Thread: Replaying scenarios

Creepy-ifmd95

Default _

_
    Last edited by ifmd95; 04-19-2011 at 02:12 PM.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, I do this quite often
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

always.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I do it a lot, constantly.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do this with pretty much everything, be it something that's recently happened or something that's going to happen in the future. I often imagine conversations in my head also.
    ILI (Indescribable Lovemaking Inc.)
    5w4 so/sx

"IP temperament! Because today's concerns are tomorrow's indifferences!"

Lord Fnorgle's Domain - A slowly growing collection of music, poetry and literature.
    Stickam music performances

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ifmd95 View Post
    in your head. It could be one of a number of different scenarios: a play you must make in a sport, strategies in a board or card game, solving a problem on a test in a timely fashion. You might also imagine what could go wrong or how it could be improved. But above all it is still repetitive, also distinct from practicing hands-on. Does anyone do a lot of this?
    Yes, usually not until after i'm actually done with it, though.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in your head. It could be one of a number of different scenarios: a play you must make in a sport, strategies in a board or card game, solving a problem on a test in a timely fashion. You might also imagine what could go wrong or how it could be improved. But above all it is still repetitive, also distinct from practicing hands-on. Does anyone do a lot of this?
    for better or worse, it often replaces action. do you ever think something has happened when it has not just because you've rehearsed it so much? today at work, a petty example of this arose. my supervisor asked me if rain guards had been replaced around the house. i answered almost automatically, "yes, the other day." then a few minutes later, it occurred to me that perhaps the rain guards had not been replaced after all and i was confusing the rain guards with some other item that had been replaced. i took a walk around the house and, not surprisingly, the rain guards were old and broken.
    whenever the dog and i see each other we both stop where we are. we regard each other with a mixture of sadness and suspicion and then we feign indifference.

Jerry, The Zoo Story by Edward Albee

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I rent my scenarios from a store. After I have watched them once, I will return my scenarios to the store so that others can replay them.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    I rent my scenarios from a store. After I have watched them once, I will return my scenarios to the store so that others can replay them.
    Do you ever rewind them and watch them backwards?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Do you ever rewind them and watch them backwards?
    Sometimes. But what is highly convenient is putting my scenarios on pause and taking a toilet break.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

from toronto with love ScarlettLux's Avatar
    TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't usually do this, no. I mean, I don't tend to reflect on past situations as much as I focus moreso on the future. I'm not sure what this particular action of replaying scenarios within one's mind reflects in terms of Socionics function values... but I would obviously say it has a lot to do with . However, my creative seems to be solely in the realm of achieving future goals, etc. Not improving or reenacting what has already happened. I do find that a bit odd, really. People who focus too much on the past, that is.

Dress pretty, play dirty ღ
    Johari
    Nohari

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ScarlettLux View Post
    I don't usually do this, no. I mean, I don't tend to reflect on past situations as much as I focus moreso on the future. I'm not sure what this particular action of replaying scenarios within one's mind reflects in terms of Socionics function values... but I would obviously say it has a lot to do with . However, my creative seems to be solely in the realm of achieving future goals, etc. Not improving or reenacting what has already happened. I do find that a bit odd, really. People who focus too much on the past, that is.
    Ni DS
    Last edited by niffweed17; 07-25-2008 at 12:40 AM.

from toronto with love ScarlettLux's Avatar
    TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17 View Post
    Ni DS
    Are you saying that that entire post of mine somehow reflects my Ni DS, or that what I was pondering about -what replaying scenarios is related to- is Ni DS?

I'm thinking obviously former but could you explain how you see what I wrote as Ni DS?

Dress pretty, play dirty ღ
    Johari
    Nohari

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ScarlettLux View Post
    Are you saying that that entire post of mine somehow reflects my Ni DS, or that what I was pondering about -what replaying scenarios is related to- is Ni DS?

I'm thinking obviously former but could you explain how you see what I wrote as Ni DS?
    basically i think the sort of demonstrated lack of focus that you placed on reflection and the events of the past is not particularly fitting with Ni ego, and i think a diminished focus on it (Se ego) would fit both that tendency and your sort of goal-orientedness towards the future rather well.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So far a significant gamma response. Interesting, because what prompted this was something said by an ESI acquaintance of mine who is studying to become an EMT. She does this a lot with her learning material and recalls doing so even before being put to the test with a formal curriculum. As for myself, I discussed earlier with FDG how I went through K12 school primarily approaching problems improvisationally. I would learn more passively a lot of possible intermediate steps beforehand, rather than memorizing a particular precedure routely, repitively. Later as I've found myself in more competitive environments though, I've been trying a bit of both. The results are not dramatic, but it seems to have improved results when time is critical. Above all in more complex problem solving -- because many improvisations that look good initially end up being a dead-end in the longer chains of complex problem-solving. It's increasingly costly not to have some especially probable routes especially mastered beforehand. I wouldn't say it prones me to inaction though. It's something I've tried doing when I am waiting in lines or travelling especially, when I can't act anyway. It's not particularly realistic either, visually. A birdseye view or a diagram is often easier to keep track of than imagining in the first person.
    Mmm yes my experience matches yours. As you say, when time is critical (as it often becomes in some college tests for example) having already played a scenario often at least guarantees that you're not on the wrong path to the solution.

I think though this kind of strategy (for me) works a lot better when I am solving a more tangible problem ex. which path to choose when we're hiking in a place that we don't know well, or how to prepare for the worst possible weather - pehaps because these problems don't have an human component
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

I had words here once, but I didn't feed them Khola aka Bee's Avatar
    TIM
    Meat Popsicle
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can do this along with almost complete sensation at times. It's kinda nice.......

I won't say any more
    Hello, my name is Bee. Pleased to meet you .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BLauritson View Post
    I do this with pretty much everything, be it something that's recently happened or something that's going to happen in the future. I often imagine conversations in my head also.
    pretty much the same for me. the majority of my 'replays' (not really a good word since most of the time its about things that have yet to happen) are conversations, though most of the time i can just hear my own voice. I even imagine conversations where I'm talking about my habit of imagining conversations, so it can get a bit recursive.