Thread: Excuses in argument

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Excuses in argument

alpha: i must not have worded it correctly; you misunderstood me; I'm not in my right mind

beta: you caught me at a bad time; that wasn't the right time to say that; you shouldn't have said that and made me look bad

gamma: You're not talking about the same thing (failing to consider other possibilities); that wouldn't happen; why do you care about that (theory, relevant hypotheticals); you've never had sex (to discount someone's argument)

deltas: you can't be trusted/you're a bad person; you can do it another way; I like/hate her; red herring types of statements (need help on this one)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Delta?: You fail to understand the complexities of the situation and how the details effect certain subtleties in the outcome. (Te, Ne, Si)
    SLI/ISTp -- Te subtype

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I use all of them I make excuses, excuse me but that's who I am.

Sorry

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Kensington View Post
    alpha: i must not have worded it correctly; you misunderstood me; I'm not in my right mind

beta: you caught me at a bad time; that wasn't the right time to say that; you shouldn't have said that and made me look bad

gamma: You're not talking about the same thing (failing to consider other possibilities); that wouldn't happen; why do you care about that (theory, relevant hypotheticals); you've never had sex (to discount someone's argument)

deltas: you can't be trusted/you're a bad person; you can do it another way; I like/hate her; red herring types of statements (need help on this one)
    I probably do what's attributed to alpha most and lol at the bolded bit.

Not sure how to change the delta one or anything though.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default x

Alpha: I am getting hard at your idea
    Beta: either I have created YOUR idea or your idea is WRONG
    Gamma: I am too hostile smartass to talk to you
    Delta: I am taking drugs and I cannot think about your ideas just about now
    ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

Creepy-Diana

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you've never had sex (to discount someone's argument)

SEE Unknown Subtype
    6w7 sx/so

[21:29] hitta: idealism is just the gap between the thought of death
    [21:29] hitta: and not dying

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My excuses tend towards "come on, guys, this is ridiculous bullshit; the actual point is..."

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do many of these not sound like excuses to anyone else?
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    Do many of these not sound like excuses to anyone else?
    So what's your excuse, Joy?
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going to take the word "excuse" to mean "leave", similarly to how one excuses him or herself from a meal or meeting.

When I excuse myself from an argument/debate, it's usually due to various forms of "I don't feel like talking about this". The reasons usually have to do with knowing no good will come of it (possibly because the person just wants to have someone to argue with and I'm not interested in being drawn in to providing fodder for whatever drama they desire), feeling too impatient to deal with that person atm (possibly because the person needs to have too much explained to him/her), the person continually nitpicking things that are besides the point or bringing up things that are irrelevant or extremely unlikely to happen, irreconcilable differences in premises, and/or simply being bored with the conversation.
    SEE

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ah, well, joy, i meant that its an excuse for losing an argument, logically.

If my points don't make logical sense, i might say, oh, im sorry, i was not in my right mind. That doesn't make my argument right. It's an excuse, or a reason why I failed.

If a gamma says "you've never had sex" to make someone look stupid after they've given an opinion or loose argument about forming a utopia, or why star wars is great, that doesn't refute or address their argument.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Kensington View Post
    ah, well, joy, i meant that its an excuse for losing an argument, logically.

If my points don't make logical sense, i might say, oh, im sorry, i was not in my right mind. That doesn't make my argument right. It's an excuse, or a reason why I failed.
    Usually people don't think they've "lost" an argument. Many times the individuals are making cases for different perspectives, and neither of them is entirely right or entirely wrong.

"Logic" is often in the eye of the beholder. What is illogical to one person is logical to another. None of us can lay claim to THE truth in its entirety (except phaedrus, of course), and none of us is THE authority on what is ultimately logical and what is ultimately not (except phaedrus, of course).

Also, I don't see most discussions as something that a person can "win" or "lose", even if there's a disagreement.

In addition, if I was incorrect, I was just simply wrong. I don't see why I would need to come up with a specific reason or justification for it. "Oh, I was mistaken" suffices.

If I was being bitchy, however, that's different. I may say something along the lines of "sorry, I'm feeling just feeling ornery today" or something like that (possibly in a PM).

I guess what it comes down to is that you're looking for how people come to terms with their Ti mistakes, and I'm telling you that Ti isn't as important as Te or Fi. (Not objectively, of course. Just from my perspective.)

If a gamma says "you've never had sex" to make someone look stupid after they've given an opinion or loose argument about forming a utopia, or why star wars is great, that doesn't refute or address their argument.
    When Peter does this it's pretty much his way of telling someone that they're just being a pathetic little bitch or putting too much importance on something that doesn't really matter. His perception is that no further progress can be made, so he's saying, "You're making this debate stupid and pointess, so I'm going to respond in kind," or "We've reached an impass, so I'm going to give you what you want, a flame war." He's also telling them what they're going to accomplish by behaving that way (not having sex ).
    SEE

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    He's also telling them what they're going to accomplish by behaving that way (not having sex ).
    Pathetic little bitches are like my second most powerful aphrodisiac.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Crazedrat?
    SEE

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hahahahah
    SEE Unknown Subtype
    6w7 sx/so

[21:29] hitta: idealism is just the gap between the thought of death
    [21:29] hitta: and not dying