Thread: Improving Type Descriptions

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Improving Type Descriptions

I've looked at many type descriptions, and I've found that I can relate to some but not others. I've thought of some ways that type descriptions could generally be improved:

- Be as general as possible. For example, in describing Ti, it makes more sense to say that Ti dominant types try to live a structured life than to say that everything they do is done in accordance with a rule. Or to say that they are theoretically logical, as opposed to saying that they have a tendency to design theories from the bottom-up.

- Provide alternatives. Talk about how Ne dominant types like to generate ideas, see many possibilities, start projects and don't finish them, are attracted to novelty, etc. Try to mention as many different variations on the same theme as possible, elaborate on them, and mention that, for example, Ne dominant types value most one or more of those variations. By giving as many different variations as possible, it's more likely that the person will see themselves as their correct type, and by explicitly stating that not all of the points necessarily apply, the person won't necessarily be turned away from their correct type either.

- Give concrete examples. It is much easier for people to see if the behaviour mentioned applies to themselves if real-life examples are given.

- Avoid descriptions of characteristics that seem unusual. For example, Ni-dominant types are often described as being keenly aware of the flow of time. I doubt that there are many people who are obsessed with time. Better descriptions, might, for example, describe their imagination, their attraction to the surreal, beautiful or unusual, etc.

That's all I have. Maybe others could come up with some ideas as to what a good type description entails.

Jason

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your suggestions here are good, Jason. The socionic type descriptions can definitely be improved. That about providing alternatives and giving concrete examples is especially important. And there is too much mumbo-jumbo crap stemming from Jung's eight types, like the talk about time intuition in relation to . (Jung talked about N in general as the time dimension.) is about correctly estimating probabilities (but not only that), which is related to time in a sense but not in the mystical way that is described in many type profiles.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jason_m View Post
    I've looked at many type descriptions, and I've found that I can relate to some but not others. I've thought of some ways that type descriptions could generally be improved:

- Be as general as possible. For example, in describing Ti, it makes more sense to say that Ti dominant types try to live a structured life than to say that everything they do is done in accordance with a rule. Or to say that they are theoretically logical, as opposed to saying that they have a tendency to design theories from the bottom-up.

- Provide alternatives. Talk about how Ne dominant types like to generate ideas, see many possibilities, start projects and don't finish them, are attracted to novelty, etc. Try to mention as many different variations on the same theme as possible, elaborate on them, and mention that, for example, Ne dominant types value most one or more of those variations. By giving as many different variations as possible, it's more likely that the person will see themselves as their correct type, and by explicitly stating that not all of the points necessarily apply, the person won't necessarily be turned away from their correct type either.

- Give concrete examples. It is much easier for people to see if the behaviour mentioned applies to themselves if real-life examples are given.

- Avoid descriptions of characteristics that seem unusual. For example, Ni-dominant types are often described as being keenly aware of the flow of time. I doubt that there are many people who are obsessed with time. Better descriptions, might, for example, describe their imagination, their attraction to the surreal, beautiful or unusual, etc.

That's all I have. Maybe others could come up with some ideas as to what a good type description entails.

Jason
    Good job Jason... I appreciate what you're doing here.

I agree with you--the Socionics descriptions can be improved... The ones on the wiki are the best so far, IMO--and even those are incomplete... (Hell, the ENFp isn't even half done, despite bing the most popular type page on wikisocion.)

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you guys.

Jason

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

where are good type descriptions??

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Darkstar View Post
    Remarkably bland, actually. We often try to correlate "personality" with "person", but this not always the case. An ENTj may try to accrue wealth, but only because they think they need it. They may not actually desire to be wealthy at all, but only correlate it with necessity. They need other things, too, but they may not really know what to make this need. Instead of eating healthier, they are more likely to just throw as much money as possible at their health issues and hope they can "buy" their way back to health.

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I find that cream goes well with strawberrys.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey you guys make no sense at all!!

I'm looking for links with underlines to websites that contains good type descriptions with socionic types with down to earth descriptions written by a know it all socionic guru!11

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Strawberrys taste the best when you sneak in to someone elses straweberry land at night and eat a couple of litres.

And when you hear a sound you stop, your ears perk up and your heart starts to beat. Nothing. Then you go on with the looting.

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Strawberrys taste the best when you sneak in to someone elses straweberry land at night and eat a couple of litres.

And when you hear a sound you stop, your ears perk up and your heart starts to beat. Nothing. Then you go on with the looting.
    Go to wikisocion or get socionics.org translated by google.