Thread: MBTI haha

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default MBTI haha.

so we have a work sponsored MBTI event and surprise surprise i got INTP again. however i found it really hard to hold my tongue at some other people who had take the test and were putting so much weight on it. this one girl i think she was ENTp.. and shes like visibly upset that she is ISTP. im like.. yeah.. you shouldn't take it so seriously cos its wack. lol.

Do any of you still use MBTI?

Also the leader did not explain the "preferences" very well at all, and showed my disapproval on my face.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No one likes being ISTP haha.

I took it at work, all I got was SP. I don't use it much since behaviour can be so variable amongst anyone.

Although I think still have a book somewhere. Keirsey's second book.
    "Those who make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities..."

- Voltaire

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have here and there. I'm INFP with strong Ne (and very bad Te!).
    Johari/Nohari

"Tell someone you love them today, because life is short; shout it at them in German, because life is also terrifying."

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryene Astraelis View Post
    I have here and there. I'm INFP with strong Ne (and very bad Te!).
    haha your Te sucks.

- Voltaire

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LokiVanguard View Post
    haha your Te sucks.
    Oh, does it ever. And I live with a Te-dominant! -.-
    Johari/Nohari

"Tell someone you love them today, because life is short; shout it at them in German, because life is also terrifying."

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You ever read those descriptions of ISTP on similiarminds? Christ, makes you wonder how someone with those characteristics hasn't managed to off themselves, it's ridiculous.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Kensington View Post
    so we have a work sponsored MBTI event and surprise surprise i got INTP again. however i found it really hard to hold my tongue at some other people who had take the test and were putting so much weight on it. this one girl i think she was ENTp.. and shes like visibly upset that she is ISTP. im like.. yeah.. you shouldn't take it so seriously cos its wack. lol.

Do any of you still use MBTI?

Also the leader did not explain the "preferences" very well at all, and showed my disapproval on my face.
    lol. i have basically completely abandoned MBTI. the last time i took it (in college) i was INTP. it was really bizarre. basically 70% of my class wound up being ESFJ.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ghey, conflictor crush.
    D-SEI 9w1

This is me and my dual being scientific together

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamangir View Post
    ghey, conflictor crush.
    aren't they something like duals in MBTI?
    6w5 sx
    sloan - rcuei

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by implied View Post
    aren't they something like duals in MBTI?
    I don't think MBTI really maps out relations between the types.

- Voltaire

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"something like duals." i see ESFJ listed often as the most complimentary type for an INTP in MBTI.
    6w5 sx
    sloan - rcuei

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that equals boom boom maria. Glad you came away unharmed.
    D-SEI 9w1

This is me and my dual being scientific together

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They try and fail. I have seen one with ISFJs paired with ESTPs.

Some of the professors at my school seem to like MBTI but they don't seem too serious about it. I tried expalining that a better system exists to one of my profs and I linked her some information but she didn't seem to interested. The other prof I mentioned it to said something along the lines of you have to be careful with those wierd outshoots of MBTI. So sadly no Socionics progression at my school :/
    Last edited by Bardia; 08-29-2008 at 04:44 AM.
    “No psychologist should pretend to understand what he does not understand... Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand nothing.” -Anton Chekhov

http://kevan.org/johari?name=Bardia0
    http://kevan.org/nohari?name=Bardia0

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't really see a way to use MBTI in any useful way that I care about. I remember it was one of those things that I would have to try to make it make enough sense, as though it couldn't quite stand on its own.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by coolguy89 View Post

Some of the professors at my school seem to like MBTI but they don't seem too serious about it. I tried expalining that a better system exists to one of my profs and I linked her some information but she didn' seem to interested. The other prof I mentioned it to said something alone the lines of you have to be careful with those wierd outshoots of MBTI.
    Seems like said prof is wise beyond her(his?) years.

- Voltaire

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so we have a work sponsored MBTI event and surprise surprise i got INTP again.
    That is not a surprise. If you really are an INTj, you are not a typical INTj. And it is actually rather likely that you are not an INTj. Your arguments for considering yourself an INTj are rather poor. You haven't done a thorough typing of yourself, and you should seriously consider the possibility that you are mistyped.

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Kensington
    however i found it really hard to hold my tongue at some other people who had take the test and were putting so much weight on it. this one girl i think she was ENTp.. and shes like visibly upset that she is ISTP. im like.. yeah.. you shouldn't take it so seriously cos its wack. lol.
    You are not very good at typing, Ms. Kensington, so you should not dismiss information like that so easily.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In Gifts Differing, Isabel Briggs Myers and Peter Myers kind of put out a lot of statistical data about what types tended to end up with which types, but it was all pretty hokey to me. It was basically something like 35% of people wound up with someone sharing three preferences and 33% on two.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    In Gifts Differing, Isabel Briggs Myers and Peter Myers kind of put out a lot of statistical data about what types tended to end up with which types, but it was all pretty hokey to me. It was basically something like 35% of people wound up with someone sharing three preferences and 33% on two.
    I wonder what the sluts ended up with

- Voltaire

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*biting her tongue*
    Johari/Nohari

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, the extroverted sluts probably wound up with the introverted ones. That or the responsible sluts ended up with the sloppy hoes. They probably had that statistically laid out in there, I don't remember.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    That is not a surprise. If you really are an INTj, you are not a typical INTj. And it is actually rather likely that you are not an INTj. Your arguments for considering yourself an INTj are rather poor. You haven't done a thorough typing of yourself, and you should seriously consider the possibility that you are mistyped.

You are not very good at typing, Ms. Kensington, so you should not dismiss information like that so easily.
    well, at least now you think that i may be an INTj instead of saying i am INTp. I would be happy to discuss my type with you via PM because im not sure if anyone is unsure of it on the forum or would find discussion of it in a thread an eyesore. I would appreciate any serious attempt to discuss my type to include a list of questions from which we can deduce the type without ambiguity.

Basically I have Ixxj temperment, relate to valuing Ti and Ne most, have Se polr, am weak in Si and Fe but value them. from this I believe my type is INTj. If you would like to define the functions and temperament we can maybe convince you?

I am a night owl, though.
    Last edited by Ms. Kensington; 08-29-2008 at 12:17 AM.

I had words here once, but I didn't feed them Khola aka Bee's Avatar
    TIM
    Meat Popsicle
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MBTI is crap. I usually get ENFp, with low E and N scores. What a crock! I'm SEI-Fe to the max! Yeah we use MBTI at work here too (I'm a graphic designer and typesetter, but I work for psych career consultants) and it's a whole world of poop. My fave that they use at work is probs. Birkman, but Socionics PWNS all! Oh FYI I'm Birkman blue across every aspect of my personality, heh!
    Hello, my name is Bee. Pleased to meet you .

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The MBTI has its place. I enjoy Socionics more because there is so much more to it. MBTI discussions are usually limited to type watching observations, which I find boring.

Jason

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, at least now you think that i may be an INTj instead of saying i am INTp.
    I have never ever stated is as an indisputable fact that you are an INTp, even though that type certainly looks more likely for you based on all the evidence you have presented. You have always described yourself, your behavour, your test results, etc. in a way that is inconsistent with being an INTj. So if you are an INTj after all, your self-immage is still slightly distorted.

I would be happy to discuss my type with you via PM because im not sure if anyone is unsure of it on the forum or would find discussion of it in a thread an eyesore. I would appreciate any serious attempt to discuss my type to include a list of questions from which we can deduce the type without ambiguity.
    I have tried to help you find your type, including via PMs, but you have always backed down at the most crucial stage in the typing process. You haven't yet answered the most important questions in a satisfactory way, and you have not presented any convincing arguments for INTj.

Basically I have Ixxj temperment, relate to valuing Ti and Ne most, have Se polr, am weak in Si and Fe but value them. from this I believe my type is INTj.
    That should not be enough to convince anyone of your type. You don't test as IJ tempereament? Why not? Why are your test results incorrect? Do you have an explanation for that phenomenon? The IJ and the IP temperament can be confused by some people -- how do you know that you are not one of those people? Obviously you don't understand the temperaments well enough, since you consistently test otherwise.

Your understanding of the Ti function is faulty and lacks important elements. And in general, you can't type people by looking at just the functions, because they are too easily misunderstood, or confused, or too difficult to determine -- there's an immensely amount of empirical evidence (just look at the mistakes people make in that regard on this forum) to support that claim.

If you would like to define the functions and temperament we can maybe convince you?
    No, you can't convince me by providing definitions. That you are so focused on something as unimportant as definitions is of course in itself an argument for INTj, but it is not enough. What can convince me is if you describe your own behaviour, your attitudes, your life approach, your test results, how you relate to the Reinin dichotomies, etc. in an INTj-consistent way.

Have you compared yourself with Huitzilopochtli? He is a very clear example of an INTj, and he has presented a vast amount of empirical evidence that shows clearly that he is INTj seen from every possible angle. He tests as INTJ in MBTT, he tests as INTj in Socionics, his test result on Global strongly indicates INTj, his writing style is clearly in structure, his philosophical views are perfectly in line with being an INTj, and even according to the Reinin dichotomies he is clearly an INTj. If you can see that you are similar to him in most of those aspects, then you would strengthen your case for INTj immensely.

I am a night owl, though.
    That's a bad start. Now try to present some facts that suggests that you are an INTj.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Join the club, Kensington. I am not an INTj in Pheardrus' system either.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    Join the club, Kensington. I am not an INTj in Pheardrus' system either.
    My system is Socionics. What is yours?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another thing I should mention about the MBTI is that I don't think the type descriptions are that bad. They describe myself and a lot of people I know quite well. The problems are: 1) The test itself - it doesn't always give people their correct type, 2) The underlying theory, which has a poor relationship with Jung's ideas and doesn't always relate to a person's actual type, and 3) Keirsey's distinctions, which can be misleading.

Jason

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jason_m View Post
    Another thing I should mention about the MBTI is that I don't think the type descriptions are that bad. They describe myself and a lot of people I know quite well.
    Of course. They describe all people quite well. Every person is the same type in both Socionics and MBTT.

Quote Originally Posted by jason_m
    The problems are: 1) The test itself - it doesn't always give people their correct type
    That is definitely not a problem, because there is not a single socionic test that is any better than a licensed MBTI test. They give the same result, and the MBTI test is at least as accurate as any socionic test in determining your correct type.

2) The underlying theory, which has a poor relationship with Jung's ideas and doesn't always relate to a person's actual type
    Yes, the underlying theory in MBTT is just false.

3) Keirsey's distinctions, which can be misleading.
    No, they are never misleading. Keirsey's temperaments and types describe the corresponding socionic types correctly. They are perfectly compatible.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by coolguy89 View Post

Some of the professors at my school seem to like MBTI but they don't seem too serious about it. I tried expalining that a better system exists to one of my profs and I linked her some information but she didn't seem to interested. The other prof I mentioned it to said something along the lines of you have to be careful with those wierd outshoots of MBTI. So sadly no Socionics progression at my school :/
    Yeah and I'll bet he thinks he's hot stuff, accomplished and whatnot. Pathetic is what he is. Absolutely pathetic, like the rest of modern personality psyche outside of socionics.

I mean really, you have to look at the idiot state of personality research in the West and wonder, "what have these people been smoking?" You're inclined to think they must still be hokey to Timothy Leery and his wacko-LSD "brain circuit" theory.

But you know what it takes to get a Ph.D. these days? Six years of school and a couple hundred pages of critical thinking. That's it. Effort and no talent, yeilds this crap. They need an alternative to Ph.D. which actually requires the exercise of -- god forbid -- talent and insight!