Results 1 to 26 of 26

Thread: Type My Library:

  1. #1
    Let's fly now Gilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    24,757
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Type My Library:

    Unfortunately I have not yet read all of these books but they are all representative of some area of interest of mine, or have been recommended by people whose tastes are in line with my own and were mostly thought over and researched before purchasing. This is sort of my "portable" library, which changes depending on when I have most recently been to my parents house (the residence of my "full" library), what has been recommended to me,

    Fiction:


    The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit and Children of Hurin (can't find my copy of The Silmarillion; this is somewhat unsettling ) by J.R.R. Tolkien
    Legend of Luke by Brian Jacques
    Kafka On The Shore and The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami
    The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury
    Tales of H.P. Lovecraft
    The Earthsea Trilogy
    and The Lathe of Heaven by Ursula LeGuin
    Narcissus and Goldmund
    by Herman Hesse
    A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
    A Prayer for Own Meany by John Irving
    The Thief Lord by Cornelia Funke
    Dubliners by James Joyce
    1984 and Animal Farm by George Orwell
    Paradise Lost by John Milton
    Moby Dick by Herman Melville
    Sandman: The Dream Hunters by Neil Gaiman and Yoshitaka Amano
    Saffron and Brimstone by Elizabeth Hinde
    Timothy; or, Notes of an Abject Reptile by Verlyn Kinkenborg
    The Man Who Planted Trees by Jean Giono
    Klondike Tales by Jack London
    Scarface: The Beginning by L.A. Banks ()

    Poetry/Plays:

    A complete Yale edition set of all Shakespeare plays and other writings
    Great Sonnets, a compilation
    The Norton Anthology of English Literature (thank you AP English )
    No Exit and Others by Jean-Paul Sartre
    The Making of a Poem: A Norton Anthology of Poetic Forms compiled by Mark Strand and Eavan Boland
    Non-Fiction:
    Gods in Everyman
    and Gods in Everywoman by Jean Shinoda Bolen
    Ruling Your World by Sakyong Mipham
    Questioning The Millenium by Stephen Jay Gould
    The Tender Carnivore and the Sacred Game and Nature and Madness by Paul Shephard
    Being and Time and Basic Problems of Phenomenology by Martin Heidegger
    The Problem of Pain and Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
    An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding by David Hume (vomit...)
    Practical Philosophy and Critique of Pure Reason by Immanuel Kant
    Mahabarata retold by William Buck
    Buddhist Scriptures, a compilation
    Bhagavad-Gita (as it is) translated by A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada
    Reincarnation by Josheph Head and S.L. Cranston
    Zen Physics by David Darling
    The Human Odyssey by Thomas Armstrong
    Tao Te Ching by Lao Tzu (translated by Ursula LeGuin)
    The Tibetan Book of the Dead translated by Robert A. F. Thurman
    Prometheus Rising by Anton Robert Wilson
    Cosmos by Carl Sagan
    One Continuous Mistake
    by Gail Sher
    The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle
    Zen in the Martial Arts by Joe Hyams
    The Little Book of Buddhism by the Dalai Lama
    Essays and Poems by Ralph Waldo Emerson
    Freakanomics by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner
    The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
    The A.A. Big Book and the N.A. core text
    The Alcoholism and Addiction Cure by Chris Prentiss
    Some coffee table book about John Landis



    JUDGE ME, DAMMIT
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

    Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

  2. #2
    smccosker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    270
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    You read too much. But from your selection I'd say an NT. Can't tell much else. How is the scarface book?

  3. #3
    Darkstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    718
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    kinda hard typing someone with what kind of books they have, tell us rather which one you have read and what you thought of it or why you have chosen those books.

    Just my two cents

    btw, I see you have lots of buddhist, zen buddhist and stuff like that. How were those kind of books? Did you get enlightment?

  4. #4
    jessica129's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,122
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Introduce some Nora Roberts into your life.

  5. #5
    Let's fly now Gilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    24,757
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    *hideous amounts of projectile vomit*

    Sorry...

    I shelved Nora Roberts/J.D. Robb for about two months at the book store. I don't know why anyone reads that woman's garbage. On top of being a trashy popular romance/mystery writer, she's absurdly egocentric: she "hired" her husband to erect a museum in her honor. What the fuck?

    She is the crack-cocaine of modern writing: cheap, trashy entertainment void of any need for complex thought, imagination, or introspection to enjoy. I would compare her books to a TV series like The OC. Anyone who reads her books is almost always immediately ticked off of my list of people who are possibly intelligent and interesting, and onto a list not meaningful enough to merit a real title, but most accurately referred to as "post-modern trash."

    Get some Haruki Murakami or Herman Hesse into your system, THEN try to justify Nora Roberts as a good writer.

    Darkstar, I'm trying not to work on it
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

    Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

  6. #6
    jessica129's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,122
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    lol! Actually I've only read two of her books and I wanted to gouge my eyes out by the time I got done with the 500-something pages of nothing-ness..I only read it to pass time on my work breaks. Perhaps I will pick something up off your list.

  7. #7
    Let's fly now Gilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    24,757
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    lol! Actually I've only read two of her books and I wanted to gouge my eyes out by the time I got done with the 500-something pages of nothing-ness..I only read it to pass time on my work breaks. Perhaps I will pick something up off your list.
    A wise decision. I would recommend Murakami if you're looking for fiction: he is very surreal and completely awesome. Also Herman Hesse is a master of spinning a good tale; I've only read Narcissus and Goldmund, but it was absolutely enthralling, in my opinion.

    As far as lighter fiction reading goes, well, I don't really do any myself (except Harry Potter; if you haven't read these, you actually might want to consider starting the series: they are fun but dark at the same time; easy to read, but not shallow like most popular literature...definitely worth your work breaks, and will probably end up bleeding into your free time ) but from what I saw at the book store, Janet Evanovich is really popular and supposedly hysterical, and her writing doesn't exude anything like the copious amounts of pretense that Nora Roberts' books make up for their lack of real creative substance with. James Patterson is another popular author who is allegedly worth reading, although I haven't experienced him first-hand myself.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

    Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

  8. #8
    smccosker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    270
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    GILLY IS A PUNK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  9. #9
    Let's fly now Gilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    24,757
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    ^_^; I think I have a fan! How embarrassing...
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

    Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

  10. #10
    Landlord of the Dog and Duck Subteigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    EII-Ne Sp/So
    Posts
    14,936
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    From the little I know and remember about some of those authors and works, I would say Beta predominates the other quadras. But considering that 90% of all literature is written by INFps, this wouldn't be surprising.
    EII-Ne
    5w4 or 1w9 Sp/So

  11. #11
    Blaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,725
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Subterranean View Post
    From the little I know and remember about some of those authors and works, I would say Beta predominates the other quadras. But considering that 90% of all literature is written by INFps, this wouldn't be surprising.
    wow. is that really true?

    ILE

    those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

  12. #12
    Landlord of the Dog and Duck Subteigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    EII-Ne Sp/So
    Posts
    14,936
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
    wow. is that really true?
    I might have exaggerated substantially.
    EII-Ne
    5w4 or 1w9 Sp/So

  13. #13
    from toronto with love ScarlettLux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Posts
    3,401
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
    wow. is that really true?
    Quote Originally Posted by Subterranean View Post
    I might have exaggerated substantially.
    He actually means 90% of GOOD literature


    Dress pretty, play dirty ღ
    Johari
    Nohari

  14. #14
    ~~rubicon~~ Rubicon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Chatbox
    TIM
    SEI, 9
    Posts
    5,268
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Have you read Moby Dick yet, Gilly? If you have, d'you think it's worth reading?
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2005
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Posts
    11,586
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Subterranean View Post
    90% of all literature is written by INFps, this wouldn't be surprising.
    Incorrect. 90% of literature was written by ESFjs. Of the remaining 10%, 4% was also written by ESFjs, and of the remaining 6%, 100% of it was written by Story Cat.






  16. #16
    Let's fly now Gilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    24,757
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    Have you read Moby Dick yet, Gilly? If you have, d'you think it's worth reading?
    Sadly, no, I haven't.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

    Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

  17. #17
    eunice's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    TIM
    Ne-INFj
    Posts
    2,955
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Wow, you really read alot and remember what you have read.

    I'm more into non-fiction, especially when I can apply what I have read. I can't really appreciate fiction if it doesn't evoke anything out of me.

  18. #18
    Snomunegot munenori2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kansas
    TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Posts
    7,739
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    Fiction:

    The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit and Children of Hurin (can't find my copy of The Silmarillion; this is somewhat unsettling ) by J.R.R. Tolkien
    Legend of Luke by Brian Jacques
    Kafka On The Shore and The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami
    The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury
    Tales of H.P. Lovecraft
    The Earthsea Trilogy and The Lathe of Heaven by Ursula LeGuin
    Narcissus and Goldmund by Herman Hesse
    A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
    A Prayer for Own Meany by John Irving
    The Thief Lord by Cornelia Funke
    Dubliners by James Joyce
    1984 and Animal Farm by George Orwell
    Paradise Lost by John Milton
    Moby Dick by Herman Melville
    Sandman: The Dream Hunters by Neil Gaiman and Yoshitaka Amano
    Saffron and Brimstone by Elizabeth Hinde
    Timothy; or, Notes of an Abject Reptile by Verlyn Kinkenborg
    The Man Who Planted Trees by Jean Giono
    Klondike Tales by Jack London
    Scarface: The Beginning by L.A. Banks ()

    Poetry/Plays:

    A complete Yale edition set of all Shakespeare plays and other writings
    Great Sonnets, a compilation
    The Norton Anthology of English Literature (thank you AP English )
    No Exit and Others by Jean-Paul Sartre
    The Making of a Poem: A Norton Anthology of Poetic Forms compiled by Mark Strand and Eavan Boland
    Non-Fiction:
    Gods in Everyman and Gods in Everywoman by Jean Shinoda Bolen
    Ruling Your World by Sakyong Mipham
    Questioning The Millenium by Stephen Jay Gould
    The Tender Carnivore and the Sacred Game and Nature and Madness by Paul Shephard
    Being and Time and Basic Problems of Phenomenology by Martin Heidegger
    The Problem of Pain and Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
    An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding by David Hume (vomit...)
    Practical Philosophy and Critique of Pure Reason by Immanuel Kant
    Mahabarata retold by William Buck
    Buddhist Scriptures, a compilation
    Bhagavad-Gita (as it is) translated by A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada
    Reincarnation by Josheph Head and S.L. Cranston
    Zen Physics by David Darling
    The Human Odyssey by Thomas Armstrong
    Tao Te Ching by Lao Tzu (translated by Ursula LeGuin)
    The Tibetan Book of the Dead translated by Robert A. F. Thurman
    Prometheus Rising by Anton Robert Wilson
    Cosmos by Carl Sagan
    One Continuous Mistake by Gail Sher
    The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle
    Zen in the Martial Arts by Joe Hyams
    The Little Book of Buddhism by the Dalai Lama
    Essays and Poems by Ralph Waldo Emerson
    Freakanomics by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner
    The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
    The A.A. Big Book and the N.A. core text
    The Alcoholism and Addiction Cure by Chris Prentiss
    Some coffee table book about John Landis



    JUDGE ME, DAMMIT
    Bolded stuff is good. Red stuff is AWESUM.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

  19. #19
    Snomunegot munenori2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kansas
    TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Posts
    7,739
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Subterranean View Post
    From the little I know and remember about some of those authors and works, I would say Beta predominates the other quadras. But considering that 90% of all literature is written by INFps, this wouldn't be surprising.
    Interestingly, my Intro to Fiction class in my last semester seemed to have multiple INFp authors. Zora Neale Hurston, James Joyce, James Baldwin. Even ESTp maybe (Jack Kerouac)?
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

  20. #20
    Haikus Sirena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    GAH, US
    TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Posts
    2,549
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    lol! Actually I've only read two of her books and I wanted to gouge my eyes out by the time I got done with the 500-something pages of nothing-ness..I only read it to pass time on my work breaks. Perhaps I will pick something up off your list.
    Ugh, I'm with ya! I managed to get through one of her romance novels and completely hated it. I don't like reading romance at all. Not sure how some women can't get enough of it. I once started reading "Mr. Darcy Takes A Wife" written by Linda Berdoll, which is supposed to be a sequel to Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice." As much as I like Jane Austen, I couldn't get past the first 3 chapters of this book. There it sits on my bookshelf, never to be opened again.

  21. #21
    Let's fly now Gilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    24,757
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    Bolded stuff is good. Red stuff is AWESUM.
    Wow, you have REALLY similar interests to me, if that is representative of your tastes, Mune...like, those are almost all of my favorite I disagree with some of the Gita's philosophy right off the bat, but I am going to continue reading it anyways, I think. The Mahabarata is pretty awesome, though; I really like the idea of lacing philosophies into a story to convey their subtleties rather than expounding on them more explicitly...it makes me want to write an epic


    I haven't read the Wind-up Bird Chronicle yet...I'm saving it for when I can completely devote my reading attention to it. Murakami is FUCKING AMAZING
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

    Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

  22. #22
    . willekeurig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,512
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    I would recommend Murakami if you're looking for fiction: he is very surreal and completely awesome. .
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    Murakami is FUCKING AMAZING
    I got Kafka on the Shore for my birthday from my godmother about two years ago. The back cover that said it's about a 14-year old boy who runs away from home and that one of the main themes is "examining identity". It totally sounded like some low-quality novel old people often buy to their angsty teenage relatives to help them handle "the emotional storms of puberty", so I left it at that.

    Now, a moment ago I decided to go and check out my bookshelf because I couldn't get to sleep, and since there was nothing else I hadn't read a million times already I decided to google whether it actually is crap or not. And this thread came up. I guess you convinced me to give it a try.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1981slater View Post
    Axis of Evil: Iran, Iraq, North Korea and Agarina
    Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa Darmandzhyan
    Agarina does not like human beings; she just wants a pretty boy toy.
    Johari Nohari

  23. #23
    Decadent Charlatan Aquagraph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Continental Vinnland
    TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Posts
    3,967
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'd suggest adding Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance to your library.

    I lost most of my spiritual virginity to Tao Teh Ching.
    “I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden

  24. #24
    Let's fly now Gilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    24,757
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agarina View Post
    I got Kafka on the Shore for my birthday from my godmother about two years ago. The back cover that said it's about a 14-year old boy who runs away from home and that one of the main themes is "examining identity". It totally sounded like some low-quality novel old people often buy to their angsty teenage relatives to help them handle "the emotional storms of puberty", so I left it at that.

    Now, a moment ago I decided to go and check out my bookshelf because I couldn't get to sleep, and since there was nothing else I hadn't read a million times already I decided to google whether it actually is crap or not. And this thread came up. I guess you convinced me to give it a try.
    Heh, Kafka is like, intensely awkward but also incredibly well-written. The concepts are a little stereotypical but the writing and storyline are anything but. Overall it's not what you are labeling it to be, but he has better books.
    Last edited by Gilly; 11-07-2012 at 12:52 AM.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

    Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

  25. #25
    Feel God's Thunder Azure Flame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    West Jesus
    TIM
    Neon Ninja Phoenix
    Posts
    1,539
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I know plenty of ENFj's who read a lot because apparently reading is how you look smarter than you actually are.

    "oh yes, well john locke said this... can't you believe how true that is?"
    "oh me too"
    @Gilly should just do what he should already have been be doing: overacting on a broadway stage.
    Perfect<------------------------------------------------------------------------------>Loops and Tings



    Ambivert / Aggressor / Trailblazer / Nomad / Alpha Caretaker / Free Spirit / Kevlar Speed Demon / Ninja

  26. #26
    Let's fly now Gilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    24,757
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Arendee View Post
    I know plenty of ENFj's who read a lot because apparently reading is how you look smarter than you actually are.

    "oh yes, well john locke said this... can't you believe how true that is?"
    "oh me too"
    @Gilly should just do what he should already have been be doing: overacting on a broadway stage.
    ...seriously?
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

    Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •