Thread: Gungrave (anime)

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Gungrave (anime)

We're only about half to 2/3 through it, so I won't check this topic until after we're done with it.

Brandon Heat: LII
    Maria: ESE
    Harry MacDowell: EIE (SLE would be my second choice)
    Big Daddy:
    Dr. Tokioka: idk
    Bear Walken: LSI
    Bob Poundmax: SEI
    Balladbird Lee: LSI
    Bunji Kugashira: SLI > SLE
    Mika: Fe ego
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess my top pick for Big Daddy right now is LSE, but I'm not at all confident about it.
    SEE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Peter brought EII up as a possible typing for Brandon Heat, and I do think it's possible. I also think Fe dual seeking makes sense for him though.

He also brought up ESI for Bunji Kugashira, and while I do think it's possible, I don't think he seems particularly IJ.
    SEE

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have not seen the entire series. I stopped after five episodes, but as simplistic as the series is, you do not need much to gauge the types. Those are plausible types. Big Daddy could be LSI, which would allow for an explanation for Maria's fairly close relationship with him. He could also feasibly be LIE since he takes long-term consideration to effectively running the organization, and sees Harry's flaws in that regard (I read the overall plot summary).

I agree with Brandon Heat's Fe-seeking relationship with both Maria. I could see Harry as being Brandon's supervisor (SLE), from whom Brandon tries to constantly appease and achieve approval.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(I suppose I can talk about this now as long as you haven't seen it all, either. I just want to avoid spoilers.)

Quote Originally Posted by Logos View Post
    I could see Harry as being Brandon's supervisor (SLE), from whom Brandon tries to constantly appease and achieve approval.
    I never saw any hint of this in their relationship at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Logos View Post
    He could also feasibly be LIE since he takes long-term consideration to effectively running the organization, and sees Harry's flaws in that regard (I read the overall plot summary).
    I had considered that. I'm not sure.
    SEE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great show, Great show!

Brandon is the pimp

It was a long time since I saw it so I cant really contribute anything but I give my support anyway

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    I never saw any hint of this in their relationship at all.
    Perhaps I worded it too strongly, so the approval and appeasing is not overt or lavish like a puppy dog. It is more how Brandon trusts and sort of clings to Harry and how Harry at times uses Brandon to his own ends.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pretty sure both of them saw their relationship as that of a team (rather than one of them using the other).

Also, I think Harry is more likely EIE than SLE, though I'm not completely sure. I saw what I believed to be signs of creative Ni in him though. His main strength is his ability to see cause and effect relationships that other people don't see. He excelled because of his foresight and long range planning abilities. And while he isn't a wimp physically (he's reasonably competent in a fight), he's much more likely to leverage the force and physical abilities of those around him than he is to further develop his own.

The reason I didn't see Big Daddy as most likely LIE is because I don't see the Ni. (I'm not sure Se valuing makes sense for him either, but I am even less confident about that.) However, the person Big Daddy was during the story wouldn't have built the organization to be what it was, so either others were almost entirely responsible for that (and if so, why was he the boss?) or he changed (which is possible). That said, I do like and identify with the character Big Daddy. He's probably my favorite character, actually.

I didn't really start liking Brandon until recently, to be honest. For like the first half I kept bitching that he was a pussy even though he was an extremely competent a fighter. The character has grown on me though.

I can easily understand where Harry's coming from, and his Te even seems sort of strong from my perspective. In fact, the only reason I don't think that he's an LIE gone horribly wrong (due to lack of Fi) is because he so strongly appears to have Beta quadra values. It's a little off though... He's obviously unbalanced, and as the story goes on, he appears to age much more quickly than the other characters, making him look like he's breaking or something. Theoretically, if he's SLE or EIE, he should have everything he needs and it wouldn't make sense that he would lose it like that. Maybe he isn't losing it though... maybe that's just my perspective due to different quadra values. And some of his actions make Fi ignoring appear to make sense for his character.
    SEE

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that is because Harry's success came at a price that he was not expecting to pay. Harry has essentially been dead for as long as Brandon has.
    Johari Box

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Overall I agree, but I had noticed that he was rapidly aging before Brandon died. I saw it as foreshadowing.
    SEE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've decided that I didn't particularly care for it. I didn't care for most of the characters, and it didn't go at all the way I would have most liked it to go. Unlike Gurren Lagan, I'm not even sure I can appreciate it artistically. I can see why a lot of people liked it, but the whole thing just seemed completely pointless to me.

Unenjoyable entertainment is only good if you feel like you've learned something from it, but such was not the case with Gungrave. There were some enjoyable parts in the middle of the series, but imo the first and last third rather sucked. The ending didn't even make sense. And what did I learn? To trust my first instincts about a series a bit more (I had said that I didn't want to watch it at first, something I've never done before, and ended up deciding to give it a chance). What else? That people are unreliable? That everything's pointless? idk, I'm certain that I'm exagerating, but the point remains: I didn't care for Gungrave.
    Last edited by Joy; 08-16-2008 at 03:05 AM.
    SEE