Thread: Neurological correlations with personality

Default Neurological correlations with personality

I was just wondering if anyone here had an interest in neurology and could speak to the effects of various neurotransmitters/brain regions on personality. For example, I know that low levels of serotonin are correlated with intense religious experiences, increased weight, and increased levels of rejecting offers in the Ultimatum game and low levels of d2 receptors are correlated with "introversion." I was just wondering if anyone had any more little insights like that (hopefully with articles, studies, and links to back up their claims). I would like to find some people that I could have interesting discussions with on the topic.
    Stolen Identity by Argentina

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQjC-q5FBgk

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I managed to make a table of correlations between IM traits and neurotransmitter levels.

S, N, and D stand for Serotonin, Norepinephrin, and Dopamin.
    -, 0, and + stand for Low, Moderate, and High.

S- : I
    S0 : TJ
    S+ : EFP
    N- : IS
    N0
    N+ : EN
    D- : INP
    D0 : FJ
    D+ : EST

(do not confuse Model Phi's "N" which stands for "Norepinephrin" and the "N" IM trait, which stands for "Intuition")

For example, High Norepinephrin levels are correlated to Extrotimness and Intuition, but the T/F and J/P ratios are 1:1. Low Serotonin levels are correlated to Introtimness, with other ratios 1:1.

N0 is correlated to no trait, because all dichotomy ratios are 1:1 (as likely Extrotim than Introtim, Sensing than Intuitive, and so on)

E correlates to all High levels
    I correlates to all Low levels
    S correlates to N- and D+
    N correlates to N+ and D-
    T correlates to S0 and D+
    F correlates to S+ and D0
    J correlates to S0 and D0
    P correlates to S+ and D-

For example, someone who has a Low Serotonin level, a High Norepinephrin level, and a Moderate Dopamin level is :

As likely to be an Extrotim than an Introtim
    Likely Intuitive
    Likely Ethical
    Likely Rational

Of course, -+0's may be ESI's or LIE's, or even LSE's.

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodWanderer View Post
    For example, I know that low levels of serotonin are correlated with intense religious experiences, increased weight, and increased levels of rejecting offers in the Ultimatum game
    In that practical case, while Serotonin has a role in trust, people who don't produce it much may not trust people easily, and are then likely to reject such offers.

Let me make this clear. I am not asking what personal correlations you have made to various levels of neurotransmitters unless you have published a paper in a journal to substantiate your correlations. Also, I am not looking to correlate neurotransmitter levels with socionics. I have my own correlations that I am sure are imprecise and I am trying to expunge any misinformation that I have rather than increase it.

@Kioshi: What is the mechanism on which your model operates? I admit that I am a layman on the subject but, feel free to use jargon. I'll just look up everything that I do not understand. I would prefer that the discussion be more precise than the level that I understand behavioral theory to operate.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kioshi View Post
    The structural model I use has initiative and dominance variables as the principle components of personality. These variables are associated with autonomic-interactional states which have pretty much been the staple of literature on territorial ("social") behavior.

Later literature also takes into account reticular arousal. The model I use includes values for what might be called information overload/underload.

So far I haven't gotten anywhere in my efforts to discuss social physiology. It's difficult because terms that have precise meanings in biology often have various and even contradictory meanings in popular culture. So I'm forced to present it in a more abstract manner, which doesn't seem to work either.

I deleted most of the stuff on territorial behavior. I shifted to a learning theoretic perspective so that I could introduce the cultural variables through the view of culture as a system of symbols. I wrote a paragraph on that. But I haven't really done anything since.
    Observation of how the IM elements appear cultural would be very useful. With that we could know what types are doing what, and also, what their current goals appear to be in real world terms. (or ranges of goals) For example, "ENFjs are working to make more money today, and this is how they are doing it."

Someone is needed to tell us about the way types are changing their habits and strategies. "Last week INTps had these kinds of plans, but this week they seem to have shifted into a different mode of thinking are now planning things like this." I would pay to read that, beacuse that would be useful to know. It would help the socion thrive and make people generally aware about what is going on with it. "Oh I see what you're doing now... yeah I hear ya."

Quote Originally Posted by Kioshi View Post
    There are 16 primary variables in unsynchronized interaction. These are the dominance/initiative variables through which adjustment with others becomes stabilized.
    This seems coincidentally convenient but, the whole post sounds rather intersting. Is there anywhere I can read up on some of this? What are these 16 variables? The concept of activation of certain regions while simultaneously deactivating others reminds of something I was reading about how emotionally evocative scenes have been linked with activation of the amygdala and ventrolateral prefrontal cortex and deactivation of the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex and lateral parietal cortex or how ritalin's activation of the prefrontal cortex and "lessening weaker signals that may act as distractors" helps the people who take it focus.