Thread: Do animals have type?

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Do animals have type?

And if so, how does it manifest itself, is it perhaps another system than Psychological Types?

An example: my gf has two males cats, a 4 and 2 year old. The oldest one is snugly and comes to sit with me, but more often with my gf. The 2 year old is somewhat of a social retard, he does not understand how to ask for attention. He is a strange cat: when you throw the plastic cap of a bottle, he brings it back like a dog, and he never gets enough of it. Sometimes he feels down, and he can't be cheered up, so I get a plastic cap of a coke bottle and throw it, and in no-time he's happy again!

He also doesn't know how to ask for getting petted... unless I'm in the toilet, for some reason he learned that's the perfect place to be petted

According to my gf, when I'm not at her place, he often goes wandering around looking for me. How she knows this, is a complete mystery to me, but it's flattering anyway. I think he must be SLI
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

Punk
    TIM
    ESE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by consentingadult View Post
    And if so, how does it manifest itself, is it perhaps another system than Psychological Types?
    Let's create a system for animals.

An example: my gf has two males cats, a 4 and 2 year old. The oldest one is snugly and comes to sit with me, but more often with my gf.
    SEI

The 2 year old is somewhat of a social retard, he does not understand how to ask for attention. He is a strange cat: when you throw the plastic cap of a bottle, he brings it back like a dog, and he never gets enough of it.

Sometimes he feels down, and he can't be cheered up, so I get a plastic cap of a coke bottle and throw it, and in no-time he's happy again!

He also doesn't know how to ask for getting petted... unless I'm in the toilet, for some reason he learned that's the perfect place to be petted
    ILI IM type with an EII EM type.

Cats seem to really like it when people are sitting on toilets.

WHY THE HELL IS THAT?

According to my gf, when I'm not at her place, he often goes wandering around looking for me. How she knows this, is a complete mystery to me, but it's flattering anyway. I think he must be SLI
    Your gf must be EII because they have mind-reading powers when focus hard enough.

Okay, SLI IM with an EII EM type. He's his own activator, he must have a lot of fun with himself. Good personality setup.

Mentioned
    Post(s)
    Tagged
    Thread(s)

I think it's likely that other animals do or can have psychological types, being as how we are animals as well. However, whether they are the same or even present in animals other than humans currently, I cannot say. I think there is enough variance in some animals to say yes, but the evidence is not conclusive.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

whenever i spend a bit of time around a cat i always spontaneously end up typing them because it makes so much sense to do so. their personalities are as varied as those of humans, and there is a clear variation in how well cats get along with other cats and/or with humans.

i have once successfully predicted a huge conflict between an ESTj and INFp cat.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by consentingadult View Post
    Do animals have type? And if so, how does it manifest itself, is it perhaps another system than Psychological Types?
    It is a completely different other psychological system and to answer your question, yes, animals have types - small, big, large types.

An example: my gf has two males cats, a 4 and 2 year old. The oldest one is snugly and comes to sit with me
    Definitely SLI.

The 2 year old is somewhat of a social retard, he does not understand how to ask for attention. He is a strange cat: when you throw the plastic cap of a bottle, he brings it back like a dog, and he never gets enough of it. Sometimes he feels down, and he can't be cheered up, so I get a plastic cap of a coke bottle and throw it, and in no-time he's happy again!
    Hmm, this is going to be hard. I think dog's soul is trapped in this cat you're talking about, so a definitive typing must wait until you tell me everything about this "cat".

We're getting closer, I think it is an impostor. Does it drink from the toilet ?

Quote Originally Posted by Kramer View Post
    Let's create a system for animals.
    I'm working on it, be patient please. What kind of animal you want to be ? A pelican ? Hope so - it fits my large system of animals.

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    whenever i spend a bit of time around a cat i always spontaneously end up typing them because it makes so much sense to do so.
    What kind of questions do you ask cat ? What is your name ? What are your hobbies ? What description(s) and functions fit you best cat, etc. ?

their personalities are as varied as those of humans, and there is a clear variation in how well cats get along with other cats and/or with humans.
    I think they were breed to get along with humans in the first place but yea, alright.

i have once successfully predicted a huge conflict between an ESTj and INFp cat.
    What happened ?

Quote Originally Posted by nil View Post
    I think there is enough variance in some animals to say yes, but the evidence is not conclusive.
    I can fund your research.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your gf must be EII because they have mind-reading powers when focus hard enough.
    Nah, my GF is so stereotypical SEI (sweet, chubby, loves salsa dancing, making clothes, watching movies, cooking and eating), it's hilarious at times!

The mind-reading thing is more likely mobilizing-Ti going nuts.
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Animals definitely have types. Obvious going on here. All the cats I've had have had such huge personalities...mostly crazy.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well hello three year old thread. Same girlfriend, CA?
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkster View Post
    Well hello three year old thread. Same girlfriend, CA?
    Same GF, but now I am no longer a visitor to her place ;-)

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now you're a resident.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkster View Post
    Now you're a resident.
    And I'm semi-dualized!

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has my LSI cat been discussed here? She hates me. She used to get along best with the SLI husband, but now she seems very fond of the ILE daughter. The toddler (too young to have any idea re type) scares her becasue she's in the tail-pulling age, so there's no love there yet.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fucking LMAO. This is the stupidest thread title I've ever heard.

But I guess your out-of-touch-with-reality self really is curious.

No, they do not have a type.

They may APPEAR to have a type i.e. an energetic, "happy" dog, but they do not have the necessary cognitive functioning to even begin to compose a socionics type.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Humans are animals.
    Humans have types.
    Animals have types.
    BAM
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

Mentioned
    Post(s)
    Tagged
    Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
    Humans are animals.
    Humans have types.
    Animals have types.
    BAM
    Different evolutionary levels, bro. We don't even know what causes personality to develop.

TIM
    Ne-LII
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nil View Post
    Different evolutionary levels, bro. We don't even know what causes personality to develop.
    Evolution is not linear. Different animals evolved with different traits, primates esp humans, evolved with an emphasis on intellegence. There is no level of evolution per se.

As for the topic at hand. I think individuality in mammals has a lot to do with the presence of the Cerebral Cortex

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerebral_cortex
    Last edited by Bluenoir; 04-05-2011 at 06:36 AM.
    The mode of goodness conditions one to happiness, passion conditions him to the fruits of action, and ignorance to madness.

Chapter 14, Verse 9.
    The Bhagavad Gita

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    Fucking LMAO. This is the stupidest thread title I've ever heard.

But I guess your out-of-touch-with-reality self really is curious.

No, they do not have a type.

They may APPEAR to have a type i.e. an energetic, "happy" dog, but they do not have the necessary cognitive functioning to even begin to compose a socionics type.
    they do have senses. Sometimes more or less than us, but they can be compared.
    They have lot's of things that can be compared. So why can't their information processing be compared?

Maybe... you are out of touch with reality?

I would expect animals to have a brain that's suited for sensing, mostly extraverted. This reminds me of Ezra btw hehe

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    they do have senses. Sometimes more or less than us, but they can be compared.
    They have lot's of things that can be compared. So why can't their information processing be compared?

Maybe... you are out of touch with reality?

I would expect animals to have a brain that's suited for sensing, mostly extraverted. This reminds me of Ezra btw hehe
    Obv

ETA: how can I be out of touch with reality but an extroverted sensor? Surely they exclude each other.

TIM
    Se/Ni sx/sp
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    Animals definitely have types. Obvious going on here. All the cats I've had have had such huge personalities...mostly crazy.

oh my god... fucking ADORABLE
    maybe a saint is just a dead prick with a good publicist
    maybe tommorow's statues are insecure without their foes
    go ask the frog what the scorpion knows

Punk
    TIM
    ESE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absurd View Post
    I'm working on it, be patient please. What kind of animal you want to be ? A pelican ? Hope so - it fits my large system of animals.
    I want to be a cat god. Humans should build me pyramids. I will rule this world with my iron kitty paws.

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dogs appear to more or less possess the kind of individual character traits on which we focus when casting out types for people.

That said, my two dogs are LSI and SEE.

Mentioned
    Post(s)
    Tagged
    Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by k0rpsey View Post
    There are only two types of animals: delicious and sexy.
    Yum.

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by k0rpsey View Post
    There is only one type of animal: delicious and sexy.
    fixed mirite

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    Obv

ETA: how can I be out of touch with reality but an extroverted sensor? Surely they exclude each other.
    smoke weed everyday

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My family were foster "parents" for dogs for a few years and from that I'd say yes, they definitely had their own personalities. Some are more outgoing/energetic, others quiet and low key, some are easily timid and need a maternal figure, others are more confrontational and independent, etc. I've experienced the same thing with dogs I've gotten as pups, who were raised the same by the same people and yet were vastly different.

In that sense I could see animals having weak and strong IE's but I don't know if they work the same as ours do. I guess it's possible that could explain why in the wild animals who become alphas or pack leaders might have "strong Se"
    EII INFj
    Forum status: retired

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I want to be a cat god.
    Cat food it is.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marie84 View Post
    Some are more outgoing/energetic, others quiet and low key, some are easily timid and need a maternal figure
    Yeah. It's so cute, my black cat that I posted is just a nutcase but the other one I have is really timid and no one else wanted her and were going to throw her on the streets had I not taken her in. Those sorts of animals just break my heart...actually the people that would do that break my heart. She's the sweetest cat in the world, she just needs someone patient and I'm glad I rescued her. omg I can't wait to see my kittens soon.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    Yeah. It's so cute, my black cat that I posted is just a nutcase but the other one I have is really timid and no one else wanted her and were going to throw her on the streets had I not taken her in. Those sorts of animals just break my heart...actually the people that would do that break my heart. She's the sweetest cat in the world, she just needs someone patient and I'm glad I rescued her. omg I can't wait to see my kittens soon.
    Yes they are cute, I would like to see your pussy too.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're just so...smooth. How do you do it?