Thread: Type this Text: Death as Darkness

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Type this Text: Death as Darkness

Please type this piece of writing. Feel free to comment on the quality of the writing if you like, but I'm more interested in what functional preferences can be deduced from this.

Death must be like this: trapped within a nightmare and unable to wake.

And a nightmare must be like this: images from Un Chien Andalou taut like suffocating membrane stretched over her head. They assault her, hold her hypnotised by the visceral bombardment of slit eyeballs and slivered moons and dead babies crawling beneath her skin.

War amputees often report the sensation of a phantom limb, as though their body remembers what no longer physically exists. The old limb lives in the catacomb of nerves and whispers gently to the brain; the operation of two nostalgic lovers. This same phantom sensation clings to her nerves: the sensation of a razor incising into her iris. The blind dark seizes her until she is trapped in pain’s flesh. She falls into a black-blooded womb and thrashes in agony, unborn.

There in the womb she will lie shivering, for Karina is terrified of the dark. Her dread of blindness arises from this consuming fear. Darkness for Karina is not an abstract quality, not merely the absorption of all light. Darkness has weight; it is a heavy, solid thing that sits upon her ribcage and holds her down. It forms her shackles and pulls her into subterranean depths; it moulds her stark, naked flesh into ebony, motionless and dead.

This fear lies at the centre of all things. It is the greatest motivator; it is what propels Karina into the light like a frantic moth searching for the moon. It is what pushed her out of her mother’s arms into the bare air, madly euphoric as she tore free. When she escaped she felt air entering her lungs as though for the first time. The oxygen combusted in her lungs and she burned, first with elation, then with fever and finally with guilt. Her elation, her emancipation, her desire to burn through the air necessitated the guilt. It hangs about her neck, weighing her down. Its solidity multiplied by gravity keeps her from vaporising due to supreme lightness.

Karina slips through the crowds unnoticed. She walks the grey pavement with her collar pushing up against her hair. She stops to buy a ticket before descending the stairs. Her train will come at 5.47 and she pulls out Anna Karenina from her coat, finding a space close to the platform’s yellow line. The peak hour crowd pushes against her and she watches congested trains pull away from the station. Her finger slides down the page, following a progression of words:

The candle, by which she had been reading that book filled with anxieties, deceptions, grief, and evil, flared up with a brighter light, lit up for her all that had been before been dark, crackled, began to flicker, and went out for ever.

Karina turns the page and lifts her eyes to read the time. Two portly women in loud floral frocks trundle past with their luggage on wheels, laughing. A boy with a mohawk jostles past her. The time changes to 5.47 and the train appears in the distance. The crowd shifts and begins to inch forward and Karina slips the book back within the warmth of her coat. She takes a step, breaking out of the line formed along the edge of the platform. With sudden force she is propelled beyond that strip of yellow. The voices dim. The train roars its presence. The air shudders and whines. Her toes push off.

If that one microscopic second were to be frozen and repeated eternally, the sensation of death would intensify exponentially. She would be able to taste the adrenaline in her veins surging, pulsing in her skin, oozing out of her tastebuds. She would be mid-flight, a soaring drop of salt-water breaking from the wave and flung toward the sky; both light and heavy, both flying and falling. But time cannot be frozen.

One of the women in red hibiscus print turns and screams.
    Last edited by unefille; 08-30-2008 at 08:28 AM.
    ()
    3w4-1w2-5w4 sx/sp

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Fe + Ni because of the type of imagery used ("pathetic fallacy") and the sort of "forward pacing" of ideas.
    did you write this?
    EII; E6(w5)

i am flakey

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah.

I wrote this as part of my high school graduating major literary assignment - I was 17 at the time. I thought that my writing might be highly indicative of type and I was just interested in what it indicated.
    ()
    3w4-1w2-5w4 sx/sp

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Btw, I do think it's very well written. (Fwiw, I only knew you wrote it because you said "feel free to comment on the quality." =) )
    The thing is, an IEE could write something like this as a sort of "exercise" or on a whim, but I doubt they'd do it naturally or for a large project. Sounds more like something an EIE would write, I think. Overall, writing like that is a bit difficult for me to digest, esp. for long periods of time.
    But see what other people say.
    EII; E6(w5)

i am flakey

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The writing style reminds me of

I can't remember anything
    Can't tell if this is true or dream
    Deep down inside I feel to scream
    This terrible silence stops me

Now that the war is through with me
    I'm waking up, I cannot see
    That there's not much left of me
    Nothing is real but pain now

Hold my breath as I wish for death
    Oh please god, wake me

Back in the womb it's much too real
    In pumps life that I must feel
    But can't look forward to reveal
    Look to the time when I'll live

Fed through the tube that sticks in me
    Just like a wartime novelty
    Tied to machines that make me be
    Cut this LIFE off from me

Oh please god, wake me

Now the world is gone I'm just one
    Oh god, help me

Oh please god, help me

Darkness imprisoning me
    All that I see
    Absolute horror
    I cannot live
    I cannot die
    Trapped in myself
    Body my holding cell

Landmines has taken my sight
    Taken my speech
    Taken my hearing
    Taken my heart
    Taken my soul
    Taken my life
    Left me with life in hell
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@ FDG

Who was the song by? And what would you type the person who wrote it?
    ()
    3w4-1w2-5w4 sx/sp

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Btw, I do think it's very well written. (Fwiw, I only knew you wrote it because you said "feel free to comment on the quality." =) )
    The thing is, an IEE could write something like this as a sort of "exercise" or on a whim, but I doubt they'd do it naturally or for a large project. Sounds more like something an EIE would write, I think. Overall, writing like that is a bit difficult for me to digest, esp. for long periods of time.
    But see what other people say.
    I agree somewhat tentatively.

It occurred to my preferences in literature - beyond mere appreciation, but a deep resonance with - might be related to functional preferences in type. For example, a friend I can say for certain is SEE and I always discuss why some of her favourite novels are English bildungsromans, with a focus on personal growth and development, whilst I've always been attracted to literature that unfolds on a more 'epic' canvas, in both scale and sentiment.
    Last edited by unefille; 08-30-2008 at 12:41 PM.
    ()
    3w4-1w2-5w4 sx/sp

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree - Fe and Ni. Especially this part, "War amputees often report the sensation of a phantom limb, as though their body remembers what no longer physically exists. The old limb lives in the catacomb of nerves and whispers gently to the brain; the operation of two nostalgic lovers." It's just so descriptive of the general emotion behind all this.
    EIE, ENFj, intuitive subtype.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Cool ILI hubbys are better than LSIs any time!

Old blog: http://firsttimeinusa.blogspot.com/
    New blog: http://having-a-kid.blogspot.com/

I've been waiting for you Satan's Avatar
    TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

Unefile, that song is One by Metallica. ISTj.

Which ironically is one of the few songs I found when I was young that could conjur feelings in me.

But then at the same time I was into Slayer songs like Skeletions of Society, with lyrics like:

The world slowly decays
    Destruction fills my eyes
    Harboring the image
    Of a spiraling demise
    Burning winds release their fury
    Simulating judge and jury
    Drfiting flurries of pain

Deafening silence reigns
    As twilight fills the sky
    Eventual supremacy
    Daylight waits to die
    Darkness always calls my name
    A pawn in this recurring game
    Humanity going insane
    Last edited by Satan; 08-30-2008 at 01:01 PM.

I've been waiting for you Satan's Avatar
    TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

I could say it's Fe/Ni; and it's a bit verbose for my liking.

If you had a nice voice, and read it aloud then I probably wouldn't mind the verbosity.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with everyone. Ni + Fe.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That song is Metallica's One, and was written by an LSI. The styles are a bit different - yours seem to be a lot more dynamic, very similar to the book you mention in your signature (which I personally found a bit weighty for my taste). However the core issues represented and the atmosphere generated are analoguos.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    That song is Metallica's One, and was written by an LSI. The styles are a bit different - yours seem to be a lot more dynamic, very similar to the book you mention in your signature (which I personally found a bit weighty for my taste). However the core issues represented and the atmosphere generated are analoguos.
    I quite liked TULoB.

Your text, unfille, very very much reminds me of texts written by an EIE friend of mine.
    INFp

If your sea chart does not match reality, go with reality (Old mariner saying)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've accepted that I ooze EIE-ness (and Beta-rationality-ness) out of my pores, not to mention my tormented adolescent attempts at self-expression through writing, and always have.
    Last edited by unefille; 08-31-2008 at 02:22 AM.
    ()
    3w4-1w2-5w4 sx/sp

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by unefille View Post
    Please type this piece of writing. Feel free to comment on the quality of the writing if you like, but I'm more interested in what functional preferences can be deduced from this.
    I think it's mostly Ni. Beta Ni.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mercutio View Post
    Unefile, that song is One by Metallica. ISTj.

Which ironically is one of the few songs I found when I was young that could conjur feelings in me.
    Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I went and listened to a lot of Metallica at work today (yeah, shockingly under-exposed to Metallica) and it's interesting. I can definitely see why it's more 'static' than I am.

Does anyone know what type music such as The Cure and Patrick Wolf would be?

I think the correlations of quadras with respect to music, literature, movies etc is incredibly interesting.

P.S: @ Merky - I've been told I have a beautiful, distinctive voice, but I guess you're just going to have to wait to hear it in real life to judge that yourself.
    Last edited by unefille; 08-31-2008 at 07:22 AM.
    ()
    3w4-1w2-5w4 sx/sp

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went and listened to a lot of Metallica at work today (yeah, shockingly under-exposed to Metallica) and it's interesting. I can definitely see why it's more 'static' than I am.

Does anyone know what type music such as The Cure and Patrick Wolf would be?
    Robert Smith is usually typed as IEI, and I wouldn't be suprised if Patrick Wolf was the same (or at least, Beta NF)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hellothere View Post
    Robert Smith is usually typed as IEI, and I wouldn't be suprised if Patrick Wolf was the same (or at least, Beta NF)
    I suspected as such. Wow, being Beta suddenly explains a lot about my music tastes as well. Huh, it's like the world makes so much more SENSE now.
    ()
    3w4-1w2-5w4 sx/sp

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sure as hell something I'd never read.
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UDP View Post
    Sure as hell something I'd never read.
    Thanks for that UDP, that was very helpful, considerate and sensitive.
    ()
    3w4-1w2-5w4 sx/sp

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Feel free to comment on the quality of the writing if you like,
    I suppose I wasn't commenting on the quality of the writing or the type. But that I would not be much interested in reading it is telling somewhat.

What, is it your favorite book?
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UDP View Post
    What, is it your favorite book?
    It's something I wrote myself when I was 17 for my major literary project. I've outgrown the style somewhat, but I think writing captures the essence of who you are. Thus, that's me.
    ()
    3w4-1w2-5w4 sx/sp

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah.

I wrote this as part of my high school graduating major literary assignment - I was 17 at the time. I thought that my writing might be highly indicative of type and I was just interested in what it indicated.
    I didn't see that until just now - I just posted based on what I saw.

No hard feelings against you or anything.