Thread: Questioning others' types

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Questioning others' types

What is your opinion on this phenomenon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    Holy mud-wrestling bipolar donkeys, Batman!

Retired from posting and drawing Social Security. E-mail or PM to contact.

I pity your souls

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You call that a "phenomenon"? Why?
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Expat View Post
    You call that a "phenomenon"? Why?
    I didn't want to say "thing"

Edit: I might be misusing the word - other words for what I mean are "activity" or "practice."
    Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    Holy mud-wrestling bipolar donkeys, Batman!

Retired from posting and drawing Social Security. E-mail or PM to contact.

I pity your souls

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elro View Post
    What is your opinion on this phenomenon?
    Ok so here's what happens. Let's say there's someone who claims to be, oh, INTp. And let's say he's really, I don't know, maybe ISTj. In order for an ISTj to think he's INTp, he has to have a really distorted version of Socionics running through his head. And he might run around spouting off authoritarian-sounding nonsense and garbage all over based on his erroneous ideas of INTps and Socionics, confusing others (particularly newbies) in the forum. Which could then lead to more people being mistyped and an even more distorted view of Socionics being presented here.

So, what is best? Ignoring it in an effort to be polite but allowing that to happen, or publicly questioning this person's type? I vote for question. Question everything! Question my type too, I don't care! I can handle it! In fact, I like the attention.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just don't question *my* type.
    "Those who make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities..."

- Voltaire

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Questioning is possible, determining is naive.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only opinion I have on this topic is this: I'm sick of these idiots who say "self-typing should take precedence over any other opinion" (or in as many words). Who the fuck brought them up? Mussolini?

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LokiVanguard View Post
    Just don't question *my* type.
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok so here's what happens. Let's say there's someone who claims to know the types and the theory of Socionics. And let's say he or she really misunderstands the true nature of the types and is really bad at typing people and is actually an incompetent moron with an inferior intellect. That person's brain is constant spin, and he or she will inevitably have totally incorrect views on the most fundamental aspects of Socionics and spread bullshit like that you should ignore descriptions of type behaviours and instead focus on the functions -- a typing method that is well-known for leading to grave mistypings. And he or she might run around spouting of authortarian-sounding nonsense and garbage all over about other people's likely types all around based on his or her own erroneous understanding of the types, their attitudes, and their behaviours (which is to be expected of a person who doesn't care about and misunderstands the attitudes and behaviours of the types in the first place). The newbies will read the posts of this idiot, and some of them will probably buy the crap the idiot is proclaiming as truths, and in the worst case scenario it will take them a long time to get rid of spell of such a charlatan and realize that the person is an idiot and that they have been brainwashed.

So what is best? Ignoring the brainwashed idiot and hope that he or she is not capable of brainwashing others too, or publicly state the truth that the person doesn't care about the truth but is only interested in getting attention and ganging up against those who feel like threats because they happen to be intellectually superior?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    The only opinion I have on this topic is this: I'm sick of these idiots who say "self-typing should take precedence over any other opinion" (or in as many words). Who the fuck brought them up? Mussolini?
    I believe the argument to be void as well, because a lot of the time people are right about their own type, and a lot of the time people are wrong.

Creepy-Cyclops

Sometimes it does seem to go a bit on the far side. Forum politics seems to become involved at times.
    Last edited by Cyclops; 08-14-2008 at 09:42 AM.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's only natural and to be expected that people would question other's types in a place like this.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    It's only natural and to be expected that people would question other's types in a place like this.
    The problem is not that people are questioning other people's typings, the problem is that they are doing it on the wrong grounds.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    The problem is not that people are questioning other people's typings, the problem is that they are doing it on the wrong grounds.
    Yes, it is an unofficial rule not to fight on holy grounds. There can be only one!
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Mom View Post
    Ok so here's what happens. Let's say there's someone who claims to be, oh, INTp. And let's say he's really, I don't know, maybe ISTj. In order for an ISTj to think he's INTp, he has to have a really distorted version of Socionics running through his head. And he might run around spouting off authoritarian-sounding nonsense and garbage all over based on his erroneous ideas of INTps and Socionics, confusing others (particularly newbies) in the forum. Which could then lead to more people being mistyped and an even more distorted view of Socionics being presented here.

