Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Learning how functions operate vs. reading profiles and mistypings

  1. #1
    Angel Alliterator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    66
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Learning how functions operate vs. reading profiles and mistypings

    I recently been doing a lot of research on the functions (which I've never done before) and when you finally learn it and look at how each function operates on each block your type becomes all the more clear to you (or at least to me).


    It amazes me how much clear things are now that I've done the actual research as oppose to just reading descriptions.

    Based on the research and how the functions operate within the Ego, Super-Ego, Super id and id blocs I came to the conclusion of either ENFP or ENTP.

    How in the world did I ever thought I was an ENFJ all this time is beyond me!

    Did you recognized (or rather did you have clarity) after reading how the functions operate in Socionics after struggling with just reading descriptions only?

    Are there any materials that can describe how the Enneagram work in such exquisite detail like Socionics?


    I don't know, they are Quasi-identical so mistyping is possible.

    I think that because I see myself as an actor or dramatic of some sort and reading ENFJ descriptions I though I was.

    But as I read the functions (of the ENFJ) I was just so stunned at how much I am *not* an ENFJ. This has been my main jungian type for almost two years, so this was indeed a surprise.

    But it's true, and BTW I can see now why people have so many complaints of the ENFJ (having Fi and Ne in the id block? Sheesh! Talk about malicious).

    Though of course all the functions in the id block bring forth any type into bad light, but ENFJs (along with ENTp, ENTj, and even ISTp) id block functions really stood out for me.

    Then of course I judge the SUPER-id block (which is like the unconscious desires of people) and the Super-Ego functions (their weakness, basically) and that really hammered home that I was not (and never will be!) an ENFJ (nor ESFP or ISFJ or ESTP).

    When I research the functions of the ENFp, it was clear as day, could relate to the weaknesses found in the Super-Ego block, the unconscious desires of the Super-id, and even the (which was a delightful surprise) idiosyncrasies found in the id block (hear I thought I was the only one who did that *thing* that the ENFps do when using its 8th function in the id block).

    ENTp is somewhat similar with a couple of differences (hence why its my second guess in relation to my type).
    ENFp (IEE, intuitive Subtype)

  2. #2
    JuJu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Springfield, Massachusetts, USA
    TIM
    EIE
    Posts
    2,704
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    When I first started posting here, I thought that I was ENFj as well--based primarily on typings from ppl here, e.g. Dioklecian, etc.

    After I learned more about Socionics, IEE became pretty clear.

    Initially, I had trouble id'ing my type mostly because I was raised environments thick with Se... I believed that I valued it.

    ESFp is the type that fits me 2nd best.

  3. #3
    JuJu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Springfield, Massachusetts, USA
    TIM
    EIE
    Posts
    2,704
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dee View Post
    i remember something about you and LIE from a while ago.
    me, dee?

    ILE was suggested for me, I remember... If LIE was, I'm not sure that I saw the post.

  4. #4
    Éminence grise mikemex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Third Planet
    TIM
    IEE-Ne
    Posts
    1,631
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Keep in mind that belonging to a type means to be in any place within a range of possibilities.
    [] | NP | 3[6w5]8 so/sp | Type thread | My typing of forum members | Johari (Strengths) | Nohari (Weaknesses)

    You know what? You're an individual, and that makes people nervous. And it's gonna keep making people nervous for the rest of your life.
    - Ole Golly from Harriet, the spy.

  5. #5
    JuJu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Springfield, Massachusetts, USA
    TIM
    EIE
    Posts
    2,704
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    mikemex, do you mean, e.g., that as Fi-IEE you're "within a range of possibilities" between IEE and SEE?

    I guess I'd just like you to elaborate on that statement, if possible. Thanks.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,276
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think in the beginning it was easier for me to identify with the MBTTI descriptions of ENFj, but once I started nitpicking the details of the description, the differences were there. I'm not so much a details person There are some descriptions of ENFp that sound more like we're a super-outgoing entertainer.. which I'm not. But yeah, the functions make it easier to figure things out. I'm slowly learning to pinpoint functional preferences in what people say. Not something I'm used to since I'm usually wrapped up in my head, even when I'm trying not to be.

  7. #7
    Angel Alliterator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    66
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Yeah, for example as I mentioned before, the id block functions of ENFj and ENFp are quite different.

    ENFjs having Fi and Ne on the id block makes them overbearing, nosy, gossipy. For the ENFp having Ni and Fe it makes them vengeful and psychologically manipulative.

    ENFj having Ne in the 8th function makes them wanting to generate ideas for fun but seldom take it seriously.

    ENFps with Fe in the 8th function do these mocking Fe gestures and expressions that make seem ironic and funny to others.

    ENFps also have different unconscious desires (in the Super-id block) then ENFjs.

    ENFps want someone to provide them with Si and Te, when they don't have these things in their life they compensate (an ENFp may become sensual as well as focus in health and aesthetics and also become business-like and be good business-people). However they can't quite 'get it' which is why the ISTp can provide them with such things (sensuality and business conscious).
    ENFp (IEE, intuitive Subtype)

  8. #8
    Haikus Sirena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    GAH, US
    TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Posts
    2,549
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tiny_dancer View Post
    There are some descriptions of ENFp that sound more like we're a super-outgoing entertainer.. which I'm not. But yeah, the functions make it easier to figure things out. I'm slowly learning to pinpoint functional preferences in what people say. Not something I'm used to since I'm usually wrapped up in my head, even when I'm trying not to be.
    This...and I basically had to let go of my preconceived notions of what an extrovert and introvert are supposed to be like and look at the functions. I also started realizing how much I relate to other ENFps and how comfortable I am around Deltas. I came to the forum thinking I was INFp, but a lot of things never seemed quite right about it. I was basically just going by the idea that I was sure I was NF and an introvert (or so I thought). Oh yeah, and a "p" for sure. I guess I still have my doubts from time to time since I am constantly re-assessing things, but the more I learn about socionics, the more sure I become of being ENFp.

    Oh yeah, it also helped to look at the functions I don't value.

  9. #9
    Angel Alliterator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    66
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sirena View Post
    This...and I basically had to let go of my preconceived notions of what an extrovert and introvert are supposed to be like and look at the functions. I also started realizing how much I relate to other ENFps and how comfortable I am around Deltas. I came to the forum thinking I was INFp, but a lot of things never seemed quite right about it. I was basically just going by the idea that I was sure I was NF and an introvert (or so I thought). Oh yeah, and a "p" for sure. I guess I still have my doubts from time to time since I am constantly re-assessing things, but the more I learn about socionics, the more sure I become of being ENFp.

    Oh yeah, it also helped to look at the functions I don't value.
    You mean the Super-Ego block, right? I was doing a job this past weekend that require a lot of Se and I got very fatigued and felt like I was dying of boredom, yet I had to continue to finish the job.

    I realized that I was using Se which is not valued and is weak in ENFps.
    ENFp (IEE, intuitive Subtype)

  10. #10
    Haikus Sirena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    GAH, US
    TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Posts
    2,549
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angel Alliterator View Post
    You mean the Super-Ego block, right? I was doing a job this past weekend that require a lot of Se and I got very fatigued and felt like I was dying of boredom, yet I had to continue to finish the job.

    I realized that I was using Se which is not valued and is weak in ENFps.
    Yes, along with Ti PoLR. I've just recently understood how much Ti bothers, especially when it is thrown forcefully at me. It either makes me really bored or annoys me. I've just been hit a lot with it lately, so I'm feeling oversensitive about it. I've also started to realize how much I appreciate Te, when done in a soft way (not as much from Te leading types). I've been able to notice ways in which I display Te HA. Fe and Ni too, to a lesser degree.

  11. #11
    unefille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    841
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sirena View Post
    Yes, along with Ti PoLR. I've just recently understood how much Ti bothers, especially when it is thrown forcefully at me. It either makes me really bored or annoys me. I've just been hit a lot with it lately, so I'm feeling oversensitive about it. I've also started to realize how much I appreciate Te, when done in a soft way (not as much from Te leading types). I've been able to notice ways in which I display Te HA. Fe and Ni too, to a lesser degree.
    I find a lot of the threads (especially with the squabbling over people's self-typing) to be either Ti valuing or Se valuing and just reading them exhausts me. Not to mention that they generally seem pointless and unhelpful.
    ()
    3w4-1w2-5w4 sx/sp

  12. #12
    Haikus Sirena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    GAH, US
    TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Posts
    2,549
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by unefille View Post
    I find a lot of the threads (especially with the squabbling over people's self-typing) to be either Ti valuing or Se valuing and just reading them exhausts me. Not to mention that they generally seem pointless and unhelpful.
    Agreed, which is the reason I've become somewhat selective about the threads I read. It just all seems like a pissing contest sometimes.

  13. #13
    Angel Alliterator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    66
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I hate Ti induced threads here and in other Typology boards that I normally just quickly browse some (that catch my eye) or completely avoid it.

    The insufferable details feels like an eternity and an exhaustion to deal with, this is one aspect of life that I avoid for the most part.

