Thread: Rich Mullins

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Rich Mullins

I'm guessing the majority of you have never heard of him, but this guy is one of my heroes. Or, at least, someone I would like to emulate in many ways. I tend to be a bit of a perfectionist, often slightly obsessed with everything being right. Just looking at him, his life and songs, encourages me to be more real and focused on what's really important, to be less concerned with making sure everything fits they way I perceive it and just... to be honest, I guess. And in that honesty find what's true and what really gives life. He didn't let what he believed stay stuck in his head; he really lived it. And then there's how he didn't let himself be tied to material goods or how well people thought of him. And how he loved and soaked in the beauty of the world. There's a lot of other things I like about him that I can't quite put into words right now.

So, here're some pictures and videos.

There's a movie on YouTube called Homeless Man that talks about his life, who he was and what he did. Parts 3a and 3b seemed to have more examples of his personality, anecdotes and such. Since it's sort of a memorial thing, I think he might be a little idealized in some of what they're saying, but still I think it captures a lot of him.

There's also a series of video clips of his last performance. There's a lot of parts to that and I haven't watched all of them, so I won't link to them all. I like Part 2, though, and I'm going to post Part 5 on here because it's mostly him talking.

Here's one of his songs. I actually hadn't heard this one before, but it is typical, I think.

Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's three clips of him talking about various things:

Be Assertive

Sensationalism

Driving without Headlights
    Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have heard of him. A good friend introduced me to his music back in the early 90s. My favorite album of his was always Liturgy, Legacy, and a Raggamuffin Band.

I think another quality of his was his ability not only to immerse himself and live out what he believed but he also wasn't afraid to be unconventional in the things he said or the things he did. I haven't watched through the videos you posted yet, but I know that he would say things that weren't "mainstream" but it didn't affect him; he just was not ashamed of it. But he didn't say them with arrogance or with an air of importance... none of that. He was never afraid to speak his mind and never did so forcefully.

One of his inspirations was St. Francis of Assisi. And I remember a quote my dad would use of his that I think really speaks to how Rich personified St. Francis's life. "Preach the Gospel at all times, and when necessary use words."

I think the Delta quadra values are clear to me. Certainly a Delta rational.

There's a quote on his wiki page that I think demonstrates this actually

Jesus said whatever you do to the least of these my brothers you’ve done it to me. And this is what I’ve come to think. That if I want to identify fully with Jesus Christ, who I claim to be my savior and Lord, the best way that I can do that is to identify with the poor. This I know will go against the teachings of all the popular evangelical preachers. But they’re just wrong. They’re not bad, they’re just wrong. Christianity is not about building an absolutely secure little niche in the world where you can live with your perfect little wife and your perfect little children in a beautiful little house where you have no gays or minority groups anywhere near you. Christianity is about learning to love like Jesus loved and Jesus loved the poor and Jesus loved the broken.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The source of that wiki-quote actually comes from that concert clip I posted. And, yes, St. Francis - I'm always remembering the gist of that quote of his and always forgetting the author and exact phrasing.

As to Rich's type - Delta sounds reasonable, but I'm not sure about rational. He seemed perhaps more EP? Why do you think rational?

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think there is an element of the EP that I can see -- and I think you touched on it, his detachment from the material possessions of the world and freely being guided as he felt he was being taken. I seem to remember, I can't remember if it's him or not, but didn't he sell all of his possessions before moving to the Navajo reservation? He lived off of what he needed and donated any additional income to charity. He lived as a vagabond. He was open to the possibilities of where he was guided during his life. He lived his life with a vigor and sometimes with a reckless abandon.

So I think there's merit to the EP, maybe even with IP.

I'll need to watch the rest of the videos, because I'll need to think about the rational/irrational split with him.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IXFp. Maybe ISFp.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Winterpark View Post
    IXFp. Maybe ISFp.
    Why do you think that, if you don't mind me asking?

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He seems IP and Fe creative to me, and I think Alpha vaules would fit him the best in general. He also reminds me of Kevin Spacey (ISFp) in a lot of ways. Visually, he reminds me of other IXFp's too.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you, I like explanations.

I do think he does belong in a Si-Ne valuing quadra, despite that bit where that one person was talking about him having a "vision."

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Winterpark View Post
    He seems IP and Fe creative to me, and I think Alpha vaules would fit him the best in general. He also reminds me of Kevin Spacey (ISFp) in a lot of ways. Visually, he reminds me of other IXFp's too.
    yes i agree
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

INFP I believe

The new movie “Ragamuffin” was almost like seeing my own life on screen (with varying nuances of course) but the same archetypal themes. I am fully convinced that Rich Mullins was an IxFP and I’d bet he’s an INFP