So, what is best? Ignoring it in an effort to be polite but allowing that to happen, or publicly questioning this person's type? I vote for question. Question everything! Question my type too, I don't care! I can handle it! In fact, I like the attention.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    Ok so here's what happens. Let's say there's someone who claims to know the types and the theory of Socionics. And let's say he or she really misunderstands the true nature of the types and is really bad at typing people and is actually an incompetent moron with an inferior intellect. That person's brain is constant spin, and he or she will inevitably have totally incorrect views on the most fundamental aspects of Socionics and spread bullshit like that you should ignore descriptions of type behaviours and instead focus on the functions -- a typing method that is well-known for leading to grave mistypings. And he or she might run around spouting of authortarian-sounding nonsense and garbage all over about other people's likely types all around based on his or her own erroneous understanding of the types, their attitudes, and their behaviours (which is to be expected of a person who doesn't care about and misunderstands the attitudes and behaviours of the types in the first place). The newbies will read the posts of this idiot, and some of them will probably buy the crap the idiot is proclaiming as truths, and in the worst case scenario it will take them a long time to get rid of spell of such a charlatan and realize that the person is an idiot and that they have been brainwashed.

So what is best? Ignoring the brainwashed idiot and hope that he or she is not capable of brainwashing others too, or publicly state the truth that the person doesn't care about the truth but is only interested in getting attention and ganging up against those who feel like threats because they happen to be intellectually superior?
    LULZ!!!!!!!!!!! Ahahahahahahahaha
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I have an idea. This will probably cause more confusion and harm than it does to solve it but still might be fun. Each post has like a rating system. If you get a high enough rating, that particular post will turn a gold color. If it's low then it will show that person clearly cannot be trusted. But we can forgive people because most people miss as much as they hit. Only posts about socionics would have this, and it will be up to the mods to implement. Practically I'm not sure this can happen, but it would be a tool that could really improve online communication.

I agree this place is havoc for newbies really wanting to understand. Face it nobody wants enlightenment they just want to piss and moan about people they don't like to strangers. =D (and also swoon over people they do like)

Also every post disagrees and argues with every post you don't know who is truly right. That is because there isn't any hardcore data of this shit- just blabberings on about geeky people that need to get laid. Proof people, proof... walk the walk not just talk it.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Winterpark View Post
    LULZ!!!!!!!!!!! Ahahahahahahahaha
    Why? It's true. I confess. I only question Phaedrus's type because I feel threatened in my self-esteem since he's so obviously superior intellectually. So, because I want more attention, I also encourage others to do the same. The sordid truth stands finally revealed. However, I regret nothing. I followed my heart in this.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    I have an idea. This will probably cause more confusion and harm than it does to solve it but still might be fun. Each post has like a rating system. If you get a high enough rating, that particular post will turn a gold color. If it's low then it will show that person clearly cannot be trusted. But we can forgive people because most people miss as much as they hit. Only posts about socionics would have this, and it will be up to the mods to implement. Practically I'm not sure this can happen, but it would be a tool that could really improve online communication.

I agree this place is havoc for newbies really wanting to understand. Face it nobody wants enlightenment they just want to piss and moan about people they don't like to strangers. =D (and also swoon over people they do like)

Also every post disagrees and argues with every post you don't know who is truly right. That is because there isn't any hardcore data of this shit- just blabberings on about geeky people that need to get laid. Proof people, proof... walk the walk not just talk it.
    that is the dumbest idea you could possibly come up with.

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    I agree this place is havoc for newbies really wanting to understand. Face it nobody wants enlightenment they just want to piss and moan about people they don't like to strangers. =D
    speak for yourself
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."