Thread: Not Knowing Your Type

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Not Knowing Your Type

I've seen a lot of people who seem like obvious examples of certain types, yet they don't seem to believe that they are that type. Why is this? Could it be that the type description is unflattering? Or maybe that the description of their type isn't accurate for there perception of themselves? Or maybe something else? What do you think?

Jason

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Public consumption ... i've seen an obviously ENFP senior manager describe herself as an "extreme" J-Type.

Why ? answer is easy enough. Hard work and effiency is prized in that particular organization (something she wants in others but in which she is somewhat deficient herself) while her strength, networking (ie. lunching, coffeeing, travel etc) could be seen as indulgence and may attract envy.

Why not give everone the impression that you are basically a no-nonsense hard worker but can also be socially skilled and creative when needed ... all very hard work for the benefit of all ... The perfect manager !
    ILE

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

they're obviously just idiots
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jason_m View Post
    I've seen a lot of people who seem like obvious examples of certain types, yet they don't seem to believe that they are that type. Why is this? Could it be that the type description is unflattering? Or maybe that the description of their type isn't accurate for there perception of themselves? Or maybe something else? What do you think?

Jason
    Indeed, to pick a few randoms, it could be that :

-the description is unflattering.
    -the one typing has a lack of credibility.
    -the description does not fit as well as they would like or wish.
    -they feel stronger in other functions.
    -they have a skewed self-image
    -the model itself is limited.

Some of the above may be justified, some may not be; but they all may play a role.
    SLI/ISTp -- Te subtype

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it could also be that:

-you're the one who's wrong about their type
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

On tests and personal reflections I have decided on INFp. Not just what people say, but they've helped me reach that conclusion. I thought I could hide from myself but even when I try to appear like somebody else, my INFp ness is quite obvious I believe.

Betas are just the people I miss the most when they're gone. There is that void when they're not in my life. It's an empty, shallow existence. I can 'get along' with other people just fine and even occasionally find their advice very useful, but betas? Betas are my soul, man.

Maybe it's stunted adolescence. But I fucking love it, everything about the Beta quadra. The hot bisexual-esque Frat boy parties, the standing up strongly for what's right in a bravado way.... the doing shocking things to turn people on. The 'fuck it, class is boring let's talk about philosophical shit all day and smoke joints.' Rebelling against authority and creating our own powerful and tribal worlds. I never liked rules/system, and Betas fight against the grain to create outside worlds based on our inner feelings and ideals. That is so awesome. Gamma capitalism be damned. I love reading about activism, especially in ESTp gay males. It's such a fucking turn on. I love how they feed me the logical information I need to survive in the real world. I love their buttering up of my skills and abilities and vice versa.