    I can deal with Se for a bit (even if I feel like I am dying and fatigued after a while) but I can't deal with Ti (I can't imagine living with it everyday either).
    ENFp (IEE, intuitive Subtype)

  14. #14
    Haikus Sirena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    GAH, US
    TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Posts
    2,549
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angel Alliterator View Post
    I hate Ti induced threads here and in other Typology boards that I normally just quickly browse some (that catch my eye) or completely avoid it.

    The insufferable details feels like an eternity and an exhaustion to deal with, this is one aspect of life that I avoid for the most part.

    I can deal with Se for a bit (even if I feel like I am dying and fatigued after a while) but I can't deal with Ti (I can't imagine living with it everyday either).
    I hear ya! When I am able to avoid the insufferable details, I'm fine because I'll just completely disengage and do something more interesting. The problem comes when I am forced to attend to these things. Oh my god, I just want to pluck my own eyes out! LOL. And what I hate even more is when someone tries to make me feel like there's something wrong with me for not giving a crap about these things. Ugh, I have to deal with it at work almost everyday...especially lately. Eh, to be fair, I probably interpret anything they say as condescending because of how turned off I am by the way they communicate it. They just seem so inflexible and unwilling to understand that not everyone does or should value their way of doing things. Okay, I'm done ranting for tonight. hehehe

  15. #15
    ~~rubicon~~ Rubicon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Chatbox
    TIM
    SEI, 9
    Posts
    5,268
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default



    <3 <3 Ti



    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

  16. #16
    Haikus Sirena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    GAH, US
    TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Posts
    2,549
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post


    <3 <3 Ti



    *PUKES*

  17. #17
    ~~rubicon~~ Rubicon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Chatbox
    TIM
    SEI, 9
    Posts
    5,268
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sirena View Post
    *PUKES*
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

  18. #18
    Haikus Sirena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    GAH, US
    TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Posts
    2,549
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    Fe attack! hehe

    P.S. Isn't that Jessica in your avatar?

  19. #19
    Park's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Beyond the blue horizon
    TIM
    SLI
    Posts
    13,088
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sirena View Post
    P.S. Isn't that Jessica in your avatar?
    You're pathetic.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

  20. #20
    jessica129's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,122
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    lol, too great. Why didn't i think of that as MY avatar?!

  21. #21
    ~~rubicon~~ Rubicon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Chatbox
    TIM
    SEI, 9
    Posts
    5,268
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sirena View Post
    P.S. Isn't that Jessica in your avatar?
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

  22. #22
    Haikus Sirena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    GAH, US
    TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Posts
    2,549
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Winterpark View Post
    You're pathetic.
    And you're an ass. What's your point?
    Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    lol, too great. Why didn't i think of that as MY avatar?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    LOL. Wow, how did I remember that?!

  23. #23
    tereg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    TIM
    EII/INFj
    Posts
    4,684
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    When I took the children's version of the MBTI, I tested INTP.

    Later in my adolescence, I actually thought I was an ESFJ.

    Then around the end of my undergraduate career, I thought that I was ISFJ.

    I kept wanting to believe that I actually was an S in the MBTI sense because of my "awareness" of my immediate surroundings, yet still could not dispute the N arguments my dad had about missing details, etc.

    But I relied basically on type descriptions to arrive at the type.

    When I first came around to Socionics, I had typed INFj with the Type-Descriptor test. Again, reading various type descriptions reaffirmed my test findings, and felt like a decent enough of a fit.

    But when I started to understand the IM elements better, it became abundantly clear that I am an ENFp. I felt more solidly after understanding the individual elements than I ever have after going by type descriptions alone. Looking back at what I had typed it seems rather rediculous that I typed that way. But, again, it was a combination of mistyping myself and only going off of more generalized type descriptions.

    Quote Originally Posted by Angel Alliterator View Post
    I hate Ti induced threads here and in other Typology boards that I normally just quickly browse some (that catch my eye) or completely avoid it.

    The insufferable details feels like an eternity and an exhaustion to deal with, this is one aspect of life that I avoid for the most part.

    I can deal with Se for a bit (even if I feel like I am dying and fatigued after a while) but I can't deal with Ti (I can't imagine living with it everyday either).
    Though I don't believe type threads are necessarily Ti induced threads, when a thread reaches a length (arbitrary length) to where I feel like it would take several excruciating hours to have to read through all of the details and all of the posts (because I feel so compelled to read all the details and all of the posts), I frustratingly, begrudgingly move on.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sirena View Post
    I hear ya! When I am able to avoid the insufferable details, I'm fine because I'll just completely disengage and do something more interesting. The problem comes when I am forced to attend to these things. Oh my god, I just want to pluck my own eyes out! LOL. And what I hate even more is when someone tries to make me feel like there's something wrong with me for not giving a crap about these things.
    *anger rising from images from my past*
    INFj

    9w1 sp/sx

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •