Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: What functions do you see?

  1. #1
    Expat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    10,853
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default What functions do you see?

    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

  2. #2
    Haikus
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    MI
    TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Posts
    10,060
    Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Did almost nothing for me at all. No offense but I kind of wish I didn't watch that.

    , , , and

    1. An intense (well I consider my subtlety intense in real life) emotional atmosphere isn't relevant at all. He cares very little of provoking emotions in others and seems to want us to study things from his own viewpoint.

    2. - Enterprises not giving a shit that they're colorless? I'm sure there's more to say about this but somebody better at Te than I am could try.

    3. The Se vs. Si thing I'm actually a lil confused about but I say . It's obviously just not oomph-y or drive-y enough to have in it. It cares more about the aesthetic sense of the water. The music is also horrible in the beginning and doesn't seem to match well. It seems to want the person to go there themselves rather than exerting spirit to move them along. Plus he really does walk/carry himself like some sort of Gamma.

    4. ... he talks a lot about general potentialities of things, that's so . is more forecasting immediate events in the here-and-now. I don't see him doing this. He's talking about empires and blah blah and zzzzzzzzzzzz. 'For who would bear the whips and scars of time.' That is SOOO mixed in with .

  3. #3
    Haikus
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    MI
    TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Posts
    10,060
    Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    I also couldn't hear him that well... my speakers have been acting up all day, and plus the vid is a bit quiet so take my opinion for what its worth, but yeah lol he seems totally Gamma. Just that Gamma-y...ness.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    907
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    There is also a lot of . I think it is a mistake to think of only as boisterous, loud and enthusiastic. In this case the actor was very good at communicating the despondent state (communicating/expressing an emotional state = ) very effectively, also non verbally through body language. can also be lowkey and quiet. I often think the 'loud' aspect of is stressed too heavily and confuse people to what really is.
    INFp

    If your sea chart does not match reality, go with reality (Old mariner saying)



  5. #5
    The Iniquitous inumbra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    TIM
    954
    Posts
    5,989
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    It opens in a turbulent way, with the music and the water... and him standing at the edge... and there's a sense of suspense and anticipation... is he going to jump? I saw this as (anticipation, suspense)/ (turbulence, movement).

    But then the camera starts zooming in on his head... and I thought how odd... are we being transported into his mind, will we discover what has brought him to this?

    But then the familiar words of Hamlet begin to play. And I think Hamlet is , so it must .

    The more he goes on the more I feel I'm being lulled to sleep... And I start thinking this movie is really about . His words are calming. His manner is calming. Everything is so calm now, but there is the subtle depression hanging about... a muted, toned down haze. And I'm not even noticing the words he says anymore... there's no contrast. And I'm thinking for him.

    Then he gets up from the rock he's lounging on... and wanders to the edge... and the anticipation rises again... except I know he isn't going to jump because this is Hamlet. He's just being melodramatic... but staring down into the water and reflecting on his melodrama... I start thinking again... even if it seems .

    He is lost in his mind the entire time. And in the way of an introverted perceiving function. He seems > though for some reason. Maybe it's the overall more feel of the movie itself? I don't know.

  6. #6
    Suomea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    TIM
    ILE-Ti
    Posts
    1,054
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    ...
    Last edited by Suomea; 09-28-2008 at 12:40 AM.
    Suomea

  7. #7
    Suomea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    TIM
    ILE-Ti
    Posts
    1,054
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    ...
    Last edited by Suomea; 09-28-2008 at 12:40 AM.
    Suomea

  8. #8
    Let's fly now Gilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    24,757
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Ni to the max, more focus on Fe than Te.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

    Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

  9. #9
    The Iniquitous inumbra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    TIM
    954
    Posts
    5,989
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The soliloquy and the movie are not the same thing...

  10. #10
    Suomea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    TIM
    ILE-Ti
    Posts
    1,054
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    ...
    Last edited by Suomea; 09-28-2008 at 12:40 AM.
    Suomea

  11. #11
    Park's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Beyond the blue horizon
    TIM
    SLI
    Posts
    13,088
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Some weird-ass Ni.

    ENFj.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

  12. #12
    Park's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Beyond the blue horizon
    TIM
    SLI
    Posts
    13,088
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default What functions do you see? #2

    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

  13. #13
    The Iniquitous inumbra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    TIM
    954
    Posts
    5,989
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default What functions do you see? #3


  14. #14
    Expat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    10,853
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    The soliloquy and the movie are not the same thing...
    I got your point about it having a soothing quality. The soliloquy is definitely + , but since the movie also focuses on things like the sea and it's "sleepy", it could be argued that it's also . On the other hand, I think that the use of the sea location has to do more with than .
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

  15. #15
    ~~rubicon~~ Rubicon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Chatbox
    TIM
    SEI, 9
    Posts
    5,268
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think it's kinda , , - unconscious Fe though. Like the way the camera zooms in on his head, then fades into the turbulence of the ocean - which I think is showing the turbulent emotions which he is experiencing ... though they aren't externally apparent. Fi dominant? He asks himself what the 'nobler' option would be, which seems to be Fi to me. Fe wouldn't care.

    I thought maybe Si-seeking - because of the emphasis on just wanting to rest, sleep - wanting to end the heartache and pain he's experiencing. The thought of possible discomfort along the line is primarily what keeps him from going through with it. He seems to have a sort of disgust of Ti, or maybe Ni? ... being that it keeps him from acting irrationally and spontaneously.

    I think Hamlet's IEE myself.
    Last edited by Rubicon; 07-28-2008 at 10:15 AM.
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

  16. #16
    Haikus
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    MI
    TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Posts
    10,060
    Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think it is a mistake to think of only as boisterous, loud and enthusiastic.
    I said that I'm quietly intense, buzzing beneath the surface, my emotional implications on others is always apparent... I exude emotion in everything I say, which naturally effects the mood on others. There's nothing boisterous or loud or enthusiastic about it, but it is my . (When I'm at my happiest my is a bit more bouncier and I kind of sound male pop star ish)

    However this guy, the way he's coming across is the opposite to me. Just because he's talking about identity and emotional states doesn't mean that's . It's still very much to me because it's naturally restrained, he just never (innately and naturally) makes me try to feel what he's feeling. I feel as if people are taking the video too much at face value, but I studied it for about 45 minutes before I posted. (Yes, I have no life.)

    He asks himself what the 'nobler' option would be, which seems to be Fi to me. Fe wouldn't care.
    Great point! Yes, I agree he's dominant not . You explained it better than I could.

  17. #17
    Haikus
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    MI
    TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Posts
    10,060
    Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    I got your point about it having a soothing quality. The soliloquy is definitely + , but since the movie also focuses on things like the sea and it's "sleepy", it could be argued that it's also . On the other hand, I think that the use of the sea location has to do more with :Ni than .
    Yes, Expat. 'The sky is blue because it's blue, Asians can't drive because they can't drive, Ruffles have ridges 'cause they taste so good???' For a person so good at you just stated no facts or real evidence in that post whatsoever. Or is this supposed to be just our own literary interpretation since the very nature of it is abstract anyway?

    I hate that. Makes me feel like I'm in a third grade self-esteem class that I don't need. There has to be a right answer! =p

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    907
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    I said that I'm quietly intense, buzzing beneath the surface, my emotional implications on others is always apparent... I exude emotion in everything I say, which naturally effects the mood on others. There's nothing boisterous or loud or enthusiastic about it, but it is my . (When I'm at my happiest my is a bit more bouncier and I kind of sound male pop star ish)
    Yes, I wasn't thinking of you directly when I said is often misunderstood on these boards. I often see people say they do not relate to Beta because they see as loud and obnoxious. Which it really isn't imo. It can be ofc in certain situations but that doesn't mean types approve necessarily when it is.

    Great point! Yes, I agree he's dominant not . You explained it better than I could.
    The part is about communicating his complicated inner feelings and make it tangible to the audience by creating a calm yet agitated introspective atmosphere.

    " Fe is responsible for the perception of an emotional state in an individual, and the bodily and linguistic expression of emotions."

    If you use that explanation of what is then that Hamlet scene positively oozes
    INFp

    If your sea chart does not match reality, go with reality (Old mariner saying)



Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •