Thread: Reflections on type

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Reflections on type

This is one of the few times I will call attention to my own type. Frankly, it makes me a bit uncomfortable as I feel like a narcissist, but I am interested in babbling away about myself for the moment.

I believe I'm an ISTp; that said, I often question my self-typing as I repeatedly read through descriptions of the types and functions in an effort to understand myself better and Socionics as a whole. I must confess I think the model to be quite limited, but I still think it is interesting and to a (slightly) lesser extent useful.

Others types I have considered:

ISTj: I've never given Joy enough credit for this assessment, though I must admit I think it's pretty strong. From wikisocion.org:

(Fi role) The LSI often has trouble differentiating strong relationships from weak relationships. Often he will find himself unsure of his own opinion of the closeness of a relationship.
    This is very accurate. I can never truly tell what someone thinks of me in terms of how 'solid' we are. It's an ongoing concern of mine, though I never show it or make reference to it. To do so would be very embarassing to me.

Closely related to this is a note on Ni polr:

They also tend to be very suspicious of others' intentions, being highly aware that every person is ultimately motivated by self-interest.
    I am not suspcious to the point of being base-line negative or off-putting, but as I never know the nature of a relationship, I constantly keep in mind the fact that everyone has their own interest, and there is only cooperation so long as their interest is similar to my own.

On this same theme, Fe suggestive:

...LSIs need others to create an emotionally inclusive atmosphere where they know they are accepted and liked.
    How much of this is the Forer Effect? I can't tell. But it certainly is relevent to me. I often attribute this to Fi, possibly to my own error.

---

ISFp: I have considered this as well, though several things appear to be off. For the sake of this post, I just want to reference Te polr:

SEIs can be skeptical of beliefs, arguments, and actions that are based on external sources of information or oppose the SEI's values system. Therefore, an SEI could come off as stubborn or rigidly set in their ways.They put more trust in the expertise of someone who seems to have hands-on experience, even if limited, than of someone who only demonstrates having read many books on the same subject.
    In my own experience, I have found personal experience or 'street smarts' to be more effective that book smarts. Where book smarts count, it seems obvious to me to trust one with personal experience to back it up. That said, I am generally not skeptical of official information. I recognize it may not be telling the whole story, but I tend to evaluate the claim on its internal consistency and how it relates to observable facts.

People who are bossy and critical are disliked by the SEI because SEIs usually believe in taking action only when it is prudent for them. They are also prone to avoiding people who demand perfection because that can lead to feelings of inadequacy for the job at hand.
    Again, relevent, but again, Forer effect?

With respect to Te, I don't see it possible for it to be my polr. As pure thought exercise, I find Te mobilizing to be far more likely:

The individual is keen on accumulating factual knowledge on subjects of personal interest and those that help him be more efficient and productive, but he's often unsure of his ability to find and select the correct information and is therefore attracted to people whom he sees as competent in that area and reassure him.
    I mine information, and always have. I annoyed my parents constantly with facts gleaned from various books. In an area where I feel confident, I have no need for reassurance in a task. However, in unfamiliar terrirtory, I do appreciate guidance and affirmation that my speculation and/or brainstormed process/action-plan is a good idea. I can feel childish if I do not receive it, though with age I've gotten much better in subconsciously trusting my own judgement. It's something I even enjoy; "no one's giving me a fucking clue, so I'm interested to see where this is gonna go! Not my fault if it falls apart."

---

Well, I've run out of steam for now. In the near future I'll write about other types. I'm not expecting feedback, but it certainly would be appreciated if you have any comments you'd like to make.
    SLI/ISTp -- Te subtype

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jxrtes View Post
    aaaaahhh! quit messing with my mind (and self-typing).

why don't you think you use ?
    I do, but I've written a lot about it recently, and a good portion - if not all of it - may be incorrect. The idea above was to touch on some of the other functions.
    SLI/ISTp -- Te subtype

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you don't seem to hit my PoLR... I remember you mentioned your sister being IEI. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    you don't seem to hit my PoLR... I remember you mentioned your sister being IEI. Maybe that has something to do with it.
    IEI or ESE... she's really difficult to pin down.
    SLI/ISTp -- Te subtype

from toronto with love ScarlettLux's Avatar
    TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You strike me as being different from the other SLIs on here. I actually kinda like you oddly enough, and don't get that "vibe" I get from conflictors very early on. FWIW. I get you confused with imfd95 as well, and both of you give me the same "vibe" and that is not a bad one.

I don't have any solid opinions on your type other than that but I could definitely see LSI as a probable typing just based on how I intuitively feel about you, funny as it sounds. The way you write also is very soothing for me to read, very calm and well-ordered, logical. Meh, I'm not sure what else to say.

Dress pretty, play dirty ღ
    Johari
    Nohari

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ScarlettLux View Post
    You strike me as being different from the other SLIs on here. I actually kinda like you oddly enough, and don't get that "vibe" I get from conflictors very early on. FWIW. I get you confused with imfd95 as well, and both of you give me the same "vibe" and that is not a bad one.

I don't have any solid opinions on your type other than that but I could definitely see LSI as a probable typing just based on how I intuitively feel about you, funny as it sounds. The way you write also is very soothing for me to read, very calm and well-ordered, logical. Meh, I'm not sure what else to say.
    Thanks for the post, SL! I feel oddly complimented, and a bit surprised you would respond in the first place.
    SLI/ISTp -- Te subtype

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First attempt at a video, watch or don't watch!

SLI/ISTp -- Te subtype

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ENTj
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You remind me of Ashton, just that you are more introverted, laidback and less well-groomed.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    ENTj
    Based on the video?

To be truthful, I think I am usually a little more animated and 'present' than I appear in it.
    SLI/ISTp -- Te subtype

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You remind me somewhat of my friend who I think is LSI-Ti. I love the last few seconds of your video, LOL.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eunice View Post
    ...less well-groomed.
    LOL, guilty as charged. First thing I'm doing when I get back home is trim the beard and cut my hair.
    SLI/ISTp -- Te subtype

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by force my hand View Post
    Based on the video?

To be truthful, I think I am usually a little more animated and 'present' than I appear in it.
    Based on the video, but I have also always held this opinion about your type. You remind me a lot (visually) of at least 3 ENTj friends I have (2 of them are twins), and of Ashton for a fourth one.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Based on the video, but I have also always held this opinion about your type. You remind me a lot (visually) of at least 3 ENTj friends I have (2 of them are twins), and of Ashton for a fourth one.
    Cool, interesting. Thanks for the comment.
    SLI/ISTp -- Te subtype

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by force my hand View Post
    First attempt at a video, watch or don't watch!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iFo4PREzcc
    Holy fuck, you remind me a lot of an LII I know in your speech and mannerisms. (Not that I think you're LII.)
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You never struck me as a SLI in the first place...just never said it.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by implied View Post
    seriously a lot like ashton. perhaps a lot more laid back seeming, but yeah, i agree with you looking a lot like ashton. however that's a piss poor argument for LIE if you think you could be one.
    I have considered LIE before, and think that correlation of mannerisms between people could be an indication of similar type (not sure if that specifically is what's being suggested in favour of facial features alone). Am I going to think about LIE? I'll think about thinking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    Holy fuck, you remind me a lot of an LII I know. (Not that I think you're LII.)
    In all fairness, it could be possible. At first glance, I can't think of any concrete reason against it, exempting Se polr.
    SLI/ISTp -- Te subtype

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    You never struck me as a SLI in the first place...just never said it.
    Boo, Jessica, boo...

Is there any type for me that strikes you over SLI?
    SLI/ISTp -- Te subtype

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The very first impression that I got after the first few seconds of the video was heath.

What that means in terms of type, I'm not sure, but that was my first initial impression.

I enjoyed the video tremendously though.

Edit: I'm finding it interesting that people are point out similarities to Ashton (at least in physical characteristics). I mean, I can see what you're talking about, but that never crossed my mind watching the video, tbh.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Round two: more nonsense.

SLI/ISTp -- Te subtype

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

excellent videos.

the only evidence i see remotely suggesting that you could be like ashton is a similarity in facial structure. such represents a very typical method which people often use to identify various types. unfortunately, such typical methods are largely lost on your case.

however, a more concrete approach to the topics that you chose to discuss reveals some good information. you talked very offhandedly about the socioeconomic effects of the city of thompson, the problems that the local community faces (ie disdain towards alcoholism -- also an SLI topic, perhaps dubious but at any rate it was very reminiscent of my father), and the details of some park you were intending to visit, as well as such commentary as "it's nice up here."

in the second video you didn't say very much of interest and were primarily aware of your external environment -- and so interrupted your communication to describe something interesting that was going on across the street.

it is unfortunate that people's understanding of the SLI type is so putrid around here that jessica, lokivanguard, and winterpark are called SLIs, where you are branded as some other type.

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would think LSE over SLI myself - the first video being almost entirely on Te stuff - facts about where he's staying. I don't see Si-leading myself - he's straight to the point even when he says he doesn't know what he's going to say. (c: There's no dilly-dallying. Also - this is just what I've noticed, but I think Te-leading types tend to have limited facial expressions - using mainly just their mouths (like a grimacing thing) to convey varying expression, as opposed to SLIs who I think have a more easy, languidness about them. Meh - just my thoughts. Nice videos, FMH. (c:
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

Creepy-Diana

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You look and sound SLI (and Canadian) to me.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box