Thread: Diana Nyad

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Diana Nyad

I just heard an interview of her on the Jim Rome show today.

From her wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diana_Nyad

For ten years (from 1969 to 1979), Diana was the greatest long- distance swimmer in the world. In 1979, she stroked the longest swim in history, making the 102.5 mile journey from the island of Bimini to Florida.

She broke numerous world records, including the 50-year-old mark for circling Manhattan Island (7 hrs, 57 min) in 1975. She was inducted into the National Women's Hall of Fame in 1986. Diana was honored with her induction in the International Swimming Hall of Fame in 2003.

She currently provides a five-minute radio piece on sports every week for KCRW and National Public Radio called The Score.
    Very sharp, has a lot of energy, enthusiasm and competitive drive. Really an interesting person to listen to.

I think she exemplifies the Enneagram 7 for certain.

http://marketplace.publicradio.org/w...ime=00:22:50.0 This is a piece she did on NPR after the NFL draft analyzing the business aspects of rookies drafted and their salaries

But as far as socionics type? ESTj? ESTp? I can't really figure it out.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now that I think about it, I have a feeling that dbmmama might relate personality-wise to this person.

I think... think... they put out very similar sort of vibes.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nothing?
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry, tereg, everyone's busy arguing in the JuJu-smccosker thread You should probably just give up and go join.

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tiny_dancer View Post
    Sorry, tereg, everyone's busy arguing in the JuJu-smccosker thread You should probably just give up and go join.
    Yeah.

Later though.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tereg View Post
    Now that I think about it, I have a feeling that dbmmama might relate personality-wise to this person.

I think... think... they put out very similar sort of vibes.
    we were watching the olympics this morning and so saw a bunch of stuff on her. lol

there are similarities but a lot more differences and i'll explain why.

where we are the same is that we both have a lot of energy and enthusiasm but that's about it.

she has competitive drive and i do too but not at the extreme level that she does. i would NEVER go that far in any kind of competitive thing that she has over her lifetime. i enjoy competitive little things in my daily life just to get me going and moving toward my dreams... i more allow my dreams to manifest without me working hard toward them.

she went on after just having a baby to train so hard to do the olympics again and i would NEVER do that. i give my all to my children and could never leave any of my babies to do those kinds of things.

her and her friend were talking about fitness for "women" and young girls and the consciousness of women in general. i don't care about women in general. i care about individuals and THEIR consciousness. i am very much about the individual, not the social consciousness of groups of people in society. i work and help people better one on one.

and gosh, she is such a lesbian. why in the world am i being compared to women that give off that vibe? i'm pretty darn feminine. just cause i cuss and just cause i say things kinda bluntly sometimes...i can be "sharp and to the point" as my sister says it. i look very serious and to the point when i want to make a point. i stand up straight and my hand gets sharp as i say what i'm saying. but, i'm still feminine. she says i don't have the lesbian vibe. just an opinionated vibe.

i'm also too all over the place to have stuck with one thing the way she has for so long, only my parenting.

now, whatever that all is in socionics.......

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you make some good, very interesting points actually.

I think the similarity that you are seeing is what I saw as well. But the differences you've mentioned make sense to me though.

Quote Originally Posted by dbmmama View Post
    she has competitive drive and i do too but not at the extreme level that she does. i would NEVER go that far in any kind of competitive thing that she has over her lifetime. i enjoy competitive little things in my daily life just to get me going and moving toward my dreams... i more allow my dreams to manifest without me working hard toward them.
    This tells me that you dream big like she does, but the drive to do it, the motivation to do it differs. The sense of self-fulfillment of her drive seems to differ from yours. And I think there is a bit of a difference there. She seems to go out and seize it whenever the opportunity arises, whereas I think what you're saying here is you're dreams flourish within you after some time then you go out and do it when the time is right.

she went on after just having a baby to train so hard to do the olympics again and i would NEVER do that. i give my all to my children and could never leave any of my babies to do those kinds of things.

her and her friend were talking about fitness for "women" and young girls and the consciousness of women in general. i don't care about women in general. i care about individuals and THEIR consciousness. i am very much about the individual, not the social consciousness of groups of people in society. i work and help people better one on one.
    And I definitely see this in you. This sort of intimate space you're talking about here -- working with individuals and really connecting with them on different planes, that actually sounds a bit > to me.

and gosh, she is such a lesbian. why in the world am i being compared to women that give off that vibe? i'm pretty darn feminine. just cause i cuss and just cause i say things kinda bluntly sometimes...i can be "sharp and to the point" as my sister says it. i look very serious and to the point when i want to make a point. i stand up straight and my hand gets sharp as i say what i'm saying. but, i'm still feminine. she says i don't have the lesbian vibe. just an opinionated vibe.
    I sincerely hope that you didn't think that I made this kind of connection when comparing you to her. That was not my intention at all. Again, I think what I saw were the signs of passion and drive, striving for adventure, strong mind, independent mind, and so forth.

But there is a mindfulness that you have for your priorities. This is not to say that she doesn't have or isn't aware of priorities. But, there seems to be more of an emphasis on grounding yourself first, then pursuing what your heart wants to do.

I hope this makes sense.

i'm also too all over the place to have stuck with one thing the way she has for so long, only my parenting.

now, whatever that all is in socionics.......
    You know, delta actually doesn't sound to bad to me for you.

Anyways, I really appreciate your input on this. Thank you.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you make some good, very interesting points actually.

I think the similarity that you are seeing is what I saw as well. But the differences you've mentioned make sense to me though.

This tells me that you dream big like she does, but the drive to do it, the motivation to do it differs. The sense of self-fulfillment of her drive seems to differ from yours. And I think there is a bit of a difference there. She seems to go out and seize it whenever the opportunity arises, whereas I think what you're saying here is you're dreams flourish within you after some time then you go out and do it when the time is right.

And I definitely see this in you. This sort of intimate space you're talking about here -- working with individuals and really connecting with them on different planes, that actually sounds a bit > to me.

I sincerely hope that you didn't think that I made this kind of connection when comparing you to her. That was not my intention at all. Again, I think what I saw were the signs of passion and drive, striving for adventure, strong mind, independent mind, and so forth.

But there is a mindfulness that you have for your priorities. This is not to say that she doesn't have or isn't aware of priorities. But, there seems to be more of an emphasis on grounding yourself first, then pursuing what your heart wants to do.

I hope this makes sense.

You know, delta actually doesn't sound to bad to me for you.

Anyways, I really appreciate your input on this. Thank you.
    tereg,

first i have to say that the energy shift from those arguments back and forth in those other Si vs Se threads and your post is palatable.

i have to think on what you've proposed about the going out and getting it thing. it as well as what i want to go get are so intertwined at this point in my life it's hard to separate them to analyze. i would have to say though that her drive in swimming could easily parralel my drive in raising my kids, my marriage, my family. i do very much believe "when the time is right." but that time ALWAYS revolves around the development of my children and their potential. i have a keen intuitive understanding of that type of timing, not other kinds mind you.

as far as fi vs fe. i'm still not quite sure of the difference. i think i do both well. when i work with people, i do go very deep, very deep. so deep, most wonder how the hell i knew that about them. those things i know, those deep inner things about people.

i knew you weren't implying i was lesbian. and i don't care about people's sexual orientation. i just wondered why or if people saw me that way and i didn't know it. just a curiousity of perception. i asked sis and she said, no. but she's known to "sugarcoat" things sometimes...nah, i trust her to tell me.

these things "passion and drive, striving for adventure, strong mind, independent mind" yes, i have. and i am very mindful of my priorities, values, what is truly important to me in my life. a main thing i help others with is figuring out their values and creating a life around them.

grounding myself first? i do that because i've learned that i need to or all of my ideals and ideas and hearts desires float out the window. i desire to manifest them, not just think about and dream them. i strive for that balance.

i'm very curious as to this ladies type. when i've been in my best shape, we have similar body types. i workout pretty intense, but she's pretty crazy. but i suppose others have called me crazy with the intensity and knowledge seeking i've been about everything child development, psychology, learning, on and on and figuring out how it all fits with the ideal i've had since a kid and DOING it.

i am very much into theory but i walk my talk.

i understand everything you've said and say with ease. sometimes with others i need to strain a bit to take it in with what makes sense to me. thx

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tereg,

first i have to say that the energy shift from those arguments back and forth in those other Si vs Se threads and your post is palatable.
    I've haven't read much of those threads, but I'll eventually get to it, but I'm glad I could provide some reprieve from that.

i have to think on what you've proposed about the going out and getting it thing. it as well as what i want to go get are so intertwined at this point in my life it's hard to separate them to analyze. i would have to say though that her drive in swimming could easily parralel my drive in raising my kids, my marriage, my family. i do very much believe "when the time is right." but that time ALWAYS revolves around the development of my children and their potential. i have a keen intuitive understanding of that type of timing, not other kinds mind you.
    Well, again, I think I'd point to the fact that her drive seems to be more self-driven. This is not to say that she's being selfish, but her energy is going into things where she challenges herself and pushes herself to be the best that she can be. And it was only after seeing how "far" others have gone in the other direction that she then felt that something needed to be done about that.

You on the other hand, you are others-driven. Yes, it takes a lot of hard work on an individual level, but your first focus is on doing everything you can for others, which then acts to build yourself up.

as far as fi vs fe. i'm still not quite sure of the difference. i think i do both well. when i work with people, i do go very deep, very deep. so deep, most wonder how the hell i knew that about them. those things i know, those deep inner things about people.
    fwiw, I think I'm strong with and as well, but I suppress the more, or rather, I use it sparingly. What takes precedence with me is being able to connect with individuals on a personal, deep level.

i knew you weren't implying i was lesbian. and i don't care about people's sexual orientation. i just wondered why or if people saw me that way and i didn't know it. just a curiousity of perception. i asked sis and she said, no. but she's known to "sugarcoat" things sometimes...nah, i trust her to tell me.
    I think you come across quite feminine to me, but not in a dainty sense. I don't know how to explain it, but I think you come across sufficiently feminine to me.

these things "passion and drive, striving for adventure, strong mind, independent mind" yes, i have. and i am very mindful of my priorities, values, what is truly important to me in my life. a main thing i help others with is figuring out their values and creating a life around them.

grounding myself first? i do that because i've learned that i need to or all of my ideals and ideas and hearts desires float out the window. i desire to manifest them, not just think about and dream them. i strive for that balance.

i'm very curious as to this ladies type. when i've been in my best shape, we have similar body types. i workout pretty intense, but she's pretty crazy. but i suppose others have called me crazy with the intensity and knowledge seeking i've been about everything child development, psychology, learning, on and on and figuring out how it all fits with the ideal i've had since a kid and DOING it.

i am very much into theory but i walk my talk.

i understand everything you've said and say with ease. sometimes with others i need to strain a bit to take it in with what makes sense to me. thx
    Yeah, I'd be inclined to think that she's ESTj, but for some reason ESTp seems plausible.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've haven't read much of those threads, but I'll eventually get to it, but I'm glad I could provide some reprieve from that.

Well, again, I think I'd point to the fact that her drive seems to be more self-driven. This is not to say that she's being selfish, but her energy is going into things where she challenges herself and pushes herself to be the best that she can be. And it was only after seeing how "far" others have gone in the other direction that she then felt that something needed to be done about that.

You on the other hand, you are others-driven. Yes, it takes a lot of hard work on an individual level, but your first focus is on doing everything you can for others, which then acts to build yourself up.

fwiw, I think I'm strong with and as well, but I suppress the more, or rather, I use it sparingly. What takes precedence with me is being able to connect with individuals on a personal, deep level.

I think you come across quite feminine to me, but not in a dainty sense. I don't know how to explain it, but I think you come across sufficiently feminine to me.

Yeah, I'd be inclined to think that she's ESTj, but for some reason ESTp seems plausible.
    the more i've thought about it, i believe she's ESTj.

and everything else you've said about me is right on.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think she's probably ESTj
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit