INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How do you make decisions?

try to keep it as brief as possible.

Myself:

gather pros and cons until an outside force creates urgency and/or an obstacle that makes the decision obvious.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

decide which option is best

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I tend to think that solutions that come immediately to mind are the best ones - the important thing is that I start resolving the difficulty as soon as possible. I know many people who procrasinate, but to have a general plan and make amendments as you go along is the best way for me.

I know that noone can be expected to come up with a perfect solution, and I also know that circumstances change, hence a general solution with modifications from time to time is best for me.

There are many times when I cannot bring myself to do something out of sheer inertia. I have solutions, but I just don't feel any immediacy or I feel incapable of carrying out the activity.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

YOURE ALL WRONG.

THE BEST THING TO DO IN ANY DECISION IS TO DECIDE WHICH OPTION IS BEST.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mimosa Pudica View Post
    I postpone them.
    But you must make some sometimes - you made the decision to reply to this thread, for example.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    Holy mud-wrestling bipolar donkeys, Batman!

Retired from posting and drawing Social Security. E-mail or PM to contact.

I pity your souls

TIM
    Se/Ni sx/sp
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I decide which option is best.
    maybe a saint is just a dead prick with a good publicist
    maybe tommorow's statues are insecure without their foes
    go ask the frog what the scorpion knows

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First I run it by logic, then I run it by ethics... but it usually ends up being gut.
    SLI/ISTp -- Te subtype

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by force my hand View Post
    First I run it by logic, then I run it by ethics... but it usually ends up being gut.
    i like this. I'd like an example .. Force my Hand. What's your name, anyway?

also i mean.. decide what option is best but how do you DECIDE?

when niffweed said it i automatically assumed best meant most feasible for the intended goal according to real time assessments of the real world.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I weigh the most probable short and long term consequences against each other and in relation to the most probable short and long term needs.
    Last edited by Joy; 08-09-2008 at 01:53 AM.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Kensington View Post
    i like this. I'd like an example .. Force my Hand. What's your name, anyway?
    Let me blab about an example (my name is Kent, btw):

Recently there were some problems with my contract at work, with respect to my pay. I am working 9-10 hours a day, but only getting credit for 8 as I work for $X amount on a per day basis calculated on a 40 hour work-week (8 hours a day).

I brought this up with my boss, saying that I thought it was unacceptable to work a free day-and-a-half each pay-period. He disagreed, based on 'expectations'. However, I pointed out that because my hourly rate is based on an 8 hour day, it makes as much sense to expect me to work 9 hours as it would be for me to expect to work only 7. This (among other factors not mentioned for brevity) would be the logic.

Ethics came in afterwards when I realized that hey, this is a great opportuinity, and I should be thankful for the job in the first place. I am receiving some great experience, so do I feel 'right' in altering my hours to accurately reflect my pay?

In the end, my gut says to take it on a day-by-day basis. Somedays I work 8 hours diligently, some days I take it easy, but maybe stay 'officially' for 9 hours.
    SLI/ISTp -- Te subtype

Creepy-Diana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I makke a few split-second calculations for the short term, then check for degree of alignment with long-term goals. Mostly I just flow with life.
    And this, too, shall pass away.

ILI

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diana View Post
    depends on the decision. . . Different methods for different decisons. Do you have a certain kind of decision in mind?

hm no.. but i would love to hear it.

how about this:

deciding between two jobs. You have two things you want from the job: more money and a desirable location.

Job one has more money and a guaranteed bonus or higher paying rank if you stay there a year or other set time schedule, but it has a so so location; job two has a great location but slightly less money, with a chance of promotion (higher pay), but this is not certain and you simply don't have the facts to make an educated guess by the time you have to make a decision. You value location and money equally.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how about this:

deciding between two jobs. You have two things you want from the job: more money and a desirable location.

Job one has more money and a guaranteed bonus or higher paying rank if you stay there a year or other set time schedule, but it has a so so location; job two has a great location but slightly less money, with a chance of promotion (higher pay), but this is not certain and you simply don't have the facts to make an educated guess by the time you have to make a decision. You value location and money equally.
    What the difference between A's higher paying rank and B's possible promotion, money-wise. How long do you really think you'll be with either job at this point in your life, and how does that effect the possible pay schemes?
    SLI/ISTp -- Te subtype

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I were you, I would know that my gut would be leaning to one over the other, even if I did consciously know it. Flip a coin on it - that may bring insight onto which one you really want, assuming you also go by your gut, and/or are comfortable doing it.

Also, the way you phrase the dilemma makes me think you value location more than pay. Why do I think this? Money is described in objective terms, while location is described in more emotional terms.
    SLI/ISTp -- Te subtype

Creepy-Diana

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What the difference between A's higher paying rank and B's possible promotion, money-wise. How long do you really think you'll be with either job at this point in your life, and how does that effect the possible pay schemes?
    hm this is not a real situation i just made it up. something that is complex and for which there are competing desires, and where information is not available. What would one do in order to decide how to proceed?

I think your questions look for facts.. that aren't there in my example. In that case would you weigh which was more certain or risk the option that could, regardless of likelihood, pay off more?

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I were you, I would know that my gut would be leaning to one over the other, even if I did consciously know it. Flip a coin on it - that may bring insight onto which one you really want, assuming you also go by your gut, and/or are comfortable doing it.

Also, the way you phrase the dilemma makes me think you value location more than pay. Why do I think this? Money is described in objective terms, while location is described in more emotional terms.

i do value location more than pay.

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diana View Post
    Job 2. I decided by which had the best chance of providing everything I wanted. While Job 1 had guaranteed money, there's no chance of changing a location, but Job 2 had the location, and there is the chance of improving the money situation.
    yes but totally unsubstantiated chance. but ok. I see more of how you made the decision. Thanks!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hm this is not a real situation i just made it up.
    Oh, haha, never mind then!

But I think what I said is still applicable with respect to using your gut..
    SLI/ISTp -- Te subtype

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's not a real life example as I doubt people are that single minded about such decisions. At least I'm not. Clearly there will be other things that will be important factors (what will be better for my children (school, friends), my husband, my future career, my life goals, interests, relations to friends, future price of house, etc.)

If I isolate for the sake of this discussion, I'd go for the great location as I see a possibility to get both location and pay if I manage to have a promotion. I'll trust myself to manage that.
    this is also helpful. myself, i cannot trust myself to manage a mistake as easily as you.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's not a real life example as I doubt people are that single minded about such decisions. At least I'm not.
    I know I'm not, but if asking for advice, I might frame it in such light.

Thinking about the topic, I find that I like factual advice much better than emotional. In cases where a pondering a decision publicly, I resent advice that's tossed at me in emotional terms.
    SLI/ISTp -- Te subtype

Creepy-Diana

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why not? If you fail, you can always move again??
    haha. I don't have more Te for you at the moment

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how about this:

Definately Job A for me. The bolded part of is what i'd look for; the bolded part of Job B is definately not good for me.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

when niffweed said it i automatically assumed best meant most feasible for the intended goal according to real time assessments of the real world.
    it was a response to the absurdity of having to classify a decision making process.

i was merely attempting to indicate that in making a decision, i tend to engage in the process of deciding. that is all.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how about this:

what the hell kind of decision is this if you value location and money equally? what's the point of including these variables if you value them equally? in actuality i clearly don't value them equally. without that, this becomes a risk/reward situation which is so poorly elucidated and vague that to go about distinguishing either option becomes utterly meaningless.

i'll take whichever job entails tasks that i more enjoy or would prefer doing, because that's what matters to me. since you haven't given me that information i can't even begin answer your extremely generalized and useless question.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Job B.

Comfortable location = happier me = better productivity = good chance to earn promotion, with patience
    And this, too, shall pass away.

ILI

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I definitely agree. But how can you give emotional advice about a thing like payment?
    Wasn't thinking so much about an objective factor like money, but rather something more subjective like location. ("OoOoOh, NYC is so kewl, you MUST move THERE!")
    SLI/ISTp -- Te subtype

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i ask my inner intuition. the answer is always the one that makes my life flow in the way i want.

there are a lot of variables that are important to me, but my inner intuition already knows what they are. so, i trust it to tell me which way to "turn" in any given moment. and i know that the exact "right" thing will show up when it's the exact "right" "time" for it to.

i make decisions in the moment for that moment, which have profound affects on the long term, big picture. i may not know what i'm doing 5 minutes from now or 5 years from now, but i do know that my inner intuition will tell me exactly what to do, what decisions to make that will be just right for right then.

"stuff" shows up on my path that corresponds with my inner intuition and then decisions are easy to make then. but only in that moment when the time was right.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The biggest drive for any decision I make is: will I enjoy/like the outcome?
    Then, I try to consider which are the most efficient and enjoyable means to reach that outcome.
    Then, I try to consider if said actions will impact negatively onto other people.
    Then a decision is reached.

If the decision involves other people, the first line of the algorithm becomes an attempt at pareto-optimization of everybody's preferences
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Carla View Post
    Flip three coins and then consult my Magic 8-Ball.
    Before being explained by Socionics, I was surprised to learn that not all types of people make their decisions this way.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First I gather all available facts and rationalize the situation. Then I just wait for the answer to come to me. If I am forced to make a decision before the answer has matured I sometimes make a temporary decision which I might revert later. Sometimes you need to do this in order to get people off your back. Or I just go by the guts if not enough information is available to rationalize the situation.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Umm, based on love? =p

I usually make things harder for myself since that's how I get the kind of intense feelings that I crave. I never ever made a difficult life choice by weighing in the pros and cons. Instead I put myself in situations where only 'love can save the day' (Don't call me a carebear though, as situations where only love can win out are actually very rare and very brutal)

I am so bad at making choices though I frequently have to have advice from somebody else. I believe strongly though in placing oneself in difficult circumstances because that's how you find your duals.

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17 View Post
    what the hell kind of decision is this if you value location and money equally? what's the point of including these variables if you value them equally? in actuality i clearly don't value them equally. without that, this becomes a risk/reward situation which is so poorly elucidated and vague that to go about distinguishing either option becomes utterly meaningless.

i'll take whichever job entails tasks that i more enjoy or would prefer doing, because that's what matters to me. since you haven't given me that information i can't even begin answer your extremely generalized and useless question.
    the point of including them is because you value them equally. you will have to decide, and the way you decide will be different because one way is not more logical than the other. In this example I tell you what you value as to remove variables.

this question has been useful to me though.. i've seen how you people have answered it differently.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a hard question for me because in real life I wouldn't choose based only on these two criteria. It will make my answer somewhat artificial and not accurately reflecting the truth. But well, I'll try. I'll make the naive assumption that "all other variables are equal" except the ones you picked.

Job one: good money now, more money in the future, decreased free time (I assume bad location means it takes a longer time to get there)

Job two: less money now, possibly more money in the future, increased free time

If we assume I was single and in good mental and physical health I would easily choose job one. However things like health and family situation would affect my decision. If I had health problems which I needed to tackle or had a family with small kids who need my time I might choose Job two instead. This is the best answer I can give...

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The way you put it, there is no way to make a clear decision. And jobs are not just a question of money vs location. There are the longer-term perspectives. It's a case by case situation, and you try to make the best decision. And sometimes you'll make a mistake.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if I value location and money equally and
    great + so so(*)>more + slightly less(*)

(*) algebric sum: so so and slightly less would be negative numbers, so it's actually a subtraction if you take

if that inequality is true, then I would choose job 2, otherwise job 1
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    if I value location and money equally and
    great + so so(*)>more + slightly less(*)

(*) algebric sum: so so and slightly less would be negative numbers, so it's actually a subtraction if you take

if that inequality is true, then I would choose job 2, otherwise job 1
    So, you make decisions using ?

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very often I don't make decisions consciously, I just jump into action.

I was talking with my girl friend recently about her 92 year old grandfather, who used to be a millionaire. The guy is quite old and lost most of his mental abilities, but from what she tells me, I think he used to have been ILE: he was an inventor and CEO of a machine factory (and had many of the pathologies specifuc to ILE when to go pathological). Anyway, my gf said about him, that he became millionaire not because he was a hard worker or all that smart in business (he wasn't, because the financial aspects of the business had to be handled by his son), but simply because he jumped into action and tried many things. If you try many things, you're more likely to have successes, I think.

This is also my own psychology to some extent: I simply act on the circumstances and opportunities around, without much conscious thinking. If you ask me "who gave you permission to do that?", I'll answer "Who was there to stop me?" It's not that I purposely break rules, it's more that I'm blind to them.

Now that I think of it, persistently acting upon opportunities is probably a dead giveaway of leading Ne. Thanks, Ms. Kensington, for expanding my insight ;-)
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast