Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Fictional Exemplars of the Consensus Leader Type

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    TIM
    TiNe
    Posts
    7,967
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Fictional Exemplars of the Consensus Leader Type

    Who is this masterful leader who inspires men to reach beyond political differences?

    Exemplars:
    - Leonardo of the Teenage-Mutant Ninja Turtles
    - Optimus Prime of the Autobots (Transformers)
    - W.I.T.C.H.'s Will
    - Scooby Doo's Fred
    - Final Fantasy IV's Cecil
    - Shining Force Neo's Max
    - Final Fantasy Tactics' Delita
    - Final Fantasy X's Yuna
    - Star Ocean: The Second Story's Claude
    - Star Ocean: Till the End of Time's Fayt Leingod
    - Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria's Alisha
    - Megaman X's Signas
    - Gargoyle's Goliath
    - Dragon Ball Z's Goku
    - Fire Emblem's Eliwood
    - Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stone's Ephraim
    - Grandia's Justin

    [additions welcome]

    These people are remarkable for not shying away from the word "we" when talking about people with different ideals. They put their energy into creating a group atmosphere in which people feel comfortable talking about their concerns and needs from other members in the group. They easily accept political power and will usually use it for the good of the group as a whole; using it otherwise threatens the coherence of the group and leaves them ill at ease. They are the glue which binds humanity together.

    The consensus leader will never make a decision without first obtaining the advice of other members in the group; this because they are determined to make a decision which respects the wishes of all members of the group while offering a practical solution to immediate environmental concerns. They think of themselves as a part of the group and have little confidence in their capacity to set a goal for the group that is not in the group's immediate interest. It is unnecessary for them to think in terms of far off plans or impending catastrophes, because they need only concentrate on that which the group can agree to pursue. Rather, they accept the plans and warnings that are offered to them as the concerns of the group, and create a project that takes all expressed concerns into account while maintaining the shared ideological coherency of the group members in the interest of mutual survival.
    Last edited by tcaudilllg; 07-19-2008 at 01:51 PM.

  2. #2
    Ti centric krieger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,983
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I recognize only 3 characters from that list. :/

    You got a list of Caution and Bold leaders like this too?

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    TIM
    TiNe
    Posts
    7,967
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    I recognize only 3 characters from that list. :/

    You got a list of Caution and Bold leaders like this too?
    Wikipedia is your friend?

    I'm thinking that maybe the names "caution" and "bold" are inappropriate. Maybe "visionary" and "advisor" or "counselor" would be more apt.

    I'm going to make a list of those too, when I get around to it.

  4. #4
    Ti centric krieger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,983
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Make that 4; I know Goku. I know Leonardo from the turtles, but it's too long ago I've seen the series to remember what he's like.

    Some of these titles are quite obscure. Do you know of any "leaders" from more commonplace pop materials, such as Star Wars or the Lord of the Rings...?

    Yoda and Gandalf Caution leaders...? Frodo Consensus? Han Solo Bold?

    Just some attempts.

  5. #5
    Stormy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Herts, UK
    Posts
    151
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tcaudilllg View Post
    Who is this masterful leader who inspires men to reach beyond political differences?

    Exemplars:
    - Leonardo of the Teenage-Mutant Ninja Turtles
    - Optimus Prime of the Autobots (Transformers)
    - W.I.T.C.H.'s Will
    - Scooby Doo's Fred
    - Final Fantasy IV's Cecil
    - Shining Force Neo's Max
    - Final Fantasy Tactics' Delita
    - Final Fantasy X's Yuna
    - Star Ocean: The Second Story's Claude
    - Star Ocean: Till the End of Time's Fayt Leingod
    - Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria's Alisha
    - Megaman X's Signas
    - Gargoyle's Goliath
    - Dragon Ball Z's Goku
    - Fire Emblem's Eliwood
    - Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stone's Ephraim
    - Grandia's Justin

    [additions welcome]
    - Discworld's Carrot Ironfoundersson
    [Stormy] [LII]

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    TIM
    TiNe
    Posts
    7,967
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    Make that 4; I know Goku. I know Leonardo from the turtles, but it's too long ago I've seen the series to remember what he's like.

    Some of these titles are quite obscure. Do you know of any "leaders" from more commonplace pop materials, such as Star Wars or the Lord of the Rings...?

    Yoda and Gandalf Caution leaders...? Frodo Consensus? Han Solo Bold?

    Just some attempts.
    Good calls.

    OK, Aragorn is definitely a consensus leader. (DEFINITELY) I think Frodo probably is, too, now that you mention it. Sauron probably as well... he is described in the Silmarillion as having once been charming and fair, before he lost his body in Numenor's collapse. But Morgoth I think was a bold type, probably, because he is described as having walked alone in far off regions where others would not follow. His counterpart Manwe may be a consensus leader (the favored choice of Illuvatar for rulership of Arda); however, I have doubts because he was unable to appraise the chronic evil of Morgoth's nature, and thus (unwisely) let him go. A true consensus leader probably would have been more circumspect in their decisions.

    Leonardo had a remarkably undeveloped personality. He leads and... that's pretty much it. On the other hand, the focus during those itty bitty 22-minute segments was on the action, not on the characters. I remember there was some (momentary) development in terms of how people reacted to various mutations, but I don't think I remember hearing the word "hate" throughout the entire series.

    Think of the consensus leader as the guy who has balls enough to actually order others around without paying them for it. "Follow me!", "Let's go, team!". Obviously in real life, they say it in less obvious terms. One good indicator that the protagonist of a story is a consensus leader, is that every character relates to the leader on basis of representing an ethnicity or interest group. They usually appear as leaders of a country, perhaps a disinfranchised prince or princess.

  7. #7
    Ti centric krieger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,983
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Think of the consensus leader as the guy who has balls enough to actually order others around without paying them for it. "Follow me!", "Let's go, team!".
    As in Frodo's "I will take the ring into mordor!".

    And of course his instant compliance to Bilbo's request (or was it Gandalphs'...) to take the ring out of the Shire.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •