TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbean View Post
    Alright, first, I want to say one thing, very simple: As Milton Friedman used to say, there is no free lunch. How do you think Canada pays for their socialized health care? Higher taxes. And because the government has no incentive to use resources efficiently, as a whole, socialized health care less less efficient than free market health care.
    Why do you have a problem with the WHO statistics that force my hand cited, including this?:

The U.S. health system spends a higher portion of its gross domestic product than any other country but ranks 37 out of 191 countries according to its performance, the report finds. The United Kingdom, which spends just six percent of GDP on health services, ranks 18 th . Several small countries – San Marino, Andorra, Malta and Singapore are rated close behind second- placed Italy.
    Quote Originally Posted by discojoe
    It's not coincidence that America, the only developed nation that doesn't have socialized medicine, is where almost all new medicine is made. It's because we're not relying on the government that is at the mercy of uninformed citizenry who want everything for free. Try telling a for-profit company that you want everything they make for free. They'll laugh at you and sell their goods to someone who can pay for them. That's something a politician can't afford to do, because it looks mean, and the fact that it actually results in better standards of living for the great majority is almost always overlooked by people who don't like to read history books.
    Exactly what percentage? How does this compare if you take into account America's wealth and large population size?

Having a nationalised health service doesn't stop commercial research, of course.

I believe that at least one university in the UK carrying out research on human embroyo stem cells with funding from the government, which is not something that could happen in America, as the President there vetoed the relevant bill.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the long run there would be more funding overall from investors (if there's money to be made) than there could be from the government. There is, after all, a high demand for continuously improved, new, better drugs/treatment.
    SEE

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    In the long run there would be more funding overall from investors (if there's money to be made) than there could be from the government. There is, after all, a high demand for continuously improved, new, better drugs/treatment.
    A company will sell drugs to meet demand, regardless of how ignorant the buyers are. A government is likely to be more informed than the average buyer (though if they are wrong, their decisions obviously have a greater negative impact).

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drug companies don't like getting sued.
    SEE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fwiw, I do think that people in the US take more drugs than they need to, and the health care system in the US does have a lot of problems. I just don't think that socialized health care is the answer.
    SEE

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Drug companies have no incentive to say "our rival's product is better".

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who does?
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

TIM
    ILE 8w9
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subterranean View Post
    Why do you have a problem with the WHO statistics that force my hand cited, including this?:
    yes
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
    --Theodore Roosevelt

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    -- Mark Twain

"Man who stand on hill with mouth open will wait long time for roast duck to drop in."
    -- Confucius

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Logos View Post
    Who does?
    Johnny McShitpants

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People. Should. Read. Books. About. Health. Economics. (yes, there is a branch of economics exclusively dedicated to this aspect). Before. Discussing.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by discojoe View Post
    Johnny McShitpants
    I forgot about that stupid twat.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    People. Should. Read. Books. About. Health. Economics. (yes, there is a branch of economics exclusively dedicated to this aspect). Before. Discussing.
    You're stupid.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234