into "nature" in contrast to Stoicism which is a rational philosophy about fitting into "nature".
    Stoicism is anti-nature. In fact, rationality is anti-nature.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast